Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
me, showing up to the first day of Civil Engineering 5760, Advanced Structural Dynamics II: deadass fam who we dragging today 🤣🤣🤣

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

T-man posted:

cis people suck at podcasting, im sorry to tell u

well this is weird, i stopped by this thread to drop this leslie post where he owns a lovely blogger for making fun of his concerns, as a black male, about the retconning of a fascist character in the watchmen tv show. turns out trans people can be racist and have bad opinions too, who would have guessed.

idiot OP here:

https://twitter.com/EstherOnFilm/status/1199475280047484928?s=19

leslie is in the re0lies, his best post here:

https://twitter.com/leslieleeiii/status/1199801775181750273?s=19

gh0stpinballa has issued a correction as of 12:33 on Nov 28, 2019

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think it's pretty messed up when people making jokes about x minority being the best one. the trans comment from tman is just another flavor of the black woman magic thing and its reactionary and bad even if you're ironically parodying the racist liberals that came up with it. imo anyway

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

gh0stpinballa posted:

well this is weird, i stopped by this thread to drop this leslie post where he owns a lovely blogger for making fun of his concerns, as a black male, about the retconning of a fascist character in the watchmen tv show. turns out trans people can be racist and have bad opinions too, who would have guessed.

idiot OP here:

https://twitter.com/EstherOnFilm/status/1199475280047484928?s=19

leslie is in the re0lies, his best post here:

https://twitter.com/leslieleeiii/status/1199801775181750273?s=19

I think this one is key:

https://twitter.com/leslieleeiii/status/1199936277224792065

I'm also pretty sure that Hooded Justice in the original comic is explicitly a German immigrant. also a circus strongman.

all I can think of now is that Punisher arc where for ~reasons~ Frank Castle goes all Black Like Me and hangs out with Luke Cage:

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i liked the watchmen ep but its completely insane in context with the comic. lots of funny bad tweets on the way as the season concldues i hope

Farm Frenzy has issued a correction as of 17:32 on Nov 28, 2019

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Watchmen makes about as much sense as anything else these days which makes it perfect

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Larry Parrish posted:

i think it's pretty messed up when people making jokes about x minority being the best one. the trans comment from tman is just another flavor of the black woman magic thing and its reactionary and bad even if you're ironically parodying the racist liberals that came up with it. imo anyway

It's also pretty clearly a joke being made by a trans person shut the gently caress up

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
tman chucking dynamite into chapo hq, perforating nick mullen with a machine gun as stav laughs and adam weeps over the gravy train ending

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Shakenbaker posted:

I'm also pretty sure that Hooded Justice in the original comic is explicitly a German immigrant. also a circus strongman.

So technically it's all just second-hand accounts making their way to Hollis Mason's autobiography, which introduces some amount of doubt to the question, which the show pounces on.

e: just re-read it and there's at least one first-hand account from Hollis that Hooded Justice admired the Third Reich, I was thinking of the show's supplemental material that doesn't even TRY to go into why that would be

ElNarez has issued a correction as of 16:36 on Nov 28, 2019

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Lindelof obviously changed HJ from the comic while trying to keep a lot of the elements, which is fine, it's a comic book. Lindelof showing how individual insurrectionism will get co-opted and neutralized along with the throughline between the Klan, Nazis, American police, the CIA and the Halls of power is an incredibly accurate and well done metaphor for actual American history. Lindelof acknowledges the autobiographical account of HJ is inaccurate in the show through the in-universe HJ tv show.

Leslie's take is contrived because he was talking mad poo poo and had his mind made up before the first ep was even out.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

the good news is that criticizing katie halper for cross-talk is not sexist, the bad news is it's anti-semitic

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
just so we're all on the same page, this is the totality of how Watchmen the show tries to make sense of that whole thing, from the supplemental material

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ElNarez posted:

just so we're all on the same page, this is the totality of how Watchmen the show tries to make sense of that whole thing, from the supplemental material

So it doesn't then

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Leslie is right, as loathe as I am to say it

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Politely asking for a tl;dr for someone who doesn't keep up with premium cable

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

OctoberCountry posted:

Politely asking for a tl;dr for someone who doesn't keep up with premium cable

the show is succ

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

me listening to premium cable discourse: whatever man, poo poo is boring who cares

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Original comic: all superheroes derive from the KKK, they're bad and reinforce fascist ideology no matter how hard they try to do otherwise, that's the point.

New TV show: well ACTUALLY they derive from a gay black guy who was reappropriating the symbols of the KKK to fight back, so they could totally be good and save the unwashed masses from themselves IF ONLY they could be a little more woke about it.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Please note that I have not watched and will not watch the Watchmen.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

sleeptalker posted:

Please note that I have not watched and will not watch the Watchmen.

