Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

At least the brewer is feeling great so we won't run out of booze. That really would finish us off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I hope lil Verbal can grow up and be the best farmer she can to supply our valient fortress with the best and largest crops

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
All right I played out the month - luckily it wasn't QUITE so action packed as the first 5 days.

While I write it up we can have some audience participation: what would the dwarves of Valleysilences do?

Seems we have an adventurer dwarf here for a legendary book - one that seems to have been brought by a migrant to our fortress who has since died. What say ye?

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 28, 2019

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Hell yeah cough it up i seriously doubt that dude really wanted to come here to get it but they did

stratego
May 6, 2007

Throw the book at him.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Let him have it, maybe doing something nice for others will cheer the fortress up.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

If he got to the fortress and managed to not get murdered he deserves that book

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Give him the book.

Then send an expedition to steal back the book.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

HardDiskD posted:

Seriously, take this treasure and let all know what loving horror this place is.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

HardDiskD posted:

If he got to the fortress and stuck to his quest instead of running away screaming he deserves that book.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.

Volmarias posted:

Seriously, take this treasure and let all know what loving horror this place is.

Black Robe posted:

If he got to the fortress and stuck to his quest instead of running away screaming he deserves that book.

It'd honestly be safer with him. It took me months to recover the ones in the lava flooding incident, and I think a few might've melted because thieving tallfolk are dumb.

This man is dedicated to his book collection to willingly stay here this long looking for it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Flying Twybil posted:

It'd honestly be safer with him. It took me months to recover the ones in the lava flooding incident, and I think a few might've melted because thieving tallfolk are dumb.

This man is dedicated to his book collection to willingly stay here this long looking for it.
"Melted"? Are we using a very old-timey definition of "book" and thus have a bunch of stone tablets and etched-metal plates around? Or is this another case of Dwarf Fortress being weird; e.g. lava is hot, heat melts things, q.e.d. lava melts books?

Or am I being dumb and this is perfectly normal when you have a substance that's literally like 1,000 degrees in your neighborhood?

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Commander Keene posted:

"Melted"? Are we using a very old-timey definition of "book" and thus have a bunch of stone tablets and etched-metal plates around? Or is this another case of Dwarf Fortress being weird; e.g. lava is hot, heat melts things, q.e.d. lava melts books?

Or am I being dumb and this is perfectly normal when you have a substance that's literally like 1,000 degrees in your neighborhood?

I'm the dumb one here. It's my fault for not specifying artifacts in general, sorry for the confusion. Some things do legitimately burn anything with the ORGANIC tag while anything NONORGANIC melts. I don't remember what kinds of things we lost, but most artifacts are usually stone or metal. We lost maybe three in the attack due to dwarves being caught outside, but I don't know how many were lost to lava and how many were stolen.

Books in Dwarf Fortress:
The books in Dwarf Fortress aren't your modern books, they're the old-timey codexes that are ridiculously large (or boring scrolls on rollers). I'd imagine you could have meltable books though- you can bind books with gabbro if wanted. You could also bind books with slade, which being an incredibly special material with a density the core of the sun, to make fireproof books, probably. This all depends on whether the parchment is still considered a separate component inside of it (likely not).

Books also count as maces for dwarves and can be incredibly effective if you, say, produce bookbindings out of lead or other very dense materials.

(Lead will also melt in a simple grass fire by the way. Lead poisoning doesn't exist either, so feel free to make incredibly heavy cups for no other purpose than having lead drinking cups. Also living near lava causes fun stuff to happen, such as that merchant caravan that disintegrated.)

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
From the diary of Zulban Ablegigin, "IPA Regulations IV"

These dwarves will never cease to amaze me. From their strange ideas on life and property, to their truly bizarre notions on the inheritances of names and titles. It's been scarce months since I arrived and decided this place could be my home. But in that time I have gone from part of another lowly troupe entertaining the other visitors in that tavern which was so obviously connected via mechanisms to their magma pipes, to a fully fledged name of one of their recently dead. And that name was not originally his, either. For it had passed through another  - stemming from the a child who once scribbled grand plans for this fortress, to rid it forever of the fear of the undead outside.

