Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The blog post itself insisted people go out and play those games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Snagged an LE First Wall!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.themix.net/2019/11/warh...nership-stolen/

Someone hacked the Astartes guy's YouTube channel and got YouTube's automated suspension bots to turbo gently caress the account.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.themix.net/2019/11/warh...nership-stolen/

Someone hacked the Astartes guy's YouTube channel and got YouTube's automated suspension bots to turbo gently caress the account.

ASTARTES 40K Needs YOUR Help - The State Of Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vah_fjn26RE

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Another Warhammer YouTuber was hacked, some MajorKill guy. I don't follow him because I think he pals around with Arch Warhammer and that guy is an rear end in a top hat. Still, one's an anomaly, two's a trend.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Another Warhammer YouTuber was hacked, some MajorKill guy. I don't follow him because I think he pals around with Arch Warhammer and that guy is an rear end in a top hat. Still, one's an anomaly, two's a trend.

Saw a comment that Arch Warhammer was spreading the word about the hacking? Dunno if he's just a fan or if the Astartes guy is another pal. Which would definitely make it suspicious.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
So Trooper Andrey "the life of" book when?

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Nuclear War posted:

So Trooper Andrey "the life of" book when?

GW will be testing the SitCom waters with Andy and Grim, fall 2020

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Apropos of nothing, but with Abnett probably getting the last book, having been responsible in large part for Guilliman's rep repair, and Horus forcing the confrontation with the Emperor because he was about to get hosed by an incoming loyalist fleet, I kind of hope we get to see a vox conversation between him and Guilliman just before the final confrontation. Just awesomely angry Guilliman yelling about what he's going to do to the traitors.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
requiem infernal is extremely dope and also easily the best written 40k book I've read so far

you can actually tell Peter Fehervari knows how to write. Evocative, interesting, very compelling characters and a pretty unique spin on this. I'm definitely engaged with the Dark Coil now!

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Pyrolocutus posted:

Apropos of nothing, but with Abnett probably getting the last book, having been responsible in large part for Guilliman's rep repair, and Horus forcing the confrontation with the Emperor because he was about to get hosed by an incoming loyalist fleet, I kind of hope we get to see a vox conversation between him and Guilliman just before the final confrontation. Just awesomely angry Guilliman yelling about what he's going to do to the traitors.

Nope. Abnett is writing the 4th book, and nobody is getting two. Besides, are we sure we want Abnett to write an ending? That's his weakest part.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

D-Pad posted:

Nope. Abnett is writing the 4th book, and nobody is getting two. Besides, are we sure we want Abnett to write an ending? That's his weakest part.

They've said the Siege series will be 8 novels, and there's only 6 authors who will be writing them. So at least two authors will get two books. Abnett is almost for sure getting the end (though ADB could get it).

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Abnett had the start, it'd be nice if he had the end.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

a lovely king posted:

They've said the Siege series will be 8 novels, and there's only 6 authors who will be writing them. So at least two authors will get two books. Abnett is almost for sure getting the end (though ADB could get it).

If you go to the website you will only see 6 author bios, but there are 8 author videos. Nick Kyme and Neil Roberts are missing from the bios for a total of 8. Besides, if we had to wait for Abnett to write two books this series wouldn't be done until 2025.

I am 99% positive BL straight up said one book per author recently after we had all originally thought 2 authors were getting 2 books. The original announcement did say 6 authors but then they added Kyme and Roberts to the video section.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 19, 2019

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Abnett writing the end is perfectly fine by me. His endings may be weak but that's ok in this case cause of the following 10k years.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

requiem infernal is extremely dope and also easily the best written 40k book I've read so far

you can actually tell Peter Fehervari knows how to write. Evocative, interesting, very compelling characters and a pretty unique spin on this. I'm definitely engaged with the Dark Coil now!

You’re not wrong, I’m about halfway through and it’s extremely good.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

D-Pad posted:

If you go to the website you will only see 6 author bios, but there are 8 author videos. Nick Kyme and Neil Roberts are missing from the bios for a total of 8. Besides, if we had to wait for Abnett to write two books this series wouldn't be done until 2025.

I am 99% positive BL straight up said one book per author recently after we had all originally thought 2 authors were getting 2 books. The original announcement did say 6 authors but then they added Kyme and Roberts to the video section.

I hadn't heard of Neil Roberts before so I looked him up and it looks like he's an artist, having illustrated a bunch of the Horus Heresy works ( https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Neil_Roberts ). The only book where he's listed as an author seems to be Macragge's Honor which is a graphic novel. There's also the fact that while they've said they only have 8 books in the "main" series, they will have auxillary works covering other parts of the Siege like Graham McNeil's Sons of the Selenar.

I mean maybe you're right and they went from six authors to more for the "main" series, but I'd have to ask where you found that. Besides, do you want Nick Kyme to write a Siege novel? :froggonk:

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

I'm sick atm and bedbound, and inspired by the thread title here I thought I might pull out Xenos again and have a quick read.

Seriously guys, if it's been a couple of years, give it a re-read. It's still one of the best, and it's easy to forget HOW good it is.

