Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
You still have you receipt? I'd like to know when 12TBs were available for 160; I've only ever seen 10TBs get that low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

sharkytm posted:

It's not hard?
If you need directions, find the shucking directions and reverse the steps. The elements drives that I've shucked had 4 rubber bumpers screwed into the corners of the drive, and the PCB screwed in at the bottom. Slide them back in, close the case, done.

D. Ebdrup posted:

Watch a shucking video in reverse?

I just shucked these last night, so I'm familiar with the process. All the shucking videos I've seen just yank them right out without paying much attention to how the rubber pads sit in the casing. Since they're all different it's not super obvious how to do it. I figured since people theoretically do this for warranty claims fairly often that there might be some typical phrase that was used for that.

edit: I just spun up my ZFS pool last night and am working on transferring data. I ended up just using ZFS on Proxmox directly since PCIe passthrough to FreeNAS was proving troublesome.

As far as networking goes, is there an advantage to using NFS instead of Samba?

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 24, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BeastOfExmoor posted:

As far as networking goes, is there an advantage to using NFS instead of Samba?
The biggest difference between SMB and NFS nowadays is that NFS provides proper file locking, via NetworkLockManager on Windows and Linux and lockd on FreeBSD, and that NFS integrates with Kerberos to provide fully-encrypted NFS over WAN.
As far as speeds go, I've managed to get both working up to the limit of my 1/1Gbps FTTH, so I'm happy.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Sheep posted:

You still have you receipt? I'd like to know when 12TBs were available for 160; I've only ever seen 10TBs get that low.

Sorry I'm a moron. I actually bought 10tb drives a while back

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Well, my Synology 1515+ backup NAS is humming along with 5 new 8TB WD Elements drives in SHR-2 which will provide about 22TB of backup space once it finishes building the array. Have to say it's amazing how well this technology works.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

That’s why you buy a couple 10GbE cards and plug your NAS right into your gaming rig :eng101:

Apologies for the old post dredging but I'm curious, would it be better to get something like a Drobo DAS and make it accessible on the network, at that point?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Okay so right now I have:

Celeron G540
MSI P67a gd65
4x 4gb some gaming ram
evga 750w b3 psu
2x hitachi 3tb drives
4x wd 4tb red drives

All running on FreeNAS 11 using ZFS

Ideally I'd like to have more storage. I'm not bottlenecked by the CPU because all I use this for is storage and 2x jails. not doing any re-encoding or anything.
However, my last 2 sata ports remaining are a marvell or asmedia or some other non-intel chipset
Also, the ram is not ECC, which would be nice.

I saw that some of the older supermicro boards were going for low prices, so I am considering:
- Keeping the G540, since it's not a bottleneck; does it support ECC? I seem to remember it did, but the ARK page does not mention anything about ECC. Otherwise I could pick up an E3 1220 v3 or similar.
- supermicro X9 SCM or SCL or similar (~$90 CAD)
- 4x 8gb DDR3 ECC ram - do I need just plain ECC, ECC unbuffered, or ECC registered?
- What is the current good HBA card to use for ZFS with FreeNAS?
- Keeping the psu, case, etc.

Would it be a good idea, or should I just abandon that idea and get some things that aren't from 2012?

Budget is undecided.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That Celeron almost certainly doesn't support ECC. For an E3-12xx box, double check the manual for whatever motherboard you get but you will probably want unbuffered, not registered.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Heners_UK posted:

Just to confirm, you mean these 6TB models that appear to be a surprising price blindspot for Seagate in Canada (CAD 119)?

Yep. Unless they sell something different in Canada which I don't think is the case.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I feel really bad shucking and throwing out drive enclosures but at that price I'll be grabbing a few today after work.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
If you've got the space it's not a bad idea to keep the boxes/enclosures around in case you need to RMA a drive, but in my experience by the time something starts to go sideways it's usually time to start seeding new drives in the pool anyway.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
By the time the drives go bad I'm sure either 30TB drives will be the norm or we will all be dead from a nuclear apocalypse.

I bought my 5x 2TB drives in 2010 for my Proliant 40L or whatever. 2TB was the norm then. Having 12TB be the same price as those 2TB just 9 years later is crazy.