For that is how names go here. Strange, is it not? And then beyond that they accept me as drinkboss in their innermost tavernhole
  - which is a position, I have come to learn, of utmost power in dwarven society.

It is just another thing that endears them to me. And I, in turn, will help them. In a goblin pit, for all its fumes and lack of appreciation for literature, you will find little grumbling and petty squabbles over mundanitites. Of course you will get the clan wars, the arenas, the bloodletting grounds where we purge the weak, the blood sacrifices to the Power and the odd casual knifing. But you will not find a goblin, docile and morose one minute, then leaping into a frenzied rage and attacking its own clan members because a picture it liked got taken down or it noticed the dead body of a loved one was peering up at them for an extended period. The difference is Order, strong Order. As I pour the fermented juices down their gullets, I will make them understand. 

The giant sighted on the horizon is none other than Eges Fragrancerenowned, the Competitive Strength. The Giant who thought himself a king. Legends tell us he has roamed the land and stolen royal relics since records began, with few daring to ever attempt to stop him. Perhaps after seeing what happened to the first elf who tried to stop him, word of mouth made even the most stalwart defender of their realm find other places to be when he approached.

Legends also told of his 'kings sceptre' - a magnificent silver maul which was too almost too weighty for even the largest man to wield, yet was held as but a glittering twig in the giants grip. That glorious weapon which was recorded in histories as Subtleshower, the Erasure of Quieting - the legends of its creation have always fascinated me.

What better weapon to represent our new dawn than this beauty, just as we forge our own hammers to pulp the undead scourge day and night inside?

The Giant can scarce know the value of what he brings to us even as he comes without thoughts of pillaging our treasures. Let him see our true strength. I plant the idea in the dwarves head like a seed and water it with plenty of booze.

They don't take long to come aboard. The trap room is emptied of magma for reuse on the towering creature.

I think the idea is to lure it in the old tavern room and unlock the hatches over the stairs to invite enemies in, then unlock the inner gate to kill them with a burst of magma. Let it be done, and then we can take Subtleshower once Eges is all burnt away. If the weapon is truly a worthy artifact it should survive. If not, then the stories were just stories. 

Eges wastes no time however showing what he is willing to do to those who oppose him. Frustrated that the fort is locked up tight, he catches a visiting peddler and dashes his head open with Subtleshowers.

The dwarves bitterly note this will likely affect our reputation with travelling salesdwarfs and therefore our leverage for trading in the future. Their ways can be charming, sometimes.

There is no shortage of leverage for the Giant, meanwhile, as more foolish scholars and entertainers continue to arrive.

We cannot risk losing more fighters at the moment to save those  foolish enough to linger outside our walls. We must wait for the trap to reset. Eges climbs the mountainside, increasingly desperate to find his way inside, and begins destroying floodgates near the lip of the volcano. 

Luckily for him there is no magma being held there currently. And lucky for us there is no direct stairway he can get to from there.

I go off see how work is progressing on the amenities I planned for the dwarves, when I hear a cry go up from the front gate. Eges is dead! Slain by a speardwarf on the plains. It seems just as he was getting a taste for killing all around him, he was felled by a knee wound. Already tired from climbing our volcano, the brute passed out and was put down for good with persistent jabs of a bronsze spear. Joyous news!

I order the side gate open. I wish to meet this dwarf in person. There were rumours of a werepanther sighting some weeks ago but nothing recent. It is worth the risk. Someone must also fetch the prize from the Ege's giant mangled corpse!

This is also just in time for the lonesome migrant that arrives this season - who was sighted coming around the slope of the volcano just after Eges was reported dead.

On top of this a veritable swarm of scholars, entertainers and merchants emerge from their hiding places across the undead ridden waste of our home and beeline for our door. Very well, come. You had best prove each as useful as the human lashers and  speardwarf!

One of them runs straight up to mayor gbuchold, babbling about some mouldy old tome brought here some years ago. 

The owner is by all accounts dead several years and also quite possibly more than once, and the book is not exactly a page turner by my estimates. Go ahead.

The original front gate and entryway has been out of use for some time. This fort was planned to be proud, with a wide hallways to accept caravans of goods to the depths, but this is all abandoned now in the face of necessity. We must prepare the fort to proudly face the outside one more, starting with a great stone gate to defend within.

