Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Elysium posted:

I applied for a Chase Ink Business and did not get instant approval (or denial). How long does it usually take to follow up? This was last Thursday.

I applied for the Chase SW Business and didn't get instant approval and never heard anything else until the card showed up in the mail a week or so later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

No longer relevant.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 12, 2019

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Question for those of you who have used cell phone insurance as a CC benefit-

I have the Barclays Uber card and I pay my cell phone bill with it. However, I have multiple services from the same utility (wireless, home internet, landline because it's required to get the broadband 🙄) on this bill. I suppose that would be fine as-is, but also my wife works from home and her employer pays $50 directly to my account every month. The $50 doesn't even cover the internet portion of the bill completely for whatever that's worth. I pay the remainder with the Barclays card.

What's the chances of them actually approving a loss claim in the event I try to use it? I know the benefit description says you must pay your call phone bill in full with the card.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

angryrobots posted:

I have the Barclays Uber card and I pay my cell phone bill with it. However, I have multiple services from the same utility (wireless, home internet, landline because it's required to get the broadband 🙄) on this bill. I suppose that would be fine as-is, but also my wife works from home and her employer pays $50 directly to my account every month. The $50 doesn't even cover the internet portion of the bill completely for whatever that's worth. I pay the remainder with the Barclays card.

What's the chances of them actually approving a loss claim in the event I try to use it? I know the benefit description says you must pay your call phone bill in full with the card.
I used my Uber benefit once for a screen replacement. I believe you include your most recent CC bill showing the wireless payment plus the bill from your wireless carrier, plus the repair estimate from Apple. You could include a note saying the $50 payment is from your employer for the internet, not wireless, portion. I don’t know if it’ll work but it should? You’re dealing with a 3rd party insurance company though.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Not pulling the trigger on this myself because it's supposedly 2 hard pulls (1 for CU account, another for the card) and because most of the categories in the past year don't interest me, but there's another 5% category card.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/langley-federal-credit-union-5-signature-cashback-visa-card-100-limit-changes-monthly/

Figured some people who don't necessarily churn and aren't trying to keep their number of pulls down might be interested in this card even if it spends most of its time in a drawer. I may grab it if it's still around in a few years and have gotten all the other cards I'm interested in.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

angryrobots posted:

I had one declined through Wells Fargo after several phone calls and emails going round and around. Been a few years but if I remember right, my mistake was transferring the line to another phone before making the claim (because I needed to use it as I was traveling for work when it broke). Because then I didn't have any documentation that WF would accept to prove that the phone was assigned to the line prior to the claim.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Alaska Airlines is currently having a 40% off sale on buying miles from them; is it ever worth it to buy miles?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Thanatosian posted:

Alaska Airlines is currently having a 40% off sale on buying miles from them; is it ever worth it to buy miles?

I bought Hilton points when I needed to make a minimum spend on a card, and they were matching 100%. It wasn't the best purchase in my life, but it was an easy way to drop a chunk of change on something I knew I would be using in the future. It's generally advised only to buy miles if you have a specific goal in mind, like you are 15k away from a great miles redemption.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
According to the automated line I did get approved for a Chase Ink Business, and it should be here in about a week or two. Took about 2 weeks to get approval.

I put down a sole proprietorship as an artist/designer (not entirely untrue...) with $0 income. They only extended me 5k credit, to go with my 30k on my Freedom/Unlimited/Reserve.

I was hoping to put a large contractor bill on it to make the spend which I have already paid, so it's gonna be tough but I'm sure I'll be fine hitting it with Christmas and all.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

I'm seeing 40% additional miles on Alaska if you buy more than 30k miles: buying 36,000 miles (+14,400 = 50,400 miles) for $1,065 after tax gets us two round-trip minimum price tripes on Alaska. Any flight you take is 12,500 miles at best, but booking with miles means you don't earn more miles on that flight. For a random long/expensive round trip (SEA/PHL) I'm seeing $418, or 25,000 and $25 with adding a stop (or 32,500 and $12 for the same flight), but you'd earn about 5k miles if you pay cash. Alaska does tend to sell flights on very short notice for low point values but high $ prices, so it's possible there are better miles:$ ratios at times. For this case though: with miles you're paying $550 for a $420 flight and losing the 4700 miles you'd have earned otherwise, plus you paid in advance and are locked into spending all those points.

I assume there are occasionally better deals and overpaying for a couple thousand points to top off for a big international itinerary could be a good move, but generally I haven't seen a point where buying miles from airlines is a good idea.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
I've got a wedding coming up next year, and looked into the Southwest companion pass. Originally planned to get a Southwest business and personal card, getting me to 100k of the 125k points I need. Rest would be easy to hit since the venue is fine with me paying with a CC.

