Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Hang on I watched this one...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI5GCKl1F3o

Oh no its different... oh Youtube videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I watch the ScreenCrush ones mostly because I was already subbed to them, but lol two channels using the same thumbnails.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
The show is fantastic and was good enough to make me grab the comic for the background and holy poo poo that Rosarch backstory.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Sab0921 posted:

The show is fantastic and was good enough to make me grab the comic for the background and holy poo poo that Rorschach backstory.

The Nostalgia™ must be kicking in, I'm seeing flashes of 1987.

Tenzarin posted:

Hang on I watched this one...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI5GCKl1F3o

Oh no its different... oh Youtube videos.
That was great.
Thanks, I've now watched/listened to at least 6 episode recaps to help unpack all the levels this episode works on.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Binary Logic posted:

The Nostalgia™ must be kicking in, I'm seeing flashes of 1987.

That was great.
Thanks, I've now watched/listened to at least 6 episode recaps to help unpack all the levels this episode works on.

the watchmen derivatives market is a bubble with no bust in sight right now

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They blend together for me too.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U0hFvDH8Ek

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Looking forward to Captain Metropolis making an appearance due to his suspiciously missing head from his car crash being grafted onto a younger body or something.

legendaryRev
May 1, 2008

Soiled Meat
I am absolutely loving this show, and episode 6 is a real treat for Regina King’s acting. She is incredible. I am a little confused about something from early in the season, though. What was the deal with the drowned carnival strongman in the 2nd or 3rd episode? It seems like such a throwaway now, but everything in the series has been so deliberate that it has to tie into something, right? Also, with only 3 episodes left, the remainder of the season could be a helluva ride. Can’t wait.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Rookoo posted:

Looking forward to Captain Metropolis making an appearance due to his suspiciously missing head from his car crash being grafted onto a younger body or something.

If it’s not a reanimated head in a jar as on futurama I will be infinitely disappointed.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

legendaryRev posted:

I am absolutely loving this show, and episode 6 is a real treat for Regina King’s acting. She is incredible. I am a little confused about something from early in the season, though. What was the deal with the drowned carnival strongman in the 2nd or 3rd episode? It seems like such a throwaway now, but everything in the series has been so deliberate that it has to tie into something, right? Also, with only 3 episodes left, the remainder of the season could be a helluva ride. Can’t wait.

In the comic there was a theory that Hooded Justice was a circus strongman, probably a callback to that.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
anyone catch this?

https://twitter.com/FilmFatale_NYC/status/1199510190284066816

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Just watched the episode.

I am hoping my neighbors didn't catch me loudly yelling "beat their Klan asses".

That said, are we supposed to see Will using the Klan mind control at the end to lynch a guy as falling into the abyss and becoming more like his enemy?

That said, this was definitely some of the best television I've seen all year.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

That said, are we supposed to see Will using the Klan mind control at the end to lynch a guy as falling into the abyss and becoming more like his enemy?

I really don't think so. I guess your take is that maybe the police chief guy wasn't all that bad and it really was just his 'legacy' ? But I think the implication is that Judd was involved in Cyclops himself, right?

The way I saw it, he was just getting some very long deserved revenge.

If Judd was involved in cyclops, using the mind control on him to make him lynch himself isn't becoming more like the enemy, its forcing your enemy to finally get what has been coming to them.

It does seem like HJ being consumed by anger and rage was part of his story, but I don't think that was a criticism of HJ. More just showing the effects that living under systemic racism further cost him and tore his life apart. At worst though that just makes him like Batman, he's still definitely the hero of the story here.

Herostratus
May 1, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't think that was a criticism of HJ. More just showing the effects that living under systemic racism further cost him and tore his life apart. At worst though that just makes him like Batman, he's still definitely the hero of the story here.

Batman doesn't kill, though.

HJ's more like the Punisher.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Re, Nelson Gardiner’s will:

Some of the “intellectual property rights” include ‘characters’ like Captain Axis and the Screaming Skull.

How do the Minutemen own rights over the bad guys? Unless Captain Metropolis creates them in the first place.

