Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rimworld of magic also has options for resolving that problem in a variety of ways.

As, I think, does the vampire mod.

I also enjoy that the vampire mod interacts with android tiers so you can have vampdroids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

hey guys, after seeing this on the front page for years im gonna give it a real go, i basically have no idea what im doing. gonna post updates here, should be a good time! gonna go with randy random

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

queeb posted:

gonna go with randy random

Sounds like you know what you're doing after all

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Just started a new rough Randy random before I read everybody saying rough Randy sucks, but so far he's just showering me with cargo pods full of bird leather.

Also one of my guys can't catch a break, heatwave, diarrhea, food poisoning, and now the plague, I'll just blame his poor constitution.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
The thing about Randy is he's still not completely, truly random and he does try to avoid fuckin' you in the early game, the different difficulties of Randy determine the degree to which he'll gently caress you. The "random" is that he throws all sorts of poo poo, instead of scripted poo poo. Cassie likes to throw raids at you at certain intervals that give an opportunity to build the colony and she doesn't try to blow you up - Randy will go "oh, time for a bad event" and then rolls the dice and throws whatever.

As I understand it, you also see a whole bunch of pods from him because he'll just go "time for an event" and then the dice roll on "gently caress this guy?" and then if it's "nah" he'll throw a cargo pod because he won't throw like, refugees until a certain point.

I'm going down the rabbit hole now, I want certain pawn times to make some scenarios based on that psychic mod and so I'm going deep into XML and pulling pawn type thingcomponents from other mods and I'm gonna mash them all together. If anyone has done this before, can you confirm that I can drag a steam workshop mod into my local mod folder and gently caress it up and it won't like, break poo poo in progress unless the mod load order changes?

Edit: someone also made a grey aliens mod that is like, extremely barebones and I'd like to make those dudes a little bit more unique.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i wouldn't go that far. randy's more than happy to throw toxic fallout at you in the first two days, which might be gg for a fledgling community even if you immediately pack up everything and move one cell over just because of how little time you have to get anything at all going in the opening days of a game.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Coolguye posted:

i wouldn't go that far. randy's more than happy to throw toxic fallout at you in the first two days, which might be gg for a fledgling community even if you immediately pack up everything and move one cell over just because of how little time you have to get anything at all going in the opening days of a game.

Yeah any of the non-scaling events he'll just throw out there on a "I should gently caress this guy" tick. But he won't like, drop a 40 person raid, or an infestation, or so on in the first while.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Pain sticks and guns are my go tos for mental breaks and prison breaks

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

So I just launched my ship in Save Our Ship 2 and the inside of my ship got really cold. Is this normal?

2 heaters gets me up to -29F. Do I need 50 heaters to start to grow hydroponics?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

esquilax posted:

So I just launched my ship in Save Our Ship 2 and the inside of my ship got really cold. Is this normal?

2 heaters gets me up to -29F. Do I need 50 heaters to start to grow hydroponics?

Check your roof situation, I noticed it tries to build a ship roof along with the flooring/hull, and if your roof zoning is shonky, you wind up with constructed roof or no roof until you rebuild that tile

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Danaru posted:

Check your roof situation, I noticed it tries to build a ship roof along with the flooring/hull, and if your roof zoning is shonky, you wind up with constructed roof or no roof until you rebuild that tile

I checked and my roofs are fine. It looks like the external airlocks are letting out all the heat (even when they are closed). When I walled them off the temperature stabilized.

Seems like a bug.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Dragongem posted:

Anyone ever run into a bug where their colonist portraits at the top disappears, and the UI flickers? It's not the setting to show colonist pawns at the top, unfortunately. I thought it was a resolution error but apparently messing with the resolution didn't fix it. I can post a list of my mods later but I didn't know if anyone's run into that specific issue.

