Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rolo posted:

Still looking at a 64g WiFi Pro 11. Anyone notice anything Black Friday yet? Amazon has them for 674 and I’m thinking about just pulling the trigger.

Cnet's tracking deals and yeah that's the best they've seen so far (though the best ever was $650 at some point).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Kilometers Davis posted:

So is this something worth trying if I can’t stand adobe subscription garbage and miss doing photography? I’m curious about how much I would enjoy doing all of it via iPad. Is it reasonable to think I could use that app + my camera for my entire setup?

Pixelmator Photo lets you adjust all the stuff that I assume every “professional” grade photo editor lets you adjust (exposure, colors, etc). On top of that, it leans heavily on ML to automagically make adjustments if you want, and you can do it per setting (like you can use ML to adjust the white color and manually adjust shadows). All of these changes can be saved as a “filter” like Instagram and can then be applied to other pictures. It also comes with a bunch of pre-built ones to help you get started.

But the best feature of the app is the object removal tool. You activate it, you get an eraser, and you can erase out pieces of gum stuck to the floor or people in the background. Granted it doesn’t work 100% of the time but it works pretty well. I’m guessing that people who know how to use Photoshop to do this probably don’t care as much(?) but for someone like me, an amateur that just wants my Instagram pictures to look better, it can’t be any easier.

Combine this app with a recent iPhone taking pictures with the Halide app (for RAW) and you’ve got a setup good enough for most people.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Brydge Pro is on sale for $99 from $169, even on Amazon. I ordered it ahead of my work 12.9” coming my way. One thing that I liked that the Logitech Slim has is the flap that covers and secures the pen. For those of you that have the Brydge, what solution do you have to better secure the pen aside from just putting it in your pocket as you’re on the move between meetings and such? I can easily see myself bumping it and it going flying, potentially without my knowledge.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Rolo posted:

Still looking at a 64g WiFi Pro 11. Anyone notice anything Black Friday yet? Amazon has them for 674 and I’m thinking about just pulling the trigger.

If you're near a Microcenter they just went on sale for $659
https://www.microcenter.com/product/514209/apple-ipad-pro---space-gray-(late-2018)

Regualr iPad 128gb is down to $310 as well.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 27, 2019

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
For those looking for a one-time purchase, Affinity Photo is a gold standard iPad photo app for me. All of their apps are outstanding.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

mediaphage posted:

For those looking for a one-time purchase, Affinity Photo is a gold standard iPad photo app for me. All of their apps are outstanding.

Yeah, I grabbed Pixelmater because it was free. I’ll do a comparison, but Affinity is my tool of choice on both the Mac and iPad. It’s just so good.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Pixelmator is full price in Aus :(

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, I grabbed Pixelmater because it was free. I’ll do a comparison, but Affinity is my tool of choice on both the Mac and iPad. It’s just so good.

Yup, I use designer almost daily now. I also figured out how to use publisher (no mobile apps yet) to do a catalog and newsletters for a local animal group. I dunno how powerful it is for people who need it but I thought it was super easy to use.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Affinity products are great, but if you've been raised on Adobe it's real tough to get the hang of them. They go out of their way to make the help features as clear as possible, but it's still a difficult transition.

Editing pictures for the Christmas card today and holy poo poo iPad Pro w/Pencil + MBP w/Sidecar. I've used Duet and Astropad, but this is as seamless as it gets.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

Affinity products are great, but if you've been raised on Adobe it's real tough to get the hang of them. They go out of their way to make the help features as clear as possible, but it's still a difficult transition.

Editing pictures for the Christmas card today and holy poo poo iPad Pro w/Pencil + MBP w/Sidecar. I've used Duet and Astropad, but this is as seamless as it gets.

Yeah I really like Affinity – Designer in particularly is so fast and snappy on my 2013 15" compared to illustrator. Unfortunately, all the design houses and teams I work with are 100% adobe, and since we exchange source files a lot that means lots of InDesign files, which means...it's just easier to use Adobe. If I didn't have that requirement, I'd cancel CC and use Affinity and replace Premiere 100% with Davinci Resolve.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Yeah, I still use Photoshop way more than Photo on Mac/PC, but Adobe's work on the iPad so far has been pretty mediocre.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I recommend the guide books, too.

Also I'm super jelly of that, can't wait until I eventually get new tech to do that. So far the solutions have been either slow/buggy or too expensive.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The Affinity apps also have Sidecar support for finger scrolling + pencil pointer, which is pretty nice.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Are there any free and cool presentation tools these days? I really liked the canvas idea of Prezi when I first saw it years back. I won’t use it enough for it to be worth paying for though and I’m not even sure if it works well with the iPad.

I’d like something that let’s me easily use the pencil because there are parts where I would need to draw to better explain things.

Are there any good alternatives? The finished presentation needs to work well with Windows as well.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

keynote (exports to powerpoint files)? google slides? bueller?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yeah I bought designer a couple months ago thinking I could use it for graphic design on the bus or whatever when I don't have Photoshop. LOL I DO NOT UNDERSTAND IT AT ALL. I can't make anything half decent looking with it. I can't figure out how to even add effects to text other than the gaudy rear end sample ones.

Also hella jealous of Sidecar, my MBP is too old :(

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ddogflex posted:

Yeah I bought designer a couple months ago thinking I could use it for graphic design on the bus or whatever when I don't have Photoshop. LOL I DO NOT UNDERSTAND IT AT ALL. I can't make anything half decent looking with it. I can't figure out how to even add effects to text other than the gaudy rear end sample ones.