Meanwhile it is time to impose some Order within. I only needed the briefest moment after seeing the look on TheCog's face after the maniac former lawdwarf Camoes got splattered all over the entry ramp to know they were the perfect replacement for her.

We need dwarves around here who are willing to do what is necessary. Fumbles has been causing great disturbances in the residential area, ranting about his carvings being destroyed during the recent project start. TheCog's first assignment is to deal with the troublemaker.

It is not long before she has the dwarf in custody and locks him up on charges brought last year some time. That should stop his idiotic rabble rousings.

While he is brought to jail, I hear that air is lava  has died in the hospital, succumbing to wounds sustained in a fistfight with the accused last week.

I make sure he hears about it.

Elsewhere, RBA_Starblade II keeps going into some sort of shock while passing over the new grates recently installed near the stairway. As it turns out, nobody bothered to move the corpse of habeusdorkus III before channeling out the drainage hole and placing a grate over him, and his mouldering corpse can now be seen by anyone who cares to look down on their way past the main stair.

(ground level)

(one level below)

Quite the opposite of the intended effect of this project. For I had planned to install here a self enclosed mist creating machine to improve moods, having heard of dwarven fondness for passing through mist clouds of plain water. Perhaps they absorb it through their skin - it certainly doesn't go in through their mouths often.

We do actually have coffins available - hopefully someone inters him soon, lest we endure corpse flavoured mist on top of everything else.

Hopefully claiming the silver maul Subtleshowers and putting on display for all to see will raise spirits. A pedestal is prepared in the entryway for the piece.

Hopefully that entices someone to go out and get it.

Again I hear grumbles in the tavern that Black Balloon is tantruming and disturbing the hard work of others. With a whisper in TheCog's ear, I expect the situation resolved momentarily.

Though not currently fighting or a danger to anybody, Black Balloon has been a persistent troublemaker. They could snap and hurt themselves or others at a moment's notice, possibly even killing someone!

TheCog makes the tough decision and promptly beats Black Balloon to death.

This captain of the guard choice looks more right with every passing minute!

However it's the close of the month and still nobody has retrieved the blasted maul. Some of the dwarves have gone outside but only retrieved socks or other baubles from the dead near the entryway. Any that have gone for Subtleshowers have run back, spooked by the sight of a reanimated elf corpse chewing on some sort of well-dressed visiting dwarf.

Apparently the elf corpse is toying with its food, and the cries of the noble are most distressing. I order some of the new military to deal with it. And they do, handily - though I'm alarmed at some of the grumbling from the order.

It's the end of the month and now I just need to get some dwarf drunk enough to go out and pull Subtleshowers from the giant's rotting corpse. Besides, it looks too battered to come back to life... at least, that's the pitch.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Nov 29, 2019

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
God, this fort keeps delivering the loving comedy. You prepare this wunderwaffen plan to take care of it and then the giant takes a nap and some random passersby stabs him in the head while he's sleeping until he dies.

And the loving corpse-under-the-grate, wonderful.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

There's uh, probably a few piles of corpses in the tombs sitting around outside of coffins. I could get them moved down there, but the dwarves seemed to take extremely low priority on burying the corpses. I wasn't expecting a corpse under the grate though. These people are really bad at handling corpses despite having spent years in an undead infested landscape.

I'd recommend getting a human of ours to train with that silver maul, provided we have one at our disposal. Human two-handed weaponry is very strong, and a silver maul is most appropriately heavy. The undead will be quite pulped. Though I don't know if we have any human, full-citizens, so that might be best used as a hallway ornament for now.

(I'll never get tired of Dwarf Fortress and its ability to make combat entirely unpredictable. A giant taken out with just a spear by a middling fighter, a scholar's boot through a forgotten beast's brain, all that and more when people should not be surviving any contact with these things.)

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

PurpleXVI posted:

God, this fort keeps delivering the loving comedy.

I personally liked TheCog's attitude after beating the absolute life out of a dwarf for the equivalent of a peaceful protest:

Also the social commentary that the popular engraver gets jailtime for killing someone while the farmer gets beat to death in custody for shouting a bit.

