Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
numeracy
This poll is closed.
s*x n*mb*r 69 0.22%
w@@d n_mb_r 420 1.34%
Jeb! number 538 1.72%
Biden numbr 30330 96.72%
Total: 31357 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

ladies and gentlemen the app of the primary is here

I'm confused because this reads to me like an admission that the 2016 primary was rigged against the most popular candidate, but I know that Sam Bee is bullshit and would never admit this, but I can't read it any other way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
we have embraced death, only to spend our time openly asking why things are so hopeless

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

A Handed Missus posted:

how is he keeping his chin up? looking so proud?

because peaceful transition persevered. the norms... persevered. obama won :smug:

A reminder that kids were already in camps and being separated from parents as official policy when this picture was taken.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mormonpartyboat posted:

meritocracy is more a fundamental element of social structures with any competitive elements - those that are better at a given competition will succeed. you cannot sever that without a perfectly uniform society composed of perfectly identical individuals. recognizing its effects is not a sin

but what is a sin is calling that merit a moral merit, as if being better at a given competition deserves accolades and reward from those less capable. those who are better at certain things are then driven to rank the value of those certain things, such that those who are better at acquiring wealth are more important than those who are better at painting or thinking happy thoughts.

it shifts the fundamental existential recognition from the individual as an individual to an individual in service to the machine to an individual in service to the individuals that run the machine

it obliterates people and replaces them with obligation and service to a transactional culture, where you're forced to constantly justify your existence, both externally and internally

but if your definition includes “being born into wealth” as “being better at competing” then sure you’ve made the term basically meaningless

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

loquacius posted:

I'm confused because this reads to me like an admission that the 2016 primary was rigged against the most popular candidate, but I know that Sam Bee is bullshit and would never admit this, but I can't read it any other way

Nah its her throwing a joke about Hillary losing the popular vote

Except whoever created the graphic didn't think through the implications of using it in the primary

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Any day now.

https://twitter.com/SusanVermazen/status/1199397317314523137?s=20

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Trust the plan

edit: lol I didn't realize Q anon stole one of their slogans from an NBA coach

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Trabisnikof posted:

but if your definition includes “being born into wealth” as “being better at competing” then sure you’ve made the term basically meaningless

what definition

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

mormonpartyboat posted:

meritocracy is more a fundamental element of social structures with any competitive elements - those that are better at a given competition will succeed. you cannot sever that without a perfectly uniform society composed of perfectly identical individuals. recognizing its effects is not a sin

but what is a sin is calling that merit a moral merit, as if being better at a given competition deserves accolades and reward from those less capable. those who are better at certain things are then driven to rank the value of those certain things, such that those who are better at acquiring wealth are more important than those who are better at painting or thinking happy thoughts.

it shifts the fundamental existential recognition from the individual as an individual to an individual in service to the machine to an individual in service to the individuals that run the machine

it obliterates people and replaces them with obligation and service to a transactional culture, where you're forced to constantly justify your existence, both externally and internally

even this is fundamentally naive, because it assumes that success is based on performance in the competition independent of both inherited advantages and collusion to alter the rules of the competition itself

merit and ariste are synonyms, as are their derivatives, meritocracy and aristocracy

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

mormonpartyboat posted:

this isn't what meritocracy means. you're just stating a tautology that people succeed and fail in a competitive system.

meritocracy means [a just-so story] that people succeed based on individual merit of whatever potpourri of positive attributes

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
lol about the only place that meritocracy exists is professional sports and even then it requires a tremendous amount of luck to get to that point

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Even without wealth inheritance and all the indirect benefits like geographic proximity and family connections, there's networking and cronyism, too. For a lot of majors, by the time of your junior year in college they've switched the story to "it's not what you know, it's who you know" while encouraging attendance at networking events.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
like I could be born wealthy and get hired at through my parents connections but my dad being rich isn't going to help me catch a football

it will help of course getting to go to like a private high school that focuses on basketball or something but a lot of those kids will wash out in college if they even go

of course, that's assuming you dont' get sick and miss a tryout or you don't like blow out your ACL playing a game in high school. but for the most part professional athletes are the best at what they do. but that's like the only place I think I could argue that a meritocracy or something close to it actually exists

spacemang_spliff has issued a correction as of 17:06 on Nov 27, 2019

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

galenanorth posted:

Even without wealth inheritance and all the indirect benefits like geographic proximity and family connections, there's networking and cronyism, too. For a lot of majors, by the time of your junior year in college they've switched the story to "it's not what you know, it's who you know" while encouraging attendance at networking events.

If you ever attend a work search seminar of any sort, from ones for welfare recipients up, they straight up tell you that the vast majority of jobs are filled through nepotism

i mean they usually call it networking, but that's about the amount of effort they put into hiding it

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

comedyblissoption posted:

this isn't what meritocracy means. you're just stating a tautology that people succeed and fail in a competitive system.

yeah, but all this other bullshit just kind of drives past that tautology and the myriad of small competitive systems that build up social structures. people ignoring the trees for the forest

you gotta start from the basics, and recognize the importance of them. that tautology is the engine of current systems, the important thing is gaining the perspective to recognize the sheer volume of competitive systems that drive decisionmaking every day, and the ways that the criteria for success are usually very different than the nominal criteria for success

dipshits sprinting after academic acclaim by skipping the dirty work is, also, a function of meritocracy. as is worshiping their trails

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

spacemang_spliff posted:

Trust the plan

edit: lol I didn't realize Q anon stole one of their slogans from an NBA coach

It was a phrase designed to gaslight 76ers fans into believing that their dogshit team wasn't just dogshit, but dogshit for the purpose of gaming the draft and that they'd be good someday. Which is 100% applicable to pretty much everything in contemporary American society.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Warren: *backtracks on a whole bunch of her policies including M4A; freezes up on-camera whenever she hits the slightest bit of resistance; loses a bunch of support in the polls*

