Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
anytime a feature seems needlessly difficult, try implementing a simple prototype in plain html/css. it'll inevitably go straight to production and confound every web dev you know who can't figure out which webpack plugin generated the code. it's like the old-school concept of securing your job with obfuscation, but in reverse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.

DaTroof posted:

anytime a feature seems needlessly difficult, try implementing a simple prototype in plain html/css. it'll inevitably go straight to production and confound every web dev you know who can't figure out which webpack plugin generated the code. it's like the old-school concept of securing your job with obfuscation, but in reverse

I feel like this post needs an 'Ok boomer.'

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

"just code it in HTML 4.01. it allows custom attributes."

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

rt4 posted:

Jquery will still be using XMLHttpRequest underneath. The code's pretty readable, so you might check how it's implemented and just paste the good parts into your own codebase.

To add to this, the jquery just returns the plain XMLHttpRequest object, which has the abort() method. All that needs to be done here is replacing the jquery $.ajax call with the equivalent vanilla javascript version, which is like a few lines of code.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

theres nothing wrong with php 5.6 and jquery

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

DaTroof posted:

what if it needs to do stuff

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

prom candy posted:

what if it needs to do stuff

I wasn't serious, just having a posting stroke over a really lovely web app I just inherited. I can deal with jQuery, Underscore, Angular, or Knockout individually, but I want to fight whoever thought it was okay to use all four at once.

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
grafana has that beat. it uses angularjs, rxjs, react (with hooks), redux, jquery, and d3. plus the whole kitchen sink of smaller libraries like moment,lodash,etc of course

Flat Daddy fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 26, 2019

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Lol at moment being called a "small library".
We halved the payload of one of our apps by removing moment that somebody introduced to create a single date instance.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Why aren't more people taking about Elm? I've been stuck in a functional programming rabbit hole for the past four days, and I goddamn love Elm. It has elegant solutions to like 95% of the big complaints I see thrown around about pure JS/React/Vue/state management/etc. It's like more and more principles from Elm (and FP in general) are creeping over into the way people USE JS and how frameworks are built but for some reason very few makes the full plunge.

Joda fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 26, 2019

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Flat Daddy posted:

grafana has that beat. it uses angularjs, rxjs, react (with hooks), redux, jquery, and d3. plus the whole kitchen sink of smaller libraries like moment,lodash,etc of course

I've started to delve in to grafana a couple of times to contribute to it and...well gently caress all of that.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Joda posted:

Why aren't more people taking about Elm? I've been stuck in a functional programming rabbit hole for the past four days, and I goddamn love Elm. It has elegant solutions to like 95% of the big complaints I see thrown around about pure JS/React/Vue/state management/etc. It's like more and more principles from Elm (and FP in general) are creeping over into the way people USE JS and how frameworks are built but for some reason very few makes the full plunge.

There were a few of us talking about it some a year or three ago.

The main problem with Elm is that unless you're a sole developer good luck getting anyone else to work with you!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Joda posted:

I've been working on getting my head around Elm, and while I'm getting there I don't think I'm terribly impressed by it. View rendering in particular annoys me. I like that the concepts behind it are percolating into JS, but I'm not convinced that I need another language to do it in.

Plus the official guide kinda sucks.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

gbut posted:

Lol at moment being called a "small library".
We halved the payload of one of our apps by removing moment that somebody introduced to create a single date instance.

i remember when we had to install bundle size inspection tools because of how bloated our production bundle had become only to find out moment was literally over 90% of it.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Joda posted:

Because I have to load data frequently. I love elm and have built a few apps with it, and it’s an amazing language. But loading data is (or at least was) an awful experience.

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
moment-timezone is the big fuckup I’ve seen the most. It’s always 90%+ of the bundle and never used for actual time zone conversions IME

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Moment turning date management into something sensible is worth every overhead compared to loving vanilla JS.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Moment turning date management into something sensible is worth every overhead compared to loving vanilla JS.

thanks installing it now

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Moment uses mutable dates (which have caused a lot of bugs), and the parser is extremely lenient if you don’t pass the right options (which has also caused a lot of bugs).

A while ago people were super into date-fns as a replacement but I’m sure there is some new hotness.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
It never ceases to amaze me how even in the relatively common area of datetime parsing the Javascript ecosystem still needs to spin its wheels churning out new library after new library, each one (subtly) broken in a different way.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

smackfu posted:

Moment uses mutable dates (which have caused a lot of bugs), and the parser is extremely lenient if you don’t pass the right options (which has also caused a lot of bugs).

A while ago people were super into date-fns as a replacement but I’m sure there is some new hotness.

I think Luxon is the new hotness since it's made by the moment team/maintainer? so it has that going for it. date-fns is very good though.

Sagacity posted:

It never ceases to amaze me how even in the relatively common area of datetime parsing the Javascript ecosystem still needs to spin its wheels churning out new library after new library, each one (subtly) broken in a different way.

