Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Scud Hansen posted:

Anybody know how long I can keep miso pickled vegetables safely in the fridge?

I have a recipe for miso pickled garlic that says 6 months. But that's just for garlic. I would imagine it varies for different vegetables? I recently pickled a bunch of snap peas, carrots, daikon. I've had them in the fridge for about 3 months or so. They tasted really good and I didn't die. Just have not found any definitive answer about max fridge time.

Unless you can see or smell something obviously wrong with them sufficiently salty pickles (which any miso pickle recipe I've ever seen should be) are going to start tasting bad long before they become actually dangerous, especially if you're keeping them in the fridge.

Waci fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Scud Hansen posted:

Anybody know how long I can keep miso pickled vegetables safely in the fridge?

I have a recipe for miso pickled garlic that says 6 months. But that's just for garlic. I would imagine it varies for different vegetables? I recently pickled a bunch of snap peas, carrots, daikon. I've had them in the fridge for about 3 months or so. They tasted really good and I didn't die. Just have not found any definitive answer about max fridge time.

It would be a lot easier to answer this question if you posted the recipe

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I use my instant pot to cook rice. I do 1-2 cups, 1:1 ratio for water, cook on high about 4 minutes and let the pressure naturally release. It is mostly good but tends to come out a bit dry and clumpy. To get moist, fluffy rice, should I increase my water ratio, cut the cook time, quick release pressure after a shorter natural period, combination thereof or something else?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

The ratio should be 1:1.25 for the first cup and then 1:1 as you add, so 2:2.25, 3:3.25, and so on.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 26, 2019

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Anyone got a nice thing to do with turkey tenderloins? It’s just me and my dog this thanksgiving, so rather than cooking a whole turkey or even just a turkey breast, I’m doing something with tenderloins.

Def going to brine them, but what then? Simplest thing is to salt/pepper/roast them, but I’m curious if there are other options? The general meal will be semi-traditional with dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy and rolls.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I just got a massive bag of jalapenos that are on their way out, what do?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Zenithe posted:

Roast, peel, deseed, freeze.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Zenithe posted:

Pickle them with garlic.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Zenithe posted:

Pepper jelly

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Dry them in the oven and make chilli oil

LunarCress
Feb 7, 2015

Is it okay to use a turkey that was stuffed for stock? My mom heard that if you don't get all the stuffing out of it, then it could be poisonus.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

LongSack posted:

Anyone got a nice thing to do with turkey tenderloins? It’s just me and my dog this thanksgiving, so rather than cooking a whole turkey or even just a turkey breast, I’m doing something with tenderloins.

Def going to brine them, but what then? Simplest thing is to salt/pepper/roast them, but I’m curious if there are other options? The general meal will be semi-traditional with dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy and rolls.

I'd definitely roll them in herbs/lemon zest/red pepper and then sear before finishing in the oven

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

LunarCress posted:

Is it okay to use a turkey that was stuffed for stock? My mom heard that if you don't get all the stuffing out of it, then it could be poisonus.

Bread doesn't turn turkey into poison

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

LunarCress posted:

There's a few common misconceptions here.

1. It was a ham sandwich, not turkey

2. While she did die eating the sandwich, poisoning was not Mama Cass' cause of death

LunarCress
Feb 7, 2015

Does the fact that the turkey was cooked two days ago, and I was only able to strip all the meat off it today affect anything?

I've just been keeping it in the oven at room temperature. Would it be ok to leave it til tomorrow, or should I try to get to it tonight?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

A while back, I followed thread wisdom and started saving onion, carrot, and chicken scraps in the freezer for stock. I'm going to make a batch soon and this will be the first time I've used scraps, and only the second time I've made stock at all. Is this one of those times when I can just throw it all in the pressure cooker and expect a decent result, or do I need to measure what I have for scraps and top them off to some minimum set of ingredients? I have a few onion chunks, a decent amount of carrots, a bunch of chicken wingtips, some thighbones, and at least one bone-in breast that's been in the freezer long enough that I may as well use it for stock.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

LunarCress posted:

Does the fact that the turkey was cooked two days ago, and I was only able to strip all the meat off it today affect anything?

I've just been keeping it in the oven at room temperature. Would it be ok to leave it til tomorrow, or should I try to get to it tonight?

You've had a cooked turkey in a room temperature oven for 2 days and you want to make stock out of it?

Throw that poo poo out.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You don't really need to measure. Just be careful with the carrots, those are sweet and too many of them will make the stock gross. Toss it all in the pot and don't add too much water, enough to cover is plenty.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

LunarCress posted:

Thanks for breaking the news to me that I actually died in childhood and am about to wink out of existence!

(It's fine)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

LunarCress posted:

Throw it away, don't use it for stock.

2 days at room temp sitting out is not something you want to do with uncured meat.

LunarCress
Feb 7, 2015

Thanks for the advice, next time I'll be quicker breaking it down. This christmas I'll take a mulligan on this venture.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You don't have to break it down immediately as long as you put it in the fridge. Put it in the fridge within 2 hours and then you can pick it a day or two later.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
No real question. I just wanted to bitch about pie crust. I did two test crusts with mini pies this weekend, thought I had it figured out. hosed up my plain crust for my apple pie earlier today and have a second crust in the fridge now (but I switched it up and included veg shortening this time). This is very quickly shaping up to be one of those things what would've been several times cheaper to just buy from the store (granted most of the cost came from spices, maple syrup, and cocoa powder I got for the pumpkin pie which all went fairly well so far).