Tom Watson: goddammit THANKS A LOT BERNIE :mad:

https://twitter.com/GarbageApe/status/1199718320162922496

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Nothus posted:

It was a phrase designed to gaslight 76ers fans into believing that their dogshit team wasn't just dogshit, but dogshit for the purpose of gaming the draft and that they'd be good someday. Which is 100% applicable to pretty much everything in contemporary American society.

lol god America sucks

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

meritocracy as an idea is about promoting a nominal socially acceptable criteria for success and not about what actually gets ahead. no one promoting meritocracy is running around saying society should better reward nepotistic gladhanding and machiavellian backstabbing and in general promote the opposite idea, saying that such problems if they are acknowledged to exist are flaws that need to be rooted out for a better meritocratic society

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Hodgepodge posted:

because it assumes that success is based on performance in the competition independent of both inherited advantages and collusion to alter the rules of the competition itself

no it doesn't

it's just talking directly about the actual things being measured rather than the nominal things being measured. that there's usually a huge gulf between the two is the loving point, that and the fact that there's way more micro-competitions happening that have a far greater aggregate value than the few macro-competitions that people tend to hoot and holler about

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

lol they're just straight up calling them investors

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

mormonpartyboat posted:

no it doesn't

it's just talking directly about the actual things being measured rather than the nominal things being measured. that there's usually a huge gulf between the two is the loving point, that and the fact that there's way more micro-competitions happening that have a far greater aggregate value than the few macro-competitions that people tend to hoot and holler about

this reads like you're trying to say something straightforward while possessed by eripsa

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

comedyblissoption posted:

i personally dont like societal narratives that separate people into hard-working, mediocre, smart, etc.

yeah "smart" doesn't have a whole hell of a lot to do with class mobility outside of like a genuine mental disability or something, and Harriot is a guy with an exhaustive education in black history and a job writing as a "wypipologist" who gets totally blown away that Presidential candidates are personally charming and the FBI didn't side with him against the billionaire white President of the United States, so I got opinions on who the real mediocre mind is here.

But like, I grew up in conditions pretty similar to the ones he describes, and I wasn't exactly a straight-A student, and being able to pass for a distant Trump relative by putting on a thrift store suit and some rich-kid affectations was a huge part of getting old white folks to focus on the good parts of my resume instead of all that poo poo. Meanwhile any time a black kid shows up in the news for any reason there's hordes of people scouring Facebook for evidence he ever smoked a weed or made a funny hand sign and is therefore A Thug who should be killed immediately, and I don't buy that those guys aren't exactly the same way when it comes to deciding who to help or hire. I could afford to have a less than perfect record while people are sucking their teeth about whether any given ghetto kid from Baltimore is really exceptional enough to deserve a job or a scholarship. They just factually have to never gently caress up to get as far as a white guy who fucks up all the time, and there isn't a lot of language to describe that that hasn't been coopted by meritocratic smugging.

A Wizard of Goatse has issued a correction as of 17:27 on Nov 27, 2019

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Hodgepodge posted:

this reads like you're trying to say something straightforward while possessed by eripsa

sorry id idnt think 'our personalities are built up from a million tiny value judgments, which we take for granted' was v mind shattering

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
democrats are a mess

democrats are a waste

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mormonpartyboat posted:

sorry id idnt think 'our personalities are built up from a million tiny value judgments, which we take for granted' was v mind shattering

Our personalities are but a tiny, mostly irrelevant schema of the resource gathering appendage we call our bodies, which exists primarily to feed the gut microbiota.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mormonpartyboat posted:

no it doesn't

what measurements?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol about the only place that meritocracy exists is professional sports and even then it requires a tremendous amount of luck to get to that point

Being professional level at sports is almost solely genetic.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Addamere posted:

Our personalities are but a tiny, mostly irrelevant schema of the resource gathering appendage we call our bodies, which exists primarily to feed the gut microbiota.

perhaps the answer to the ever present question of "who farted?" is, in fact, all of us

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

this implies that the poop transplant is the single biggest contribution to human society

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

I
Being professional level at sports is almost solely genetic.

This is absolutely not true

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Presenting Nipples posted:

im the nba star with one leg

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

spacemang_spliff posted:

like I could be born wealthy and get hired at through my parents connections but my dad being rich isn't going to help me catch a football

it will help of course getting to go to like a private high school that focuses on basketball or something but a lot of those kids will wash out in college if they even go

of course, that's assuming you dont' get sick and miss a tryout or you don't like blow out your ACL playing a game in high school. but for the most part professional athletes are the best at what they do. but that's like the only place I think I could argue that a meritocracy or something close to it actually exists

Like most things in American society, economic inequality is erasing a lot of opportunity for poorer kids in sport. basketball and baseball are being dominated by kids who are on travel teams which are very expensive to participate on. Football is a little different since there isn't really competition outside of the high school season. track and field has club meets but is also pretty cheap to participate in. most other sports like swimming, ice hockey, lacrosse, etc are expensive to participate in because of the scarcity of the playing areas required or it only being played in affluent areas.

there are definitely poor kids that have sheer talent and are able to overcome the barriers, but it's a stacked playing field

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Presenting Nipples posted:

To get to that top fraction of a percent you have to have top tier genetics.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1199728969949552640

racism: actually good?

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

punk rebel ecks posted:

To get to that top fraction of a percent you have to have top tier genetics.

lol gently caress off

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/electricfire89/status/1199727852012363782

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

https://twitter.com/thoatley/status/1199638078673084417

free college: actually unaffordable?

WampaLord