Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

yeah those are all named by me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Luigi Thirty has a talent for witty save names. i try too but I'm not as funny.

evilweasel posted:

you get automatic sanctions - you lose your ability to generate energy through trade. these sanctions can't be waived by other players no matter how much they want to. but they don't need to declare war or anything, no.

my economy and lab infrastructure is laughably reliant on energy income from commerce so I'm not going to be nerve gassing anyone any time soon and for some reason the "repeal UN charter" council option is wayyy down the tech tree

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Glorgnole posted:

my economy and lab infrastructure is laughably reliant on energy income from commerce so I'm not going to be nerve gassing anyone any time soon and for some reason the "repeal UN charter" council option is wayyy down the tech tree

It's because it's a well designed game. Nerve Gas pods are super powerful but they have to have some hefty downside, otherwise everyone would use them exclusively. In MP it's a testament to game design that they aren't used more often then they are.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

It's because it's a well designed game. Nerve Gas pods are super powerful but they have to have some hefty downside, otherwise everyone would use them exclusively. In MP it's a testament to game design that they aren't used more often then they are.

meanwhile...

Pile Of Garbage posted:

was going through the pics folder on my PC and found this (source unknown), figured i'd post it:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I'm the dalmatian

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Looks ripe for some needle-jets/helicoptors to wreck some havoc. Though yea, IA is one of the first tech's that really let's you break the game and snowball.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Looks ripe for some needle-jets/helicoptors to wreck some havoc. Though yea, IA is one of the first tech's that really let's you break the game and snowball.

seize a couple of bases at the edge and just churn out scout patrols to kill the crawlers and destroy tile improvements

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i wanted Spartan leader and imprisoned war criminal Anthonypants to naturally experience this stuff through the game (since it's more fun / funnier that way) so i've got a few turns of catching up to do

the Monsoon Jungle (located smack dab in the middle of our map) is sort of a big deal strategically since every tile gives a +2 nutrient bonus, so any base in the jungle can grow very large without much effort or micromanaging. i was hoping that the Pirates would expand into it but Smoka is extremely dedicated to the piratical philosophy and is apparently forgoing land bases entirely. i was never really a fan of the Spartans laying claim to it, especially with a base with as provocative a name as "War Outpost".

a plan was hatched and in space year 2198 (four real-time months later!) i'm finally in a position to do something about it

here's a breakdown of forces in the area (to my knowledge). i would describe my odds as "p deec":

gaians:
- 2 trained impact infantry (4-3-1) - camped out in a rocky tile for that sick defensive bonus
- 1 trained impact speeder (4-1-2)

spartans:
- 1 scout skirmisher (1-2-2) - guarding formers outside base
- 2 mk1 battle ogres (6r-3r-1) - base garrison, ~80% damaged, non-repairable due to lost alien technology

first order of business is clearing out Spartan forces outside the base. the way the game lists probabilities was always confusing to me, but i figured out that it's "my odds of winning" vs "their odds or winning".

re: relevant combat effectiveness modifiers, "fast" ground units like rovers get a bonus when attacking units in non-rocky, non-forest terrain (apparently naturally-occuring rainforest doesn't count for this). attacking with less than a full move remaining, like after moving along a road or river, incurs a penalty. units get a defensive bonus in rocky terrain, fungus, and bases. infantry gets a bonus when attacking bases.

pew pew!

my infantry used up their move getting into position outside War Outpost so the two attacks with the rover are all i can manage this turn.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

on to 2199! the Spartans have noticed the small army outside their base and hurry production of additional defensive forces, though they won't be completed until the following turn.

anthonypants expresses some uneasiness

my rover held up pretty well through last turn's action

next task is to try to destroy the base garrison units. my infantry is all rested up now and they have an advantage in house-to-house (dome-to-dome?) combat, so they'll lead the way. note that in order to offset the Gaian morale penalty due to being pacifist tree huggers i had to add the "trained" upgrade to my units.

battle ogres have very good weapons and armor, especially at this stage of the game, but they really suffer from being non-repairable since once they're discovered people tend to use them to explore and kill mind worms. there are also battle ogres mk2 and mk 3 with the higher tiers of resonance weapons and armor but i've never ever seen them.

i wanted to see how my slightly-damaged rover would fare, and since the odds were good i had the rover attack the second battle ogre

victory! with the Spartan garrison destroyed i can sieze the base. when a unit captures a base it gets fully repaired, so i had my rover move in.

another achievement for the monument. the Spartan conquest referenced in the text is them capturing and destroying my sea base Memory of Joists. justice and vengeance!

