Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Arivia posted:

How dare 0451 not open the first lock I found in Prey!

There's also a thing I love from Prey. Some codes are fixes so you can remember or write them down but most of them are generated so online guides won't help you on most door/safe combinations. Of course 0451 will work somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Ignoring play guides, isn't there a lock (or two) that's impossible to figure out unless you've replayed the game?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Guillermus posted:

There's also a thing I love from Prey. Some codes are fixes so you can remember or write them down but most of them are generated so online guides won't help you on most door/safe combinations. Of course 0451 will work somewhere.

Yes, I smiled when it was of course the door to my office.

@ToxicFrog: Hell of a twist to start things off, that was.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

IronicDongz posted:

Wrath thoughts:

-green toad and flying mouth boys have too much fuckin HP
-the game probably ought to have a railgun equivalent considering these huge open spaces you often fight enemies in, spamming them down from 200 miles away with the nailgun/pistol feels not great
-the blade's right click should just be something bound to a button instead of a weapon you switch onto to use.

yeah that nailgun looked kind of weak. whats the secondary fire on that bio rifle gun?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Picked up Blood: Fresh Supply, and... huh! I did not expect this to be as hard as it is? It honestly feels more like a survival horror game in the first few sections, as all you get are a pitchfork, TNT, and a flare gun. I miss having a pistol that would quickly put things down.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Parachute posted:

yeah that nailgun looked kind of weak. whats the secondary fire on that bio rifle gun?

Triple shot. It’s pretty good but not quite 3x as good as the primary fire

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The cacodemon things don't bother me too much because the secondary on the nailgun stunlocks them to death. The frogs do have too much hp though. And probably the floating heads even if you can stunlock them.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Picked up Blood: Fresh Supply, and... huh! I did not expect this to be as hard as it is? It honestly feels more like a survival horror game in the first few sections, as all you get are a pitchfork, TNT, and a flare gun. I miss having a pistol that would quickly put things down.

Practice throwing TNT from a distance, it's absurdly powerful :supaburn::supaburn::supaburn:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Blood is a TNT throwing simulator. The double barrel shotgun and TNT are your main weapons and you'll understand why throwing sticks that go boom around corners is better than a pistol with all the hitscanners on that game.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

StrixNebulosa posted:

It actually gets a lot easier as it goes on. The first episode is very rough because of the weapons you have access to and the prevalence of cultists. It slowly eases up as you get further in the game. Also yes, get used to TNT being a primary weapon, lobbing it around corners at packs of cultists is important.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Guillermus posted:

Blood is a TNT throwing simulator. The double barrel shotgun and TNT are your main weapons and you'll understand why throwing sticks that go boom around corners is better than a pistol with all the hitscanners on that game.

this is absolutely the best advice you could give to someone playing blood. i swear most of my deaths in this game were getting gibbed by hitscanning enemies after rounding a corner too fast instead of testing the water and throwing tnt

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Also there's no shame in firing off flares and then running away until you hear "AAA AAAA IT BURNS IT BURNS"

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

...I really like the concept of a survival horror game ala Silent Hill but you have unlimited grenades.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
The second episode of Blood is so good. Probably one of my favorite stretches of game I've played in the past few years.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Arivia posted:

Yes, I smiled when it was of course the door to my office.

@ToxicFrog: Hell of a twist to start things off, that was.

Yeah, it caught me flat-footed. It was a lightbulb moment when (much later) I realized what they had actually been expecting me to do in those test chambers, too.

Fun thing (that I learned either here or in the dedicated Prey thread, I think): if you drop something on the roof before getting into the helicopter, it's still there when the helicopter "lands" at the Transtar building. They actually went to the trouble of making sure that the parts where the simulation leaks do so properly.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

haveblue posted:

So in a completely unexpected turn of events, in the middle of an otherwise unrelated post about Destiny 2 happenings, Bungie seems to have announced a new Marathon T-shirt.

Not sure where they're going with this but intrigued. Very, very intrigued.

I'm so in

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Going from hitscan-less Heretic to Doom 2 with its levels composed of wide open maps with chaingunners chilling above you out of sight solidified my hatred of hitscanners and why I'll probably never truly enjoy Blood. Even watching Civvie doing Pro Blood and getting tore up by dudes with tommy guns and perfect accuracy got my blood boiling.

