Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Norman Reedus was in Boondock Saints? I saw that movie way too many times in my misguided youth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Cardiovorax posted:

I think he's supposed to be Hispanic. That cult his parents belong to is European-derived and I think said to have had a strong presence in Spain, but that might be me misremembering.

They hosed up then because he looked and sounded whiter than a barn yard dance

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

My issue is that I like the 2nd game design, but that isn't the 1st game guy - and that I can easily see a 2nd game guy design for Ethan of the 1st game. They just didn't quite nail it.

I mean, just give it the old horror movie mentality. #1 is great. #2 is direct to video with a mysteriously high budget and totally different crew and cast. Becomes cult classic.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

al-azad posted:

It’s Norman Reedus in Boondock Saints vs. Norman Reedus in Walking Dead.
That's an amusingly apt comparison. I never realized those two characters were actually the same actor. Well, there's also like 20 years between them, but still.

dogstile posted:

They hosed up then because he looked and sounded whiter than a barn yard dance
Hispanic people come in a lot of complexions, in my experience, but I've also met blonde, blue eyed Turks straight out of Anatolia, so who knows even.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zushio posted:

Norman Reedus was in Boondock Saints? I saw that movie way too many times in my misguided youth.

Exactly. His transformation from 20th century Reedus to 21st century I've-looked-into-a-solar-eclipse-while-taking-a-shower Reedus is so dramatic you've forgotten he was one of the two leads.

e: See also Matthew McConaughey for a just-got-out-of-the-pool-glaring-at-the-sun transformation.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 27, 2019

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I've attributed the main character's look in Condemned 2 to a general attempt to make him look like a really buff junkie. He's not meant to be coded as more white, so much as pale, IMO

Zushio
May 8, 2008
It was also during my "Too Cool To Know Who Any Actor Was" phase. As I said, misguided youth.

It is crazy though. I'm usually at least good at recognizing actors I've seen before even if I don't know who they are, but even looking at pictures right now it's almost hard to see.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I always figured Condemned 1 Ethan was supposed to look like Greg Grunberg, the guy who played him

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

I always figured Condemned 1 Ethan was supposed to look like Greg Grunberg, the guy who played him

yeah 99% likely this

EDIT: I guess to complete that thought, I felt like a lot of games then just used the developers/actors as model bases a lot

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Wait he's 53? What the gently caress

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

dogstile posted:

Wait he's 53? What the gently caress

Yeah it's weird

It does make me like the idea of a plot point of "Ok, you get to stay in your prime for much much longer, but you'll grow more monstrous instead of old as you age"

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
They call that novel "The picture of Dorian Gray."

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

yeah, it doesn't get used often enough as a concept, it rules

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Black August posted:

Coming soon, the newest hit horror title, 'The Darkness FUCKS', in which you are a specialized matchmaker for horrifying entities who just need some downtime to recuperate and want to date before their next big job and death spree

Zushio posted:

I forgot about The Darkness actually. I really enjoyed both those. Loved all the sinister whispering in your ear.

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, the Darkness games are surprisingly good for how little they're remembered today.

The Darkness is always another example I like for why having sorta B-tier middle shelf games ruled, vidya much of the time nowadays feels very starkly divided between quadrillion dollar AAA mega studio blockbuster marketing blowout budgets and shoestring somehow more stable and innovative than AAA while being built with breadsticks and glue indie budgets, I miss a lot of those OG Xbox/360/PS2/PS3 middle of the road 'budget' feeling games from studios that had creative people making something cool, but who also got given at least a little bit of walking around money to polish the game up with too.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Condemned 2 had a much better investigation system, at the cost of basically every other potentially good feature in the game. Just...the secondary character changes alone...and the writing...It really makes it seem that Condemned 1 was a great horror game as a function of chance, rather than design.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I'm still waiting for that Vetigo Era Hellblazer game that I imagined in a fever dream tbh. We got The Darkness and XIII of all things.

Edit: So help me God if one of you posts the Constantine starring Keanu Reeves PS2 Adaptation.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Speaking of investigative horror, The Painscreek Killings was really drat good and doesn't get enough love. Just atmospheric as hell as you try to piece together what exactly happened to this town.

Could have done without the awkward chase sequence ending, but eh

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

al-azad posted:

Exactly. His transformation from 20th century Reedus to 21st century I've-looked-into-a-solar-eclipse-while-taking-a-shower Reedus is so dramatic you've forgotten he was one of the two leads.

e: See also Matthew McConaughey for a just-got-out-of-the-pool-glaring-at-the-sun transformation.

