Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
In my experience it's down to neck construction and the environment it's in.

My OAF 8 string with 1 piece unfinished rosewood neck will both get wildly out of whack due to humidity changes every year, and will shift (though not by huge amounts) by the next day after adjusting the truss.

On the other hand, my 8 string agile multiscale 5 piece neck through took like 5 years for the action to gently caress up any appreciable amount with zero setup on my end, and I can adjust the truss and be fine immediately.

Also, my 1 truss 8's definitely have more issues than my 2 truss 8's, but that's more a construction concern, and less about the wood itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
I tried to do research to figure out whether I was wrong about this and it turns out, even among luthiers/techs with a lot of experience, there's rampant disagreement as to whether waiting is needed or not. It seems like you might want to wait if the guitar has a thick neck or if it's very cold. It probably does depend on the guitar and it could be that the guitars I buy tend to settle quickly. Most of my axes have thin necks and I keep my apartment very warm (bad circulation and I can't play well if my hands are cold).

Though there seems to be a consensus that most of the change happens immediately. I can also see how a double action vs single action truss right might make a difference. On a single action, you could conceivably end up removing all the pressure from the neck to get the upbow you want and there I could understand if the wood and the strings (and the trem springs) need a while to settle into equilibrium. But on a double action rod (which almost all of my guitars have), a secondary rod controls upbow, which might be why I've had better luck with instant adjustments than Faustus has.

When I'm building a guitar I let it sit overnight, but that's just because I'm big on stainless steel frets and doing fretwork on those is an arduous 5 hour affair sometimes. Even if you only wait 10-15 mins between adjustments it can still take a few hours to get the drat thing exactly right.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Hey everyone,
I am getting caught up on the the Zion history so I post this in case you give a poo poo (you don't) but I learned some important things last night:

1) The man who commissioned this instrument (and maybe one more just like it, but in blue) is Pete Petty from "My 3 Sons."

What he asked for (and got!) was essentially a "Steve Lukather Valley Arts" guitar. This is the one I found on reverb and it's $14k so ya know, this is what Pete wanted: https://reverb.com/item/27780668-valley-arts-steve-lukather-model-with-signature-1991

Now, I do not know today and and I will never learn what Ken Hoover charged him for this guitar, but this is what Pete told me:

quote:

I was a a big Steve Lukather fan and I wanted Ken Hoover to build me a replica of the Valley Arts guitar that Steve had. I didn't want it to be a Sunburst. I wanted a trans cherry finish. Everything else about the guitar was as close as we could get to Steve's guitar.

Just look at the two instruments and it's so obvious.

That's my Zion story. I still have some electronics/setup work to do this weekend; but after that she should be all set. Unless I take all the EMGs out and start over on the electronics, which is very likely.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
My loose pedals were starting to get out of hand so I finally invested in a proper board:

Probably a bit extravagant but it'll be nice to not have a tangled-up mess on the floor anymore.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
New old guitar day

Audition made by Teisco. Missing the vibrato arm, but otherwise pretty nice shape for 60's Japanese catalog guitar. Plays okay, although there is no chance of intonation ever being correct. Pick ups are pretty meh, not that I expected much. I just really like the shape, something I can't say about most Teiscos.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Anime Reference posted:

My loose pedals were starting to get out of hand so I finally invested in a proper board:

Probably a bit extravagant but it'll be nice to not have a tangled-up mess on the floor anymore.

I like the board, mind sharing the info on it? I'm in the market as my current board is full and it's just a plank of wood on the ground with velcro.

Also, how's the heavy metal pedal? I've got a couple of those behringers sitting on my amazon list for a rainy day. I have the compressor and don't have any complaints .

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

former glory posted:

I like the board, mind sharing the info on it? I'm in the market as my current board is full and it's just a plank of wood on the ground with velcro.

Also, how's the heavy metal pedal? I've got a couple of those behringers sitting on my amazon list for a rainy day. I have the compressor and don't have any complaints .

It's a Voodoo Labs Large Dingbat with a Pedal Power Mondo as the power supply. The Mondo's got 12 outputs so they're the perfect size for each other. There's a space on the other side for another power supply but I can't see that being necessary unless you had a ton of mini pedals.

