Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ZooZoo implements universal health care so parents can be alive for their kids... and that's pretty much all the plot threads wrapped up isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lyndon needs to gently caress up one more time

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
Thorsby has no qualms ending things in a few strips after the climax. Space Spy ended like 2 strips after averting nuclear war and convincing Dunkirk that it'd be too much of a pain in the rear end to bring them back to the ship.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
I doubt Barbara and her crew are just going to give up on being in power and wait until the next election.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Audrey can take care of that.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Barbara gets grassed up and is arrested too.
Zoozo appoints Trixie as his new Vice president.
Lyndon and Audrey go off to do some charity work to make up for their earlier shittiness.

But is Thorsby really going to finish without a proper explanation of how Diabolica got to its current state (they clearly all used to be Baddies) and the origins of the conflict with Skyggmeria?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
The origins were already explained: the war was started with Diabolica to avoid having to deal with their own instability.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

(they clearly all used to be Baddies)

Why do you think that? Their names? Probably just ironic names to frighten off demons like the Twoleseys had.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

i much prefer diabolica having super evil names for no explained reason and the issue never being addressed

also idk if you guys have been reading thorsby but he doesn't really "do" happy endings. hitmen for destiny kind of had one? about the best we get is ambivalence, where characters are somewhat happy but don't really have what they want. so audrey and lyndon living together and klara and trixie living together in a decently well-run diabolica is about the best we are likely to get. although they do still have the scepter and lyndon now knows how it works...

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
RIP Audrey's nice hair, you never existed.

Roleplaying Larry
Dec 5, 2008
I wouldn’t mind if this was the end, just give us a couple more strips showing where everyone ends up.

Overall this is my second favorite Thorsby, with Hitmen for Destiny obviously being the first.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
There was an extra layer of bizarreness to Hitmen which I don't think he's ever really repeated. I think part of it is because the art feels more standardized now.

I agree with you about this being the second best Thorsby comic. The characters seem a lot weaker in his other comics.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

although they do still have the scepter and lyndon now knows how it works...

First time he uses it, gets a little useful info. Every subsequent time is Audrey yelling "NO MORE SIMULATIONS!" before cutting his head off.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Ague Proof posted:

There was an extra layer of bizarreness to Hitmen which I don't think he's ever really repeated. I think part of it is because the art feels more standardized now.

I agree with you about this being the second best Thorsby comic. The characters seem a lot weaker in his other comics.

Just imagine there's a forty page arc about someone pretending to be one person to one group of people and pretending to be another person for a different group of people and that the joke gets old after the 4th page.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pretty sure this is the only Thorsby thread so gently caress it y'all get to read my thoughts here. I just finished Accidental Space Spy and it was good up until that last alien planet where it just really fumbled the landing.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Mr. Dick posted:

Just imagine there's a forty page arc about someone pretending to be one person to one group of people and pretending to be another person for a different group of people

Sounds good to me

Mr. Dick posted:

and that the joke gets old after the 4th page.

what the gently caress

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Heliotrope posted:

what the gently caress

yeah I already didn't trust that guy to gauge when a joke is getting old, this seals it

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The elegance and simplicity of "Mormons are named after their founder, Joseph Morm" sticks with me in my head sometimes.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Len posted:

Pretty sure this is the only Thorsby thread so gently caress it y'all get to read my thoughts here. I just finished Accidental Space Spy and it was good up until that last alien planet where it just really fumbled the landing.

Yeah agreed, Space Spy's final arc isn't as interesting or funny as what comes before. It's still great taken as a whole, though. The Castration Planet alone is worth the price of entry.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Mr. Dick posted:

Just imagine there's a forty page arc about someone pretending to be one person to one group of people and pretending to be another person for a different group of people

The Comedy of Errors is like 425 years old.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress

Android Blues posted:

Yeah agreed, Space Spy's final arc isn't as interesting or funny as what comes before. It's still great taken as a whole, though. The Castration Planet alone is worth the price of entry.

Oyvind Thorsby: the castration planet alone is worth the price of admission

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

i much prefer diabolica having super evil names for no explained reason and the issue never being addressed

also idk if you guys have been reading thorsby but he doesn't really "do" happy endings. hitmen for destiny kind of had one? about the best we get is ambivalence, where characters are somewhat happy but don't really have what they want. so audrey and lyndon living together and klara and trixie living together in a decently well-run diabolica is about the best we are likely to get. although they do still have the scepter and lyndon now knows how it works...

