Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

G0RF posted:

^^^ This.

Imagine a game where every crater on every moon has more content than Skyrim. Now imagine a universe of such moons. Add planets, wormholes, spaceworms, myriad sentient alien races each with their own languages, all of this tied together with a Quantum economic simulator.

Now stop imagining, and start spending.

Star Citizen.

Correction :

Now keep imagining, and start spending. And keep spending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

UnknownTarget posted:

IIRC wasn't it one of the major things in the original pitch though? Like the video centered around it.

Yeah, the original concept was basically Freelancer 2.0, with the solo portion being Squadron 42, which would then boot you out into the wider PU when you were done. Plenty of people backed for that, but no one still bought in now actually wants or cares about that anymore, no matter how much lip service they give it - they just want Space Second Life.

Well, they do care about it, but not about playing it - they assume a bunch of non-backer people will buy it and it will fund a bunch more PU development.

What I DON'T think was in the original pitch was how much on-foot combat S42 and the PU would have. It was supposed to be all dogfighting. But I'd have to go check.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 26, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Zzr posted:

Glad you asked, print it after reading.

Fight Club 2 will have this manifesto sitting vacant at the copy machines. Awaiting their pickup to enlighten the masses.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sarsapariller posted:

Time for a roadmap update.

Looks like all the spaceships for the already cut-to-pieces 3.8 got... cut, except for a brand new ship which showed up out of nowhere like magic! Yow!

lol the whole point of quarterly patches was so that features wouldn't be held up for certain things so they'd wait for the next quarter patch to add them

they are already breaking the thing by having ships come out between patches

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

K8.0 posted:

Correction :

Now keep imagining, and start spending. And keep spending.

True. The more you spend, the more you’ll need to imagine.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sarsapariller posted:

Time for a roadmap update.

Looks like all the spaceships for the already cut-to-pieces 3.8 got... cut, except for a brand new ship which showed up out of nowhere like magic! Yow!

I was looking for the S42 roadmap update thread, and there isn't one, because there were no progress updates. :lol:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Cao Ni Ma posted:

lol the whole point of quarterly patches was so that features wouldn't be held up for certain things so they'd wait for the next quarter patch to add them

they are already breaking the thing by having ships come out between patches

Fudster, it's staggered development.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I was looking for the S42 roadmap update thread, and there isn't one, because there were no progress updates. :lol:

That means it's just about finished, should release any moment now.

I'm starting to seriously wonder if they are going to announce it's cancelled.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Popete posted:

The game engine isn't the problem with SC. It's that they have no design plan and just kept making ever more absurd promises that they had no idea how to get working.

Yeah exactly.

You select an engine that supports your gameplay goals.

Roberts had no gameplay goals and selected an engine that he thought made things look pretty.

It's impossible to say what a good engine would have been. On paper SC is everything and nothing. In order to speculate what engine might have worked you'd first have to define what the game is even supposed to be. Unreal probably would have been better for their single player space game. But their kitchen sink space mmo? Man I dunno.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mendrian posted:

Yeah exactly.

You select an engine that supports your gameplay goals.

Roberts had no gameplay goals and selected an engine that he thought made things look pretty.

It's impossible to say what a good engine would have been. On paper SC is everything and nothing. In order to speculate what engine might have worked you'd first have to define what the game is even supposed to be. Unreal probably would have been better for their single player space game. But their kitchen sink space mmo? Man I dunno.

Pretty sure you build one. Most MMOs do.

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017

Bofast posted:

Makes a certain degree of sense, I suppose.
The LA area isn't exactly known for being cold. I don't think Austin is, either. The Manchester area has comparatively mild climate for northern Europe and Frankfurt doesn't seem to be that cold.
I don't know where Chris has lived before, but maybe he's almost as clueless about cold climate as he is about space :D

Somewhere between -20 C and -30 C is where they tend to cancel/delay professional ski competition events and such, if I recall correctly.

Also later stages of hypothermia, which this commando should certainly be in, you stop shivering entirely. This is something we are warned about, and told to get back inside asap and warm up.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Warhawk109 posted:

Also later stages of hypothermia, which this commando should certainly be in, you stop shivering entirely. This is something we are warned about, and told to get back inside asap and warm up.

Basically at that stage you strip naked because you feel hot.

They should have mocapped that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Pretty sure you build one. Most MMOs do.

Yeah this is one of those cases where there is no correct answer. The BDSSE simply wasn't possible for in 2012 for $20 million.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
*Fun not yet actually in game

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Warhawk109 posted:

I think he’d be well past the point of shivering, and into severe frostbite territory.

As someone who’s experienced -40, -50 C temperatures routinely. poo poo is no joke. Typically they won’t even let us work when it’s that cold. If they do, we go out for 5 minutes at a time and warm up for 15 minutes after, before going out again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RsWnAUVWQY&t=54s

Also, get the full documentary if you can. It's great.

Also, I would once again like to point out that CO₂ sublimates at -79°C at normal atmospheric pressure. Below that, you're breathing dry ice.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 26, 2019

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Star Citizens, they hate Battlefield and COD, they call them 'copy/paste clones', they would never stoop so low as to ever been seen glancing at either.

