Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sufficient
Aug 7, 2006
I'M A FUCKING IDIOT
p.s. don't wear condoms

Ali Aces posted:

Hey Sufficient, I (@Smello in game) took this cheap build and made some tweaks to it, and figured I'd post it.
Good stuff Smello! Always looking for slight tweaks for builds, I might incorporate some of those when I have the motivation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
I'm trying to make an alien David Bowie character if Bowie had actually been an alien and also female (but still androgynous). BEHOLD

I obviously need to come up with a good origin story, and I need a third costume that screams Labyrinth.

....this game, y'all, this game.

atomicgeek fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 21, 2019

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The first one is definitely Bowie but the second one is more Annie Lennox from the Eurythmics.

One of my alts is Jareth the Goblin King, but I didn't like how the costume turned out. You might have a better shot using the female model since they get some stuff I wish the male models had. The lack of 80's teased hair designs is a real downer for my creativity.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

anybody got any experience with Disrupt from Energy Aura? Moon says it sucks up all your END insanely fast but I'm curious if other people had different experiences

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

Freakazoid_ posted:

The first one is definitely Bowie but the second one is more Annie Lennox from the Eurythmics.
Hey thanks. Second was supposed to be the Thin White Duke, but I think Annie Lennox is fair enough. Yeah, there aren't enough teased to hell hair designs, ugh.

quote:

One of my alts is Jareth the Goblin King, but I didn't like how the costume turned out. You might have a better shot using the female model since they get some stuff I wish the male models had. The lack of 80's teased hair designs is a real downer for my creativity.
Do tell though seriously!

atomicgeek fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 21, 2019

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

LordSaturn posted:

anybody got any experience with Disrupt from Energy Aura? Moon says it sucks up all your END insanely fast but I'm curious if other people had different experiences

It guzzles end like crazy, plus it's a mag 2 stun that doesn't stack with itself, so it can only stun minions. It might be marginally useful if your primary has stuns.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Gynovore posted:

It guzzles end like crazy, plus it's a mag 2 stun that doesn't stack with itself, so it can only stun minions. It might be marginally useful if your primary has stuns.

yeah its garbage. skip and use the slot for something better out of pools.

Old_Screwtape
Nov 18, 2014
A while ago, I realized I needed lots of influence to fund my characters getting kitted out. On Live this didn’t really matter since I had accumulated tons of influence over the years one way or another. On Homecoming though, I had to farm or use the markets. Farming eats up my play time on something that doesn’t really feel like advancement or fun. And marketeering is not as easy as it was on Live: it’s no longer just a matter of listing item drops as you level and having a nest egg at 50. (Though this can sort of still be done, the actual influence gain is not on the same scale as it used to be.) After a bit of testing, I settled on a way to make influence that is generally straightforward and not relying too much on niches or chance. Here's what I've been doing:
  • Buy a (relatively) inexpensive purple recipe and necessary salvage;
  • Wait at the market for bids to fill;
  • Craft the recipe (with the invention discount coupon);
  • Convert enhancement “out-of-set” into any one out of the purple damage sets;
  • Sell new enhancement at a reserve of 20 million on market.
Basically, I’m converting and flipping purples.

The nice thing is that demand and price are generally stable so you aren’t going to lose your shirt buying up purples and having the market for them collapse. Also, it limits the cost and risk of conversion because the more profitable versions of converting enhancements for money rely on jumping from uncommon to rare within a given type and, often, going for an specific/unique within a given type like a Miracle or Numina unique.

That all said, there are few caveats though:
  • You need about 18 million influence to get started and about 175 million to be in full gear;
  • You want a bunch of merits/enhancement converters (rather than purchasing converters on the market);
  • You’ll have decent profits but the net gains are not the highest; and
  • The risk/randomness is limited but it’s still there, with some conversions taking more than a few tries to get something reliably high priced
Anyway, that’s my marketeering effort post for folks who might need it.

Old_Screwtape fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 24, 2019

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Most of what I'm doing to fund my characters is doing TFs for the weekly strike bonuses and selling converters at 80k a pop. I'm not putting together the really super defense bonuses, though.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The cinema event is really quick with a decent group and gives 1M a go, plus an enhancement that at least used to reliably sell for a few million

Sufficient
Aug 7, 2006
I'M A FUCKING IDIOT
p.s. don't wear condoms
I have never farmed, all my money came from converting and AHing, which I found to be not nearly as time consuming and tedious, but the money comes in steadily over a few days instead of all at once. Buying and then converting is definitely worth the time investment. I haven’t spent more than 30 minutes a week converting in the past few months though. I did all my serious AHing back in August and still have billions of inf left over that I’ve helped goons/randoms out with the past 3 or 4 months along with being able to kit out any new alts that strike my fancy by the time they’re 22.

Now that I’m lazier and have my 5 “mains,” I just save my merits for converters, make recipes that I pick up while playing with salvage I get while playing. Once I get a all the tray tabs full with set IOS, I sell the decent ones and convert the rest when my enhancement trays fill up all at once (when it forces me not to be lazy and do something about it).

Once in a while though I’ll throw some bids on yellow, already made, enhancements 10-20 at a time that have been recently bought for under 300k and rack up a few hundred enhancements in my bought tab for a rainy day. It really takes no effort, but I try not to do it so much anymore because if too many people are doing it, things could theoretically get out of hand - as they were starting to at the end of August.

Edit: another reason to convert a lot at once is that you can do it anywhere! Do it while waiting for a TF to fill, do it during an MSR, do it when waiting for everyone at the mission entrance. There a ton of sets that sell for over 2mil, that’s usually the minimum I shoot for if I’ve already spent more than 4 or 5 converters. It’s worth it to use a lot more if you have some pvp enhancements you are converting or converting within some sets such as lotg to get the +rech, defense or def/end which go for most.