If I pick up 5x of those 12TB drives for my aging Proliant, my storage will go from ~7TB on ZFS to ~42? Jesus gently caress.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
How is the ZFS expansion project going?
I don't keep up on the ZFS project or the BSD community like I used to but I think ZFS reflow was projected to finish in Fall of 2018. Has there been any talk of progress?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Hed posted:

How is the ZFS expansion project going?
I don't keep up on the ZFS project or the BSD community like I used to but I think ZFS reflow was projected to finish in Fall of 2018. Has there been any talk of progress?
This and this are the open issues/reviews for the ZFSOnLinux and FreeBSD source trees respectively.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

IOwnCalculus posted:

That Celeron almost certainly doesn't support ECC. For an E3-12xx box, double check the manual for whatever motherboard you get but you will probably want unbuffered, not registered.

Correct; if it doesn't say E3 "2xxx vx" it ain't supporting ecc. There were some weird celeron skus back in the day that did but they're not worth talking about.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Crunchy Black posted:

Correct; if it doesn't say E3 "2xxx vx" it ain't supporting ecc. There were some weird celeron skus back in the day that did but they're not worth talking about.

Well, close. There's no E3-2xxx. The E3-1xxx series supports ECC, normally via Unbuffered ECC RAM. The E5-2xxx supports ECC, normally via Registered ECC RAM. The Celerons, indeed, generally do not.

Obnoxiously, while the E3 series and motherboards are cheaper than the E5 chips and motherboards, unbuffered RAM is typically a good bit more expensive than registered, and tops out at lower total RAM amounts.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Haswell i3-4130 and similar models supported UDIMMs. I have one still and it’s fine. I suspect that HP got Intel to do it for their Microserver line given I saw them use them but nobody else attempt to try low end CPUs with ECC

The first number of the Xeon line historically represents the socket count supported. They got weird with the E3 vs E5 vs E7 business.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

EDIT: I quoted the wrong link.

We're talking about this bad boy... https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X470D4U2-2T#Specifications

quote:

Supports AMD AM4 Socket Ryzen™ Series CPUs
Supports 4x DDR4 ECC and non-ECC UDIMM, max. 128 GB
Supports up to 6 x SATA3 6.0Gb/s (inculded 1 SATA DOM), 2 x M.2
Integrated IPMI 2.0 with KVM and Dedicated LAN (RTL8211E)
Supports2 x RJ45 10G base-T by Intel X550-AT2
Supports 2 x PCIe 3.0 x16, 1 x PCIE 2.0 x1

128GB, IPMI, 2 10G, 2x M.2! That's my motherboard!

The specs for it on the asrock website were confusing. Said 128gb at one spot, 64gb at another, manual says 64gb. So I reached out to tech support and this is what they said:

quote:

Our team have recently finished validating some 32GB memory modules, so now the board is tested to be able to support a total of 128GB memory capacity. Someone will continue to make changes on the product’s specifications page.
The one that they certified for now is made by Samsung. Here is the link to the memory QVL of this board. Thank you!

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X470D4U2-2T#Memory

Hughlander fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 27, 2019

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Ok so it looks like a suitable build would be:

E3 1220 V2: ~$50
Supermicro X9SCL: ~$80
4x 8gb DDR3 ECC: ~$160
Total: $290 or so.
Existing cpu cooler, psu, case, and then something like an LSI 9211 or 9207

Any better ideas? I live in Canada, so selection on supermicro or asrock rack is extremely limited already.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Only note if have is that the X9SCL doesn't have IPMI, if that's important to you. If it is, you'd want the X9SCL-F board. Otherwise that'll be a very capable little system for server duties, even if it's not the most power efficient by modern standards.

e; even though you're in Canada, those boards are up on eBay all the time for <$50, so even after import fees it wouldn't add much to your budget.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Nov 27, 2019

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Has anyone seen any BF deals on UPS units? Had a brief power outage that killed the usb boot stick on my unraid server last night because I'm a dummy that didn't have it protected.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
^^ 650VA/350W for $30 at Office Max/Depot.

If anyone is still buying Reds rather than shucking externals, B&H has them on sale for a few more hours. 8TB for $150.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

Has anyone seen any BF deals on UPS units? Had a brief power outage that killed the usb boot stick on my unraid server last night because I'm a dummy that didn't have it protected.

I haven't seen any yet, but as I mentioned in another thread they're often for sale on Woot as refurbs; e.g. a CyberPower 1500VA for $90.

fadderman
Feb 3, 2008
dyslectic lurker
Hey Goons is a molex to sata something to recommend if my psu doesn't have enough sata connections

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

fadderman posted:

Hey Goons is a molex to sata something to recommend if my psu doesn't have enough sata connections

I feel like I've seen lots of people complain about them melting in the homelab subreddit.

