Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Class action?

For light poles? I don’t see how you’d get past the non-incidental requirement for monetary relief after Walmart v Dukes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

https://twitter.com/goons_txt/status/1199160934486433792?s=21

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Law graduate but not a lawyer? So much for that IQ

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
that's gotta be Izzy

I miss that little freak

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Nice piece of fish posted:

Fun fact: "caught" means horny in norwegian. Which makes that song hilarious.

That song is about being horny, but in a very weird way.

The "plot" of the song is a guy wants to cheat on his wife so responds to a personal ad in the paper for someone who likes pina coladas and getting caught in the rain, arranges to meet her and it turns out it was his wife trying to cheat on him.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 26, 2019

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Sab0921 posted:

That song is about being horny, but in a very weird way.

The "plot" of the song is a guy wants to cheat on his wife so responds to a personal ad in the paper for someone who likes pina coladas and getting caught in the rain, arranges to meet her and it turns out it was his wife trying to cheat on him.

Wrong the song is about being a stupid bitch who loves terrible music

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Take a deep breath. It'll all be ok.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Something something I didn't even know they made a song about you but thanks for letting us know

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
A. Anyone who quotes their IQ, much like weight on driver’s licenses, is off by at least 10. And they are also a douche.

B. It’s a catchy tune. But good god they’re both awful humans.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

ActusRhesus posted:

B. It’s a catchy tune. But good god they’re both awful humans.

If you look at Escape as the Gift of the Magi for the Boomers it makes even more sense.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
So I lit a fire, isn't tit good, Norwegian Wood.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

joat mon posted:

If you look at Escape as the Gift of the Magi for the Boomers it makes even more sense.

Oh my god.

You’re right.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
If y'like Poly Study Partners,
And the Traveling Pants
Getting married to ex-wives,
Come with me, and let's dance

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

blarzgh posted:

If y'like Poly Study Partners,
And the Traveling Pants
Getting married to ex-wives,
Come with me, and let's dance

:discourse:

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

joat mon posted:

Holy poo poo.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1199718185865535490?s=20

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I hate him so much but he really is very good at trolling everyone.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I hate him so much but he really is very good at trolling everyone.

It's not as if trolling people is hard though.

Especially if you are a giant narcissist who doesn't give a poo poo about the thoughts and feelings of other people and who is sheltered from any consequences of his actions by his wealth and massive institutional power.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Opposing party in litigation files a grievance against me.

Opposing counsel then takes that grievance and says "Here's a settlement offer and a motion to disqualify. It would be good for your client, my client and you if she takes this."

That's not loving good, dude.

I'm immediately withdrawing.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

GrandmaParty posted:

Opposing counsel then takes that grievance and says "Here's a settlement offer and a motion to disqualify. It would be good for your client, my client and you if she takes this."

Yeah, but did they use the literal words quid pro quo?

Seriously, though, that loving sucks. gently caress those people.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

GrandmaParty posted:

Christ. I'm not a litigator but if someone pulled that nonsense on me, I'd go to war without limit. I'd even drop my rates if fees started to stress my client's finances just so I could burn that opposing party and his counsel to the ground.

EDIT: I once had the other party to a JV convince my client to fire me because I insisted that the JV comply with applicable securities laws and regulations. He made all kinds of crazy claims to my client that I was incompetent and unethical. I ended up fired and after I was fired and they retained new joint counsel the entire JV fell apart because the dipshits ran into the problems that I had identified and had been preparing them to address.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 27, 2019

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

gently caress. I'd strongly consider a retaliatory complaint to the bar about illegitimate litigation tactics. I'd also attach that grievance, settlement offer, and proposed motion to disqualify to my immediate motion for sanctions.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I think the only thing I can do is withdraw and advise her to get new counsel because they've created a conflict of interest between me and my client.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

GrandmaParty posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with people

Does this person understand how badly you could beat them at golf??

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

GrandmaParty posted:

I think the only thing I can do is withdraw and advise her to get new counsel because they've created a conflict of interest between me and my client.

