Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

I played Wavelength at BGG Con and that's probably going to be my go-to party game for a while; two teams take turns guessing at where a concept their teammate comes up with would land on a concealed dial that represents the spectrum between two extremes on a drawn card; e.g. one card was "best era to time travel to" and "worst era", someone spins the dial, then names an era or year or whatever that should clue their team in on where the dial landed. Pretty simple but ends up being a good time, at least when we were all loaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
The answer to what should six slightly buzzed people play is Junk Art, Wavelength, Codenames and the Resistance imho.

Edit: the key decision between wavelength and Codenames imho is do you want the clue giver to rotate.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 26, 2019

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Unless they're very very specific people, in which case team NT.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Well I conjured up an amazon gift card out of thin air and managed to convince the boyfriend that gloomhaven is in fact worth it. Thank u all

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

jmzero posted:

The original Exit games were ambitious, but had large problems. The new ones are bland and easy, with maybe one passable puzzle per box. The Unlock games are consistently OK, but some of the new ones get a bit lost in their gimmicks (eg. augmented reality on your smartphone).

I played all the Exit games except the beginner-level ones and the puzzles felt consistently good and interesting.

discount cathouse fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 26, 2019

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Control Volume posted:

Well I conjured up an amazon gift card out of thin air and managed to convince the boyfriend that gloomhaven is in fact worth it. Thank u all

But wait! There’s more!

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1726878/yss-yet-another-storage-solution/page/1

This plus the app really makes setup/cleanup a lot easier if you value having space on your table during the week

Fellis fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 26, 2019

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Taboo is good for six while drinking.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

cenotaph posted:

Taboo is good for six while drinking.

I have telestrations to fit that particular niche, because unlike most games, it gets better the drunker you are

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

discount cathouse posted:

I played all the Exit games except the beginner-level ones and the puzzles felt consistently good and interesting.

Yeah same I haven’t had a bad Exit game yet, so not sure what problems they’re talking about.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Control Volume posted:

Thinking of other games, does anyone have a challenging but not unfairly difficult coop game for 3 people? I was considering buying Robinson Crusoe ha ha ha ha ha

I know Spirit Island is a common suggestion but Im trying to see what else is out there for coop

Did literally none of you suggest Space Alert? Has the thread truly fallen this far?

If you're uninitiated, Space Alert is a real time oh-the-humanity simulator where you try to fend off aliens, meteors, and the cruelty of God in just ten actual physical minutes of frenzied programming and three stooges elevator collisions, while a CD-player robot with the soothing, dulcet tones of a cheese grater in a box fan calmly tells you that you have four minutes until an amorous space squid attempts to vigorously mate with your ship.

It's the joys of soviet engineering *and* vacuum decompression, finally together at last. It's a Samuel Beckett tragicomedy in a box. Space Alert is still, and I quote, "the most fun you can have with a table that doesn't involve cake or lubricant." (Broken Loose lives on in all our hearts.) Play Space Alert.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah but it's so much better at 5...

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

3 is still great - you can play just fine with a robot and attempt with abject futility to shift all blame towards it when you “forget” that Alice is already using the goddamn loving elevator on turn 3

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Space Alert also has the honor of having one of the best board game reviews of all time https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R5fHzYtuHBA

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gutter Owl posted:

Did literally none of you suggest Space Alert? Has the thread truly fallen this far?

If you're uninitiated, Space Alert is a real time oh-the-humanity simulator where you try to fend off aliens, meteors, and the cruelty of God in just ten actual physical minutes of frenzied programming and three stooges elevator collisions, while a CD-player robot with the soothing, dulcet tones of a cheese grater in a box fan calmly tells you that you have four minutes until an amorous space squid attempts to vigorously mate with your ship.

It's the joys of soviet engineering *and* vacuum decompression, finally together at last. It's a Samuel Beckett tragicomedy in a box. Space Alert is still, and I quote, "the most fun you can have with a table that doesn't involve cake or lubricant." (Broken Loose lives on in all our hearts.) Play Space Alert.

Isn't it also long out of print?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jedit posted:

Isn't it also long out of print?