People I trust hAve watch it and have kept me posted and that sounds roughly accurate

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
lindelof is great writing about grief and daddy issues and that is the complete list

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Here's something new to laugh at

https://twitter.com/TheLonelyPhoton/status/1199927525469806592?s=19

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

so much of liberal pop culture discussion today seems like vulgar gramscianism

no i have not read gramsci, do not correct me on this

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Oh poo poo it's friend of the pod Noah "I wrote a book about how mad I am at Chapo" Berlatsky

https://twitter.com/moodlessss/status/1199934622613811200?s=19

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

so much of liberal pop culture discussion today seems like vulgar gramscianism

no i have not read gramsci, do not correct me on this

- much liberal pop culture discussion today

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Obscure 60s continuity broke me but this one gives me life

https://twitter.com/theofficialword/status/1199957764249808897?s=19

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

mclast posted:

lindelof is great writing

Oh lord, no

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

sleeptalker posted:

Original comic: all superheroes derive from the KKK, they're bad and reinforce fascist ideology no matter how hard they try to do otherwise, that's the point.

New TV show: well ACTUALLY they derive from a gay black guy who was reappropriating the symbols of the KKK to fight back, so they could totally be good and save the unwashed masses from themselves IF ONLY they could be a little more woke about it.

in the show the gay black man becomes a cop to try to fight back against the Klan and finds out the police Dept is ran by cops and Nazis and only brought him on as a superficial move to look less racist, he becomes jaded by this and tries to take justice into his own hands by becoming a vigilante after the racist cops almost murder him, he starts to have sucess but can't defeat the mass conspiracy by himself

then he gets conned into joining the minutemen by Cpt metropolis with the promise he will use their resources to fight the massive Klan/Nazi conspiracy, but after his joining is finalized he's betrayed by him/them while they use his image to sell advertising for banks

edit: HJs outfit is the noose and black mask the kkk/Nazi cops use to almost murder him immediately before he becomes HJ knowing that he won't get justice as a cop, which happens after he tried to report a Nazi for torching a Jewish deli and the cops let him go as he's part of their racist secret society

Ace of Baes has issued a correction as of 17:21 on Nov 28, 2019

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

sleeptalker posted:

I feel like the show wants to make the wider point of "superheroes are wish fulfillment for the angry and the afraid and as such they're particularly vulnerable to getting co-opted by white supremacy, which has always been the structuring force of American power", which tries to account for the fact the early Superman stories were about beating up domestic abusers, corrupt senators and bad landlords.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Lindelof is a master and the Leftovers was one of the best shows of the past decadd

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ElNarez posted:

I feel like the show wants to make the wider point of "superheroes are wish fulfillment for the angry and the afraid and as such they're particularly vulnerable to getting co-opted by white supremacy, which has always been the structuring force of American power", which tries to account for the fact the early Superman stories were about beating up domestic abusers, corrupt senators and bad landlords.

Golden Age Superman whipped rear end

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Hell yeah he is. The Leftovers was incredible and Watchmen has been fantastic so far (and he went full squid).

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

watchmen is a story about why superheroes are bad and hbo watchmen is a story about Society with superheroes in it

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

ElNarez posted:

Okay but does it offer any hint of a way out besides "HIRE 👏 MORE 👏 POC 👏 SUPERHEROES 👏"?

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

sleeptalker posted:

Okay but does it offer any hint of a way out besides "HIRE 👏 MORE 👏 POC 👏 SUPERHEROES 👏"?

maybe watch the actual show, it's a huge critique on liberal woke co-option and representation in a clearly repressive/fascist system

HJ ends up murdering the present day racist chief of police

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Doc Hawkins posted:

the good news is that criticizing katie halper for cross-talk is not sexist, the bad news is it's anti-semitic

wake me up!

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

sleeptalker posted:

I feel like the answer isn't the masked cops running a blacksite, but depending on how the last episodes go, it might be the drug that makes you learn the history of white supremacy in America and/or the crimes of the American Empire.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

sleeptalker posted:

it doesnt offer any hints of anything because its a mystery box turd but it does have POC superheroes and everything is still poo poo. its well made even though its got morons at the helm. the articles are making it sound didactically woke when it really has much more of a confused cynical gen x lib perspective

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Ace of Baes posted:

maybe watch the actual show

How dare you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Ace of Baes posted:

maybe watch the actual show

But just doing hot takes based on what everyone is saying about it wastes a lot less time and money.