Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Popete posted:

*Fun not yet actually in game

Zzr posted:

**actually not a game

remember: it's not meant to be fun. go play space invaders if thats what you want. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Popete posted:

How does Eve Online handle thousands of people on a single "server"? I mean I know each system is it's own instance but there is presumably still a lot of meta data to track not to mention the big hub systems having hundreds of people coming in and out.

They create bubbles of influence for each player. If your ship has a weapon with a range of two km and a speed of 100 meters per second then, for the next second, you can only interact with ships up to 2.1 km away and safely ignore everybody else Optimizations like that cut the network and server load.

And, if the load is still too large then they just slow down time in-game so that the server can handle the mess. Which is a thing you can do in a game like EVE but not in SC

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Needs the dashcon ball pit.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Eve Online has one second server ticks. That is a 1 Hertz client to server functionality rate, or a 1000ms baked in response rate (before network latency, etc).

Try playing an actual single shard FPS or flying MMO with that. This is why what Croberts has been promising, and the way he has been promising it, is completely and utterly absurd.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 27, 2019

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah, "build one" doesn't mean it isn't possible. CIG is massively incompetent. "BDSSE" is bullshit but there are tons of engines that can do most of the things SC needs to. They're just incompetent as hell.

But "cutting edge game" is never going to be possible in "off the shelf engine". Those two things just don't jive. Doing one means not doing the other, inherently.

That's why I said for 20 mil, the amount they thought they would have to work with. Building a cutting edge MMO engine that does things no engine ever can do is a big deal. 20 mil might not be enough to pull it off.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

So what are the space-sims best recommended to non-hardcore players?

For all the deserved poo poo thrown at No Man's Sky I do appreciate you don't need to anything about space-games to start, and over time all the promised features have been patched in. I haven't played Outer Wilds but I hear it's like the Little Prince meets Groundhog Day complete with an emotional undercurrent and banjo-music. The edge Star Citizen has over these titles is that it's an absurdist comedy about fanatics who shovel money into an idol that looks like a honking Gary Oldman.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Zzr posted:

Glad you asked, print it after reading.
*snip*

Oh God yes, that's the stuff. I was about to post it myself. Saving to my phone this time in case of emergencies.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mendrian posted:

Yeah exactly.

You select an engine that supports your gameplay goals.

Roberts had no gameplay goals and selected an engine that he thought made things look pretty.

Please stop this FUD, he didn't select the engine. There was only one group of people willing to do his Kickstarter video for him, and that group happened to use cryengine. The rest is history.

If those dudes had chosen to use ScummVM to do the trailer then Chris would be currently trying to add SSOCS to his space Monkey Island rip-off.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Zushio posted:

Oh God yes, that's the stuff. I was about to post it myself. Saving to my phone this time in case of emergencies.

Remember to wave your arms in multiple directions while reading it aloud.
This is part of the ritual.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

trucutru posted:

Please stop this FUD, he didn't select the engine. There was only one group of people willing to do his Kickstarter video for him, and that group happened to use cryengine. The rest is history.

If those dudes had chosen to use ScummVM to do the trailer then Chris would be currently trying to add SSOCS to his space Monkey Island rip-off.

ChrisRobertsMonkeyIslandHandWaving.gif

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Dogeh posted:

Remember to wave your arms in multiple directions while reading it aloud.
This is part of the ritual.

Done and done.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Inspector Gesicht posted:

