Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah it’s not “knockoff” its straight up stolen assets, but osu_matthew always has an excuse to justify his behavior from trespassing in national parks to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I want just that Margaret Hamilton piece!

It's one of my favorite photos.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I know I keep popping in to say “those LEGO’s are cool” but that women of NASA display absolutely rules and I’m going to buy it.

Inzombiac posted:

I want just that Margaret Hamilton piece!

It's one of my favorite photos.

:same:

Edit: how are 3rd party amazon sellers for LEGO stuff? Can it be sketchy knockoffs? If yeah where should I order it from?

Rolo has a new favorite as of 19:57 on Nov 27, 2019

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

djfooboo posted:

Who is your Lepin dealer? I have been wary of the Ali express stuff since I’ve never done it.

AliExpress is the biggest retailer in the world and has great customer protection. As long as you order from a listing that has plenty of previous sales and reviews you'll be fine. If your item doesn't arrive or is significantly different from what you ordered you can file a dispute and get a refund.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I bought a Lepin Green Grocer set off Ali a couple years ago and was pretty impressed with what I got for the price. I’d feel a bit guilty buying a knock off of a set that I could order for MSRP from Lego’s site but I don’t feel the least bit bad buying a knockoff of an out of print set that costs 10x MSRP on the secondary market. Especially Green Grocer since the sand green bricks it uses are in very few sets and stupidly expensive.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

djfooboo posted:

Who is your Lepin dealer? I have been wary of the Ali express stuff since I’ve never done it.

I’m pretty wary of Ali too, last year I bought a defective 3d printer off there and the whole resolution process was pretty lovely, even worse than ebay. From everything I’m reading it can work out well, but apparently it’s nightmarish and there’s a whole process of vetting and buying to make sure you don’t get knockoff lepin knockoffs or scammed by non existent inventory. I’ll probably wind up buying something from there or lepinland.com at some point, but for now that’s my last resort.

The two best bets that I’ve found so far are Jeremywhatsup.com and yourwobb.com. The sellers are super responsive, and I’ve ordered several things from both places based on their reputation and general feedback. It’ll be several weeks before I can fully vouch for either, but my experience thus far has been great, and both take PayPal so I feel better insured by that.

For local US stock and quick shipping, brickbuilder.us is great, I just received stuff from there today that I ordered only a few days ago, but their inventory is a bit more limited. I hate to say it, but there’s also a few reddit subs that have been pretty helpful, r/lepin and r/brickswap. I just received a few sets that I ordered a few days ago from people on brickswap, so that has worked out pretty great so far.

Also, the legit LEGO Saturn V was wholly worth every penny, and it’s on sale right at Amazon & Walmart.

Hope this helps!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Mister Speaker posted:

Denmark.

Ordered a bouquet of roses delivered to my Mom on her birthday. Also speaking of the Lego NASA stuff (and birthdays) I ordered this set for a lady I'm kind of crazy about for her b-day:

Do gifts count ITT? W/E. If not, I'll probably treat myself to some camera gear and drugs later on tonight.

This is rad as hell! Just needs a Grace Hopper figurine and a few others for completeness

E:

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah it’s not “knockoff” its straight up stolen assets, but osu_matthew always has an excuse to justify his behavior from trespassing in national parks to this.

Didn’t know I had my very own internet fan club... I feel kinda special now :3:

Catatron Prime has a new favorite as of 21:23 on Nov 27, 2019

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I bought Thanksgiving.

Will assemble tomorrow and post pics.

vvv Am assuming you are making fun of Thanksgiving and aww. :(

Aramek has a new favorite as of 23:09 on Nov 27, 2019

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

nm

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

This is the right answer for budget bluetooth earbuds. I'm no judge of sound quality, but I know they are built better than most Chinese knockoffs. The few sets I've had outlasted everything else I tried.
Would you guys recommend this one for $33 which is their cheapest one: https://www.amazon.com/Soundcore-Bluetooth-Headphones-Noise-Canceling-Sweatproof/dp/B07MCGZK3B/

Or this one for $55? https://www.amazon.com/Soundcore-Wireless-Microphones-Reduction-Waterproof/dp/B07SJR6HL3/ I feel like if you're going to get earbuds with stems, you may as well just get AirPod Pro (knockoffs).

edit: v I suppose I could just buy both and try them out.

Josh Lyman has a new favorite as of 23:19 on Nov 27, 2019

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Josh Lyman posted:

Would you guys recommend this one for $33 which is their cheapest one: https://www.amazon.com/Soundcore-Bluetooth-Headphones-Noise-Canceling-Sweatproof/dp/B07MCGZK3B/

Or this one for $55? https://www.amazon.com/Soundcore-Wireless-Microphones-Reduction-Waterproof/dp/B07SJR6HL3/ I feel like if you're going to get earbuds with stems, you may as well just get AirPod Pro (knockoffs).