the downside of war is that lots of people die and poo poo gets blown up. War Outpost is down two pops from when I arrived, the Children's Creche and Recycling Tanks have been destroyed, and a drone riot is imminent. a base rename is in order, so that we never forget these sobering realities.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

in other news, i'm starting to suffer from the effects of having too many bases. after a certain number of bases (which is determined by your society's efficiency rating) every new base adds a drone at a random existing base. one way to get around this as the Gaians is to switch to a democratic + green society, which is much more efficient than my current democratic + planned model.

i switched my secret project to the Citizen's Defense Force, which gives free perimeter defenses at every base for a +100% defensive bonus -- i think this is one of the better projects at this stage of the game. also i built my first supply crawler! :toot:

since no one else has bases near the Jungle, i've essentially doubled my faction territorial claim, which is good for number.

in the east, i've founded a new sea base. hopefully this goes better than last time.

in the west, a Spartan laser foil is blockading Bohemian Grove, and the reduced energy income has caused a drone riot.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shark rear end Sound

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Love the updates Glorg, I was surprised nobody was going to contest Sparta's move into the jungle (and that Sparta didn't churn out more bases there to be honest).

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i just noticed that since my forest expanded into a square adjacent to the fungal tower in the crater (replacing the fungus that was there), i've totally accidentally removed its ability to send mind worms at me.

PittTheElder posted:

Love the updates Glorg, I was surprised nobody was going to contest Sparta's move into the jungle (and that Sparta didn't churn out more bases there to be honest).

i'm trying to figure out a way to maintain the jungle as a common for the benefit of all most. i don't think i have the psych capacity to have lots of bases in it without burdening my existing bases with drones.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

the spartans are on probably the largest continent and are only sharing it with the believers who haven't been anywhere near as aggressive to expand. so anthonypants has pretty much had their run of the entire place

also yeah wicked updates glorg

e: spartan response

https://twitter.com/anthonypants/status/1197000204651659265

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Nov 20, 2019

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

:lol: Luigi30

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I’ve been stuck turtling so Zakharov is way behind :(

hoping to catch up now that I can build for growth and not defense

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

pro name strat right there

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
yo gaians, did you destroy my dune buggy?

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

yo gaians, did you destroy my dune buggy?

no, my only units on that continent are in the northern part of the jungle

in any case such an unprovoked action would be contrary to Gaian pacifist ideals

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Glorgnole posted:

no, my only units on that continent are in the northern part of the jungle

in any case such an unprovoked action would be contrary to Gaian pacifist ideals

I couldn't remember if I moved it or not. it's my oldest unit, it's been doing donuts all over that continent the whole game

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I couldn't remember if I moved it or not. it's my oldest unit, it's been doing donuts all over that continent the whole game

hell yeah

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Glorgnole posted:

in the game’s canon the Gaians beat the absolute poo poo out of the Spartans :thunk:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

"We are one with Planet and abhor violence in all forms. Also it wasn't us, the worms did it!"

- Lady Deirdre, Gaia's Children

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I found my dune buggy, it was driving around what is now a gaian base

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pile Of Garbage posted:

"We are one with Planet and abhor violence in all forms. Also it wasn't us, the worms did it!"

- Lady Deirdre, Gaia's Children

reminder: releasing mind worms at the edge of your neighbor’s territory isn’t an act of war!

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I found my dune buggy, it was driving around what is now a gaian base

PIRATE CAR V1

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Glorgnole posted:

PIRATE CAR V1

lol, i very much approve of the new name for Monsoon Jungle!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVK2rObP14w

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

the view from Peace Outpost at the edge of the jungle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgosh-nqzro

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

haven't put enough into psych so getting drone riots again lol. at least this time i have enough surplus resources to sub in a talent and prevent full shutdown

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 15, 2019

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

YO where the save at?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ok problem solved! also latest save is:

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

the view from Peace Outpost at the edge of the jungle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgosh-nqzro

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

something a little spooky is going on in the Believers' neck of the woods

meanwhile, i think i'm currently at least tied with the Spartans for supply crawlers

Glorgnole fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Dec 21, 2019

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

also i'm not sure when the sunspot activity is supposed to let up. i think it's a 20-turn event, but i also think it's been 20-ish turns already, so i'm hopeful that it'll end soon.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

it's MY 2205 and the sunspot activity is still going! in news i've stood up my sixth base: Hidden Darts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-JBxexthMQ

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

yo, where dat save at?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Ah gently caress I have it lol

I’ll do it after work

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

Ah gently caress I have it lol

I’ll do it after work

all good cheers! just played my turn, sunspot activity is still blocking inter-faction comms wtf! must be at least 15 turns since it started

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

the year is 2207 and sunspot activity is finally(!) over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
next turn will my be my third pirate base, but I wont screenshot reveal the location

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0U6Ol-38Tw