Sufficient fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 25, 2019

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I come back today to find the 80+ hours I put into my base have been wasted as everything is gone. :negative:

Sufficient
Aug 7, 2006
I'M A FUCKING IDIOT
p.s. don't wear condoms

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I come back today to find the 80+ hours I put into my base have been wasted as everything is gone. :negative:

What happened?!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
It's totally gone. I already send a message about it. But yeah. It's all gone.

Sufficient
Aug 7, 2006
I'M A FUCKING IDIOT
p.s. don't wear condoms

Deadmeat5150 posted:

It's totally gone. I already send a message about it.
That’s ridiculous, sorry to hear that 😕
Hopefully they can find your base.

I tried a (albeit quick) google search to see if it’s a common issue, but no dice. Did you check the HC forums or reddit already?

Hachiman
Jun 17, 2018

Deadmeat5150 posted:

It's totally gone. I already send a message about it. But yeah. It's all gone.

That sucks! Any word from the DEV's?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Not so far. I'll check later today when I get home from work.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
As I understand it, the SG base map server is a fickle beast. All sorts of stuff can go wrong for dumb reasons.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's bumming me out that Indom is such a low-population server so everyone needs to come back and fill the goon chat again so I can easily find people to play with, thanks

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

As I understand it, the SG base map server is a fickle beast. All sorts of stuff can go wrong for dumb reasons.

my spawn point was changed to inside the portal thingy so i couldnt move once lol

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

atomicgeek posted:

Do tell though seriously!

uhh well here's a pic

John Murdoch posted:

speak of, saw this weird moon in my base a couple days ago

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

John Murdoch posted:

Cryptic outsourced bases to another company, so the spaghetti code is even spaghetti-er than usual.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That's why base raids never happened, wasn't it? I heard some claim that the whole thing was so creaky, there was a non-zero chance of crashing a whole server.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

That seems amazingly probable. That and it was promised on people not behaving like people.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Bieeanshee posted:

That's why base raids never happened, wasn't it? I heard some claim that the whole thing was so creaky, there was a non-zero chance of crashing a whole server.

Base raids were implemented, and they "worked". However, they were incredibly clunky and unfun, and the idea behind them was moronic, so no one did them, ever.

EDIT: Also, with Cathedral of Pain not working, there was no reason to run them other than bragging rights, and since there were maybe five or six dedicated PvP-ers, why bother.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Nov 27, 2019

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Some of the leftover stuff make cool decorations though. I loved the floating stone heads hovering just behind some chairs.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I haven't played these servers or looked into them much since like a week after they first popped up in May or April or whatever. I remember there being some rumblings of getting the rights or NCsoft taking action at some point. Did anything ever come of that at all?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Nothing tangible that I recall, but honestly this is a case where no news is still probably good news. If NCsoft wanted to kill Homecoming they would've done so by now, not left it freely running for months and months.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
It would only be bad PR for them at this point- something that they don't need any more of.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Sankis posted:

I haven't played these servers or looked into them much since like a week after they first popped up in May or April or whatever. I remember there being some rumblings of getting the rights or NCsoft taking action at some point. Did anything ever come of that at all?

As soon as this happened, a Super Secret Team was promptly dispatched to NCsoft headquarters for negotiations. Supposedly these people are under an NDA and cannot discuss anything. However, since it's been 5-6 months with no news at all, I'm guessing NC is taking an unofficial position of 'do what you want'.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Gynovore posted:

Base raids were implemented, and they "worked". However, they were incredibly clunky and unfun, and the idea behind them was moronic, so no one did them, ever.

EDIT: Also, with Cathedral of Pain not working, there was no reason to run them other than bragging rights, and since there were maybe five or six dedicated PvP-ers, why bother.

On that note, the arenas have always baffled me. Someone clearly had fun moving the construction crews around every so often, but... did anyone actually use the things? I mean, at least the PVP zones had some value for gankers.

It felt like the time my tabletop CoX-knockoff GM desperately tried to get us interested in building custom supermobiles, while we stayed loyal to our rusty old camper van.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Didn't this all go back to, "WoW has X, WoW makes money, therefore you must have X too" phenomenon?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
pvp seems like a natural thing to implement once you have player villains, but pvp in general has been around before wow. They just did it better than anyone at the time.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Freakazoid_ posted:

pvp seems like a natural thing to implement once you have player villains, but pvp in general has been around before wow. They just did it better than anyone at the time.

Ah yes, logging out for hours only to come back and find someone STILL camping your corpse was always fun.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Freakazoid_ posted:

I was gonna say PVP was in before villains, but realistically I4, which was otherwise pretty threadbare on content (remember that a big bulk of it was just adding the costume parts from Korea's City of Hero) would've been around when they were starting or in the middle of production on CoV and were likely using it the arenas as a test.

Which of course worked marvelously well for making GBS threads on /Regen a little more and not much else since PVP was broken as hell at CoV launch too.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
I think people only use the Arenas for the day job badge, but when I park someone there I'm amazed at how pretty the interiors are. The floors are polished to a mirror shine.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
edit: wrong thread!

I haven't played on Homecoming in a while due to laptop trouble, but have they turned on the Winter events?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Nemo posted:

I haven't played on Homecoming in a while due to laptop trouble, but have they turned on the Winter events?

Nope.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Nemo posted:

edit: wrong thread!

It started today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hachiman
Jun 17, 2018

OgNar posted:

It started today.

Yep, there was an update today, winter started, it is snowing, events are up.