Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

TraderStav posted:

Is Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle any good? $15 at Target for redcard holders right now. Thinking of it for my kids who are getting Switch Lites (aged 8-11)

It's a turn based strategy. It's a good game but if they are looking to play Mario they might be upset. But I was also a bit upset with Mario RPG when I first turned it on and it became one of my favorite games on the SNES shortly after. It was Mario enough, and Rabbids probably pulls that off.

Honestly it goes on sale all the time so don't feel like you are missing much, you can also grab the complete edition while it's on sale for a bit more (I think it's $25), the DLC alone usually is not on sale and goes for $20.

The turn based battle is going to be very hit or miss but with 2 kids I think you have good odds at least one of them will like it.

There is nothing about the game that is inherently bad for the age range, it's just not a Mario game. It's a turn based combat game that happens to have Mario in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

SelenicMartian posted:

I think Gal Metal's had a price drop, and is 50% off on top of that, but is it fun?

There's fun in there, but the game actively tries to keep you from getting to it.

Like, you have a limited amount of time before every battle. You spend the time to either earn money, spend time with your bandmates, or learn a new riff from a different famous metal song. The different riffs give you boosts against different enemies and game doesn't really get fun until you start to build up a good library of riffs that you can switch between and build up thousands of combo multipliers.

The game never tells you about this. It just calls it "practice" and the only time it mentions it is at the beginning when it basically says not to bother with it.

Also, the game has three different control styles. The best one is tabletop-only, it overlays a full drum kit on the touchscreen and you can just go nuts on it. If you need to play docked, you can switch to button mode where each pad is on a different button. It takes some time to get used to, but it's pretty fun.

The absolute worst way to play is motion controls. It's buggy, imprecise and you basically have no control over what you're hitting or when. You just try to flail to the beat and the best you can hope for is to keep on the rhythm enough to barely pass.

Guess which control scheme is the default?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
3 kids, the 8 year olds are twins!

Looks like Target is sold out, will keep an eye out though because I actually love Xcom style games so worst case I enjoy it. Thanks!

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
I've been really getting into Disco Elysium and wish it was on the switch, so I wouldn't have to be tied to my PC to play it. Is there anything sorta-kinda like it on switch? I hated Wasteland when I tried it on PS4, so that's out.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

TraderStav posted:

3 kids, the 8 year olds are twins!

Looks like Target is sold out, will keep an eye out though because I actually love Xcom style games so worst case I enjoy it. Thanks!

You should definitely pick it up for yourself at least. It’s really good and I think it’s actually better than Xcom.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

tensai posted:

I've been really getting into Disco Elysium and wish it was on the switch, so I wouldn't have to be tied to my PC to play it. Is there anything sorta-kinda like it on switch? I hated Wasteland when I tried it on PS4, so that's out.

Short answer is no.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

tensai posted:

Your best bet is the original, Planescape Torment. But it’s like a ridiculous $50.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Kiranamos posted:

Your best bet is the original, Planescape Torment. But it’s like a ridiculous $50.

Oh yeah I forgot they even ported that, probably because of the insane price tag lol

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Is the Starlink Digital version worth it? I don't want to mess with the toys at all.

If so, does the Deluxe edition add on anything worthwhile?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I'm grabbing Celeste, Slay the Spire, and thinking about Okami. How's Okami remastered? Which Zelda game is it closest to?

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

tensai posted:

It's coming to Switch eventually.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Evil Badman posted:

It's coming to Switch eventually.

Is that actually true? The last thing I heard was

quote:

The answer to whether Disco Elysium is coming to Xbox One and PS4 is a resounding yes. The team at ZA/UM are aiming for a 2020 release date. As for the Nintendo Switch, there is currently no answer out there.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm grabbing Celeste, Slay the Spire, and thinking about Okami. How's Okami remastered? Which Zelda game is it closest to?