Now I'm flashing back to the original Far Cry which had some great early levels but then devolved into everyone turning into an eagle eyed sniper that could spot you a mile away.

And gently caress the memories of the later half of Allied Assault are rushing in with its god awful sniper level that's literally a single road with 30 snipers and they'll instantly kill you if you don't hide in the predetermined spots.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

Yeah, it caught me flat-footed. It was a lightbulb moment when (much later) I realized what they had actually been expecting me to do in those test chambers, too.

Fun thing (that I learned either here or in the dedicated Prey thread, I think): if you drop something on the roof before getting into the helicopter, it's still there when the helicopter "lands" at the Transtar building. They actually went to the trouble of making sure that the parts where the simulation leaks do so properly.

Oh! I think I get it. January said she got blanks installed so I could remember the training, and the Doctor was obviously thrown off by my responses. I'm guessing that they were expecting me to use some powers or something instead of just pulling a chair over and trying to hide in the corner next to the viewing glass.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Arivia posted:

Oh! I think I get it. January said she got blanks installed so I could remember the training, and the Doctor was obviously thrown off by my responses. I'm guessing that they were expecting me to use some powers or something instead of just pulling a chair over and trying to hide in the corner next to the viewing glass.

Yep. The tests deliberately make no sense before you get any idea of what's really going on. Later in the game you can return to the test chamber with a full power set and do them properly, I think there's even a reward and trophy for that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

haveblue posted:

Yep. The tests deliberately make no sense before you get any idea of what's really going on. Later in the game you can return to the test chamber with a full power set and do them properly, I think there's even a reward and trophy for that.

I'm looking forward to finding out what the actual powers are like. So far I just have the skill tree stuff, and I'm about to head down to Deep Storage. How much longer until I unlock them/that scope thing? Also I want everything on the skill tree. One thing that sticks out in comparison to usual 0451 games is that having more moveable objects (due to technological advances) has made the leverage power much much more important than it was in Deus Ex or others where you could usually get by without it. I've seen a bunch of places I can't enter without lifting heavy objects, and then I need hacking and stealth and repair and and and and and (wrench good. must have wrench good in a 0451.)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Arivia posted:

I'm looking forward to finding out what the actual powers are like. So far I just have the skill tree stuff, and I'm about to head down to Deep Storage. How much longer until I unlock them/that scope thing? Also I want everything on the skill tree. One thing that sticks out in comparison to usual 0451 games is that having more moveable objects (due to technological advances) has made the leverage power much much more important than it was in Deus Ex or others where you could usually get by without it. I've seen a bunch of places I can't enter without lifting heavy objects, and then I need hacking and stealth and repair and and and and and (wrench good. must have wrench good in a 0451.)

Hmm, you should have gotten the psychoscope by now if you're in deep storage. Don't want to spoil too much more so I'll just leave it at that for you.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Hmm, you should have gotten the psychoscope by now if you're in deep storage. Don't want to spoil too much more so I'll just leave it at that for you.

I'm in my office after seeing the rest of the Looking Glass video and the next step is to head down to Deep Storage to get the first self-destruct key.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Arivia posted:

Prey does a good job of not locking you out of any content. Alien powers make it easier to access but I don't remember a single area that wasn't accessible through some combination of recycle grenades, gloo gun, nerf crossbow, or increasing strength.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Prey was a great game, I didn't even mind the last few hours as I just enjoyed the gameplay and setting so much. I should really do another playthrough as I refused to use any Typhon powers as I though it'd trigger a bad ending.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
IIRC the only consequence to using Typhon powers is turrets will aggro on you before you hack them, which I can imagine being a big pain in the rear end. It changes dialog in the ending but not the way the ending plays out.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Arivia posted:

I'm in my office after seeing the rest of the Looking Glass video and the next step is to head down to Deep Storage to get the first self-destruct key.

I honestly don't really remember if you should have it by now or not. Guess I should do another playthrough! I recently got it on PC too, so I'm looking forward to not having to sit through those longass PS4 loadtimes.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Play on custom difficulty mode and turn the hitscanner accuracy as low as it will go.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

^^^^^^^^^^Okay, I might be installing Blood now. I love so much about the game except the loving cultists.

