Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

My first nation was Manchu but it was a long time since they were available at the start. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Poil posted:

My first nation was Manchu but it was a long time since they were available at the start. :v:

Jianzhou is still pretty easy, but perhaps not the best for beginners.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think France is a great starter country because your immediate goal is completely obvious, and by the time you're done clearing up your back yard you're well positioned to do just about anything you want.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Sinteres posted:

I think France is a great starter country because your immediate goal is completely obvious, and by the time you're done clearing up your back yard you're well positioned to do just about anything you want.

I tried to get my brother into the game a couple years ago with this argument. He took a 5 second look at all the menus, asked me who he should attack, and truce broke against England before 1444 was over. The coalition war against him was pretty hilarious.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

I'm going to throw out a suggestion for a starter nation that people are going to go 'what, that's crazy you idiot' but hear me out: Timurids.

Yes you're going to have disloyal vassals in very short order and you might implode. But all you have to do is attack Ajam ASAP and gobble up all your cores. Your vassals can't declare independence while you're at war, and after the war your balance of power with your vassals is much better.

Just win that one war, which happens in like the second month of the game so if you're going to screw it up you'll have screwed it up fast and can quickly restart.

After that it's smooth sailing. You can insta-annex like 3 of the vassals once 50 years passes. Eventually form Mughals, one of the best tags, and conquer in all directions. Great mission tree, great ideas, perfectly located to expand into India, the Middle East, or go exploring (or do all of that)

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

A lot of folks just start with castille and watch a tutorial youtube. That's what I did anyway and now I've got like 1440+ hours or whatever

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

there are no good beginner countrys because eu4 is hostile to beginners. Bets idea is to get drunk then multiplayer it up as like,,, idk Scotland and Ireland and help each other take down perfidious Albion before betraying eachother

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I taught a few friends and imp Zone posters by playing multiplayer together. It's a fun way when you have a safety net.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I tried to do this for CK2 to teach my friends but....let's just say CK2 multiplayer is not kind netcode wise. :negative:

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
CK2 just doesn't flow well for multiplayer.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yeah but I figured it'd be better to teach them with me there to help them out in wars instead of sitting in comms and just answering the many, many, many questions a new player has with CK2.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Average Bear posted:

CK2 just doesn't flow well for multiplayer.

At least the stability has vastly improved. We're 3 sessions into a 10-14 player game in Mapgoons and we've had exactly none issues, we did feel speed 2 is the only reasonable one though because of popup spam but happily you can reduce most of it with filters.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
the real problem with ck2 multiplayer is that it's just however many people playing the same game of ck2 then, you know, doing anything together really.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Gamerofthegame posted:

the real problem with ck2 multiplayer is that it's just however many people playing the same game of ck2 then, you know, doing anything together really.

I used multiplayer to teach a friend to play CK2 by answering his questions while simultaneously assassinating and seducing my way through his entire court to see how long it would take before he noticed.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I mean the good thing with CK2 is you can have a learning friend as a vassal without it really impeding them or you in any particularly negative manner as well.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

It's been a couple seconds since I played victoria so please someone help me figure out where my money is going. I'm definitely losing money; the part in the top menu is the one that's accurate. It's the children tooltip and budget screen that are wrong.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
looks like you're buying lots of stuff for the national stockpile. are you building armies/navies/factories?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I had queued a shitload of forts and then forgot about it because the market had somehow run out of explosives. That must have been it! thanks

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I believe that projected daily balance is going forward. Your daily balance listed is down because you bought £2567 in stockpile goods the previous day. The goods you will buy/stockpile depend on what you are currently building and if you have the money you usually end up buying it all upfront, so the game can't accurately predict what you will spend on goods except for the ones required for military/factory maintenance.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Yeah my problem was that the breakdown of the current day balance had the wrong math. I only have 300 hours in this game though so it's very possible I'm missing something.

That was not irony.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Spend less on candles!

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Senior Dog posted:

It's been a couple seconds since I played victoria so please someone help me figure out where my money is going. I'm definitely losing money; the part in the top menu is the one that's accurate. It's the children tooltip and budget screen that are wrong.

Have you tried returning tariffs to 0, subsidies can be screwy

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Senior Dog posted:

My economy basically went from +500 to -1200 after having the libs elected to powers in germany. Gonna go over the game later. Hopefully it's just like you and it's a sudden onset of buy orders that went through for some reason. Hopefully my economy survives "laissez-faire"

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

RabidWeasel posted:

Spend less on candles!

NEVER!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Ricky > V2

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Has anyone here ever beaten UK's industrial score with any other country? In all my time playing Vicky I still haven't accomplished this

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

VostokProgram posted:

Has anyone here ever beaten UK's industrial score with any other country? In all my time playing Vicky I still haven't accomplished this

I think I did in my communist mega-Germany game but that save is long gone

granted it probably helped that England spent the last 40 years of the game constantly at civil war

feller
Jul 5, 2006

VostokProgram posted:

i did it in both ricky and vicky 2 as ottomans, but it was because i conquered most of russia

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
I managed to do it with India once in Vic1.

Bengal was an overpopulated industrial hellscape in that game, holy poo poo.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
Beating them on population is probably the only way, if you industrialize say China you'll have workers lining up faster than you can build factories. So you can eventually catch up to England and then pass them once they don't have people to work on new factories.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I was messing with the game once (If you use the console to spam inventions, the buffs stack untill you reload the game, at which point that removes "duplicate" buffs)

I did pop growth and literacy for a little while - with Pop Growth you eventually hit an exponential mass where you can reload and everything still grows ridiculously as you now have 1-2m people in random high province life rating places like Moscow or something, and they migrate out slower than they grow.

Either way it has a ridiculous effect on people wanting to work in factories - I stopped paying attention to industrial score when it was in the 5 digits before synthetic dyes. It was a good reminder of why every mod wants to ruin china being playable for a human being anyway.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

VostokProgram posted:

Yeah, if you manage to industrialize early as China, you can easily do it.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Or you can dismantle their empire and enjoy the whole island being a revolving door of revolutions.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Isn't every revolving door a door of revolutions

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

How well do Paradox's current titles work on 4K displays? I'm not worried about framerate, but more about whether UI elements can be scaled nicely.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Crusader Kings 2 and Stellaris work well. Mind you, even in Stellaris they sometimes break new UI element by not adapting them to UI scaling and so you may get misplaced tooltips and such. HoI4 I didn't play that much but I noticed that even after years of patching some tooltips are just missing when you're in UI scaling mode. Mostly works OK otherwise.

EU4 has hidden experimental scaling support and they bringing up an official one later. It doesn't look or work well. Functional, but you'll have a lot of broken tooltips and scaling doesn't seem to use a good filter.

Imperator worked perfectly well on release. It is possible that it's worse after they've reworked a lot of UI in last two patches, it happened with other Paradox games, but I think they've learned their lessons there.

Really it's strange how problematic UI scaling is in strategy games. Total War only started doing it properly in Three Kingdoms, Warhammer 2 is basically unplayable for me if I try to enable UI scaling.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
I need more content designers for CK3! We've had the occasional goon success story in the past, so if you think you have what it takes (and don't mind relocating to Stockholm) please give it a shot: https://career.paradoxplaza.com/jobs/784482-content-designer-crusader-kings-iii

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
You can buy elk and reindeer meat in Sweden, pro country!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Party In My Diapee posted:

Or you can dismantle their empire and enjoy the whole island being a revolving door of revolutions.

Pro move is to play France and just storm every available man woman and child over the channel ASAP. Then you liberate India.