False flags all the way down.
theoretically, paying criminals for the rights to their name and likeness would be an easy proposition. considering how business savvy metropolis was with the minuteman sponsorship deals, it wouldn’t be outside the realm of possibility. moloch, et al would be hard up for a way to support their families after getting busted

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

If it wasn't for the exposition 2 episodes ago about "being sent down here to take care of the 7K" I actually would've bought the story that Judd kept his Grandpappy's cloak as a reminder of what he's fighting against and the mistakes his family made that he has to make up for.

Except he was probably the one holding a gun to Angela's face while participating in the White Night soooo he had it coming.

Taber
Nov 17, 2007

Malkin's worst nightmare

Bushido Brown posted:

It wasn't (just) a squid eye. Same symbol has been popping up repeatedly, including in the letter between Keene's dad and the sheriff.

Seems to predate the squid. That said, Veidt could have put the symbol in the squid.

I’m just catching up with the thread after watching this episode, and that’s some good foreshadowing.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Nail Rat posted:

He also swears that he met John Constantine in a bar and he disappeared around the corner where it should have been impossible, I just remembered that.

Being crazy must make every day a god drat adventure.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
My godfather’s name was John Constantine. He was Romanian Orthodox Catholic and was in his 50’s at the time.

I have yet to be attacked by demons in all my years.

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006

TenementFunster posted:

as someone who only saw the last 2 minutes of this episode, i can’t think of anything in Will’s entire origin story and character development that would cause him to be brutal to chief of police in tulsa, oklahoma upon learning he is sympathetic to the ku klux klan.

perhaps the first 58 minutes of this episode (that i obviously haven’t seen) might explain Will’s deeply personal motivations for killing Judd in exacting detail, but i doubt it.

:lol: I'm happy to see you're still posting but quite frankly surprised you're still allowed to.

So can we talk about how both of the Comedian's daughters turned out superhuman and how? Classic nature/nuture. Are his genes responsible or is it because both of them were raised by single-minded single mothers whose sole intent was to raise extraordinary children? Maybe a mixture a both? I find it quite a coincidence that both of them were raised so similarly. Also, Trieu obviously knows about Laurie and I look forward to the eventual reveal to Laurie. Most importantly, are there more out there?

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I think if we were to come to the conclusion that Will is in the abyss it would be when he started murdering klansmen. This is in direct opposition to his hero Bass Reeves' philosophy. You can easily argue that he's justified given his trauma, his unsuccessful attempts to administer law and order or find justice within the system and ultimately "forced" to take matters into his own hands. But the darkness still remains. I also assume that Will handpicked the memories that Angela saw and it seems to me he most likely omitted his darker times, especially involving June. It felt like her leaving was a culmination of his darkness getting the better of him over the years. Darkness we just weren't shown. I suspect domestic abuse, neglect, emotional distance, etc.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I thought we confirmed Trieu wasn't Comedian's daughter? In Peteypedia I thought it said she was a kid when Comedian and his commandos torched her village?

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006
No that was her mom. When asked about the rumors

Peteypedia posted:

The Trieu spokeswoman was mum on the question (“Lady Trieu has no father”) but she did volunteer this: “Bian My did have one unforgettable encounter with Mr. Blake"

e: poo poo does petey count as spoilers?

King Of Coons fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Nov 27, 2019

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

KoRMaK posted:

the watchmen derivatives market is a bubble with no bust in sight right now

Only 3 episodes left, and an anticipated world-changing event still to occur!
One can only hope EBITDA justifies continued expansion for this franchise into the next fiscal session.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'm curious as to how Will's Nostalgia pills can contain him getting Judd to lynch himself when he had them before he did it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
False memory implants!!

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Jedit posted:

I'm curious as to how Will's Nostalgia pills can contain him getting Judd to lynch himself when he had them before he did it.

I'm thinking he's been making them with Lady Trieu.