Also hella jealous of Sidecar, my MBP is too old :(

I bought the Udemy class on Affinity Designer. I've only had a chance to watch a couple of the lessons, but should I ever find the time to watch it straight through I'll know exactly how to use Affinity Designer.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

I bought the Udemy class on Affinity Designer. I've only had a chance to watch a couple of the lessons, but should I ever find the time to watch it straight through I'll know exactly how to use Affinity Designer.

I’ll have to go through this. I haven’t read them, but I believe the affinity workbooks get good ratings.

Xabi posted:

Are there any free and cool presentation tools these days? I really liked the canvas idea of Prezi when I first saw it years back. I won’t use it enough for it to be worth paying for though and I’m not even sure if it works well with the iPad.

I’d like something that let’s me easily use the pencil because there are parts where I would need to draw to better explain things.

Are there any good alternatives? The finished presentation needs to work well with Windows as well.

Definitely try keynote.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

So my iPad slipped off the table while I was charging my Apple Pencil. The casing on the pencil is hosed, and the guts are leaking. The lightning port on the iPad is now , unsurprisingly , loose.

If anyone else is using a pencil 1 use the coupler ffs don’t allow a simple boner damage hundreds of dollars of gear

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

mediaphage posted:

I’ll have to go through this. I haven’t read them, but I believe the affinity workbooks get good ratings.

I can confirm, they are both good and well laid out.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Does anyone know how to “reset” the cached image of an app that shows up while fast switching in iPadOS? When I switch from an app back to Awful, the cached saved state image of the app is in dark mode, and it’s pretty jarring when dark mode is switched off and the app is in light mode.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m building a pc that will use my TV instead of a desk setup. Is there a way to second screen and control it with my iPad? I’m only going to use it to run media and load games so I don’t want to have to keep a mouse on the couch 24/7.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Looks like there's a number of iOS apps that would allow you to use it as a keyboard and mouse

https://www.lifewire.com/use-phone-as-a-mouse-4154687

Any type of VNC or remote desktop solution like Jump Desktop or Splashtop would also work.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
I just picked up a like-new refurbished 2nd generation iPad Pro 12.9 with Pencil for 600€. Absolutely awesome device and I can see it being my main daily driver for anything besides my video and audio editing work. The Pencil is so much more useful than I anticipated and it’s a lot of fun to use.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Rolo posted:

I’m building a pc that will use my TV instead of a desk setup. Is there a way to second screen and control it with my iPad? I’m only going to use it to run media and load games so I don’t want to have to keep a mouse on the couch 24/7.

Why not get one of those inexpensive HTPC keyboards with a built in trackpad that Logitech makes? Seems way easier than making an iPad into a remote interface for a PC.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Kinda mad that I missed out on the iPad keyboard for $99 since I lost my job last week and had to give back my MacBook Pro so I don’t really have a :airquote:computer:airquote: anymore. As far as updating my resume and simple things like that an iPad (7th Gen) and keyboard is more than adequate nowadays, correct?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Why not get one of those inexpensive HTPC keyboards with a built in trackpad that Logitech makes? Seems way easier than making an iPad into a remote interface for a PC.

Hmmm

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Came to recommend this. We have one with a built in trackpad. Sleek, can turn off when not using the so the battery doesn’t drain much. Works great.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
A keyboard with a trackpad is obviously best but if you're just loading media and games do you need a mouse at all?
I have just cheap wireless keyboards on my HTPCs.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

~Coxy posted:

A keyboard with a trackpad is obviously best but if you're just loading media and games do you need a mouse at all?
I have just cheap wireless keyboards on my HTPCs.
I have considered this but imo the trackpads add little size above a normal keyboard and they’re useful when poo poo goes wrong. If you really want something small, several Chinese companies sell those little wireless phone-sized keyboards with a trackball and buttons on the bottom.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah I just ended up with a Logitech trackpad keyboard that has its own little plug and play dongle thing. I realized just how much easier this is going to be.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Should I be able to draw on the notes app with just my finger? I’m sure I used to be able to but now all it does is scroll or bring up the keyboard.

E: found the setting straight after this, never mind!

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Any speculation on when the iPads Air and Pro 11” are going to see an update?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I can’t find anything outside of rumor website mulch. Your guess is as good as any.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Lazyhound posted:

Any speculation on when the iPads Air and Pro 11” are going to see an update?

If I had to guess, I'd say new a Pro 11" will come in early 2020 with an A13X, and new Air won't happen until at least late 2020 or early 2021, probably coming with an A13.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Probably tomorrow as I just received my 12.9" one for work this week.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

iPad Air was just updated this summer so probably not for a while :shrug: The pros will probably get a refresh in the spring or next fall

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Rumors are miniLED is coming next Fall. If that’s true I don’t know how much Apple would update between now and then.

Between a iPhone 13 and an iPad Pro with miniLED, Apple is going to be taking all my money.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Krispy Wafer posted:

Rumors are miniLED is coming next Fall. If that’s true I don’t know how much Apple would update between now and then.

Between a iPhone 13 and an iPad Pro with miniLED, Apple is going to be taking all my money.

lmao tell me about it. In the last 3 months I've bought a 16" MBP, a 2018 Mac Mini, an iPhone Pro Max, and an iPad Mini (2019). If you go back 12 months add a Series 4 Apple Watch, and Airpods.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Still holding out for an iPad Mini Pro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Wouldn’t it be an iPad Pro mini?