I'd recommend getting a human of ours to train with that silver maul, provided we have one at our disposal. Human two-handed weaponry is very strong, and a silver maul is most appropriately heavy. The undead will be quite pulped. Though I don't know if we have any human, full-citizens, so that might be best used as a hallway ornament for now.

I'm sure we have at least one! I'd like to see someone bashed with it for the good of the fort before all is said and done. I realised a dwarf probably couldn't wield it long after I decided to get it.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I seem to recall an off-site other than LP Archive that stored succession Fortresses, did I make that up? I see a few of the classics on LP Archives but some are missing too.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

the yeti posted:

I seem to recall an off-site other than LP Archive that stored succession Fortresses, did I make that up? I see a few of the classics on LP Archives but some are missing too.

Some of the longer running ones had their own sites, I think Bronzestabbed and Gemclod used to but I'm not sure they exist any more. Matul Remrit is on the archives anyway but also still has its own site. I have forums archives so I just read them on here; not all the images work any more but it's a DF thread, the graphics are irrelevant.

turol
Jul 31, 2017

IPA Regulations posted:

TheCog makes the tough decision and promptly beats Black Balloon to death.

This captain of the guard choice looks more right with every passing minute!

The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

turol posted:

The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Absolutely!

By the way I just want to say I did not influence this in any way apart from convicting the troublesome dwarfs on crimes they had committed. The Captain of the Guard makes the decision of the punishment to fit the crime. Both were marked 'Disorderly Conduct' and we had cells available so it's anyone's guess why TheCog decided to beat him rather than lock him up.

I have played the next episode but once again will take a little to write it up. Minor spoiler (good news): We made it to summer!. I probably will try make updates a bit shorter going forward and try pick out the major interesting/funny things.

But real quick I wanted go through a quick look I had at our new Captain of the Guard, TheCog - as I feel she'll probably have a good bit of screentime coming up.

She's 143 years old, but strong and agile. And her life - especially these last few years in our fortress - has been barbarically tough, as can be told from the scars adorning just about every part of her body, including a massive gash across her throat. Though short, you can imagine she strikes a pretty imposing figure. Currently it looks like all her fingers are broken, possibly from beating the life out of Black Balloon? Not so sure. Maybe it'll encourage her to use a cell next time.

She's also one of the few dwarfs who have been here nearly a decade but maintained a relatively healthy mental state. Make of that what you will.

What's even more interesting to me is what she's wearing. You might expect such a badass to be decked out in armour and weapons befitting her station, yet no...

We've had a lot of dwarfs making stone crafts (as a form of therapy, dwarfs get a happy thought from practicing crafts and a negative one being away from it too long), so I suppose there's a surplus of trinkets around.

Our captain of the guard is executing her duties in her regular clothes (which like all our dwarves are really showing wear, especially the shoes) but also a stone crown, a pair of stone bracelets, and a trio of amulets on her head.

Now, dwarves do have necks. So she could be wearing them there. And yet has chosen to wear them on her head, I guess. I choose to believe they are three little face amulets, and she's tucked them in to her crown on the back and sides of her head to convince the dwarves she has eyes in all directions.

Not one to gently caress with!

I'll probably have the update tomorrow.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 30, 2019

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
hell yeah

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

She wears a sizeable pile of jewellery on her head and that's your definition of a relatively healthy mental state?

I suppose it's at least a step up from wearing underpants on your head...

And I guess she doesn't want to wear anything around her neck so she can show off her wicked scars.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Black Robe posted:

She wears a sizeable pile of jewellery on her head and that's your definition of a relatively healthy mental state?

I suppose it's at least a step up from wearing underpants on your head...

And I guess she doesn't want to wear anything around her neck so she can show off her wicked scars.

We're talking about dwarves here- they'll run headfirst into a war between a dragon, a titan, and 3 different armies to get a poor quality sock off some dead guy. Head jewelry is the least of our problems.

And, yeah, gotta show off the scars- that'll show those performers what they'll be dealing with if they act in disorderly conduct.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 30, 2019

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
By chance... What the hell is my Dwarf doing?

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Felsite 574

In the end, it is LPzie II that claims Subtleshowers for Valleysilences. It is so large it takes her nearly a full day to drag it inside.