Star Citizens, they believe that CInotG blatantly copy/pasting the Battlefield formula and quickly knocking up their own version but without the expertise to make it good, is a "huge win" for them and will revitalise SC somehow.

How are they so incredibly unaware and unintelligent?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah this is one of those cases where there is no correct answer. The BDSSE simply wasn't possible for in 2012 for $20 million.

Nah, "build one" doesn't mean it isn't possible. CIG is massively incompetent. "BDSSE" is bullshit but there are tons of engines that can do most of the things SC needs to. They're just incompetent as hell.

But "cutting edge game" is never going to be possible in "off the shelf engine". Those two things just don't jive. Doing one means not doing the other, inherently.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Zzr posted:

Glad you asked, print it after reading.

oh god.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sabreseven posted:

Star Citizens, they hate Battlefield and COD, they call them 'copy/paste clones', they would never stoop so low as to ever been seen glancing at either.

Star Citizens, they believe that CInotG blatantly copy/pasting the Battlefield formula and quickly knocking up their own version but without the expertise to make it good, is a "huge win" for them and will revitalise SC somehow.

How are they so incredibly unaware and unintelligent?

Hey, it's just a way for them to test the combat, so it's fine!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I love the facepalm react emojis even on their fan message board

*digital carrack plushie release unknown

marumaru
May 20, 2013

just as real as the ship!

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Wait, isn't the "telescope" actually a sextant? I only ask because I have a late 18th century example under my desk as I type.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

That's a sextant, not a telescope.

Also I find it kind of amusing that someone would actually be manufacturing a modern "scifi" sextant in SC's future. Wouldn't anyone interested in owning one of these as a decorative piece want an actual vintage brass piece instead of that? It's a minor point but it's a pretty weird decision.

Edit: gently caress, beaten

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017

Tippis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RsWnAUVWQY&t=54s

Also, get the full documentary if you can. It's great.

Also, I would once again like to point out that CO₂ sublimates at -79°C at normal atmospheric pressure. Below that, you're breathing dry ice.

That’s really cool. Also there was this guy on JRE podcast that crossed Antarctica on cross country skis, pulling a sled with all his food and gear that was really interesting. They had to calculate how much food and fuel he could pull on the sled and budget it out for the approximate number of days it would take. I think his daily caloric requirements were something like 10k calories. There were times he’d actually have to layer down because his body would generate too much heat and sweat, which you don’t want to happen in that environment.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Why is there Hank Hills reflection in the visor of this very awkward looking commando?

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 26, 2019

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

How the gently caress do you use a sextant in space?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

SelenicMartian posted:

it's a space sextant

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Wait, isn't the "telescope" actually a sextant? I only ask because I have a late 18th century example under my desk as I type.

Yes, I thought about calling that out too.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

SelenicMartian posted:

Point it at something and dream.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

gently caress me that last comment, LMBO.

And I'm saying that as someone who once pulled over 32 hours on a weekend to help save a fileserver cluster which had corrupted backups by writing a C++ program to try and salvage what was possible.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

So much pressure to finish stuff on time...for an indeterminate release date. That's just terrible management.

Anyone else get the feeling that Theatres of War was put in because Calder is forcing Chris to make something, anything that might be complete and make some money?

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

SelenicMartian posted:

I doubt you could use the CIG digital goodie sextant on Earth to be honest. Despite there being literally thousands of images they could have archered and just stuck a Microtech badge on, they seem to have gone for something a bit more original and invented a sextant that looks like it has the horizon mirror in the wrong plane and where the index mirror is apparently completely transparent.

Then again, I don't understand space sextant development.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Jonny Shiloh posted:

I doubt you could use the CIG digital goodie sextant on Earth to be honest. Despite there being literally thousands of images they could have archered and just stuck a Microtech badge on, they seem to have gone for something a bit more original and invented a sextant that looks like it has the horizon mirror in the wrong plane and where the index mirror is apparently completely transparent.

Then again, I don't understand space sextant development.

Actual honest-to-goodness celestial navigation is extremely difficult, and if you have ever calculated a 4 LOP celestial fix you will forever be in awe of the explorers of ages past who relied on it to successfully navigate.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Warhawk109 posted:

Colostomy Bag posted:

Basically at that stage you strip naked because you feel hot.

They should have mocapped that.

The nervous system version of an integer overflow
:thunk:

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Golli posted:

Actual honest-to-goodness celestial navigation is extremely difficult, and if you have ever calculated a 4 LOP celestial fix you will forever be in awe of the explorers of ages past who relied on it to successfully navigate.

LOL I do love a good nautical almanac - but yeah, my esteem for the likes of Cook and his contemporaries is only topped by my admiration for the Great Navigator himself High Grand Admiral of the Fleet and Bar Crobbers, hand steady on the tiller of the good ship Clod Umpirium as he charts his erratic course through unknown waters in search of the best drat sinking ship ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Popete posted:

*Fun not yet actually in game**

**actually not a game