Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The wild area is the best post game in a pokemon game i've played

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Since Snorlax G-Maxes in to Delta Snorlax I assume this means Pokemon Insurgence is now canon.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

mateo360 posted:

so technically I was right :v:

I don't buy more then one version anymore since gen 3 sine I would end up playing one, neglecting the other and have both didn't do me any good when I only had one console.

We only bought the double pack because we've got three people in the house. Two of us share a Switch and play Sword, and the other is playing Shield. Makes it easier to get version exclusives without having to mess with the internet much,

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
So is there a trick to catching gigatamax pokemon? I tend to use dusk balls on max raids since I'm assuming that counts as a dark area. Is it just throw and pray?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

seiferguy posted:

So is there a trick to catching gigatamax pokemon? I tend to use dusk balls on max raids since I'm assuming that counts as a dark area. Is it just throw and pray?

Every pokeball is functionally identical for catching a raid Pokemon, except for the master ball. Use whatever you like

There's no trick it's just random

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sea Lily posted:

Every pokeball is functionally identical for catching a raid Pokemon, except for the master ball. Use whatever you like

There's no trick it's just random

When/where was this confirmed because it's real dumb if true. :(

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I heard the comp scene wants to ban dynamaxing because it's too random and things might play out differently than normal and I'd really like to hear more reasoning behind it because that sound so wrong and alien to me. Like why would you want everything to play out the exact same and get stale :psyduck:

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Sorry if this has been asked and answered already, but for the spawns in the wild area can you save before encountering and reset if it’s not shiny? Or is the shiny roll determined when it pops up? This would also be useful to know if you accidentally kill a shiny then you can just reset and try to catch it again.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I heard the comp scene wants to ban dynamaxing because it's too random and things might play out differently than normal and I'd really like to hear more reasoning behind it because that sound so wrong and alien to me. Like why would you want everything to play out the exact same and get stale :psyduck:

The argument is that it would centralize the meta around "constantly being worried that the opponent is going to get +4/+4 over 3 turns during which you can't kill the mon, and then you get sweeped". Imo, and with a huge grain of salt since I haven't played comp seriously on showdown since like gen 6 and it was UU, it would centralize the meta around building a team that can one shot everything on the other team -> so you open with the embiggened Mon -> so the match is decided turn one, which is unfun as gently caress. And if dynamax is allowed in any tier it will centralize that tier around it immediately. At least when weather was a huge deal there was multiple ways to play weather.

I will say this is needlessly concerning for folks since there a 100% chance Pokemonshowdown.com will just add a Dynamax Anything Goes ladder and everyone who wants to do it can play it to their hearts content :v:

Edit edit: actually I should just link the Smogon discussion since even with the slap fighting both sides are pretty clear in what they want and why they think their way is going make the most diversity in the meta. Dynamax Discussion

GenericGirlName fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 27, 2019

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

dynamax isnt really mon-agnostic, it benefits a small handful of things way more than a lot of others. you could say "well then ban those" but it becomes a bit of a loop at that point since the mons that really love it - setup sweepers - exist beyond the few who really abuse it currently, there just isn't much reason to use them over gyarados, excadrill, or hawlucha. really the only thing holding the meta together right now is Ditto but it hasn't been very fun to play around. also a meta decided by setup sweepers just isn't that fun in general

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Im pretty on the fence about dynamax. I like setup sweep playstyle so I’m biased towards keeping it, but I get the complaints about a centralized meta.

The in game play allows for non dynamax battles since they are constrained to power spots so from an”lore” perspective im ok with it if smogon bans it.

Obviously Nintendo is gonna keep it for their sanctioned play since its this gens special thing, but I do wonder how that will work if they do a same gen sinnoh remake.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I like the idea of "OU" and "Power Spot OU" myself. :shrug:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kyrosiris posted:

that's the ideal for me too, but they've already split the ladder between OU (with dyna) and another ladder i cant remember the name of that's basically gen 7 + dynamaxing + new mons

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Kyrosiris posted:

:hai:

Things I will be playing this gen:
UU
Every "Other Meta" on Showdown that uses a weird Dyna/Giga gimmick.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Like why would you want everything to play out the exact same and get stale :psyduck:

that's kinda the goal with a lot of the smogon stuff, from my point of view

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Yea Im down for this. Id take that over dynamax being regulated to a non legal format like full dex/mega/zmove.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Licarn posted:

of all the dumb decisions in these games, gmax events are the dumb icing on the dumb cake
lol yeah
I mean, if they were just a "hey, right now we're doing an event to make it possible to catch this shield version exclusive in sword and vice versa" it'd be nice. As it is, "get this snorlax right now because we've arbitrarily decided you can't catch it normally" is dumb as hell and means it'll literally be impossible to catch all the g-max pokemon in the future when this game is no longer supported.

e: i mean, it's no more dumb than mythical pokemon in past gens but those were loving dumb too, so

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Gotta love that event gmaxes are all rare catches instead of the easy normal catches every other raid thing is. :v:

I do love raids for the qol at least, and getting guaranteed shots at high iv wild mons, it's good for that. I personally don't like to dynamax my own pokemon but giant enemy kinglers is great and the raid mechanics are a neat riff on battling.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Breeding two g-max parents should produce g-max offspring.. :colbert:

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Deified Data posted:

This is honestly the first Pokémon campaign I've beaten where I've felt "this needs an enhanced edition ASAP", and it has nothing to do with what Pokémon are or are not in the game.