It's still buyable

https://www.board-game.co.uk/produc...ywaAlmCEALw_wcB

https://athenagames.com/products/sp...e8aApbYEALw_wcB

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Space-Aler...sc=1&th=1&psc=1

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

FulsomFrank posted:

Just reading the rules for the FCM expansion in anticipation of it and holy smokes those new milestones are wild.

One question though about the lobbyists and the new roads:

The rules on BGG say that when you use a lobbyist and add a new road a few things things happen: first, the new road is flipped over to the "under construction" side.

Second, you put it on the map and for every pre-existing road that the arrows on the new road touch, you add a marker that increases distance by 1 there.

Third, during clean-up, remove the markers and flip the tile to a normal road.

I'm confused about this though because the rules say that you can never use a road under construction, so why do you add the distance markers to it? Am I misreading/misunderstanding something?

Traffic slows down on the already existing roads while they're getting torn up to add a new road and if people have an alternate route to go get a burger they might prefer it to driving past the construction site.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Gutter Owl posted:

I've introduced Space Alert to 2 groups. One enjoyed it a lot, but the second one thought that the "reveal" part was excessively long and boring,. It didn't help that the errors weren't interesting but rather a lot of "you cannot do that" because the laser isn't charged/you're in the wrong room/etc...

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Fat Samurai posted:

I've introduced Space Alert to 2 groups. One enjoyed it a lot, but the second one thought that the "reveal" part was excessively long and boring,. It didn't help that the errors weren't interesting but rather a lot of "you cannot do that" because the laser isn't charged/you're in the wrong room/etc...

I've never met anyone else that enjoys space alert. Everyone I've ever tried to show it to said it was too stressful. Which is super annoying coz I think it's great.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Poopy Palpy posted:

Traffic slows down on the already existing roads while they're getting torn up to add a new road and if people have an alternate route to go get a burger they might prefer it to driving past the construction site.

Ahhhh, I get it now. Thanks for clarifying. Now I can imagine malicious road construction designed to slow down opponents. Very mean!

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Hot take: The Spaceteam phone game is a better implementation of the premise than Space Alert. None of the fiddly bits, similar playtime, just as much stress, finger-pointing, and silly humor.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Fat Samurai posted:

It didn't help that the errors weren't interesting but rather a lot of "you cannot do that" because the laser isn't charged/you're in the wrong room/etc...

It's not the errors themselves that are interesting, it's the resultant complete screwing you get from them. "Did anyone take out that space squid on the right?" "Oh yeah turn 4 I went right and and turns 5 6 and 7 I fired the laser!" [Turn 4 resolution - Player goes Left] "FUUUUUUUUUUUCKK!"

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Spaceteam is also fun, but it's a very different beast from Space Alert. SA is fun to play over and over with the aim of learning to play it better, even more so with the expansion added in. The same isn't true for Spaceteam, the things that are challenging in spaceteam become significantly less interesting as you get more familiar with them. Escape: Curse of the Temple is similar as an easier/lighter SA, but has the same problems of not being anywhere near as replayable.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I have a grudge against Space Alert since it was one of the first games I bought when I got into the hobby, on advice of this thread, and it's definitely not for everyone. As mentioned, it can be super dull if the resolution phase is relatively uneventful, and frustrating when it goes COMPLETELY off the rails and it's obviously hopeless. At least with something like Galaxy Trucker, there's often a glimmer of hope that you'll make it through even when your ship is in total shambles.

Plus I find Vlaada Chatvil games always seem a touch too fiddly - even simple stuff like Galaxy Trucker always has one or two rules that aren't intuitive and feel pasted on.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
A while back someone wrote a flash program that takes your action cards and the threats as input and automatically runs through the resolution as a little animation that figures out if you won or not. It is pretty defunct now if not outright broken, but it was a really great idea that would make a really great phone/tablet companion app for the game.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Elysium posted:

A while back someone wrote a flash program that takes your action cards and the threats as input and automatically runs through the resolution as a little animation that figures out if you won or not. It is pretty defunct now if not outright broken, but it was a really great idea that would make a really great phone/tablet companion app for the game.