My fiance works for Chase, and is concerned about my non-existent business, so that kind of kills the companion pass for me I think.

40k points from personal card
40k points roughly from wedding
2 flights would be around 7500 total
Average around 1-1.5k cc spending gets me up to 3k pts a month
Needing 35k points roughly seems tough to hit by Q1, even with putting rent + fees on the card. I've got ~100000 chase points to use as well.

Ditch the idea of companion pass and just get cash back with other cards? Was looking to see what my options were with roughly $30k planned spending coming up. I signed up for CSR in 4/18, and a recent company amex card, so I've got 3/4 slots of the 5/24 available to min max.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

The business for a SW Business card through Chase can just be a side job monetizing a hobby or something, they're perfectly comfortable issuing business cards against your personal credit. If flying Southwest is convenient for you, get the Companion Pass as early in a year as possible: it's good for the rest of the year you earn it in plus the entire next year, so covering the entire thing in January means you get 23 months of 2 for 1 flights.

If your fiance is in business credit card underwriting, maybe don't make up a very reasonable side business that you're looking to advertise via word of mouth / Facebook / etc that never actually makes any money because something else came up. Otherwise, it's Chase/Southwest's program and if it was a bad idea for them they'd stop doing it.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I am looking for a card that has a good sign up bonus plus a 2yr extended warranty. My usual go to is cash back cards, or something that has a good transfer value to cash.

Per this post, I am thinking ThankYou Premier, Arrival Plus, or some AmEx will be the best bet.

What say BFC?!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

GTJustin posted:

I've got a wedding coming up next year, and looked into the Southwest companion pass. Originally planned to get a Southwest business and personal card, getting me to 100k of the 125k points I need. Rest would be easy to hit since the venue is fine with me paying with a CC.

My fiance works for Chase, and is concerned about my non-existent business, so that kind of kills the companion pass for me I think.

40k points from personal card
40k points roughly from wedding
2 flights would be around 7500 total
Average around 1-1.5k cc spending gets me up to 3k pts a month
Needing 35k points roughly seems tough to hit by Q1, even with putting rent + fees on the card. I've got ~100000 chase points to use as well.

Ditch the idea of companion pass and just get cash back with other cards? Was looking to see what my options were with roughly $30k planned spending coming up. I signed up for CSR in 4/18, and a recent company amex card, so I've got 3/4 slots of the 5/24 available to min max.

Register a sole prop with your state if your fiance is that concerned. It's really not a big deal.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Has spending food/beverage charges on top of a Hyatt point stay always made it a qualifying night?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Insane Totoro posted:

Has spending food/beverage charges on top of a Hyatt point stay always made it a qualifying night?

I’m unsure about Hyatt, but SPG and now Marriott point stays have always (at least for the past 4 years) been qualifying nights

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Hmm it explicitly said somewhere that points only stays didn't count. Unless I was mistaken.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Insane Totoro posted:

Hmm it explicitly said somewhere that points only stays didn't count. Unless I was mistaken.

Obviously take my word with a huge grain of salt, but my point and award night stays have counted toward the brand collector perk for Hyatt.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Insane Totoro posted:

This was changed Jan 1, 2018:
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/12/hyatt-award-nights-elite-status/

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Well, Unbound and Park Hyatt achievements unlocked!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
The $250 annual fee for my Amex Gold card just hit. When they increased the fee/eliminated the ability to buy airline gift certificates I kept it around to see if I'd end up using it, but I honestly just end up using my CSR more because the travel benefits are easier to use (end up transferring to Hyatt a bunch) and we live in an American hub. Years ago I had an Ameriprise Amex Plat, but I've never had the personal Amex Plat or the Schwab Amex Plat. My MR account only has about 80k points. My wife has an Amex Plat and uses it as her regular card.

I figure I should probably close down/downgrade my Amex Gold care to get the $250 fee refunded unless I can get a 100k signup bonus for one of the Platinum cards, right?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
What's the current recommended card to get to put my cell phone bill on to get device protection? Would it cover all the devices on the plan?

I currently have CSR and the Costco Visa, so my options are pretty open.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

The $250 annual fee for my Amex Gold card just hit. When they increased the fee/eliminated the ability to buy airline gift certificates I kept it around to see if I'd end up using it, but I honestly just end up using my CSR more because the travel benefits are easier to use (end up transferring to Hyatt a bunch) and we live in an American hub. Years ago I had an Ameriprise Amex Plat, but I've never had the personal Amex Plat or the Schwab Amex Plat. My MR account only has about 80k points. My wife has an Amex Plat and uses it as her regular card.