For all the deserved poo poo thrown at No Man's Sky I do appreciate you don't need to anything about space-games to start, and over time all the promised features have been patched in. I haven't played Outer Wilds but I hear it's like the Little Prince meets Groundhog Day complete with an emotional undercurrent and banjo-music. The edge Star Citizen has over these titles is that it's an absurdist comedy about fanatics who shovel money into an idol that looks like a honking Gary Oldman.
NMS is great now but not without its issues. Outer Wilds was fun but not a space-sim at all, instead it was a RPG set in space, with some very, very broken FPS combat (I beat it and should have the platinum trophy for it shortly). Elite Dangerous is by far the best kinda sorta multiplayer space-sim experience, followed by EVE (Dual Universe is still in closed testing and Hellion is dead). X4 is amazing but also amazingly broken (which should be expected, another year or two of patches and it will be great). There's a whole host of other space-like games out there, just type in "space" and you get everything from RTS stuff to Space Engineers. It's a loving great time to be a space game fan.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Help, Jedi fallen order has a bunch of problems too, but I'd deffo recommend playing it through origin access for $15. Play through the titanfall 2 campaign too, if you decide to pick it up

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
I recently picked up playing swtor again. I used to be leader of a guild and do crazy 48 hour binges trying to win conquests, and missed the best parts of the game which is completing all the stories.

This time I’m just going turn chat off and treat it like a sp game.

Sometimes I get the urge to queue up war zones, but I gotta resist that because it could snowball from there also.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Sorry Beet, but I couldn't resist :D

(I reckon this could be another of those "add a bit to the tapestry of fail" type deals, it's perfect for it :D )

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sabreseven posted:

Sorry Beet, but I couldn't resist :D

(I reckon this could be another of those "add a bit to the tapestry of fail" type deals, it's perfect for it :D )

Don't apologize, that's better lol

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Majestic.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Someone add a Fyre Festival tent in the back.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Ja Rule is just as scummy as Roberts, to the extant that they'd merge into a hideous mass like the bad guy from Time Cop if they were to meet.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
this whole thing has just lasted far too long. even the backers have blanched to this whole cycle of ship sales

I...I might admit this whole Star Citizen thing is becoming a bore, even with the insane leaks I continue to get

I honestly think that's the death knell. when even I can't be interested

this is gonna turn into another SoTA or Pantheon and even when Chris Roberts dies there won't be more than a few dozen posters to comment

shits sad man

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Dante80 posted:

Eve Online has one second server ticks. That is a 1 Hertz client to server functionality rate, or a 1000ms baked in response rate (before network latency, etc).

Try playing an actual single shard FPS or flying MMO with that. This is why what Croberts has been promising, and the way he has been promising it, is completely and utterly absurd.

There's several FPS MMOs, and you could easily do it by just separating out the servers between the different parts. Or, you know, like all the other MMORPGs, it's not as if the modern ones in the WoW mould are any less sensitive to timing, what with how the cooldowns work. Or look at the Realm of the Mad god, frantic bullet hell MMO right there, done very much on a budget.

Plus I remember hearing that significant portions of EVEs code were/are written in python, so maybe not the best example there. And EVE even has an FPS spinoff which could have been trivially integrated into the main game if they wished.

e: It's really not the issue you seem to think it is, except in that the server costs would be non-negligible (but then it's an MMO, so). All the fancy graphic bullshit is clientside (well not physics but even that gets fudged).

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 27, 2019

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

TheAgent posted:

this whole thing has just lasted far too long. even the backers have blanched to this whole cycle of ship sales

I...I might admit this whole Star Citizen thing is becoming a bore, even with the insane leaks I continue to get

this is gonna turn into another SoTA or Pantheon and even when Chris Roberts dies there won't be more than a few dozen posters to comment

shits sad man

F2P SC with creepy dance parties in caves?

Can't wait.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
When Cracked starts making fun of you is when you know you've hit rock bottom.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dante80 posted:

Someone add a Fyre Festival tent in the back.

Did the Fyre Festival run short on potatoes?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

shits sad man

I have faith in the backers' stupidity and superiority complex. Them not buying ships (which are a great investment that only goes up uP UP) is unpossible.