I forgot he was even in Boondock Saints, partially because I forgot every actor except Willem Dafoe. I was under the impression that Norman Reedus sort of appeared out of the ground for the Walking Dead casting.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

DeathChicken posted:

Speaking of investigative horror, The Painscreek Killings was really drat good and doesn't get enough love. Just atmospheric as hell as you try to piece together what exactly happened to this town.

Could have done without the awkward chase sequence ending, but eh

Yeah the ending would've been better if it was, I dunno, more low-key?

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Evil Within 2 is the best horror/action balance in a game, followed by Dead Space 2, and then Dying Light but only up until the point where you get the skill to sidestep and shove zombies like they're nothing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If you play only during the day, Dying Light basically isn't scary at all at any point. Fair warning. It's like playing your standard Ubisoft stab'n'climb game, but instead of pedestrians you have wimpy zombies.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
What annoyed me about Dying Light was that zombies took far too long to kill. I know, if they go down too easily then you can just mow through them, removing much of the purpose of parkouring everywhere. Except that the zombies were just tedious, not scary. A horde of them was terrifying, sure, but you'd come across a single one and would have to bang on its head for a good five minutes until it died. Later you get a move where you can just stomp on its head if it's downed, which helps immensely, but I feel like the threat of zombies should be in their numbers, and one shouldn't be a pain in the rear end to take down while equipped with a hammer that can cave in skulls.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That was only super early game. You get pretty good zombie murdering tools a couple hours in, which i liked.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

When I played the game, it felt like you get stronger a lot faster than zombies do, so most fights turn into exactly the kind of curbstomp you want a fight against a zombie horde to be, barring the occasional special infected. Those seem weirdly rare at the current patch, in my latest game (which is like 15 hours in) it seems I haven't seen even one yet.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Morpheus posted:

What annoyed me about Dying Light was that zombies took far too long to kill. I know, if they go down too easily then you can just mow through them, removing much of the purpose of parkouring everywhere. Except that the zombies were just tedious, not scary. A horde of them was terrifying, sure, but you'd come across a single one and would have to bang on its head for a good five minutes until it died. Later you get a move where you can just stomp on its head if it's downed, which helps immensely, but I feel like the threat of zombies should be in their numbers, and one shouldn't be a pain in the rear end to take down while equipped with a hammer that can cave in skulls.
It is true that the combat eventually loving rules, and you become a ninja death god. But the real problem for wearing you down is if the incredibly brazen "gently caress it, pull more zombies out of our rear end" spawning whenever you stopped to do anything rather than ninja run around the place.

It wasn't watching zombies phase through cement 20 feet away from drains. It wasn't killing 12 zombies crawling one at a time out from under a locked van. It wasn't standing atop 30+ dead zombies, leaving for five minutes unpaused, coming back, and all clear for hundreds of feet around only for several zombies to be moaning 10 feet behind me the instant I activate the lockpick minigame.

I was so sure it would be the Nth kamikaze zombie I easily avoided, that passive aggressively killed itself 200 feet away to summon more zombies with a psychic link to my location to further drag out "Interact with thing to complete objective".

But no, it was having zombies so lazily spawned they can't even wait for me to leave their monster closet before rending gameplay a moot point. Not even 30 seconds later and the game resets the fallen door, spawns a new zombie close enough to kiss me, said zombie walks through my body in order to hit it's mark and re-kick the door down to jumpscare the imaginary player outside. That's where I dropped the game 80% of the way through the main plot.

So many people love to talk up"Immersion" or "Tension". But it's amazing how that gets thrown under the bus as swiftly as possible when you say "It really breaks my immersion to have magical teleporting zombies, not even 15 seconds after I've easily killed zombies" Which remove any tension because why fear what is around the corner when all that matters is how sassy the spawn logic is feeling :sigh: Doom 3 gets poo poo on for it's monster closets all the time, so why does Dying Light get a pass for being infinitely worse in that regard?

Which is a loving shame, because again, after the initial hump the on paper gameplay loving rules. So people should totally buy it if they feel interested in "Ninja Man Vs Zombies". Just keep in mind the game can swing heavily from tense to cartoonish if it decides it really doesn't want you to push a button without threat of interruption.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 27, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, for all that it doesn't really present itself that way, Dying Light is fundamentally built like an ARPG, including the prerequisite "loot stuff to loot better stuff to upgrade to the best stuff" mechanics. The spawn mechanics are a bit of a bitch at times, but they can't really not keep throwing more and more trash mobs at you without running the risk that you'll run out of game to play. People are more willing to give it leeway on the basis that it really doesn't pretend that it's anything other than what it is.

Doom 3, on the other hand, was simply bad in a much more straightforward fashion.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, for all that it doesn't really present itself that way, Dying Light is fundamentally built like an ARPG, including the prerequisite "loot stuff to loot better stuff to upgrade to the best stuff" mechanics. The spawn mechanics are a bit of a bitch at times, but they can't really not keep throwing more and more trash mobs at you without running the risk that you'll run out of game to play. People are more willing to give it leeway on the basis that it really doesn't pretend that it's anything other than what it is.