It feels like it's missing like 50% of its routes, 30% of its trainer battles, and 70% of its dungeons. And sadly I don't even know how an enhanced edition would fix this - might be best to skip right past it into the next remake or a whole new gen.

I had a lot of fun with it but I'm only now seeing a lot of the shortcuts they took now that I've beaten it. I'm starting to wonder how much the inclusion of the wild area actually cost us. While a fun inclusion when taken at face value I wonder if it's not a bigger liability than we think. It's not a suitable replacement for everything that was cut or just didn't get finished.

I'm really happy with the pokemon just showing up on the routes by itself. More than the wild area, I just want a more 'open' game where you can challenge the gym leaders in any order and have a bigger variety of routes you can tackle/pokemon you can catch from the outset.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Borsche69 posted:

More than the wild area, I just want a more 'open' game where you can challenge the gym leaders in any order and have a bigger variety of routes you can tackle/pokemon you can catch from the outset.
Having a more "open" plot structure would mean they can do more of an "open" wild area since there won't be any arbitrary gating on routes anymore. The game is good, but imagine if you could take on gyms in any order an the whole thing was one giant wild area (performance issues aside). Before this I was kinda lukewarm on folks wishing for "Pokemon of the Wild", but now I've played in the wild area I think it's a great idea and would be awesome if the series heads in that direction. Have the starter area, towns, dungeons and league be their own separate instances, but otherwise have the entire game be a wild area. It'd be so cool.

Edit: It could even be set on the same continent as Unova; do a big "Poke-America" region. North America has enough varied geography and is spread out enough that you could make it huge.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

If we moved away from routes and more towards how the wild area worked, that might be pretty nifty actually.
That being said, I'd prefer for the game to have some linearity, because having a sense of progression is good and satisfying in a way that games which let you do anything from the outset lack.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

If we moved away from routes and more towards how the wild area worked, that might be pretty nifty actually.
That being said, I'd prefer for the game to have some linearity, because having a sense of progression is good and satisfying in a way that games which let you do anything from the outset lack.

Progression isn't based on linearity vs non-linearity. Open world games still have a sense of progression in terms of getting better equipment, accomplishing quests and sidequests, growing stronger etc. With pokemon, just something simple like the ability to challenge gyms in any order and a more open route structure wouldn't necessarily stop you from having a sense of progression - you would still get that by defeating gyms and leveling up your pokemon.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Blaziken386 posted:

Yeah I personally don't like open games or see what challenging the gyms in any order would improve. Having linear order means there's the possibility of doing something more interesting with the story and a rising challenge. I'd rather they just apply the design principles of the wild area to the various routes themselves. The actual wild area is kind of boring, and to me personally navigating to raids is extremely frustrating since so many weather effects obscure the stupid lights.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Borsche69 posted:

Progression isn't based on linearity vs non-linearity. Open world games still have a sense of progression in terms of getting better equipment, accomplishing quests and sidequests, growing stronger etc. With pokemon, just something simple like the ability to challenge gyms in any order and a more open route structure wouldn't necessarily stop you from having a sense of progression - you would still get that by defeating gyms and leveling up your pokemon.
IMO games where the overworld levels up with you (ie: the moblins in BotW going from blue > red > black > silver; the equipment drops becoming less lovely over time; etc) is inherently more boring and less replayable than getting access to new areas with new poo poo once you become stronger

the wild area in this game sort of dodged this issue with the level gating, but because you're expected to go to hammerlock right after Kabu, it fell a little bit flat. At the 3 gym mark, you've seen everything the wild area has to offer (aside from the lake of outrage/very tiny islands that get unlocked at gym 7) so you just go back at the end to catch the stronger pokemon, rather than gradual progression.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Besides the lakes in the Wild Area and that one big lake next to the professor's house, is there anywhere else I should explore now that I have the water bike?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

One of the funny things about having so many Ditto on the PS ladder is seeing people discover the hidden mechanic of Ditto not being able to copy Ditto.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Nanigans posted:

Besides the lakes in the Wild Area and that one big lake next to the professor's house, is there anywhere else I should explore now that I have the water bike?

There's a canal in the gym one town irrc

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Hi I hit 1500 on the Random Battles Ladder and will be trying to hit 1600 to be top 10-20ish this week.