As for the HM300, I've struggled a bit getting the sound I want out of it but that's more a problem with me and my amp-free setup than the pedal itself. Right now I'm experimenting with running it into the Herbert as a boost and that's had some interesting results (it sounds like hell, which I think means I'm doing it right.) I've had a few Behringer pedals and while I wouldn't want to tour with them they work just fine.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

A Reverb seller worked with a bunch of pedal manufacturers to do a series of good pedals in an all-black colorway in a limited, one-time-only run of 1000 100 each.

I'd been about ready to pull the trigger on a Walrus Slö anyway and this tipped me over the edge. I'm optimistic that the text will be a bit more readable than it looks in the pic.

former glory posted:

I'm in the market as my current board is full and it's just a plank of wood on the ground with velcro.

Not OP but if you're looking for a cheap, decent board check out AliExpress. I got one of these and have been really pleased with it for the price. It's not the sturdiest thing ever but more than fine for home use.

Lawen fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 22, 2019

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Lawen posted:

A Reverb seller worked with a bunch of pedal manufacturers to do a series of good pedals in an all-black colorway in a limited, one-time-only run of 1000 each.

I'd been about ready to pull the trigger on a Walrus Slö anyway and this tipped me over the edge. I'm optimistic that the text will be a bit more readable than it looks in the pic.

Not OP but if you're looking for a cheap, decent board check out AliExpress. I got one of these and have been really pleased with it for the price. It's not the sturdiest thing ever but more than fine for home use.

Woah, thanks. I was sort of balking at the price of the voodoo but this seems cheap enough to just order and hope for the best. I just placed an order for the large size + bunch of interconnects and a PS.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Anime Reference posted:

Hey how's that herbert pedal, specifically as a preamp if you've used it that way? I love Diezel tones but obviously the amps are crazy expensive and most modelers don't even bother to model them. Brainworx makes a VST version that's supposed to be good but it's UAD only last I checked and I'm not buying an overpriced interface with a SHARC for one single amp.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Gnumonic posted:

Hey how's that herbert pedal, specifically as a preamp if you've used it that way? I love Diezel tones but obviously the amps are crazy expensive and most modelers don't even bother to model them. Brainworx makes a VST version that's supposed to be good but it's UAD only last I checked and I'm not buying an overpriced interface with a SHARC for one single amp.

I like it a lot, it's got a very authoritative death chunk. The mid-cut is a lot more useful than the one on the Tightmetal since it's switchable and has its own volume knob (and intensity, so you don't have to go full Dimebag if you don't want). It has *a lot* of gain -- mine's at 11:00 and that's plenty.
One annoying quirk is that when you use the preamp output the bypass switch becomes a mute switch. I can't even begin to guess why. As a result I've been using the "to clean amp" output instead and then using a clean amp sim VST.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It's because the preamp out is meant to be used when you want to have the pedal always on and running into a power amp, like the preamp section in a complete amp.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
It just seems like a rude thing to do on a pedal that hasn't got a clean channel or alternate routing. It makes a switcher setup mandatory.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!
Stuck an eight string pickup (SD Pegasus) in a seven string guitar like a monster. It clearly ruins the already dumbshit aesthetic.

Now I just gotta figure out if I want the Sentient or a Dimarzio in the neck...

A while back I suggested somebody try magnet swapping the stock pickups and that is a terrible idea because they use nonstandard magnet sizes, and they use two of the fuckers (explains why the stock pickup is offensively hot).

Death Panel Czar fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 24, 2019

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
And another guitar I really don't need, but the price was too good to pass it up.

Squier '51. Strat-shaped body, Tele neck, humbucker bridge, strat-neck pickups. Volume with a pull coil-tap and rotary 3 way switch on an original P-bass shaped control plate and pickguard. Made from 2004 to 2006 as a Squier, then as a Fender model from 2011 to 2013, and then as a Squier again for another couple years.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Holy poo poo that owns. I loooooove oddball Fender designs, and the early Tele-style P bass is one of my favorites.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Sold my Schecter V (never played it) and decided I needed a V in my collection after all. Got this from a local builder who does a bunch of weird stuff. Body is from a Jackson, not sure about the neck. Seymour Duncan TB-4 Trembucker and a Floyd. Hand painted by some american dude once. Plays great and sounds really nice.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

That's really cool

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

This sounds real nice. It's built like a loving tank.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I got a cheap Chinese SG clone for $200 and it’s pretty rad even if I am going to change the mediocre-sounding pickups (weirdly, the bridge pickup is a whopping 17.2kOhm DCR stock lol). Adjusted the action and it intonated well. It neck dives but not terribly and it’s an SG so I figured it would.