I figure I should probably close down/downgrade my Amex Gold care to get the $250 fee refunded unless I can get a 100k signup bonus for one of the Platinum cards, right?

Make sure you have at least one other MR point earning card before closing down the Gold.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

TraderStav posted:

What's the current recommended card to get to put my cell phone bill on to get device protection? Would it cover all the devices on the plan?

I currently have CSR and the Costco Visa, so my options are pretty open.

Is it owned outright or leased? This can affect your options.

DoC has a decent writeup: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/credit-card-cell-phone-insurance-compared-get-600-coverage-free/

People generally tend to go with the ones with a cheaper deductible like Wells and Barclaycard, though with the changes to the Uber card that makes Barclaycard a less attractive option.

Personally I've been going with the built-in Mastercard cell phone protection benefit from a local credit union's 1.5% card since it covers leased phones. It has a higher deductible of $50, though.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

astral posted:

Is it owned outright or leased? This can affect your options.

DoC has a decent writeup: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/credit-card-cell-phone-insurance-compared-get-600-coverage-free/

People generally tend to go with the ones with a cheaper deductible like Wells and Barclaycard, though with the changes to the Uber card that makes Barclaycard a less attractive option.

Personally I've been going with the built-in Mastercard cell phone protection benefit from a local credit union's 1.5% card since it covers leased phones. It has a higher deductible of $50, though.

Currently my phones are all owned outright. I'm looking to get my wife an 11 Pro and would like to avoid a payment plan, not too many options for BOGO or other deals without adding a line on T-mobile. So I may resort to a lease of some kind but still in the air.

I'll check out that link, thanks!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So I got an AmEx charge card earlier this year and recently I noticed in the last month that they've added (auto-enrolled me?) in a "pay over time" feature to the card, to the tune of $15,000. As far as I can tell, this is a sort of side-loaded credit card feature that's tacked onto the side? Is this going to show up on my credit report as an extra $15,000 of unused credit, e.g. lowers my total credit utilization? This would drop my credit utilization by more than 10% which I'm only guessing would bump up my credit score further. I can only find one reference to the impact of pay-over-time on the internet but the guy confirming the outcome has a poor grasp of usage of apostrophes in plural vs possessive so I'm inclined not to trust him.

Sub Rosa posted:

In FICO scoring it will continue to age and will only negatively impact average account age once it falls off in ten years. In Vantage model, it will immediately stop impacting account age. This is one of the reasons that Vantage scoring is poo poo to know what your FICO score looks like.

https://thepointsguy.com/2016/04/how-closing-card-impacts-fico-score/

Of the three ways I have to pull credit, two use Vantage and score me ~710 and the other uses FICO and scores me ~750 seems like a huge discrepancy. This discrepancy has been going on for about three years now and has been pretty consistent. Do any banks actually use vantage scores? The group we're planning on doing our home mortgage through uses FICO so I guess the Vantage score doesn't really matter except as an extremely crude indicator of FICO score? Presumably any banks using Vantage will use one threshold for one scoring system and another scoring system for the other. 40 points is a pretty huge chasm to span with one set of rules. As near as I can tell, Vantage score counts our boat loan as a personal loan, whereas FICO counts it as something else(?).

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 24, 2019

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

astral posted:

Were there any changes to the cell phone protection on the Uber card? I would only use this new card for the cell protection. Looking at what I've researched so far the Uber is better than the Wells Fargo as it includes accidental parting (dropping off the side of a boat?) where the WF doesn't appear to. Both have $1200 max per year and the same deductible.

Is there something else that I'm missing about the Uber card for this specifically?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

So I got an AmEx charge card earlier this year and recently I noticed in the last month that they've added (auto-enrolled me?) in a "pay over time" feature to the card, to the tune of $15,000. As far as I can tell, this is a sort of side-loaded credit card feature that's tacked onto the side? Is this going to show up on my credit report as an extra $15,000 of unused credit, e.g. lowers my total credit utilization?

I've had an amex green card since my early 20s. At some point, long ago, this feature was tacked on. It shows up no different on my credit report......the only amex line is for a charge card.

Note, I've never USED pay over time, so perhaps a new trade line will show up if you do. But if my experience is normal and if you don't use it.......yeah, no difference.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Were there any changes to the cell phone protection on the Uber card? I would only use this new card for the cell protection. Looking at what I've researched so far the Uber is better than the Wells Fargo as it includes accidental parting (dropping off the side of a boat?) where the WF doesn't appear to. Both have $1200 max per year and the same deductible.