Dynamax has an extremely lovely dynamic because there essentially is no chance of meaningful counterplay while Dynamax is going on. For the most part, the doubled hp means nothing will ever actually OHKO a Dynamaxed Pokemon, and every time a Dynamax attacks, it gets stronger due to how the moves inherently work. The "counterplay" to Dynamax lies purely in minimizing your losses while it's going on (switching to a resist when you guess if the opponent will Max Airstream or Max Knuckle), having a plan to KO the buffed pokemon after Dynamax ends, and then winning the game from a disadvantaged position, usually by leveraging your own Dynamax. If you look at random battles right now, it's all setup sweepers. Almost every single pokemon has Bulk Up or Nasty Plot or Swords Dance on it, and of course Random Battles reflects what people are actually winning with on the ladder.

This really isn't an issue with particular pokemon. I've won with Swoobat and Slurpuff about a dozen times now, and also won with lovely slow/medium speed Pokemon with Swords Dance like Perserker after I set up a Sticky Web (Sticky Web is on a lot of Pokemon this gen). Hell, I've swept most of a team with Beheeyem, won with Nasty Plot Lunatone, you name it. The entire meta is setup sweepers and everything can setup and sweep because Dynamax is inherently stupid as a mechanic.

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice
It's been a while since I've played a Pokémon game, but didn't some of the 3ds ones have the option to search for Pokémon you'd like to trade for? I'd like to trade for a nincada instead of trying to get the right weather in the wild area, but the only trade options I see are link trade and surprise trade.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
appletun is such a cute pet

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Flyin Jim Elbows posted:

It's been a while since I've played a Pokémon game, but didn't some of the 3ds ones have the option to search for Pokémon you'd like to trade for? I'd like to trade for a nincada instead of trying to get the right weather in the wild area, but the only trade options I see are link trade and surprise trade.

Yeah sadly this game doesn't have a trade board where you list what you want to trade and provide parameters for what you trade for.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Ultima66 posted:

Dynamax has an extremely lovely dynamic because there essentially is no chance of meaningful counterplay while Dynamax is going on. For the most part, the doubled hp means nothing will ever actually OHKO a Dynamaxed Pokemon, and every time a Dynamax attacks, it gets stronger due to how the moves inherently work. The "counterplay" to Dynamax lies purely in minimizing your losses while it's going on (switching to a resist when you guess if the opponent will Max Airstream or Max Knuckle), having a plan to KO the buffed pokemon after Dynamax ends, and then winning the game from a disadvantaged position, usually by leveraging your own Dynamax. If you look at random battles right now, it's all setup sweepers. Almost every single pokemon has Bulk Up or Nasty Plot or Swords Dance on it, and of course Random Battles reflects what people are actually winning with on the ladder.
Forgive me if this sounds dumb, but I don't play much competitive - because dynamax only lasts 3 turns, shouldn't that mean that wall/stall pokemon should be a viable counter?

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice

seiferguy posted:

Yeah sadly this game doesn't have a trade board where you list what you want to trade and provide parameters for what you trade for.

Well poo poo, guess it's back to changing the system clock and hoping for a sandstorm

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Flyin Jim Elbows posted:

Well poo poo, guess it's back to changing the system clock and hoping for a sandstorm
if you want, I can just give you a nincada. gimme like 15 minutes, and I'll trade you one via link code 0386

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

Forgive me if this sounds dumb, but I don't play much competitive - because dynamax only lasts 3 turns, shouldn't that mean that wall/stall pokemon should be a viable counter?

The argument is that even if the damage is mostly mitigated the attacker still gets lots of buffs which make the battle very lopsided. Also the issue is needing to have a stall for tons of different types since your not hemmed in by needing an item to activate dynamax. A couple different mons setup to dynamax gives a player a lot advantages over stall.

nintendo really should have made dynamax need a wishing piece or something as a held item. I think that would go a long way to helping mitigate the issue.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blaziken386 posted:

Every dynamax poke with decent stats before hand are wall breakers thanks to dmax stat and bp boosts

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Blaziken386 posted:

Even if it did work to stall out the three dynamax turns, the dynamaxed sweeper is still coming out of it with several stages of buffs, mandating either a hazer/pseudo-hazer, or as Ultima said, some sort of plan to blow up the idiot with anywhere from 2-5 extra stages of speed and/or attacking stat.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Blaziken386 posted:

Not really. Dynamaxing shuts down a lot of the tools stall uses to deal with set-up sweepers and every Dynamax move has some kind of buff rider attached to it along with being a powerful move of that type with perfect accuracy and no drawbacks like Fire Blast/Hydro Pump/Close Combat etc have.

Plus they can still have items. There are very, very few Pokemon that can stand up to that kind of super-charged assault for long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice

Blaziken386 posted:

if you want, I can just give you a nincada. gimme like 15 minutes, and I'll trade you one via link code 0386

Awesome yeah that works for me, thanks!