I guess Twilight Princess cause wolf? I know TP has a reputation for being a slog in the early game but I found Okami to be much much worse and it made me put it down. If you’re curious, you can’t go wrong with that price. It’s a good port.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's probably closest to Twilight Princess not necessarily because of the wolf but because they both released in 2006 so they're very much games of the PS2/Gamecube design mindset.

e: There's a bunch of stuff on sale in the eshop right now too. Some good deals, 50% off of a bunch of the Steamworld games for example.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Does Slay the Spire have permanent upgrades to help future runs? I am eyeballing it in this sale.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Ragequit posted:

Does Slay the Spire have permanent upgrades to help future runs? I am eyeballing it in this sale.

New items get added to the pool as you play, and if you make it to the first boss you get extra options for starting gear on the subsequent run. But other than that, no, there are no permanent "upgrades" per se.

You should get it though, great game.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 27, 2019

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Nintendo must have been looking at my wishlist because they sure went out of their way to exclude Dragon Builders 2 from the NA sale :argh:

How is Ni No Kuni?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Tayter Swift posted:

How is Ni No Kuni?
Really pretty, but terrible.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Would there be another sale expected before Christmas? Ordered a Switch but it's not due to arrive until Tuesday, one day after this digital sale is over and I just found out you can't buy digital stuff without linking a Switch?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Ragequit posted:

It's very easy, I got it in a humble bundle after this thread talking about it beat it on my first run 2nd run was even easier so I put it down.

I'm poo poo at rogue likes, I still have zero wins in both Dungeons of Dreadmore and FTL, both games have over 100 hours and I really enjoy them.

So is it bad that you always win Slay the Spire? Not really but it also didn't do much to hold my attention. I'm very likely missing something because other people really love the Slay the Spire. Maybe I just have god luck. I still will probably play a few more games of it at some point, but it's not something I'd main.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Star posted:

Is that actually true? The last thing I heard was

poo poo, I'm wrong, not announced.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

pixaal posted:

It's very easy, I got it in a humble bundle after this thread talking about it beat it on my first run 2nd run was even easier so I put it down.

I'm poo poo at rogue likes, I still have zero wins in both Dungeons of Dreadmore and FTL, both games have over 100 hours and I really enjoy them.

So is it bad that you always win Slay the Spire? Not really but it also didn't do much to hold my attention. I'm very likely missing something because other people really love the Slay the Spire. Maybe I just have god luck. I still will probably play a few more games of it at some point, but it's not something I'd main.
Spirelogs, which is a mass data aggregate for Slay the Spire, has the general overall winrate at between 10 and 20 percent globally. That's far from very easy a win-every-time, and the players uploading their logs tend to be more in the stronger side of players. May I politely suggest not making a call about a large-scale probability with literally two data points?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

John Lee posted:

Spirelogs, which is a mass data aggregate for Slay the Spire, has the general overall winrate at between 10 and 20 percent globally. That's far from very easy a win-every-time, and the players uploading their logs tend to be more in the stronger side of players. May I politely suggest not making a call about a large-scale probability with literally two data points?

Good to know was likely god luck. I'm generally horrible at these games, 2 wins knowing nothing about the game or how to optimally play usually means a game is extremely easy. My experience is mine sure it's just 2 data points but the 2nd one was because I was convinced the game threw you a bone the first time but then it was a repeat. Which tends to suggest the game isn't going to get harder.

You can see how I drew these conclusions right? I also said how I drew then and that I felt they were likely wrong.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't describe StS as easy... in fact one thing about it I'm not a huge fan of is you can get unwinnable runs fairly easily. It's not like Isaac where you can brute force your way through if you know the game well enough, you need the cards to at least somewhat fall in your favor.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
ascension 0 the winrate can be 100% sure no problem. In StS the entire game is playing higher ascensions as you unlock them. When people say the game is hard they generally mean ascension 10+ gets hard.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 27, 2019

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

pixaal posted:

There's a pretty robust list of difficulties after you beat it that most people consider the "real" game. Ascension Levels.

Honestly I haven't gone back to it after I beat it on Normal with each character, but mostly because I have too much else to play, not because I felt done with the game.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

No Wave posted:

ascension 0 the winrate can be 100% sure. In StS the entire game is playing higher ascensions as you unlock them.