EDIT I guess nobody is gonna post pictures of them *not* melting, so maybe it's not a problem? Personally, I wouldn't do it for very long.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Diddler posted:

I feel like I've seen lots of people complain about them melting in the homelab subreddit.

EDIT I guess nobody is gonna post pictures of them *not* melting, so maybe it's not a problem? Personally, I wouldn't do it for very long.
That's exactly right, it's entirely down to selection bias.
Oh, and people are likely buying the cheapest of the cheap directly from the manufacturers through ebay/alibaba/aliexpress/whatever, so they likely don't get the usual safety testing.

fadderman
Feb 3, 2008
dyslectic lurker
Thanks for the advice, one of the local computer store has a good sale on psu. A Corsair rm750 will go and get that instead

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

fadderman posted:

Thanks for the advice, one of the local computer store has a good sale on psu. A Corsair rm750 will go and get that instead
Seems like a good deal if you keep it ~200-500W DC load, as that gets you over 90% efficiency.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

fadderman posted:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using them if they're well made. As noted though, many are not well made. I've personally seen three of them short out and melt down.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

There shouldn't be anything wrong with a not lovely molex SATA adapter.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

we've been making electricity flow through connected wires for a long time.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Must have been some crazy amount of splitting to melt down something providing power to a sata drive, they’re not really power hogs.

Startech stuff is weirdly expensive but it’s usually fine.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

priznat posted:

Must have been some crazy amount of splitting to melt down something providing power to a sata drive, they’re not really power hogs.

I assume it's a dead short causing it. Yeah don't buy the cheapest garbage and it will be fine. Seconding startech or ask that neckbeard friend you have if their brand name psu came with extras.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

priznat posted:

Startech is expensive because it is the same Chinese poo poo you'd buy off ebay but with a North America call center supporting it and having a pretty generous warranty department.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

priznat posted:

H110Hawk posted:

I assume it's a dead short causing it. Yeah don't buy the cheapest garbage and it will be fine. Seconding startech or ask that neckbeard friend you have if their brand name psu came with extras.
Could be wires that're too thin which makes the potential of one or more capasitors go up, causing heat to be generated (if I remember which, which isn't guaranteed).

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Crunchy Black posted:

Startech is expensive because it is the same Chinese poo poo you'd buy off ebay but with a North America call center supporting it and having a pretty generous warranty department.

They used to be somewhat cheaper, but its gone up as their "reliable cheap stuff" rep has grown.

D. Ebdrup posted:

Could be wires that're too thin which makes the potential of one or more capasitors go up, causing heat to be generated (if I remember which, which isn't guaranteed).

Could be a bad crimp job, especially if it was the connector that melted. Resistance goes up if the wire is thin or if there is a spot with broken strands, or anywhere there is a not so great connection; the high resistance bits get hot.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 29, 2019

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Well, I bought 5x 12TB drives. Time to upgrade my trusty almost 9 year old N36L from 5x 2TB it had to a much, much, larger storage pool.

I'm finally going to do away with having my boot drive be on an internal USB2.0 port though, and snake in a eSATA to SATA cable from the back port to boot off of a spare SSD I have. Hopefully it will boot a bit quicker now.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

taqueso posted:

They used to be somewhat cheaper, but its gone up as their "reliable cheap stuff" rep has grown.

Could be a bad crimp job, especially if it was the connector that melted. Resistance goes up if the wire is thin or if there is a spot with broken strands, or anywhere there is a not so great connection; the high resistance bits get hot.
I swear, I write my sentence with resistance, but the forums seem to think otherwise. :shrug:

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer
The molded ones are typically not made well and lead to shorts->melting/fires:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TataDaUNEFc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAyy_WOSdVc
If you get crimped ones, you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

So what are the odds of getting a full manufacturer's warranty on a hard drive when ordering from one of the no-name outlets that sells through Newegg or Amazon? I know the HGST drives sold by Server Part Deals, for example, only come with a two year warranty from the seller, not the five year warranty from HGST/WD.

I was looking at buying a Toshiba 12TB drive since they're the same price as the HGST 8-10TB drives but I also don't want to get screwed on the warranty just to save fifty bucks. I'll probably wait until Monday either way to see if any new deals crop up.