Well I love hearing them go from their nonsense fake chants to IT BURNS IT BUUUUUUUUUUURNS

haveblue posted:

IIRC the only consequence to using Typhon powers is turrets will aggro on you before you hack them, which I can imagine being a big pain in the rear end. It changes dialog in the ending but not the way the ending plays out.

It's not like turrets are strong anyway which is one of the few complaints I have for a "human" run. Even with the ability to improve turrets they're still as weak as Portal turrets where knocking them over basically causes them to self destruct.

I wish you could get that Earth mercenary guy's army of infinite super drones. Even one of his drones puts up more of a fight than a turret.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I honestly don't really remember if you should have it by now or not. Guess I should do another playthrough! I recently got it on PC too, so I'm looking forward to not having to sit through those longass PS4 loadtimes.

I found one but I’m not sure if it’s where the game intended for me to get it. off a body in a maintenance corridor in Psychotronics with no fanfare

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Arivia posted:

You get the scope halfway through Psychotronics, which is the next area you'll visit on your way to Deep Storage. And while you'll have to scan a lot of Typhon after that to unlock all the individual powers, you'll be able to get a few basically as soon as you get the scope.

As far as places you can't enter without lifting heavy objects, you have a lot of alternative options:

- foam yourself a staircase over the obstacle
- recycle it with r-grenades
- use explosives to blast it out of the way
- use typhon powers to blast it out of the way, shrink, fly past it, levitate it, etc
- remotely unlock a door by shooting a nerf dart through a window or using telekinesis

I didn't take any points in Leverage on my first playthrough and I don't think there's anywhere that locked me out of, although a bunch of places I could have gotten into early with leverage required coming back much later with more equipment or different powers.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I'm currently halfway through a typhon-only run, so the first half of the game is fresh in my mind:

- sim chamber -> lobby -> hardware labs to repair LGS -> lobby again
- optional: backtrack to neuromod division to find December and remove the neuromod DRM
- elevator is broken so instead: psychotronics (get scope) -> GUTS -> arboretum
- optional: repair elevator to visit power systems and life support and do some quests there early
- crew quarters to collect voiceprints
- deep storage -> EVA to cargo pits

Arivia posted:

I found one but I’m not sure if it’s where the game intended for me to get it. off a body in a maintenance corridor in Psychotronics with no fanfare

Yeah, that's intended. If you'd kept going for another thirty seconds you would have found a "no access past this point without scope" door and been told to backtrack and look for one. That said, January should burble at you a bit when you pick it up, IIRC.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Arivia posted:

ToxicFrog posted:

You get the scope halfway through Psychotronics, which is the next area you'll visit on your way to Deep Storage. And while you'll have to scan a lot of Typhon after that to unlock all the individual powers, you'll be able to get a few basically as soon as you get the scope.

As far as places you can't enter without lifting heavy objects, you have a lot of alternative options:

- foam yourself a staircase over the obstacle
- recycle it with r-grenades
- use explosives to blast it out of the way
- use typhon powers to blast it out of the way, shrink, fly past it, levitate it, etc
- remotely unlock a door by shooting a nerf dart through a window or using telekinesis

I didn't take any points in Leverage on my first playthrough and I don't think there's anywhere that locked me out of, although a bunch of places I could have gotten into early with leverage required coming back much later with more equipment or different powers.

I'm currently halfway through a typhon-only run, so the first half of the game is fresh in my mind:

- sim chamber -> lobby -> hardware labs to repair LGS -> lobby again
- optional: backtrack to neuromod division to find December and remove the neuromod DRM
- elevator is broken so instead: psychotronics (get scope) -> GUTS -> arboretum
- optional: repair elevator to visit power systems and life support and do some quests there early
- crew quarters to collect voiceprints
- deep storage -> EVA to cargo pits

Yeah, that's intended. If you'd kept going for another thirty seconds you would have found a "no access past this point without scope" door and been told to backtrack and look for one. That said, January should burble at you a bit when you pick it up, IIRC.

Ah, yes I remember now. I forgot the game explicitly tells you about Deep Storage before sending you through Psych.

