Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017
Star Citizen: the pretend screenshot generator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sarsapariller posted:

It's in, in the sense that you can have multiple people sitting in a ship. They can't do anything, of course, because none of that was ever implemented. They can sit in your turrets and fire the tiny turret guns.

Conveniently, this new ship has a bunch of mining turrets!

Ahhh, I get it now. That's what's with the current crop of straight-to-playable ships - they know what they can ACTUALLY do now, so they're making and releasing stuff that is actually functional. Pretty amazing that the backers are willing to put up the cash for them instead of getting mad about the older concept ships just rotting away, but that's cult mentality for you.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

It seems a commentary on why not to sell spaceships before you have a game.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

It seems a commentary on why not to sell spaceships before you have a game.

Seems to be going real loving well for them, actually. Or, more specifically, for Chris' vacation fund.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The original scope of Star Citizen was perfectly viable. The game was heavily instanced, with each interaction between players confined to a limited (and temporary) zone that was spun up on a server as needed. Imagine every interaction equivalent to something like Arena Commander. You come in, you fight, you interact, you leave. When you leave the instance dies, stuff inside sits on a timer on some server, and then eventually it simply ceases to be. The end result would have been something really cool, since the game could have been crafted to make every instance an interesting vignette which emphasized the supposed Space Opera nature of the game. We had even gotten excited about the possibility of Capital Ship combat being something complete new, with cap ships never occupying the same space but instead fighting at ranges of thousands of kilometers with real delays between shots. That might have been (more) wishful thinking though; as we're well aware CIG was spinning whatever they wanted. At least it had the advantage of actually being viable.

This could actually still work, but they've gone another level of stupid in terms of scaling out to microservices that do the streaming to containers, the major problem being that this introduces the network layer into the 'instance' that you describe. Occasionally containers just die, or fail to initiate. Their 'meshing' describes the n*n connections between services that are short-lived, which works really well with agents on local networks, but it starts to completely fall down when you require low latency. It's one of the reasons for the popin as the objects stream without a coherent LoD model.

Ultimately he's hoist by the 'fidelity' petard as there is nothing realistic about pretending WWII fighters in space. Children of a Dead Earth has some of the most realistic physics for fighting in space, but it's a bit of a snooze-fest because 99.99% of the time is spent merging orbits or getting close enough to shoot.

That's the second axis they're hosed on, the first being that Sandboxes are notoriously boring to play in, and there's a careful balance to be struck between the theme park and sandbox experience that Ci!G are a bit too clumsy to get within spitting distance, let alone nail.

Apart from the technical difficulties, the balance between a curated and freeform experience and the rapidly shifting 'realism' sands, they stand an outside chance of releasing the thing, but I'm fairly certain that they've already saturated the market for themselves.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Chris is incapable of original thought. Nothing here has "never been dreamed before"

Has this dude never read scifi books wtf?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

colonelwest posted:

Somewhere buried in all of this greed, hubris and incompetence, is a doable concept of basically a bigger budget Elite Dangerous with deeper/more varied gameplay, a lot more handcrafted content, better graphics, larger scale player interactions and maybe some light FPS stuff. But they would have needed a custom engine and a clear vision/leadership from the start, and with the Crobbler that was never possible.

I dunno. I guess? Saying "buried in" makes it seem like deep down there's something substantial.

"Big space game, but better" isn't anything of worth. Literally every single loving game developer in the industry has had that idea.

The implementation is everything. Chris brings ZERO value to a team.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

echothreealpha posted:

Probably betting on SSOCS would be enough to make it a reality.

....what?

Do you know what SSOCS means? Because if you did you wouldn't say that.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

....what?

Do you know what SSOCS means? Because if you did you wouldn't say that.

I think that was the joke...? That SC backers think SSOCS will solve everything, even things it has nothing to do with.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Sarsapariller posted:

So today marks a kind of interesting departure in their ship sales. Specifically, the "Argo Mole," this new mining ship that they've launched after bumping all the other ships from the release schedule for this quarter.

Short version:

Four years ago, they sold this. The Orion, a multicrew mining ship with a whole bunch of hand-waving and dreams.txt about having a crew of 6 or whatever people scan, detonate, and harvest whole asteroids to scoop the good bits out of them. It never materialized, of course, but people still paid 600 or whatever dollars for this ship.

Today, they are selling this. The Mole... a multicrew mining ship for 4 people. Same exact purpose, same crew capacity, but now they actually know how mining works in their game (you shoot a laser at a rock, go figure) and so they can design "Multicrew" gameplay around it. It turns out that the multicrew gameplay is just a bunch of suckers on turrets and one guy driving, but that's pretty advanced for CIG.