Once we found this, we never looked back. It’s a huge hit every time to watch your “movie” of what happened. It just never had the expansion content unfortunately.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I feel like Just One is perfect for 6 slightly drunk adults.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Space Alert is a non starter for any crowd not cool with time pressure and/or information overload. If nobody likes flipping the timer during construction in Galaxy Trucker, then they probably won't like Space Alert.

And yes it's still purchasable. For example you could buy it from me, who has brought it to every swap meet I've ever been to for as low as $10 and it's never budged :v:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
One big issue with Space Alert is the front-loaded ruleset. Having to explain to people a whole lot of stuff before even plunking down pieces for your first turn is a real turn-off. Sure, you could just do the tutorial missions where you sloooowly introduce new elements, but that poo poo takes forever.

I just have it so that whenever a new threat comes up, or someone has a question, I pause the game for a bit and go over what's happening.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Learning some Here I Stand rules for a game this saturday, I got assigned the Ottos since I was the newest player, I assume they just need to worry about pirating the mediterranean and cornholeing the Hapsburgs/Papacy?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Plutonis posted:

Learning some Here I Stand rules for a game this saturday, I got assigned the Ottos since I was the newest player, I assume they just need to worry about pirating the mediterranean and cornholeing the Hapsburgs/Papacy?

Yeah, Ottos are the spoiler. Accept aid from whoever isn't winning to gently caress over the leader and push the advantage early as you wane late game.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Plutonis posted:

And early on keep a knife in the Hapsburg's back so that they don't have a sudden, explosive victory from a few lucky exploration rolls.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

So I just won a game of feast plus expansion with fuckin 182 points, a personal best.

Isle of man into Bosporus traveler (when you gain cattle, spend 3 or 4 silver for 1x4 or 2x3 blue piece) into orkney (cattle bonus space). I had so many cows I upgraded them and filled my home board on round 6, got a bunch of houses, and topped it off with Newfoundland.

Cows, man. Cows. Comboing buying a pair and orkney seriously means fill your home board asap.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The one time I played space alert, the rules made a mockery of my brain, and the accoustics of the venue made a mockery of the mobile phone acting as speaker.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

It's true that Space Alert is not for everyone but then its also true that the people it's not for are objectively bad people.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Space Alert is my favorite game that I never get to play.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

silvergoose posted:

So I just won a game of feast plus expansion with fuckin 182 points, a personal best.

Isle of man into Bosporus traveler (when you gain cattle, spend 3 or 4 silver for 1x4 or 2x3 blue piece) into orkney (cattle bonus space). I had so many cows I upgraded them and filled my home board on round 6, got a bunch of houses, and topped it off with Newfoundland.

Cows, man. Cows. Comboing buying a pair and orkney seriously means fill your home board asap.

Insanely envious of your score. How many players was it? Also, do you have the harvest mini-expansion? Hope it comes to NA soon.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

Insanely envious of your score. How many players was it? Also, do you have the harvest mini-expansion? Hope it comes to NA soon.

Yeah it was nuts, and with an animal focused strategy to boot!

3p, one new player (yeah teaching with the expansion whatup) and my wife who has played nearly as much as me.

No I don't, and I hope it does too. Box is getting a little full though...

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

silvergoose posted:

Box is getting a little full though...

Yeah, it sounds bad but if they sold a "legendary box" like they did with Scythe that could fit everything in it comfortably without me playing a final round of tetris putting everything away every time... I'd grab it.

And yeah, I was reading about some strategies people were using and it sounds like animals can be nuts if you get them going properly.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I literally have to video myself opening my Feast and Spirit Island (both with expansions) boxes to be able to put everything back in a reasonable time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Played Hansa Teutonica at 3, 4, and 5P yesterday. Really appreciating the differences in player count for that game. 3P is much more fragile and has a more definite collusion problem if the third party doesn't join the scrimmage often enough, but I still find it interesting. I have the East map and wonder if that does anything to change/fix that. Have never played it, might play it at some point. Seems like the extra maps for Stephenson's rocket, which are pretty much a waste.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 28, 2019