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006

TontoCorazon posted:

I'm thinking he's been making them with Lady Trieu.

this. also he took the pills with him when he was rescued and could have added it.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Re: Hooded Justice/Captain Metropolis

There is actually a pretty interesting tidbit in the material about Sally Jupiter in the comic book (chapter 9), quoting from her manager/future husband's 1948 letter to her. I haven't seen it mentioned here.

quote:

Nelly called last night, upset over yet another tiff with H.J. Those two are getting worse. The more they row and act like an old married couple in public, the harder they are to cover for. I know that you've provided a pretty steady alibi for H.J. up to now, and that the publicity we got from that hasn't exactly hurt you either, but it can't last much longer. Nelly says he's always out when Nelly calls, out with the boys, and apparently there's a lot of rough stuff going on. One of these punks only has to go to the cops with a convincing story and some convincing bruises to back it up and it would be the Silhouette fiasco all over again.
I honestly wonder how long it can last [...] with Nelly and H.J. acting up it's a pretty sorry spectacle at the meetings these days.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

I really don't think so. I guess your take is that maybe the police chief guy wasn't all that bad and it really was just his 'legacy' ? But I think the implication is that Judd was involved in Cyclops himself, right?

The way I saw it, he was just getting some very long deserved revenge.

If Judd was involved in cyclops, using the mind control on him to make him lynch himself isn't becoming more like the enemy, its forcing your enemy to finally get what has been coming to them.

It does seem like HJ being consumed by anger and rage was part of his story, but I don't think that was a criticism of HJ. More just showing the effects that living under systemic racism further cost him and tore his life apart. At worst though that just makes him like Batman, he's still definitely the hero of the story here.

My take is that he was totally justified in murdering the Klansmen but I can't really justify him taking and using their mind control device. The only other time we saw that thing used it killed an entire theater of innocent people and it really seems like one of those things where no one should have that power and HJ should have destroyed the equipment and research rather than taking that poo poo.

As far as I can tell Judd as the leader of a racist terrorist organization had it coming.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

I, for one, am perfectly fine with using the KKK's own tools to kill them because gently caress the KKK

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

I love when Will shot Fred, he shot him right through the forehead, exactly where they do their cyclops hand signal.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I think Lady Trieu is going to betray Will and he's gonna wish he had just destroyed the mind control tech.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
What fell from space onto the farm formerly owned by the Clarks?

Polar bear?

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Polar bear?

Imo its Veidt after Lady Triue saw his message with a satellite and rescued him and brought him back to earth. All that was a flashback, so Veidt has been behind everything, and on earth, all along.

Also Manhattan imprisoned him, and Veidt found a bootleg way to clone himself and speed up the process of maturity to help him escape.

graham cracker fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 27, 2019

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I really hope the series continues to take a dump on Veidt. It'll be such a thematic misstep if he makes it back to earth and accomplishes / reveals that he accomplished something great

"the Elon Musks of the world will save us" has no place on television in 2019

Have him arrive on earth in his doofy costume and give a long winded speech about how he's the smartest man in the world, and then a black child will look up from his comic book and hit em with the OK Boomer

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

I still think Veidt will end up being KKK/7K involved.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Polar bear?

Kal-El, the last son of Krypton.

“Adrian Veidt will escape and save the day” sure is a hot take.

This is WATCHMEN, not Marvel’s Avengers movies. Veidt is a villain. He is a sociopath. He kills those fully sentient clones to make LETTERS. Laurie had the right idea shooting his rear end.

No one should be reassured by the appearance of Adrian “I did it!” Veidt, history’s greatest monster.

No happy ending, get the gently caress outta here.

What do you all think guys, is Adrian gonna show up in Episode 9, and punch racism in the face?

We might get Manhattan ex Machina, but Jon only answers to Jon. His response to the deaths of millions in a grand evil conspiracy is “what the gently caress does this have to do with me?”

Could have turned people to glass, bullets to steam, yada yada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Bushido Brown posted:

I still think Veidt will end up being KKK/7K involved.

Veidt strikes me as the type to think he's Too Smart For Racism and that he doesn't associate with such groups in any direct capacity.