So- this is the first time I can recall that one of their dream ships has basically been completely overwritten by reality. Naturally they haven't acknowledged this in any way, and the remaining fans don't really seem... conscious enough to notice. No doubt someone will bring it up at some point and a CIG lackey will say something like "Oh no the Orion is for a totally different type of mining," but the case remains- they are gradually going to replace poo poo they actually sold with poo poo that can be practically implemented, while still lying to the backers about whether or not they're even working on the thing they charged six hundred dollars for.

I’m excited to see what becomes of the Endeavor. Maybe they’ll have a little Science Officer station with a big red button at his or her desk that says “Do science.” Or if you have the deep space telescope module, a button that says “Scan deep space.”

monkeytek posted:

So I guess the question is, did it work? Has there been any objective proof their gambit paid off?

Besides Sandi's aborted attempts at being a film actress has anyone seen proof that they have made significant inroads into the Hollywood industry?

I mean they could have done it the old fashioned way and been casting couch hopefuls, I hear Harvey is still out and about.

Actually, it’s going better than you might think. The new plan involves their daughter, who went on her first audition at the tender age of 10 days old (per IMDb trivia.) Kid seems like a natural and has landed gigs on NCIS:LA, Doom Patrol and Modern Family. (And that’s about all that seems worth adding to the thread on that subject.)

So that’s their new Hollywood plan. Honestly it’s probably the best one they’ve had.

colonelwest posted:

The move to LA pretty much declared Chris and Sandi’s real intentions of using their crowdfunded windfall to buy their way into Hollywood, and killed any chance of getting a decent game.

I think this is sorta true, although it assumes that had Austin been left in charge things might’ve been fine. But Austin was its own mess, even if a funner, more honest one.

I think the bigger problem has always been Chris’s refusal from the start to lock down a design plan. He decided he liked selling ships and hype more than pretty much anything else, so that’s what he focused on, and in so doing, he hyped a dozen different and often contradictory visions of the game he was selling. He was doing that in Austin, then started doing it in LA, and since it kept money flooding into the coffers, anybody who told him “Stop!” was on the fast track to gone.

The Austin to LA move did help surface a different set of problems. One of the least understood elements of this history is the internal power struggle between regional factions. We only see it dimly through their public facade, but it’s there and it’s always been there. The power struggle between Austin and LA was mostly seen through the Wingman / Sandi drama, although I’m sure it was far more complicated. But when LA prevailed over Austin, and turned CIG LA into their propaganda HQ, that’s when hell really started to break loose. Rage at the weekly embarrassments wrought in Santa Monica had folks in the UK cringing and furious. We saw that made pretty obvious by the EightAce drops in thread. You get pieces of it in articles like the Kotaku UK stories:

Kotaku UK posted:

“It started to become clear that deadlines weren't going to get hit in other studios,” a source at the Manchester studio told me. “For example, the multiplayer demo at PAX East in 2014. If you remember the live stream… any CIG livestreams were just horrible, but that first major livestream was to show off multiplayer and it just didn't work at all. That was because [the LA team] didn't hit the deadline for multiplayer. They were still patching the game on the show floor ten minutes before they were going to show it; of course it didn’t work.

(The article is rife with this kind of sniping.)

I’ve heard directly from folks who’ve also talked about the behind the scenes power moves of the Frankfurt / Crytek gang. A big tug of war over what kind of game Star Citizen should be was going on in the background, with Chris Roberts as the rope constantly being pulled back and forth.

It’s hard to make sense of a lot of it. Probably the only thing all of these warring factions agreed on was that Sandi was a nightmare who never should’ve been hired, and that problem seems to have finally solved itself.

It feels like, at this point, most of the ugliest infighting may be over and it’s been triage mode development since. I wish I understood it better because it’s one of the more interesting stories that remains mostly untold. It would take a lot of long conversations with a lot of key people past and present to really nail that one down and I doubt will get that anytime soon. Maybe never.

Anyway, to bring it back to the start, I think the project was doomed independent of where it was headquartered. Chris’s never had a real vision for the games, just a vision of how he wanted to sell them and how he wanted to be seen while selling them (as a “visionary”.) Absent a design vision, and lacking in basic leadership qualities, Chris has just lurched from sale to sale, show to show, trailer to trailer, pitch to pitch. And all the while, the people he’s surrounded himself with have been vying for his favor, fighting each other to see their own visions become Chris’s, prevailing temporarily until someone else’s did. In the end, if something does truly release for Squadron or Star Citizen, they’ll play like the messes this godforsaken process made of them.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 27, 2019

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Our absent friend Melvin has been playing Elite lately, but struggles with the lack of Pay2Win when fighting difficult, high-ranked NPCs:

:saddowns:

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

SelenicMartian posted:

How the gently caress do you use a sextant in space?

http://www.astronomy.com/news/2018/06/the-story-of-the-apollo-sextant

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Quavers posted:

Our absent friend Melvin has been playing Elite lately, but struggles with the lack of Pay2Win when fighting difficult, high-ranked NPCs:

WTF, Elite´s Horizons with its engineering thing was supposed to be actual Pay2Win according to some shitizens. Our friend Malvil is just not aware!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I think that was the joke...? That SC backers think SSOCS will solve everything, even things it has nothing to do with.