Also, you don't get to say you get insane leaks without paying them you tease

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

House of the Dying Sun? Freespace 2 with free upgrades. Freespace 2: Diaspora is a standalone BSG mod that's really good.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

How some of the customers are enjoying their time on the "snow planet" after scoring Chris' awesome timeshare deals:
https://i.imgur.com/29tstgD.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/FB3mdp9.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/cSMcGqS.mp4

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Private Speech posted:

There's several FPS MMOs, and you could easily do it by just separating out the servers between the different parts. Or, you know, like all the other MMORPGs, it's not as if the modern ones in the WoW mould are any less sensitive to timing, what with how the cooldowns work. Or look at the Realm of the Mad god, frantic bullet hell MMO right there, done very much on a budget.

Plus I remember hearing that significant portions of EVEs code were/are written in python, so maybe not the best example there. And EVE even has an FPS spinoff which could have been trivially integrated into the main game if they wished.

e: It's really not the issue you seem to think it is, except in that the server costs would be non-negligible (but then it's an MMO, so). All the fancy graphic bullshit is clientside (well not physics but even that gets fudged).

The context of my post had to do with Eve online and SC. The reason that you can have a battle like X47L-Q in a single shard server is because Eve Online is a MMORPG with 1Hz server ticks. And even then, vigorous use of TiDi is the only way to fit 5,000 people in the same battle. Of course there are FPS MMOs around, and even ones that can accomodate a lot of players at the same time. There are even games in development right now that are supposed to do what Croberts wants (see Dual Universe).

What Croberts wants, how he wants it though? Its impossible.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Facebook Aunt posted:

That's why I said for 20 mil, the amount they thought they would have to work with. Building a cutting edge MMO engine that does things no engine ever can do is a big deal. 20 mil might not be enough to pull it off.

Yeah that's fair. 20 mil is like maybe enough if you were super efficient and knew what you were doing, but cutting edge you'd probably need more like 50-100, crazy money.

Space games worth playing:
X-WING
TIE
Freelancer
X3
EVE Online
NMS
Elite Dangerous

You probably want either Freelancer, NMS, or Elite depending upon what you want in your space game.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 27, 2019

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The original scope of Star Citizen was perfectly viable. The game was heavily instanced, with each interaction between players confined to a limited (and temporary) zone that was spun up on a server as needed. Imagine every interaction equivalent to something like Arena Commander. You come in, you fight, you interact, you leave. When you leave the instance dies, stuff inside sits on a timer on some server, and then eventually it simply ceases to be. The end result would have been something really cool, since the game could have been crafted to make every instance an interesting vignette which emphasized the supposed Space Opera nature of the game. We had even gotten excited about the possibility of Capital Ship combat being something complete new, with cap ships never occupying the same space but instead fighting at ranges of thousands of kilometers with real delays between shots. That might have been (more) wishful thinking though; as we're well aware CIG was spinning whatever they wanted. At least it had the advantage of actually being viable.

Instead Chris Roberts turned it into an open world game and hosed it all up, like he fucks up everything he touches.

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That might have been (more) wishful thinking though; as we're well aware CIG was spinning whatever they wanted. At least it had the advantage of actually being viable.

Yeah, possibly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhsgiliheP0

*fiddles with the controller while the monitor plays a video*

eczemaandbalding
Nov 26, 2019

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The original scope of Star Citizen was perfectly viable. The game was heavily instanced, with each interaction between players confined to a limited (and temporary) zone that was spun up on a server as needed. Imagine every interaction equivalent to something like Arena Commander. You come in, you fight, you interact, you leave. When you leave the instance dies, stuff inside sits on a timer on some server, and then eventually it simply ceases to be. The end result would have been something really cool, since the game could have been crafted to make every instance an interesting vignette which emphasized the supposed Space Opera nature of the game. We had even gotten excited about the possibility of Capital Ship combat being something complete new, with cap ships never occupying the same space but instead fighting at ranges of thousands of kilometers with real delays between shots. That might have been (more) wishful thinking though; as we're well aware CIG was spinning whatever they wanted. At least it had the advantage of actually being viable.

Instead Chris Roberts turned it into an open world game and hosed it all up, like he fucks up everything he touches.