:black101:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I bought a box with funny looking metal pieces sticking out of it. Is this one of those CIA mind control things I've heard of?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
oo0000OOOoooooeeeeeeeeeaaaaaoooooooooo000OOo

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

GWBBQ posted:

I bought a box with funny looking metal pieces sticking out of it. Is this one of those CIA mind control things I've heard of?

Holy poo poo my friend just bought this exact model and I got to play with it. It’s so drat fun!

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

$50 Glarry Strat. Plays and sounds exactly how you'd expect, but it's really not bad. Fattest neck I've ever played, now I know what people mean when they say "baseball bat" neck. Frets are fine, finish is fine. Pickups are noisy, but who cares, it cost less than a video game. Certainly better than the $99 Squier Bullets I played growing up.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My PC needs either a new CPU or mobo, so I am limited to my old Dell Studio laptop for awhile. This makes posting a bit more difficult as it's harder to get the pics off the camera or phone for presentation:

My GF asked what I wanted for Christmas and I opted for the big Peladatrain board. It took a while but here are the before/after pics.

Lucky for me, I was just looking to organize my pedals since I have such a small footprint right now for pedals. I had to leave one out, but it's ok since it's just basically a gimmick that my Fender "The Pinwheel" and my old Dunlop Trem/Pan cover neatly.

I'm not saying I want to lug this pedalboard around; only that if I needed to I could.

Essentially, this was before:

and this is after:

I'll be back to talk about that Zion when I am seriously thinking about swapping out all the electronics. I will need some advice.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Got a Yamaha BB234 in natural. The wood grain is so choice, I can't believe this is a beginner instrument.

The setup out of the box is pretty much perfect as is. The strings are even pretty new and I don't feel like it needs a change quite yet.

I'm still getting used to how big it is versus my guitars. The headstock is enormous and I could probably use this to paddle a canoe lol. It's balanced nicely though, no neck dive.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 26, 2019

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

skooma512 posted:

Got a Yamaha BB234 in natural. The wood grain is so choice, I can't believe this is a beginner instrument.

The setup out of the box is pretty much perfect as is. The strings are even pretty new and I don't feel like it needs a change quite yet.

I'm still getting used to how big it is versus my guitars. The headstock is enormous and I could probably use this to paddle a canoe lol. It's balanced nicely though, no neck dive.

sup yamaha broadbass buddy :cheerdoge:

i love mine so much

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I got a Bugera G5 Infinium.

Not sure this is the best platform for enjoying raw tube power.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Dr. Faustus posted:

My PC needs either a new CPU or mobo, so I am limited to my old Dell Studio laptop for awhile. This makes posting a bit more difficult as it's harder to get the pics off the camera or phone for presentation:

My GF asked what I wanted for Christmas and I opted for the big Peladatrain board. It took a while but here are the before/after pics.

Lucky for me, I was just looking to organize my pedals since I have such a small footprint right now for pedals. I had to leave one out, but it's ok since it's just basically a gimmick that my Fender "The Pinwheel" and my old Dunlop Trem/Pan cover neatly.

I'm not saying I want to lug this pedalboard around; only that if I needed to I could.

Essentially, this was before:

and this is after:

I'll be back to talk about that Zion when I am seriously thinking about swapping out all the electronics. I will need some advice.

Out of curiosity, what's the rack?

Also out of curiosity: What kind of music do you play?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Gnumonic posted:

Out of curiosity, what's the rack?

Also out of curiosity: What kind of music do you play?
The rack used to hold my guitar rig stuff, because I've run a stereo rig almost since I started buying gear. None of that poo poo works anymore, it's all full of dead pots and caps and it's garbage.
When I put this mini-rig together rack--mount gear seems to be more rare unless you're going full Amp-simm+Multi FX. I prefer my tube amps, with the stereo pedals in the effects loops in stereo.
The pedals are limiting in many ways (I grew up with MIDI and expression pedals and could store a preset for every cover tune we played) but pedals are actually really neat and I like the way you can collect them and get different versions of the same basic effect.