Ah okay yeah I think I misread it

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Quavers posted:

Kids today and their entitlement! Bwaaaaa, I want to be elite but I don't want to put the effort! In my days we went straight back to stage one after we lost all our continues in Clinger-Winger.

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019

Zaphod42 posted:

Ah okay yeah I think I misread it

haha yeah, it was a joke.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

trucutru posted:

Kids today and their entitlement! Bwaaaaa, I want to be elite but I don't want to put the effort! In my days we went straight back to stage one after we lost all our continues in Clinger-Winger.

In Chuckie Egg we only started with 5 lives, and Jet Set Willy only 3 lives. Kids these days don't know real challenge.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Quavers posted:

i dont want to learn advanced game systems but i do want to kill advanced level enemies!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

News from warframe:

After sinking a lot of spacebux and resources I have completed my internet spaceship:

I said it before but this thing is really loving big. This is me and my cat under its left wing, in front of one of the tiny entrances at the bottom

Fourth floor (you read that right)

Third Floor Main Room

Third Floor Bridge

Second Floor Main Room

Second Floor leading to first, Engineering and salvage compaction

Bonus: there's a glitch that let us fly it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKA4F7O-Vno
A bug from DE accidentally provided a more functional multicrew than Star Citizen.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 27, 2019

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic, but I'm a game company

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

excuse me sir only the most ELITE star citizens can purchase a titanic

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
Speaking of old cool space games, Klingon Academy was really cool. Really fun shooting the nacelles off the Enterprise. Pity it doesn’t seem to be available anywhere these days.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
Happy Turkey day, haters.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

:golfclap:

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Hav posted:

Happy Turkey day, haters.

Maybe add a beached whale by the ball pit?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

SSNeoman posted:

News from warframe:

After sinking a lot of spacebux and resources I have completed my internet spaceship:

I said it before but this thing is really loving big. This is me and my cat under its left wing, in front of one of the tiny entrances at the bottom

Fourth floor (you read that right)

Third Floor Main Room

Third Floor Bridge

Second Floor Main Room

Second Floor leading to first, Engineering and salvage compaction

Bonus: there's a glitch that let us fly it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKA4F7O-Vno
A bug from DE accidentally provided a more functional multicrew than Star Citizen.

Yeah, I'm gonna come back to Warframe for the flyable ship. Any idea when it's meant to release?

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019
can you buy that jpeg

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sandweed posted:

Anyone remember the old 3D Realms gem Terminal Velocity? I played the poo poo out of that game back in the 90s.

yes i do! it was a sweet era for pc gaming with apogee/id/3d realms/epic megagames etc.
other games which are often forgotten is the dos shmups raptor and tyrian

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Nobody forgets Tyrian.

And Jets n Guns 2 is still in EA.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Warframe may be a constant grind but it knows what it is and it's a game that actually exists.

Now I want to play Warframe.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

boviscopophobic posted:

Maybe add a beached whale by the ball pit?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sandweed posted:

Anyone remember the old 3D Realms gem Terminal Velocity? I played the poo poo out of that game back in the 90s.

Oh yes. Although for some reason I keep mixing it up with Hi Octane, maybe because they were the two games we'd flip between when people wanted to show off their Pentiums capable of running either at good frame rates. :D

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Can we have a Tesla with smashed out windows in the far back of the image (between the balloons and the concierge sign but way in the background)?

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
its very good that nobody forgets tyrian. (yeah there are a billiion better shmups out there on a billion other platforms but well)

besides that, i'm curious when they gonna put SSOCS into the BDSSE

Slorgh
Apr 3, 2016

Quavers posted:

In Chuckie Egg we only started with 5 lives, and Jet Set Willy only 3 lives. Kids these days don't know real challenge.

Jet Set Willy actually started you with 8 lives, but it was incredibly easy to lose them, and sometimes you could lose all of them in one go. It was definitely a very tough game despite starting with 8 lives.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Warhawk109 posted:

Speaking of old cool space games, Klingon Academy was really cool. Really fun shooting the nacelles off the Enterprise. Pity it doesn’t seem to be available anywhere these days.

Yes! It was way ahead of its time. It even had an open world of full star systems, and celestial bodies with atmospheric effects and ground targets.

Sadly, it never got a digital release. You’d have to pirate it or find an old CD-ROM set, and the. go through hours of grief trying to get it to run on a modern system.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

ahh

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

G0RF posted:

Doom Patrol

Doom Patrol is awesome. Sits somewhere between X-men and Legion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quavers posted:

I wonder if he has considered buying an Idris.