You might need to withdraw, but I would definitely speak with attorney services (or whatever your equivalent is) for a legal opinion on the existence of a conflict/your options for lodging a complaint or request for sanctions against OC.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Arcturas posted:

gently caress. I'd strongly consider a retaliatory complaint to the bar about illegitimate litigation tactics. I'd also attach that grievance, settlement offer, and proposed motion to disqualify to my immediate motion for sanctions.

Yeah what the gently caress is this poo poo? That's a probable disbarment for OC over here, because that's not only in direct violation of ethics statutes, it's tantamount to blackmail. gently caress that dude.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

GrandmaParty posted:

I don't know what state you're in but I would definitely call your state bar ethics hotline before withdrawing. As a general rule a grievance itself is not grounds for a COI but rather the underlying conduct. I'd be surprised if your state's ethics rules allowed an OP to file a meritless grievance against the opposing counsel and then use that grievance to blackmail the attorney into withdrawing. What would prevent the OP (or any party in any litigation) from doing this repeatedly? In any event, this may be the type of conflict that the client could waive.

If it were me unless the ethics required withdrawing I'd loving go to war with the other side.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, if anything I'd file the complaint at the very least as a CYA measure in case their grievance complaint goes forward.

Obviously if you don't have anything in writing it's gonna be a hard sell, but being first on the record is usually a good thing.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Yeah, if anything I'd file the complaint at the very least as a CYA measure in case their grievance complaint goes forward.

Obviously if you don't have anything in writing it's gonna be a hard sell, but being first on the record is usually a good thing.

Everything is in writing.

I filed a withdrawal, got my client new counsel, told them I'd testify as to OP's behavior and supplemented my response to the grievance with all that poo poo.

I don't think I can be good counsel if I'm personally invested in the case. I'm gonna gently caress both of them over to the best of my ability, though.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 27, 2019

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

GrandmaParty posted:

I thought this sort of thing was very much not kosher.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

GrandmaParty posted:

That's nuts - isn't that something that would get OC in trouble if reported to the bar?

On the transactional side, it is not uncommon for certain sponsor's counsel firms to say that they will not recommend us to be designated as lender's counsel on future LBOs unless we ease off on the one we're working on now (while telling their client that we are being uncommercial, obstructive, etc.).

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

gvibes posted:

I thought this sort of thing was very much not kosher.

It very much is not. Some jurisdictions (e.g., DC) have express statutory provisions against that kind of behavior, others have interpreted their RPC to ban it, but that kind of bullshit can easily net you anything from censure to disbarment.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

GrandmaParty posted:

I filed a withdrawal, got my client new counsel, told them I'd testify as to OP's behavior and supplemented my response to the grievance with all that poo poo.

I don't think I can be good counsel if I'm personally invested in the case. I'm gonna gently caress both of them over to the best of my ability, though.

gently caress man. Burn them to the ground.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Arcturas posted:

GrandmaParty posted:

Yeah, I think that's the only option they left you in that situation. Even if the opposing party's ethical complaint against you was legitimate, using that complaint as a negotiation tactic was not. . . and you have an ethical duty to report that to the bar organization.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Lucrative opportunity for Missouri family lawyers. See GBS for details.

Do go, lots of jobs, get paid in spine fund money avs and dead forums social currency.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

yronic heroism posted:

Lucrative opportunity for Missouri family lawyers. See GBS for details.

Do go, lots of jobs, get paid in spine fund money avs and dead forums social currency.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3904883&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

lol what a mess, jesus

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

:stare:

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Eh. that's like any DV and/or family file honestly

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

terrorist ambulance posted:

:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

terrorist ambulance posted:

Oh I know, my practice is all DV. Still a goddamn mess.

If he actually starts posting in the forums about it too along with the FB posts then lol though.

edit: someone repost that book list that kept getting quoted, I need some airplane reading

Eminent Domain fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 28, 2019