Doom 3, on the other hand, was simply bad in a much more straightforward fashion.

I mean, there is a vast gulf between "You can't NOT have an endless tide of zombies in a zombie apocalypse." And "You have engaged the gameplay of either either sneaking past or killed every zombie between you and Thing You Want. Including the Super Zombies... Better spawn in some extra zombies next to the player once they try to interact with their goal, they were probably about to get bored from a lack of zombies."

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That's true, but I also have to say, to me it doesn't feel nearly as overbearing as you describe it when I play the game. I often have long stretches where I feel like I actively need to seek out zombies to hack to bits. Your mobility makes engaging with anything short of a special infected sort of... well, optional? Dunno if it's something I'm just doing very different from the way you play the game, but I might be, so I can't really think of any other way to answer the question.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Discendo Vox posted:

Condemned 2 had a much better investigation system, at the cost of basically every other potentially good feature in the game. Just...the secondary character changes alone...and the writing...It really makes it seem that Condemned 1 was a great horror game as a function of chance, rather than design.

The change to Rosa's design...

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

That's true, but I also have to say, to me it doesn't feel nearly as overbearing as you describe it when I play the game. I often have long stretches where I feel like I actively need to seek out zombies to hack to bits. Your mobility makes engaging with anything short of a special infected sort of... well, optional? Dunno if it's something I'm just doing very different from the way you play the game, but I might be, so I can't really think of any other way to answer the question.
I expect I was just incredibly unlucky in seeing it rubbed in my face so much, from how the subject is usually met with "Well, I NEVER noticed it get THAT bad"

Like the above example of single zombie monster closest shacks being in such a rush to poo poo out more zombies. The realm of "Maybe I'm just paying too close attention and should let it slide more?" is left behind once zombies start spawning via no-clipping through your own body in their rush to hit their scripting mark, after you dealt with their identical twin going through the same motions 20 seconds ago.

It probably didn't help that I blamed myself for "Not playing cautiously enough" earlier in. So it stood out even more when running or sneaking past zombies made that sort of thing keep cropping anyways up be it out in the wild, or blunt as a brick scripting while interacting with the last lock between me and a quest objective.

EDIT: Again "Don't go looking for fights!" was never the issue. Who is looking for a fight in a tiny shack with a single dead zombie inside it? Who is looking for a fight when they solid snake past trash mobs only for more to spawn directly behind you once you start to work on the lock between you and the quest objective? If anything, my buying into "You're not supposed to fight zombies anyways!" just increased the pace of seeing wacky spawns, because I wasn't stopping to fight things often enough to space them out anymore.

The fact I was able able to easily deal with it, probably looped around to making it worse? If I was dying more, I probably wouldn't have noticed them back to back so often.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 27, 2019

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Dying Light is boring if you go out looking for fights. The real intended play is pursuing some other goal and treating the zombies as a complication to that goal. Making runs for supplies at night, etc.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Section Z posted:

I expect I was just incredibly unlucky in seeing it rubbed in my face so much, from how the subject is usually met with "Well, I NEVER noticed it get THAT bad"
I imagine that would play into it. Even if my own experience was as anything as extreme as yours, the spawn mechanics of Dying Light aren't remotely near as smooth and precise as, say, Left4Dead's. A bad run and bad luck at just the wrong time can make the whole thing really frustrating.

I suppose if you ever pick it back up, the best recommendation I can give is to engage with and kick zombie rear end whenever you please, play under the assumption that there will always be zombies around and that you can't really clear an area, and that the Rooftop Highway is pretty much your personal safe space and next to nothing can actually follow you there. Dying Light can be a really enjoyable experience, but to some degree you just have to be willing to take it on its own terms, I guess. If that doesn't click for you, then that's just that, no blame in it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

I imagine that would play into it. Even if my own experience was as anything as extreme as yours, the spawn mechanics of Dying Light aren't remotely near as smooth and precise as, say, Left4Dead's. A bad run and bad luck at just the wrong time can make the whole thing really frustrating.

I suppose if you ever pick it back up, the best recommendation I can give is to engage with and kick zombie rear end whenever you please, play under the assumption that there will always be zombies around and that you can't really clear an area, and that the Rooftop Highway is pretty much your personal safe space and next to nothing can actually follow you there. Dying Light can be a really enjoyable experience, but to some degree you just have to be willing to take it on its own terms, I guess. If that doesn't click for you, then that's just that, no blame in it.

I guess part of why I get so stuck on it, is because it's the singular bad thing I remember about the gameplay.