A perfect status piece, the storied maul was sure to attract even more visitors to the fortress. Many believe some rather fantastical stories around its origin.

Thus, glory seekers continue to arrive despite the chief export of the fortress being misery and werepanthers.

All those who wish to spill blood in the name of Valleysilences are welcome. Beware, all those who would go against us.

The new era of iron justice in the fortress gets tested early. A harmless fight between the children Petracore and WereVolvo takes a serious turn leaving the latter hurt - PetraCore probably has little grasp of the gravity of their actions, but let's hope they learn fast lest they end up learning from the Captain of the Guard's boot tip.

RBA_Starblade II once again goes into emotional shock, this time while washing herself off at the well. Maybe she didn't realise quite how covered in Camoe's blood she was - anybody passing through the main corridor recently while dwarves have been going insane and killing each other has gotten quite a covering, and they appear not to notice until washing it off in their little free time between hauling coffins and turning out work orders.

I am so tired of listening to some of these dwarves whine in the most piteous way. If the corpse of your loved one under the grate in the main hallway is so bothersome why not take some initiative and throw it into the magma like I ordered 2 weeks ago?

And now it's stink is choking everyone, so really your family has a lot to answer for.

There are a fair amount of dwarves in the fortress on the verge of mental collapse, with little hope of recovery barring some miracle. Some of whom are in valuable positions. idrenhur for example, a metalcrafter who has doubtless turned out some valuable silverworks in his time here.

The project started is nearly ready to breach into the water. As a precaution, a fortification is built which will filter out would-be invaders. Note in this image the dwarf CptViking has built himself on the wrong side of it, necessitating it to be torn down and rebuilt to stop him from drowning himself.

The entryway to the new water pipe is covered with an exquisite hatch made of dwarf bone - Stinthad Nekol, the Theatre of Skulls. As if the fortress needed another memento mori apart from the coffins and slabs filling every nook.

clockwork chaos is turning out some excellent crafts around this time. Art comes from pain - he is one of the dwarves on light/crafts duty due to his fragile mental state. Hopefully he can hold it together.

A mercenary pledges their sword to Valleysilences, again accepted without too much fanfare.

The dwarf seems rather stony. Hopefully they continue to handle themselves well.

In contrast the human axeman that joined us earlier is quite godly and aloof. Perhaps fancying themselves a paladin from the story books.

You are a long way from your gods here, human.

Fumbles is already out and about - time served after barely a month. Dwarven justice is a fickle edifice, for sure.

The memorial hall is coming along. Engraved slabs line the walls. Camoes and the human dragonslayer 'Bard' are interred side by side with honour.

Water is breached in an attempt to get it to where it can prime the mist generator for the stairway with no losses. Dwarves seemed happy for the excuse to splash around in the surface ponds a little and wash some of the caked blood off themselves.

More entertainers petition for residency.

I am starting to deny these bards and minstrels clogging our taverns. They have proved little use save to eat our vittles, although some have proved useful punching bags when required.

What say the dwarves of Valleysilences? Do we keep allowing all comers or only those who intend to fight for us?

I forgot last time to introduce So Math III, another human axeman:

Foul Ole Ron posted:

By chance... What the hell is my Dwarf doing?

You're doing ok, you are pretty unhappy but not at problem levels yet. Like a lot of dwarves you are mostly sad about not praying to your gods. I need to set time aside next month and figure out if we have temples to all the gods available.

All your skills are in farming but you recently got drafted into mining to speed some things up.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 1, 2019

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

I'm for bringing in more useless performers unless our food stocks are particularly drained. When/If a beast or a dragon gets inside the fortress, they'll draw the ire of any beasts while our real civilians can move and hide.

I wonder what great creature is coming next to challenge the mountain.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I'm for bringing in more useless performers unless our food stocks are particularly drained. When/If a beast or a dragon gets inside the fortress, they'll draw the ire of any beasts while our real civilians can move and hide.

You also never know, maybe things would have been irrecoverably dire, mental state wise, without all the bards and other performers.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

PurpleXVI posted:

You also never know, maybe things would have been irrecoverably dire, mental state wise, without all the bards and other performers.