The rack that used to hold a HUSH and an BBE and a Quadraverb and an A.R.T. MultiVerb and a few other rack gadgets is now a microphone rack. It's got a cheap Behringer mic preamp and a not so cheap A.R.T. stereo tube mic preamp, along with an Alesis Compressor/limiter. I have a small collection of mics and that ART preamp is just pure gold. It is basically just outputs to my recording interface for PC, which is an ancient Lambda (I need to upgrade but who has time to record?)

Under the mic preamp rack is a highly modded and carefully tubed Fender Blues Jr. Mk III which I love but rarely play.

Mostly when I play I sit down and noddle. Once my hands are warmed up I play pretty much what you'd expect, looking at these guitars: King's X, Satch, old VH and Extreme, Badlands, Paul Gilbert, Eric Johnson, Robben Ford (my hero), various tunes from the 90s that the Internet has shown me how to play, and my original stuff. I tried to kickstart a Danny Gatton phase but I don't see it happening without quitting my job. O, that and I traded my Tele (which was set up with Danny Gatton's wah-mod controls) to my Dad for that Zion. That just means I get to go Telecaster shopping again this year!

I love all kinds of guitar music, some of it the simplest of the simple, and some of it completely unplayable except by gods. I also get just as annoyed by the same stuff, it just depends on my mood.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr. Faustus posted:

I tried to kickstart a Danny Gatton phase but I don't see it happening without quitting my job.

gently caress yessss :doit:

chicken pickin is pretty much the highest form of guitarerery imo.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I got a Bugera G5 Infinium.

Not sure this is the best platform for enjoying raw tube power.

It sounds great there are just a lot of bells and whistles.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

gently caress yessss :doit:

chicken pickin is pretty much the highest form of guitarerery imo.

As a total metal guy with a healthy appreciation for jazz... yep this is pretty much right.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

If I somehow got Yngwie Malmsteen and Johnny Hiland together for a "you do my style and I'll do yours" I could probably retire on the youtube revenue.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Not very exciting, but finding a left handed nut for an LP in Australia was way harder than it should have been. Thanks random eBay seller!

I'm glad to be getting my LP going again, I haven't played it nearly enough in the 10 or so years I've had it.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
First PRS in my household and I'm mighty impressed. For Christmas, got my 11-year-old son this beautiful Korean-made SE custom 24. Roasted maple neck, mahogany body, and gorgeous quilted maple top. Plays and sounds great.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Bought this lil guy for my synths cuz he's small and cute and does a pile of effects for $35 from Aliexpress. My Crave and Microfreak needed some delayverb love.

Took like 4 days to get here from their US store.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33039554109.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u-qbl8x2X4

Sounds pretty good. It's not a Big Sky or anything, but I hooked it up to my guitar and it's on point. You can do the slow plucks that go on forever and sound spacey. For the cost it's perfect for a simple delay pedal. And it's tiny as hell, great for those with little desk space. The knobs are SUPER tiny, but that's a trade off for being so small. For me setting the mix level to about one o'clock is about perfect.

It does Chorus, Phaser, Flanger, Tremolo, Delay, Reverb, Delay+Reverb, and Chrous+Delay+Reverb. Each of those has two modes. Typically one "modern" sounding, and one "vintage" sounding. Ie. Cold & Warm modes.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 29, 2019

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I believe that’s an FV-1 chip with its factory algorithms in a box. I mean they are good basic algorithms but lol that they just boxed up the chip and called it a day. Someone had to do it and it’s cheap!

It’s the same DSP chip Earthquaker uses for the Rainbow Machine and Mr Black uses for the Supermoon.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, for $35 I wasn't going to cry over it being possibly bad. But I have about a few hours noodling with it on my guitar and mono synths and it's exactly what I was hoping for. I couldn't be happier.

Edit: Jesus, those Earthquaker/Mr Black pedals are $200?

Philthy fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Dec 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Philthy posted:

Yeah, for $35 I wasn't going to cry over it being possibly bad. But I have about a few hours noodling with it on my guitar and mono synths and it's exactly what I was hoping for. I couldn't be happier.

Edit: Jesus, those Earthquaker/Mr Black pedals are $200?

The Rainbow Machine is the weirdest mangling effect I've ever heard and it sounds remarkably clean (if that makes any sense at all) while doing it. It's like turning reverb and delay inside out.

Personally I don't care for it, but my spouse thinks it's amazingly gross.