I guess I have too many mods :(

Do you have any caravans that are bugged and empty on your map ? This can cause it and Save our Ship 2 seems to have a problem with GiddyUp regarding this right now. You can remove one of those and merge another caravan in the empty one to get rid of it (Use the dev tools to teleport around if needed)

Tias
May 25, 2008

I somehow misplaced the knowledge of how to dig up dirt in Fertile Fields. The doc isn't helping, it just says I can dig up soil and move it freely, but I can't find the command :confused:

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Well I have an infestation that has spawned in the caves near my colony, I think eight or so hives? That is SO MANY horrible bug monsters.

I have nine colonists who can fight and they have automatic weapons, plus one melee guy with plate armour and a plasteel longsword. I have walled the bugs in for now but had to reload after I tried to fight them.

I set up a bunch of steel traps, built a pair of gun turrets in the entrance then set up a firing squad with everyone ready. They mowed down a bunch of bugs but were then just completely overwhelmed by hordes who then marauded my base and dismembered anyone who tried to get up. Are there any secret tricks to fighting them? Or do I just need to build some kind of gigantic killbox full of traps and turrets then pray?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tias posted:

I somehow misplaced the knowledge of how to dig up dirt in Fertile Fields. The doc isn't helping, it just says I can dig up soil and move it freely, but I can't find the command :confused:

You should get access to a bunch of floorings labeled [x] from [y], so you place sand from dirt on a dirt tile, and it'll remove the dirt components and downgrade the tile to sand, leaving you the clay/soil part to build dirt elsewhere. I believe some of them are tech locked too.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Patrat posted:

Well I have an infestation that has spawned in the caves near my colony, I think eight or so hives? That is SO MANY horrible bug monsters.

I have nine colonists who can fight and they have automatic weapons, plus one melee guy with plate armour and a plasteel longsword. I have walled the bugs in for now but had to reload after I tried to fight them.

I set up a bunch of steel traps, built a pair of gun turrets in the entrance then set up a firing squad with everyone ready. They mowed down a bunch of bugs but were then just completely overwhelmed by hordes who then marauded my base and dismembered anyone who tried to get up. Are there any secret tricks to fighting them? Or do I just need to build some kind of gigantic killbox full of traps and turrets then pray?

If you have the bugs fully sealed behind a wall, the safest method is to burn them out: wait until nighttime when they snooze, have someone sneak in to chuck a molotov or some other kind of incendiary to light things up, then lock it up while they roast. You probably want to have extra layers on your wall in case they try to dig out before the heatstroke kicks in and may need to sneak in some combustibles if what's already in there isn't enough fuel to get things hot.

When it comes to duking it out with bugs, you need a good chokepoint with a strong melee fighter to hold them in place while your firing line supports them from near-adjacent tiles, (there's friendly fire chance at more than 2 tiles away unless you're using CE then it's friendly fire all the time).

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Tias posted:

It's in the Terraform menu on the left, not with the farm field tiles.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Kafouille posted:

It's in the Terraform menu on the left, not with the farm field tiles.

I can't find it :/ And it's the damndest thing, because I have already done it once, now I just can't find it.

E: gently caress me, there it is! Marshy soil to soil. Thanks :downs:

Tias fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 28, 2019

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
Is anyone playing with Fertile Fields having the problem where it makes pawns try to build things they don't have the required construction level for? A few people on its Steam workshop page are complaining about it and I ended up disabling it because of that.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Blight is loving dumb and tedious. Any mods out there to fix it?

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

There's the auto-cut blight mod for the next time you get one perhaps, https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1885186534&searchtext=blight

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Or you can just disable it in the scenario settings

isndl
May 2, 2012
Blight isn't much of an issue when your crops are compartmentalized, it's mostly a pain when you have giant outdoor fields. Wall off 11x11 rooms for your sunlamps and at worst you lose one room to blight. Mix in devilstrand which is immune to blight and you'll lose even less.

Hell, you can wall off your outdoor fields and leave them unroofed too, and it protects against wild animals strolling up to eat them

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
How are the two harder difficulty levels compared to medium? I started my first Rimworld game with medium Cassandra and now that I'm at the point where I can research the last couple tech tiers, the game is easy to the point of being boring. A few decent turrets fart any raids dead within a few seconds.