I have been using the first set you linked for a couple of months now. They work pretty well but I sometimes have issues with them not being super-secure in my ears during workouts. It's probably because the heavy driver portion sits on top. Also, sometimes one bud goes every so slightly out of sync with the other one, at which point I have to turn them both off and turn them back on.
Other than that, no complaints. They work well and have decent battery life.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Josh Lyman posted:

edit: v I suppose I could just buy both and try them out.

I'd pony up the extra $20ish to eliminate one more USB micro-B device.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
What would it be about the second pair that makes them “not for iPhone 11 series”?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

What would it be about the second pair that makes them “not for iPhone 11 series”?

quote:

Answer: Our headset can be used with the iPhone 11, but the current iPhone 11 system has compatibility issues with the latest chips we use, and the possibility of Bluetooth disconnection or headset reboot during a call is 1/100. The current system optimization software based on iPhone 11 estimates that the time to completely solve the problem is December.

some kinda bluetooth funkiness that only applies to calls

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Bottom Liner posted:

I can't tell if this is a sincere post or not. Are Lego corporate white knights a thing!?

All in all I'm glad someone is defending the poor defenseless multinational corporation that sells grossly overpriced plastic bits from you gross grubby goons!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

KingSlime posted:

I can't tell if this is a sincere post or not. Are Lego corporate white knights a thing!?

All in all I'm glad someone is defending the poor defenseless multinational corporation that sells grossly overpriced plastic bits from you gross grubby goons!

Yeah, I think it unfortunately is. The sad thing is, being able to afford and put together bulk knockoff sets got me excited enough to pick up legos for the first time in twenty years and buy several actual on brand legos too lol. But I guess I don’t pass the fanboy purity test since I mix my megablocks in with the real thing :ohdear:

I hate to even talk about it, but I think I finally remembered what “trespassing in a national park” means, I think he’s talking about me hiking down a well defined trail to get a picture of the River Styx Spring outside of Mammoth Cave last year:

Which is the same drat shot as the second picture on google lol

I can’t believe this is my life now, and that someone is so hot and bothered by it that they’re still fuming 18 months later :ms:

Anyways, for content I bought a buncha Fondu stuff at Aldi tonight, and it was pretty tasty... never had it before and now I finally understand the hype!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If well defined trail means a closed trail with tape and signs everywhere saying “do not cross” and “no trespassing” to which you replied something along the lines of “I’m not damaging the trails or anything who cares” and “still fuming” means I remember your dumb posts from another thread sure.

Lego don’t need anyone white knighting them but aliexpress is really harmful to a ton of small and independent businesses for this exact reason.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Bottom Liner posted:

If well defined trail means a closed trail with tape and signs everywhere saying “do not cross” and “no trespassing” to which you replied something along the lines of “I’m not damaging the trails or anything who cares” and “still fuming” means I remember your dumb posts from another thread sure.

Lego don’t need anyone white knighting them but aliexpress is really harmful to a ton of small and independent businesses for this exact reason.

Cool brah. I just feel special knowing that other people out there care about me :)

While we’re tallying up my sins though, don’t forget to add graverobbing to the list:

Bought the gf a mummy bead necklace from mini museum and a 15 days of cat socks advent caldendar for the holidays:

Catatron Prime has a new favorite as of 04:02 on Nov 30, 2019

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just bought an LG 65" C9. The TV in my room went out this last weekend and I'm going nuts having to watch in my living room so figured I'd just buy something new for the living room and stick my old 55" LG in my room. I can't wait! Also can't wait for it to go on sale Monday for like half off or something and start kicking myself.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

Just bought an LG 65" C9. The TV in my room went out this last weekend and I'm going nuts having to watch in my living room so figured I'd just buy something new for the living room and stick my old 55" LG in my room. I can't wait! Also can't wait for it to go on sale Monday for like half off or something and start kicking myself.

Sounds like you use the bedroom TV way more, why not put the new TV in there?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Been thinking about doing that, but I think it'll stick out over the wall I currently have it on, which means I'll have to rearrange my room and...:effort:

I'm gonna measure everything when I get home and see what exactly I'm gonna do. It's not coming until next week so I got time to do whatever.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Just got back from Lowe's with my one black Friday purchase.

25% off was too good to pass up. Good artificial trees are so much more expensive than I thought they'd be. This one looks a lot nicer close up than most of the others I saw. It looks a little sparse at the bottom cause I haven't spread the branches out properly yet. Jappy there loves it too. He's already been rolling around underneath it and rubbing against the branches.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mostly blue and green lights. A good tree.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

25% off was too good to pass up. Good artificial trees are so much more expensive than I thought they'd be. This one looks a lot nicer close up than most of the others I saw. It looks a little sparse at the bottom cause I haven't spread the branches out properly yet. Jappy there loves it too. He's already been rolling around underneath it and rubbing against the branches.