Is there something else that I'm missing about the Uber card for this specifically?

You're stuck redeeming the rewards for Uber. However, Uber had also sent out notice that their cell phone coverage was going to change but I don't have the specifics. Could be as simple as a different underwriter.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

astral posted:

You're stuck redeeming the rewards for Uber. However, Uber had also sent out notice that their cell phone coverage was going to change but I don't have the specifics. Could be as simple as a different underwriter.

Ah, which isn't a huge deal for my $100/month worth of spend that I'll throw on it but it may still be better to go with WF to get those points. I believe I can at least convert those to cash 1:1.

Thanks, think I'll go with the WF!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

astral posted:

Make sure you have at least one other MR point earning card before closing down the Gold.

Ok, opened up an Everyday card. I asked this to the Amex employee but wanted to confirm: I originally opened an Amex account when I was in college in 2007. If I open this new Amex account and close down my "old" card, will I still have an amex history going back to 2007? I think I remember something changing in the past few years.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Residency Evil posted:

Ok, opened up an Everyday card. I asked this to the Amex employee but wanted to confirm: I originally opened an Amex account when I was in college in 2007. If I open this new Amex account and close down my "old" card, will I still have an amex history going back to 2007? I think I remember something changing in the past few years.
New accounts used to be backdated to your "member since" date in credit reports, and that is no longer true.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Small White Dragon posted:

New accounts used to be backdated to your "member since" date in credit reports, and that is no longer true.

When did that change? I've only had my gold card for two years. So if I close down my amex gold, that'll end my 12 year old account?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

When did that change? I've only had my gold card for two years. So if I close down my amex gold, that'll end my 12 year old account?

It ended maybe 2-3 years ago I think?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
It'll still say "Member Since" on your card though.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
I'll be doing a bit more travel for my new job and I figured I might as well open a travel CC (American).
I'm not big into credit card management (for now) so I'd like to keep it as simple as possible.
My current cards are BofA cash rewards for most everything and the Chase Amazon card for Amazon purchases.

I see there's a couple from Citi and Barclays and besides Barclays requiring no spending for the miles, is there a noticeable difference?
Most of our spending is on everyday expenses and we don't go out to eat or shop all that often.
Probably just use it for the 2X categories and definitely interested in the free checked bag which should make up for the annual fee (first year waived).

I know the Chase Sapphire cards are really popular but I figure the AA card would suffice for my lazy rear end.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

hmmxkrazee posted:

I'll be doing a bit more travel for my new job and I figured I might as well open a travel CC (American).
I'm not big into credit card management (for now) so I'd like to keep it as simple as possible.
My current cards are BofA cash rewards for most everything and the Chase Amazon card for Amazon purchases.

I see there's a couple from Citi and Barclays and besides Barclays requiring no spending for the miles, is there a noticeable difference?
Most of our spending is on everyday expenses and we don't go out to eat or shop all that often.
Probably just use it for the 2X categories and definitely interested in the free checked bag which should make up for the annual fee (first year waived).

I know the Chase Sapphire cards are really popular but I figure the AA card would suffice for my lazy rear end.

Do what I did and get both citi and Barclays, then get the business versions of each and use those miles for vacation.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Leaning towards the CitiBusiness Platinum Select with the 70k bonus... are you saying get four cards total?
Also, my company buys my tickets so I won't be using the cards for AA purchases at all (unless for personal travel).

Edit: Nevermind on the business version of the card. Didn't realize I'd have to actually be upper management of a business lol. I guess I'd have to do the regular Platinum Select?
Aviator Red also looks good as well.

hmmxkrazee fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 27, 2019

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

People use the airline branded cards because they give you extra frequent flier points if you buy tickets on that airline with them, and for business travel where you get reimbursed the amount it is basically free points. If your company is buying the tickets and you don't get the big-ticket manufactured spending of plane tickets it may not be worth the hassle of getting frequent flier points with an airline card instead of cash from another card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Shear Modulus posted:

People use the airline branded cards because they give you extra frequent flier points if you buy tickets on that airline with them, and for business travel where you get reimbursed the amount it is basically free points. If your company is buying the tickets and you don't get the big-ticket manufactured spending of plane tickets it may not be worth the hassle of getting frequent flier points with an airline card instead of cash from another card.

How much are miles worth in terms of 'effective cash back percentages'? People get really into credit cards, and I'm sure people have calculated effective cash back percentage rates for miles cards. The airline/miles travel cards are competing with no annual fee cash back cards which can give as much as 3% for travel. The effective cash back rates had better be pretty high, since airline miles are less useful than cash.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Nov 27, 2019