Aw come on now don't be too harsh.
He doesn't gently caress up Star Citizen, the jerks that forget to put camera 2 on screen 1 are fuckin' it up.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/WakelessAudio/status/1199516808971259905

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Lethality is such a piece of poo poo lmao. He's maybe the least sympathetic character in this shitshow, somehow below sandi

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

WakelessAudio now woke?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Regarding EVE, I would heavily suggest not playing it. I was heavily involved in it between 2007 and 2012, and I made a lot of friends, acquaintances, and enemies. The one common thing I hear when I talk to every one of those people is that EVE is a lot like cigarettes. You want to quit because you realize it's too much, it takes a while or you go cold turkey, but for the rest of your life there will be occasional pangs where you want to play the game again. You remember the bad times and the shittiness and everything else about the game and then the urge dies. Until the next time EVE makes the news or CCP sends you an e-mail about a new update that sounds super cool. Then you have to talk yourself out of it once again.

The solutions to server issues were all pretty cool though. Dedicating a single shard to each of the four trade hubs helped tremendously as did dynamically changing/scaling shards to deal with not just big battles but also people travelling to big battles. By monitoring the travel the system is able to figure out where to "reinforce" a single system by dedicating a shard to it, and another to surrounding systems. This made it so battles of more than 500 people could happen without everyone getting disconnected.

Aside from other methods mentioned earlier in the thread, there was also the way they set up grids. For the most part, empty space was not rendered until someone tried to warp to it. Large structures that are permanently in a single place (such as stations, outposts, player owned towers, planets, etc) have their own grid that is where ships appear - outside of that grid you will not be able to see anything inside the grid. I do not know the full details of how grids work (especially now) but there was a point at which Goonswarm figured out a way to manipulate grids (which were reset after regular maintenance) so that they'd be very small. Small enough to where there was no way to snipe towers outside of the range of their defenses. I don't know the full details of how that works because I wasn't a part of the section of Goonswarm that dealt with that. It's also one of the last things I heard before checking out of the game so I didn't pay a ton of attention.

I've always been a fan of the various ways EVE tried to fix server lag and it actually got pretty good. The downside of that was it meant bigger and bigger blobs, until the point where small fleet warfare consisted of fleets that were as large as what was considered a large fleet when I began the game. The days of 10 man fleets going around and blowing up other 10 man fleets is gone.

That game did ruin me in that while I never was into space sims before, I became extremely against them after I realized that they're mostly flight sims where there's no ground. I don't like the fixed guns where you have to get into specific orientation and much prefer EVE having a ship AI aim turrets while you try to stay in the correct position regarding distance to enemy and dealing with tracking issues. That is not what most space sim players want though, so I'm mostly done with space sims.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheAgent posted:

shits sad man

Yeah, its just become a wet fart at this stage.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is a fun single player game that just came out and does a lot of what Freelancer used to do except with more style.

Elite Dangerous is basically the only space-sim MMO and it's pretty good at what it does, if a bit heavy on the space trucking sometimes.

I haven't played X Rebirth and I've heard virtually nothing about it but it exists? So, you know. There's also X4 Foundations. One of them is crap and one of them is newer and I forget which is which.

Infinity Battlescape is a giant space-to-ground multiplayer wargame that is just now leaving early access and looks like a lot of fun if you have a crew to run with.

Kerbal Space Program is awesome and I don't know if it really fits here but you can mod the poo poo out of it until it really does resemble a far-future space sim and the physics are great.

House of the Dying Sun is a great 20-minute starfighter shoot em up-slash-puzzle game

Star Trek Bridge Crew is a super short, sub-5-hour VR experience that is absolutely the closest thing you'll get to ever being on an actual spaceship bridge with friends. It's also on sale this week for like, seven bucks.

Everspace is a rogue-like with a spaceship and I believe a sequel is coming out soon.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Freespace 2. Get it off GoG then install Freespace 2 Open @ http://www.fsoinstaller.com/.

The gold standard in space dogfighters.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 27, 2019