Brain chip absolutely has a happy ending. The main character is off in space creating crazy animals, and the other main character is a benevolent god who created a utopia

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Terror Sweat posted:

Brain chip absolutely has a happy ending. The main character is off in space creating crazy animals, and the other main character is a benevolent god who created a utopia

it’s extremely weird to me that you can see the insane panopticon police state Aisha created, as well as the complete annihilation of her humanity, as a happy ending. the one genuinely human connection she had forged is gone forever, she is a deathless god-empress completely immune to empathy for any individual’s suffering. It’s a nightmare world.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Plus there's an inter-reality religious war between militant supergenius Buddhists and Catholics.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

it’s extremely weird to me that you can see the insane panopticon police state Aisha created, as well as the complete annihilation of her humanity, as a happy ending. the one genuinely human connection she had forged is gone forever, she is a deathless god-empress completely immune to empathy for any individual’s suffering. It’s a nightmare world.

it's a happy ending inasmuch as the entire comic is a thorough argument against the possibility of any happier ending!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its less bad than being murdered by a robo buddha or a robo angel.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Brain Chip is a perfect thesis statement on Thorsby's mastery of absurd escalation of stakes from a simple, transformative premise. You start out with "a man is capable of sharing information with minutely different versions of himself in parallel universes" and end up with an authoritarian utopia established after a hard-fought struggle to prevent toxic religious memes propagated by a handful of instances from establishing a theocratic technological dystopia as the sole political entity in all known realities.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

my rating on thorsby comic ending satisfaction would go:
1) Hitmen for Destiny-- the protagonist finds love, the universe is saved, the horrible shadow cabal that keeps loving with people's lives is falling apart, the antiheroes are off on their own adventures. Sure, lots of people died along the way, and the main character's best friendship ends, but broadly it's happy.
2) Accidental Space Spy-- all the main characters survive. Probably lots of wars in the universe get stopped. The protagonist makes it home safe, but he has to say goodbye forever to someone he loves, and he has this knowledge about the universe he can never share with anyone.
3) Transdimensional Brain Chip: nightmare pantopticon dystopia, one main character is alienated and unhappy, the other has completely lost her humanity and empathy.
Based on that progression we'll be lucky if this story ends with Trixia alive at all.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Android Blues posted:

Brain Chip is a perfect thesis statement on Thorsby's mastery of absurd escalation of stakes from a simple, transformative premise. You start out with "a man is capable of sharing information with minutely different versions of himself in parallel universes" and end up with an authoritarian utopia established after a hard-fought struggle to prevent toxic religious memes propagated by a handful of instances from establishing a theocratic technological dystopia as the sole political entity in all known realities.

well, the billionth of a percent of possible realities that didn't end in nuclear war over something inconsequential

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
I don't really get how people think Brain Chip isn't a happy ending. The creation of a god who exists solely to make humanity more successful and happy at the expense of... what exactly? The humanity of a single person, the personal fulfillment of another, and our ability to elect people to start wars, commit genocide and destroy the planet for us?

Not exactly a tragedy in my books.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cant argue against .0001% yearly average happiness increases.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I've been reading through Thorsbys backlog for months now and I'm finally out and I genuinely don't know what to do before bed now.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Watch Chrontendo

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

I don't really get how people think Brain Chip isn't a happy ending. The creation of a god who exists solely to make humanity more successful and happy at the expense of... what exactly? The humanity of a single person, the personal fulfillment of another, and our ability to elect people to start wars, commit genocide and destroy the planet for us?

Not exactly a tragedy in my books.

The reason a lot of people see it as an unhappy ending is that in the real world, any arrangement like that is entirely dependent on the person at the top not failing. The moment they demonstrate any sort of human failing, it rapidly slides into fascist authoritarian dystopia.

TDBC goes to great lengths to emphasise that Aisha is immune to any human failings, but the real-world need to take such claims with a pinch of salt is so important that it's kind of understandable the reader would be dubious of them even coming from an omnipotent narrator.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Once Thorsby finishes a story, how long before he starts a new one? It's an important part of my Mondays and Fridays.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pistol_Pete posted:

Once Thorsby finishes a story, how long before he starts a new one? It's an important part of my Mondays and Fridays.

I took it into my own hands to investigate this question, and it seems the time between the last panel of brainchip and the first update of trixie was half a year.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

There is no more war, death, everyone’s needs are taken care of, the benevolent god has a material reason to make everyone happy, and all she does is try to reduce every individual’s suffering.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah man, I'd absolutely choose to live in Aisha's benevolent dictatorship. It's not perfect, but it's a lot closer than we are ever likely to achieve on actual Earth.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Although, point of order: there is death. Aisha has the technology to make everyone immortal, but she refuses to share it widely among the population unless birth rates fall significantly, because she's worried about long term overpopulation.

There's no more death from war or famine though, and almost none from violence. People essentially just die of old age and that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Android Blues posted:

Although, point of order: there is death. Aisha has the technology to make everyone immortal, but she refuses to share it widely among the population unless birth rates fall significantly, because she's worried about long term overpopulation.

There's no more death from war or famine though, and almost none from violence. People essentially just die of old age and that's it.

This is a rare miss from thorsby's thought experiments I think, why is overpopulation a problem when humanity is already going to other planets and easily terraforming them