The game in no way told me this, I'll have to take another look. As I said I feel like I was missing something critical. Or more I was always planning on taking another look and am currently so deep into Pokemon that it wont happen this year. But early 2020. I'll remember to keep an eye out for the word ascension when I pick it back up though.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Yeah the game really is not that easy. A lot of my early wins were from the OP event that gives you the 5 ignore damage cards.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

pyrotek posted:

Is the Starlink Digital version worth it? I don't want to mess with the toys at all.

There's a lot of content there. It can get repetitive but if the overall controls and loop work for you then it's a fun, long, and inexpensive prospect and the only Star Fox game you'll get for a while.

I think deluxe has a couple extra weapons or something but don't know offhand

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pixaal posted:

The game in no way told me this, I'll have to take another look. As I said I feel like I was missing something critical. Or more I was always planning on taking another look and am currently so deep into Pokemon that it wont happen this year. But early 2020. I'll remember to keep an eye out for the word ascension when I pick it back up though.

It literally tells you after you finish. also two runs isn't even enough to see every character in the game nor to fight the real final boss, let alone to see higher difficulty levels

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

pyrotek posted:

I don't think so, and I say this from owning the Standard Digital. Standard gives you all the weapons you'll need. Deluxe adds pilots and ships but if you're not using the Arwing and Fox then why did you buy the game? If you want more weapons you can get piece meal DLC later on.

Bottom Liner posted:

Twilight Princess in the sense of needless bloat that game had. Now I liked Okami, but it drags for an unbearably long amount of time and the combat isn't great. It's lovely and cool for a while though.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

It literally tells you after you finish. also two runs isn't even enough to see every character in the game nor to fight the real final boss, let alone to see higher difficulty levels

Having gotten the game for free and at face value it felt like I had done everything. Sure there were other classes but none of that looked interested at all given how easy a time I had before that. I enjoyed the game but it felt like a one to two day game not a I'm going to play this for a year game.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

SelenicMartian posted:

Really pretty, but terrible.

Dang. Well I liked Musou games back in the day and unlike Hyrule, Dynasty Warriors 8 is on sale so I guess I'll take that. Thanks for the info.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I feel like I should buy Celeste just because of the price but I'm so behind on games I've bought that I want to play it's ridiculous. There are so many good games.

For the record one of the games I bought I'm NOT interested in after playing a little is Okami. Doesn't seem like a bad game but it didn't draw me in so much and at this point it's way down on my list of games to revisit.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

pixaal posted:

Having gotten the game for free and at face value it felt like I had done everything. Sure there were other classes but none of that looked interested at all given how easy a time I had before that. I enjoyed the game but it felt like a one to two day game not a I'm going to play this for a year game.
well, you're wrong. Do what you want though.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

finally, a sale on bubsy paws on fire

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Johnny Walker posted:

I feel like I should buy Celeste just because of the price but I'm so behind on games I've bought that I want to play it's ridiculous. There are so many good games.

Stop buying games just because they are on sale. I save money by only buying games when I'm about to play them. This means I'm often spending $60 on a game instead of $20 but I now own 1/10 the games. I do try and keep games with 20+ DLC packages that are basically required (Paradox stuff) to holiday sales only because gently caress that's a money pit.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Also aside from the ascensions "beating" Slay the Spire means killing the heart. To even access the heart you have to beat the third level with each character. Beating the heart is much much harder than a normal run. In 90 hours I only managed it once.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

pixaal posted:

Stop buying games just because they are on sale. I save money by only buying games when I'm about to play them. This means I'm often spending $60 on a game instead of $20 but I now own 1/10 the games. I do try and keep games with 20+ DLC packages that are basically required (Paradox stuff) to holiday sales only because gently caress that's a money pit.

Yeah, I want the Contra and Castlevania collections since they're half off now but I'll wait until I'm ready to play them. I have a lot of gold coins to use but I'll just wait to use those on Smash DLC like I did last time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

If you download epic's weekly free game you get more game than you can play for $0. Its bizarre.