It's possible. It's hard to tell how much things are affecting mood, but I know at least 33% of workforce was listening to stories during my time and people were getting "interested by" mood buffs.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Cheers for letting me know, glad I'm still alive through all the madness.

Farming has its merits.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

PurpleXVI posted:

That's actually a good point. All right more bards.

Also listening to bad performances has a negative effect.

If it wasn't such a pain we could probably find out which visiting performers are bad by the appearance of 'bored by' thoughts in their audience, and have them thrown into magma.

Help, I'm getting ideas for Dwarf Idol.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

IPA Regulations posted:

Do it.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I learned it from watching yooooooou!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

IPA Regulations posted:

If it wasn't such a pain we could probably find out which visiting performers are bad by the appearance of 'bored by' thoughts in their audience, and have them thrown into magma.

You know considering the dwarves you'd figure they'd just haul off and smack the poo poo out of sufficiently bad performers.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

IPA Regulations posted:

Look for the ones with awful stats in performance skills.

I'm up for Dwarf Idol. If there's a rendition of "I Need a Hero" based on Geshud, you've got my vote. That, and well, anything by Elvish Presley or Roy Orthoclase.

peo
Sep 7, 2003

It's easier to club baby seals.
If you aren't too busy, would you mind giving me an idea of what's going on with my dwarf please?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
poo poo this is still going? Well hell. I'll take a redorfing please. Military if at all possible. Not terribly thrilled with vanishing in the great update of 'humans attacked and dwarves died. No im not going to tell you who died or how. anyway building'

Fuubi
Jan 18, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What's up with my dorf child? How's he handling everyday life at Valleysilences?

WereVolvo
Jan 12, 2011
"Fun" is not a design goal.

PetraCore posted:

I learned it from watching yooooooou!

Vengeance shall be mine :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Hematite 574

The first month of summer begins with a frank look at the mental state of some of the unhappiest dwarves – those who remained so thoroughly miserable that they were dangerous to others, despite the recent efforts to lift spirits.

”Those that will not follow, must move aside. One way or another.”

Any of them currently in are removed from military duty, which should also have the happy coincidence of disarming them (though dwarves are famously inclined to keep their weapons as ‘souvenirs’ of their service).

A special case is BrotherBuer. He has put his life on the line many times facing down against the undead scourge outside.

But it has cost him everything - he is a broken dwarf. His strong reactions to death make him unfit for long term soldiery, yet the only joy he gets from life is through honing his weapon skills. If this is taken from him, he will have nothing left.

Surely the fort can find a way to honour its heroes while also keeping them from murdering their fellows? He could train recruits, but that would involve him handling weapons every day, around grouped up soft targets...

However, the necromancer tower to the west has been a source of fascination in the fortress for some time. Some of the more outlandish tales even say it is occupied by a band of dwarves. We shall send BrotherBuer to find out the truth of this.

Long live Valleysilences! And the Victorious Days, our new retirement/expeditionary force.

"Tell the necromancer to come stand in the shadow of our wang, if he dare!"

Brother Buer begins to prepare for his journey.

Rutile has been blowing off some steam sparring with haifisch, the pair of them wielding adamantine battle axes. Surely a sight to stir up the new recruits.

"8th of Hematite

There is a cry from the gate. What now, Giants? Dragons?

Elves? Oh."

Volmarias II, working outside, spots some elves skulking on the slope above the entryway and flees off to the plains. Just a small band. Nothing the military can't handle. The squads are assembled.

As well as Volmarias II, we have Dirt5o8 and stratego outside.

"9th of Hematite

Two other dwarfs are also sounding alarms of elves descending form the slope above us. Surely they have been huffing the fumes from the colossus' magma pipe. They are far from the entrance Volmarias II reported. If it were all true, it would mean the entire fortress exterior would be covered with... hundreds... of elves.

x 15 or so...

Oh.

Lock the doors."

So I actually had a much longer, better written update that dipped into the siege start but just as I was doing a final check I clicked a link like a dummy and the post got eaten. So have this shorter update instead! We will get to the juicy bits next time.

For those that requested updates on specific dwarves or redwarfings, it won't be done until next game month at this stage as I've already played ahead - that is, if Valleysilences is not an elvish forest retreat by then! Not bloody likely.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 2, 2019