Yuupppppp about to hit that install button on Steam when I get home from work I think :thumbsup:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

haveblue posted:

Oh cool! Definitely time for a replay, once I finish CoD: WWII anyway.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I found a pattern for neuromods so now I'm just gonna make as many as I can and do all the things :shlick:

So is research based off of just looking at things, or is there a time component? All the advice was basically to get the Psychoscope before exploring, I guess so I could learn about things and unlock new powers?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Glagha posted:

Also there's no shame in firing off flares and then running away until you hear "AAA AAAA IT BURNS IT BURNS"

Not emptyquoting but thanks to Fresh Supply version (thanks Kaiser, Night Dive and Rocket Pan!) it's becoming my top build game just because it handles and runs so loving good in any circumstance. Duke3D's throne is in danger because of all these years without a proper source port.

I'd buy it again full price for my PS4.

Arivia posted:

I found a pattern for neuromods so now I'm just gonna make as many as I can and do all the things :shlick:

So is research based off of just looking at things, or is there a time component? All the advice was basically to get the Psychoscope before exploring, I guess so I could learn about things and unlock new powers?

Alien skill research is just using the Psychoscope and you can research by looking at the same class of typhon but once to the exact same entity. Don't go overboard with crafting neuromods because the real roadblock on the game is mineral material (used to craft shotgun ammo for example) and for a combat-based run, I felt like I was short on that kinda ammo by the last third of the game because I spent so much on neuromods.

I read beforeiplay when I was around mid-game and some of its advice is good but imo hacking and repair are both well worth it spending points because with hacking you get more resources early without needing to find a post-it with a code and repair was great to fix certain annoying paths and also be very efficient with spare parts. Reinforcing turrets is no joke by end-game. Leverage II is a great hability and you can throw a loving locker to a typhon to kill it. For a stealthy/hacker character, spend points on the wrench on the engineer tree and sneak attack on security (250% extra damage on an unaware enemy is no joke even with a silenced pistol), but most important, the first skill you should get is materials expert to get extra materials from recycling.

Oh, and playing on PC, if you have a controller (xbox or whatever) plugged makes hacking A LOT easier as you move your dot with an analog and not with keys. And by A LOT is because lvl2 hack things can be harder than lvl4 because of the shorter time and layout of the blocks.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 27, 2019

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I am seriously inclined to take necropsy just to get more neuromods even though beforeiplay says it sucks.

e: uhhhh does this note I read in psychotronics mean what I think it means? that morgan's repeated simulations were an attempt to teach a typhon with human DNA as well? aaaaaaaa

Arivia fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 27, 2019

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Prey (2017)....good.

E: to make this not a poo poo post, I think I want to play Prey 2006. Anyway to get a copy legit?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Arivia posted:

I am seriously inclined to take necropsy just to get more neuromods even though beforeiplay says it sucks.

e: uhhhh does this note I read in psychotronics mean what I think it means? that morgan's repeated simulations were an attempt to teach a typhon with human DNA as well? aaaaaaaa

Is this your first time playing? Because if it is I would begin to avoid spoilers at this point.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Arivia posted:

Necropsy is only good if you avoid combat but is really bad after the first third of the game as you'll swim on exotic material and crafting too many neuromods will make you go out of mineral material (ammo!).

Beat the game with whatever ending you desire, and there's an after credits scene you should watch but yeah, if you do like me and read EVERYTHING (my playthrough took me 31 hours since I listened and read every loving email in the station and got the cheevo for that, paying attention spoils the thing for you. Doesn't make it worse imo.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Prey (2017)....good.

E: to make this not a poo poo post, I think I want to play Prey 2006. Anyway to get a copy legit?

Your options are either get a key from somewhere to redeem on steam or get it for xbox360 either digital or on DVD. I got the game on PC at launch so I own my retail PC release redeemed on steam and a digital copy on Xbox360 that is, nicely enough, backwards compatible on Xbox One so you'll basically own it forever.

Edit: Sorry about the Prey 2017 talk in here but it's truly what Bioshock wanted to be (a System Shock game) in my opinion and I enjoyed Bioshock 1 and 2, but Prey blow them all out of the water.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Prey (2017)....good.

Prey 06 is one of those games where it's pretty much :filez: or bust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Isn't Prey the game where they somehow ran out of valid CD keys to sell?