This is my first time make pie and it's just confirming my belief that I'm complete poo poo at baking. I need to go back to bringing savory sides.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Baking involves more technical precision in timing and measurements than cooking in general, and pie crust is kind of a pain even compared to simpler pastries since you want it to both hold its shape and not get soggy from the filling. What kind of recipe were you using and how were you baking the crust?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Waci posted:

Baking involves more technical precision in timing and measurements than cooking in general, and pie crust is kind of a pain even compared to simpler pastries since you want it to both hold its shape and not get soggy from the filling. What kind of recipe were you using and how were you baking the crust?

The one that went tits up was supposed to be enough for a double crust

2.5 cups of AP flour
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup frozen cubed butter
~1/2 cup chilled butter

I blind baked it for 20 minutes with pie weights, 10 minutes without, at 350 F. It was super greasy after the blind bake to the point where there was butter pooling at the bottom. The bottom of the dough ended up thin and crispy like an overly greasy cheezit.

I just rolled out a dough that was 12 TBSP butter, 3 cups AP flour, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp sugar, 1/3 cup veg shortening.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Are you docking your crust before baking it?
It's simply just repeatedly poking the bottom of the crust after it's in the pie pan before baking with a fork so any steam that builds up beneath it while baking has a way to escape.
Also let the crust rest in the pan in the fridge for an hour or so before baking.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Pie crust is a skill.

You'll be confident around pie 100. You'll be actually good at it around 500.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Thumposaurus posted:

Are you docking your crust before baking it?
It's simply just repeatedly poking the bottom of the crust after it's in the pie pan before baking with a fork so any steam that builds up beneath it while baking has a way to escape.
Also let the crust rest in the pan in the fridge for an hour or so before baking.

I normally keep my docking to the bedroom :fap:

But yeah, I was docking the crust after taking the pie weights out.

EDIT: Also, yeah, dough went into the fridge for an hour after mixing, rolled it out, got it into a pyrex pie pan, then into the freezer for 10-15 minutes and then the blind baking.

captkirk fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Nov 28, 2019

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Turkey question:

I preheated the oven to 500 with a baking steel in the bottom, following the guide on Serious Eats, put the turkey in and immediately turned it down to 300.

That was 2 hours ago, and my thermometers are telling me it is done?!

This is a 27lb bird, is 2 hours in a 300F convection oven really all it needs? The skin isn't even brown, although it is crisp.

E: repositioned the thermometers and the breast is at 140 and thighs at 118(!)

So I guess it needs more time :v:

Annath fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 28, 2019

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Make sure your thermometers aren't touching bone.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Now it's been 3.5 hours and the breast is at 160 and thighs at 145. Not sure if I should pull it now and have undercooked thighs, or leave it and have overcooked breast.

Leaning toward pulling it since most of the family only eats breast anyway.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Made fried buttermilk chicken last night, they turned out pretty terribly. I hosed up the seasonings, but it was okayish. What really screwed things up was putting them on a paper towel to dry, so they sorta steamed and got really soggy and oily. I fried them in oil that was around 170-180c, a few minutes each side, and didn't overcrowd. When the coating was golden brown, I took them out. Is the oil not hot enough, or did the steaming on paper towels make them seem oilier than they were? I tenderised the meat with a meat hammer beforehand so they were all uniform thickness, so I wasn't too worried about frying it for a short amount of time.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Skin split, but it still looks good!

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
That seems a little low. In Celsius, I’d shoot more for 190 to put the chicken in, and don’t put so much chicken in that it falls below 170.

The paper towels are probably the bigger issue, though. You want a cooling rack set over a baking sheet to get it perfect.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Turkey chat: whole bird is overrated. Quarter (or third, leaving beasts together but removing backbone for stock) then roast and pull from oven when each bit is done.

53 minute mark for plating:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brAJ7pEudFU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Question for those more experienced with cheesecake making - is there a good way to keep my swirl cheesecakes from cracking? I've tried all the usual methods, room temp eggs/cream cheese, as little beating as possible to keep air from getting in, having the springform sit in a pan filled with water to help even out the cooking, etc.

Generally I do a blackberry swirl with just smashed blackberries, some brown sugar, some cornstarch, and strain to get the seeds out so it's a bit syrupy when I mix it in but man, I just can't get a good smooth top. Not that it really matters since it tastes great either way but I still feel a little embarrassed whenever it happens, especially if I'm cooking for others.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I'm not an expert, but can you let the mixture sit after pouring into your pan? That might let the air pockets escape.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
A water bath helps with the cracking. I never bother with one; I just treat the crack as an opportunity for some extra fresh fruit garnish before serving :)

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Pan filled water is a great first step, because cracking custard means over-cooking. Many recipes require balancing on a knife edge between soup and overcooked. Try lower oven temperature and pull it when the center 1/3 still jiggles but the rest is set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
does anyone have a suggested approach for guava ice cream made from a batch of fresh guavas? i've never really made any flavors other than chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry. i'm thinking of scooping out the seeds and pulp and then blending skin and flesh into a puree, then tossing that into my standard ice cream base, but i'm wondering if it would be better to reduce everything to a slightly jam-y consistency before hitting it with an immersion blender. searching online doesn't come up with any recipes that inspire great confidence