I'll probably restart on rough unless the difficulty ramps waay up? Not Randy though, I don't appreciate random game-over events that I can't counter.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You using any mods?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I always play randy rough and tbh I don't get game enders. Or if you do just reload a few saves back.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You using any mods?

No, it was my first game and went all vanilla.

I'll probably add some stuff like bad hygiene for next round.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Randy still follows the standard raid difficulty rules so he isn't going to give you game enders. If anything, he's more gentle about it since the other two storytellers guarantee frequent raids as time goes on while Randy is perfectly happy with sending you a fifth pod of lightleather in a row. (And the flip side is he might send five raids in a row, but you should be seeing the writing on the wall and had time to prepare before the fifth one kills you)

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I mean, eventually Cassandra will throw raids at you that are vastly more powerful than you because both Cassandra and Phoebe are designed to force you to build the ship off the planet.

Randy is more often used because he doesn't have that built in force-off mechanic. He may throw some completely ridiculous things at you, but that's just RNG rather than a built in ever increasing number beyond your capabilities.

In the early game, one strategy is to start off on Cassandra or Phoebe on whatever difficulty and then switch over to Randy on whatever difficulty after about year 2 or so (when most colonies are getting out of the limp along stage).

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In my most successful game which started with randy rough (cause I'm hardcore and like alliteration) he eventually stopped sending raids at me and I started getting antsy and attacked pirate bases just to satiate my lust for violence. I had a fully cybernetic timber wolf just waiting to be ridden into battle by my souped up super soldier android :argh:

Leal fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 29, 2019

nerox
May 20, 2001
I started a game this morning and Randy sent 10 mounted dudes in armor and wielding axes that killed all 3 of my guys in like the first 5 minutes of the game.

I couldn’t do anything but laugh and start over.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

My favorite start was trying a solo run on an arid map. With Dinosauria installed. I started next to a T-rex.

A hungry T'rex. The game was over in about three seconds after unpausing. :allears:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

nerox posted:

I started a game this morning and Randy sent 10 mounted dudes in armor and wielding axes that killed all 3 of my guys in like the first 5 minutes of the game.

:xcom: But with Randy.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Which mod adds mounts?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Giddy Up, more specifically it adds the ability to ride any animal-like so it combines with other mods that add, say, dinosaurs.

isndl
May 2, 2012

nerox posted:

Did you luck into a ton of wealth somehow, I've never seen more than like one naked tribal on the first raid otherwise.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

isndl posted:

Did you luck into a ton of wealth somehow, I've never seen more than like one naked tribal on the first raid otherwise.

Sounds like its modded, and some modded factions don't really balance point costs. I know one, the one that adds anime fox girls, does not have low cost raiders and equipment. Dev in a 10 point raid from their faction and you get three or four enemies with combat armor and assault rifles. Something similar may have happened there, where the weakest guys they have are heavily armored knights with big axes that cost one point apiece.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Ashsaber posted:

Sounds like its modded, and some modded factions don't really balance point costs. I know one, the one that adds anime fox girls, does not have low cost raiders and equipment. Dev in a 10 point raid from their faction and you get three or four enemies with combat armor and assault rifles. Something similar may have happened there, where the weakest guys they have are heavily armored knights with big axes that cost one point apiece.

Glittertech used to be like that too, and Orassans. The latter was way worse because they would literally bomb you from orbit with perfect accuracy through roofs because you dared not be friends with the modders precious species.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

In the early game, one strategy is to start off on Cassandra or Phoebe on whatever difficulty and then switch over to Randy on whatever difficulty after about year 2 or so (when most colonies are getting out of the limp along stage).

You know, I hadn't even noticed you can change storyteller mid-game.

Switched that medium Cassandra to rough Randy and things got fun again. Randy chained poison ship and a big sapper raid on me, gunning half my pawns down. :confuoot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Arachne race is pretty bad about early raids too. It at least doesn't cheat the raid points, and attempts to nerf them by giving them awful quality equipment... but they're still coming in with assault rifles and flak vests in the first year on top of their somewhat overpowered regen.