I mean, the way people work with JS has changed a lot since moment was first made. And Dates suck in general, so it makes sense that new libraries would start appearing.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Sagacity posted:

It never ceases to amaze me how even in the relatively common area of datetime parsing any basic operation the Javascript ecosystem still needs to spin its wheels churning out new library after new library, each one (subtly) broken in a different way.

FTFY

marumaru
May 20, 2013

javascript bad

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Inacio posted:

javascript programming bad

Also lol just did a hackerrank for a front end engineer position that wanted me to go Diamond Mining in a 2D array.
Yes, this is very relevant to the Front-End problem space.

Yeah, gently caress off.

Gildiss fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 27, 2019

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

lunar detritus posted:

And Dates suck in general, so it makes sense that new libraries would start appearing.
But my point is they keep appearing. As a counterpoint, in Java someone came up with JodaTime. Everyone found it to be cool and good so it got more or less rolled into the stdlib. Done. People could go on writing actually useful code instead of a newer, more _modern_ datetime library.

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thermopyle posted:

I've started to delve in to grafana a couple of times to contribute to it and...well gently caress all of that.

i maintain a plugin for work and the documentation for their plugin apis may as well be a giant inflatable middle finger that comes out of your monitor and hits you in the face when you click the link

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
the software itself is slick. users like it a lot. so ah well

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Gildiss posted:

Also lol just did a hackerrank for a front end engineer position that wanted me to go Diamond Mining in a 2D array.

Yeah, gently caress off.

I had a company send me a 300-item (that's three hundred) algorithms test for a front-end position. There were some reasonably complex items too.
It was at a cool company but you can bet that I didn't do it.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Gildiss posted:

Yeah, gently caress off.

lol wonder if you applied to my team...ours is coin mining though

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Sagacity posted:

But my point is they keep appearing. As a counterpoint, in Java someone came up with JodaTime. Everyone found it to be cool and good so it got more or less rolled into the stdlib. Done. People could go on writing actually useful code instead of a newer, more _modern_ datetime library.

You ignored the first part of my sentence. Javascript has changed a lot. According to you we should all still be using jQuery to modify the DOM because it was a great solution at the time.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

lunar detritus posted:

You ignored the first part of my sentence. Javascript has changed a lot. According to you we should all still be using jQuery to modify the DOM because it was a great solution at the time.
No, according to me you wouldn't continually replace complete libraries with completely different ones all the time.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i hate when Big NPM hacks into my computer and deletes the library i've been using

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
Management hosed up and included a paid chart library in their product without paying for it. They had a panic attack and instructed myself and another developer to rip the chart library out and replace it with ChartJS. It's all been going fine for the week we've been at it making great progress.

Then someone somewhere in management, with zero input from the Front End, based on what I assume is some sort of brain aneurysm said "What we should actually do is use D3.js I hear that's baller." and myself and the other FEDs are literally howling about it because D3 is not a loving "yeah just use it." loving library it's an absolute monster compared to ChartJS and it's going to take me loving _days_ to produce something vaguely resembling a chart with this because NO ONE in the office has used it before.

I loving hate this sort of Set You Up To Fail poo poo.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Ape Fist posted:

Management hosed up and included a paid chart library in their product without paying for it. They had a panic attack and instructed myself and another developer to rip the chart library out and replace it with ChartJS. It's all been going fine for the week we've been at it making great progress.

Then someone somewhere in management, with zero input from the Front End, based on what I assume is some sort of brain aneurysm said "What we should actually do is use D3.js I hear that's baller." and myself and the other FEDs are literally howling about it because D3 is not a loving "yeah just use it." loving library it's an absolute monster compared to ChartJS and it's going to take me loving _days_ to produce something vaguely resembling a chart with this because NO ONE in the office has used it before.

Why is management making technology decisions?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
$ git mv chart.js D3.js

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

You probably want Plotly that sits above d3.js, good luck!

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Ape Fist posted:

Name your charting service, as in not just the library but where your custom code is located, etc, internally as the "D3 system".

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
first frontend project I worked on after college I had to monkey patch chartjs to render legends straight to the canvas (at the time it outputted them below the chart as HTML) because we needed them to show up on exported images and we needed this ASAP!!

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Flat Daddy posted:

first frontend project I worked on after college I had to monkey patch chartjs to render legends straight to the canvas (at the time it outputted them below the chart as HTML) because we needed them to show up on exported images and we needed this ASAP!!

Narrator: They didn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Ape Fist posted:

why howl? just say OK, put it on the backlog, maybe include d3.js in the script code of the page if you're feeling particularly motivated, and never get around to actually using it. if they challenge you to use it, just spend a month coming up with an ChartLibraryAdapter that allows you to either plug in d3 or chartjs and also future proofs it for any other future charting library.