That looks great! Are the lights permanently attached to the tree, and if so how do you like that vs stands?

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

OSU_Matthew posted:

That looks great! Are the lights permanently attached to the tree, and if so how do you like that vs stands?

Lights and wires are built in to the tree. There's 3 sections and where they attach is also a socket for the lights on the next piece. No dangling wires to attach. It's a really clever design. There's a little foot switch for power and cycling through the modes for the lights. It does the solid colors, plain white, blinking, fading or pretty much any combo you could want. I like the plain old solid colored mode though.

I've never had a real tree before in my own home. We just bought a real house this past spring. No room for a full size tree in the pre-fab we had before. Remembering having the real ones in our home when I was a kid I wouldn't want the hassle. They look and smell nice but they're a mess. You have to haul it home every year and then dispose of it. They're a potential fire hazard that can contain critters too, not to mention the waste of resources involved in growing them.

I figure the artificial one is pretty much a one time purchase. This one is made well and LED lamps last pretty much forever. After Xmas I'll drag it into a crawl space and forget about it till next year.

I spread the branches out a little bit and it looks a lot nicer. Should have waited till I did that before I posted the first pic.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Your Siamese cat is named Jappy?

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Josh Lyman posted:

Your Siamese cat is named Jappy?

His name was Jasper when we got him but Jappy was more fun to say so we call him that now mostly. He's also known by Japper, Flapper, Jip-Jap, Flippity-Flap, Flapper and Tall Mouse cause he looks like a mouse but tall. I know what you're thinking but no, I've never put round glasses and a rice paddy hat on him. Enjoy a photo of him with our other meezer, Gumbo.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Post them in the cat thread in PYF

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Mu Zeta posted:

Post them in the cat thread in PYF

I have, many times. Figured I'd include a photo while I was explaining my understandably questionable choice in cat names. Not mad but of all derails why in the world is my unsolicited cat photo the one that someone felt the need to nip in the bud immediately? I'm always happy when I scroll down and find surprise cats in any thread.

Anyhow, back to topical content. These beauties arrived today.

I'm big on safety and realized that I only had one fire extinguisher. It came with the house, it's in the basement and it's 35 years old. There should be at least one on each level of your home. At the VERY least one in the kitchen. I feel a lot safer knowing I have a chance of saving my family and my home if a fire breaks out.

Here's my public service announcement for today. In the event of a fire remember the P.A.S.S. acronym. Pull, Aim, Squeeze, Sweep. Pull the pin on the extinguisher, Aim the nozzle at the base of the fire, Squeeze the handle, Sweep the stream from side to side. If it's still burning after that, remember the G.T.F.O acronym and get the gently caress out of there :supaburn:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Here's my public service announcement for today. In the event of a fire remember the P.A.S.S. acronym. Pull, Aim, Squeeze, Sweep. Pull the pin on the extinguisher, Aim the nozzle at the base of the fire, Squeeze the handle, Sweep the stream from side to side. If it's still burning after that, remember the G.T.F.O acronym and get the gently caress out of there :supaburn:

And remember, none of those words are "Stop." Once you start, exhaust the extinguisher - you're not putting it back half charged. Just keep going.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Homebrewing, cool.

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico

H110Hawk posted:

And remember, none of those words are "Stop." Once you start, exhaust the extinguisher - you're not putting it back half charged. Just keep going.

Extra tip - the zip tie holding the pin in is hard to break if you just yank, it pops off if you just turn the key.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

Yeah and then you turn around and there's another fire just there :rip:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I'm big on safety and realized that I only had one fire extinguisher. It came with the house, it's in the basement and it's 35 years old. There should be at least one on each level of your home. At the VERY least one in the kitchen. I feel a lot safer knowing I have a chance of saving my family and my home if a fire breaks out.

This is a great buy... reminds me I need to get another nest protect for upstairs after the old smoke detector died without notice. It’s so easy to put off the actually important stuff

Also fire blankets are a nice extra as well, and they have no expiration date :)

:3:

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

I hate money, how about you?

LG C9 Series 77" OLED 4K (2160p) UHD Smart TV with AI ThinQ & HDR (2019 Model)

Bose Soundbar 700 + Subwoofer

The guy threw in these:

$500 in store gift card, because, gently caress, why not incentivize me to lose more money?

Now for my actual holiday shopping...:cry:

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

norton I posted:

Extra tip - the zip tie holding the pin in is hard to break if you just yank, it pops off if you just turn the key.

Extra extra tip. Take the dang zip tie off when you figure out where you want to keep it. No need to screw around removing a zip tie in case you need to use it NOW

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My brother was showing off his Oculus setup and I hosed up by trying it and liking it a lot. Got a little unexpected bonus from work and sales are on soooo.

Also a SSD, some ram, a PSU and some thermal goo.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Really like that case, nice choice

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hope that's a Ryzen 2000 because the mobo might not be compatible out of the box with a 3600.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?