I don't remember any other problems except the same "Does combat suck? Oh it just takes a while to get rolling" as everybody else.

This is why in spite of my gripes with that aspect, I still think it is definitely a game worth playing for most. It is probably about time to dust it off soon (and the expansion I own but never tried), yeah.

Because up until that moment of burnout? One of the biggest things that stood out to me was how in spite of the fanbase loving to go "You're not SUPPOSED to fight zombies!" like every zombie game under the sun. Fight OR Flight is much more honest choice, compared to it's peers. Rather than a code phrase for "Combat sucks, but it sucks on purpose."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 27, 2019

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

Dying Light is boring

:hai:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Section Z posted:

in spite of the fanbase loving to go "You're not SUPPOSED to fight zombies!"
I have no idea what stupid-rear end segment of the fanbase would even say that, anyway. With a wide variety of stylish melee weapons and a line-up of quasi-wrestling special moves to round off the experience, it's pretty obvious that getting close up and personal to some zombie rear end is exactly what you're supposed to do.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There's certainly an argument to be said for Metal Gear Solid or Hitman, two games about being stealthy that give you more lethal weapons than most dedicated first person shooters, but no c'mon you're supposed to squash zombie heads!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

I have no idea what stupid-rear end segment of the fanbase would even say that, anyway. With a wide variety of stylish melee weapons and a line-up of quasi-wrestling special moves to round off the experience, it's pretty obvious that getting close up and personal to some zombie rear end is exactly what you're supposed to do.

Something about "Survival" gamers, I guess. You can have a game with a sweet as gently caress robot suit that can drill hands giant monstrosities to death normally capable of swallowing you whole, and they will still go on about "You're not SUPPOSED to fight!" and then get angry if you ask for a wooden spear to close the gap between "Knife" and "Gravity gun firing farm raised kamikaze wildlife."

al-azad posted:

There's certainly an argument to be said for Metal Gear Solid or Hitman, two games about being stealthy that give you more lethal weapons than most dedicated first person shooters, but no c'mon you're supposed to squash zombie heads!
Yeah. Agency makes me more willing to engage in the Non-combat elements (though that's very opinion land stuff). So in a game like MGS or Hitman the fact I COULD just murder everything easily, makes me more prone to be the careful sneaky boy. Even more recent Death Stranding I still sneak like a good boy for the most part even once I've loaded up with enough toys to just gun down everything living and dead. "I have a highly specialized sci-fi guns and hand grenades just for this occasion!" *equips hiking rope for silent takedown*

For another extreme, RE2. Where you COULD kill everything in the police station, but don't have to. But going all in on avoiding combat is how I got watch people I know suffer from every backtracking bite over "We can't waste ammo! We're supposed to avoid zombies!" :v: It's also entertaining to get to know that last lingering zombie in a room that's just so ineffectual you can't be bothered to kill them like all their friends.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 27, 2019

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I’d like to see a survival game that doesn’t do the obnoxious meters and spinning plates, and instead simply gives you objectives of what will give you longterm survival, a clear picture of consequences, and then simply grades you based on a period of time (daily/weekly/monthly) to see how ‘well’ your survival work went with resources gathered/used, giving bonuses and penalties for the next cycle, with enough bad cycles seeing you killed or other failstate. Instead of water meter instantly killing you at low level or whatever. More incentive to explore and take risks to balance out resource issues and shoot for a better grade.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Black August posted:

I’d like to see a survival game that doesn’t do the obnoxious meters and spinning plates, and instead simply gives you objectives of what will give you longterm survival, a clear picture of consequences, and then simply grades you based on a period of time (daily/weekly/monthly) to see how ‘well’ your survival work went with resources gathered/used, giving bonuses and penalties for the next cycle, with enough bad cycles seeing you killed or other failstate. Instead of water meter instantly killing you at low level or whatever. More incentive to explore and take risks to balance out resource issues and shoot for a better grade.

... Holy poo poo. That's basically the plot of Fallout 1 in a longer form, isn't it?

"We're going to run out of clean water. Go out and source more survival supplies for our survival shanty. Take these water flasks with you that you might drink from all of five times the entire game"

So like, extend that to "Great, water chip is sorted. Now onto the air scrubbers" and more of an emphasis on the exploration than "Watch me shoot this giant scorpion in the eyeballs".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Not really sure that would still count as a survival sim anymore. The idea that you need to provide your basic requirements for life or cease to live is kind of essential. I don't think I could really care about beeing abstractly graded for my "success" at surviving instead of it being an immediate matter of life and death.

quote:

... Holy poo poo. That's basically the plot of Fallout 1 in a longer form, isn't it?
Well, it is if you treat the arc goal of the first third of the game as the entire plot of the game.