Also, the Colonel's Monograph is a fun little horror story that is well worth your time.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Pyrolocutus posted:

I mean maybe you're right and they went from six authors to more for the "main" series, but I'd have to ask where you found that. Besides, do you want Nick Kyme to write a Siege novel? :froggonk:

Can't wait for the series to end with Vulkan killing Horus

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhBznsuRd8A
Long have I waited... TO ROCK.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Sniffs finger.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Burps clot.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

a lovely king posted:

ADB sort of confirmed that Abnett is getting the last book.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
I just picked up a used copy of the Sabbat Worlds anthology and read Abnett's introduction to the first story, written in 2010 I think, where he described a planned sequel to Double Eagle. He had a title and plot ready all the way back in 2010 or earlier and it's still unwritten. That man must have a huge backlog. I want a sequel to Pariah very, very badly.

Thank you to whoever earlier in the thread clued me in to the existence of the Gaunt's Ghosts anthology books. I managed to find a cheap used copy of the first one, but might have to cave to ebooking the second one, copies are way too expensive.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They've reprinted the GG anthologies, so they really aren't hard to find anymore.
The new cover art is certainly good for BL's current standards (you can actually tell who the characters are) but they don't hold a candle to the cover art for the original printings.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, it's called Sabbat Crusade right? Amazon only has used copies for crazy prices. Just searching Google for the book brings up lots of crap results that aren't that book.

Sabbat Worlds is the one I already got for cheap. I'm just trying to read them, and reading on screens bothers me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sabbat Worlds is the first (well, technically third if you count First and Only and Ghostmaker as compilation books) anthology collection, while Sabbat Crusade is the second anthology that came out a couple of years ago.

The true prize of the Gaunt's Ghosts series is the Sabbat Worlds Campaign book which is extremely hard to come by. Thankfully Black Library is doing a reprint at long last. There was a special edition reprint that was bundled alongside a limited run of The Warmaster with brand new artwork, but a regular release for the Sabbat Worlds Crusade book has been a longtime coming.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Sabbat Worlds is the first (well, technically third if you count First and Only and Ghostmaker as compilation books) anthology collection, while Sabbat Crusade is the second anthology that came out a couple of years ago.

The true prize of the Gaunt's Ghosts series is the Sabbat Worlds Campaign book which is extremely hard to come by. Thankfully Black Library is doing a reprint at long last. There was a special edition reprint that was bundled alongside a limited run of The Warmaster with brand new artwork, but a regular release for the Sabbat Worlds Crusade book has been a longtime coming.

It's not just a reprint. Its majorly expanded with a lot of new stuff added. I shamelessy ebayed one signed by Abnett at the weekender.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I won one in a painting competition years ago and got it signed at Games Day about a decade later. It is genuinely a wonderful book.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Man, I'm listening to the audio of The Crimson King and somebody at Black Library has got to tell Jonathan Keeble to stop using that bad Chinese impression whenever he speaks as a character from the White Scars or in this case Yasu Nagasena.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

Man, I'm listening to the audio of The Crimson King and somebody at Black Library has got to tell Jonathan Keeble to stop using that bad Chinese impression whenever he speaks as a character from the White Scars or in this case Yasu Nagasena.

*laughs in atilla: total war*

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I reread Anarch recently and it's a small part of the book but I love when Annett depicts the Sons of Sek religion as a twisted parallel of imperial worship. It's still chaotic in nature but it does set them apart from the Blood Pact.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

In First Heretic was it ever explained why the newly possessed Word Bearer's didn't use their Sus-an Membrane to hibernate for the 7 month trip out of the Eye of Terror to reduce the need for food and water, or did the author just forget that they can do that?

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
It's been awhile, but don't most of the space marines live? It's only the mortal crew that bite it. Plus, I'm pretty sure even just hibernating in the warp is probably a bad idea....why you could wake up dead tomorrow!
Good night.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

My LE First Wall came in today. I'll try and get a spoilered lore post up this weekend if people are interested. That also reminds me I owe the thread the same for the Valdor book because I offered and there was interest, but I didn't follow through.

So far it's definitely getting across the massive scale, something the SoT series is doing a great job of.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Galvanik posted:

In First Heretic was it ever explained why the newly possessed Word Bearer's didn't use their Sus-an Membrane to hibernate for the 7 month trip out of the Eye of Terror to reduce the need for food and water, or did the author just forget that they can do that?

If you're talking about their 7 months that lasted like a couple of minutes in realspace for everyone else, they were constantly fighting, repelling boarders and going insane. Not really something you can just peace out on by going to sleep.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 28, 2019

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Galvanik posted:

My take was that the author just forgot it was possible, since all the hardship was basically described as being due to extreme starvation and dehydration, which of course Space Marines are immune to because of their magic space genetics. That whole story was deep into the realm of science fantasy/horror though, where all the normal humans died from "extreme fear" and somehow lost all of their blood, so the Space Marines had to drink motor oil or whatever to replace their bodily fluids. They get back and report "well that sucked" and their Primarch just decides to repeat their entire trip himself.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I mean, they all just got killed, infested with daemons, and then every non-astartes on the ship died so even beyond the possible physical changes, they weren't exactly operating at 100% in general. Plus they had to man every station on the ship.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I've been re-reading Angels of Darkness by Thorpe, and if that weird rumor going around that a fallen primarch was going to be redeemed and a loyal primarch was going to fall pans out, then they've had the foundation laid since 2003. Because in this book you can totally see that between the obsession with secrets and lies and the sadism they show in their interrogations, it'd be dead easy to see Lion El'Johnson (and possibly the Dark Angels, though maybe not all of them?) falling to Slaanesh to go along with Fulgrim getting redeemed away from Slaanesh with the soul-in-the-painting thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I still hope it’s Lorgar.