Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

This was a test post of forum MP4 embedding. Please ignore it.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Nov 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I feel like I say this once every 6 months or so,so here we go again...

Embedding MP4s into the forums is typically not a great idea. Due to the fucky way the functionality was added, they embed as autoplaying videos that the browser keeps rendering even when not on screen. So after just a couple, like just 3 or 4, browsers start crashing. So please be very judicious with their use!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The way MP4s were implemented into the forums are weird.

They will only autoplay if they're hosted on Gyfcat or Imgur. Any other host, and you have to start the video manually. Good luck finding another host besides those two that will stick around, though.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Also the js used to embed gfycat videos doesn’t even work any more (I presume gfycat changed their api, if it was ever even public)

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
FYI I'm going to be doing maintenance on the archive/lpix server this weekend in the morning UK time. Hopefully it shouldn't be down for long, but don't panic if the sites stop loading temporarily.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Mega64 posted:

Good luck finding another host besides those two that will stick around, though.

I'm hosting on my own server. It's not going anywhere.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

May I just confirm; threads are archived after two months of inactivity and can't be restored once archived? I'm interested in LP'ing a fairly short episodic game, but the final episode won't be released for some time yet.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I think it's slightly longer than two months, but you're otherwise correct. Is there a release date for the final episode?

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

ultrafilter posted:

I think it's slightly longer than two months, but you're otherwise correct. Is there a release date for the final episode?

Thanks for the response. :)

On the episode release date, there's nothing official yet. Going on release dates of past episodes, the release could be mid-2020, but I think late 2020 is more likely.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I want to say the archival time is around 11 months at the moment, judging by the fact that I can go back and reply in threads with the latest activity from November 9th 2018 but not 15th.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The archival time tends to vary when it actually works. Though it hasn't been 2 months in a while for the LP subforum. Believe for a while it got extended to sometime longer than that, though it seems to have been broken for the moment.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Worst case, just bump the thread once every couple months or start a new thread once the final episode lands.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Yeah, I know bumping threads is frowned upon in other subforums, but we make an exception in LP if it's to prevent a slow but ongoing thread from falling into the archives.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Hi, idk if it's been mentioned, but none of the video links in GMArcturus' KOTOR I and II LP are working for me. Is this just a problem with my phone, or are they genuinely all dead?

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

Venomous posted:

Hi, idk if it's been mentioned, but none of the video links in GMArcturus' KOTOR I and II LP are working for me. Is this just a problem with my phone, or are they genuinely all dead?

Not just you, they aren't working for me either. It says 'Video Unavailable'.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Fairly certain he dropped his LP channel altogether.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

https://forum.waypoint.vice.com/t/youtube-walkout-dec-10th-13th/24769

Please don't post or watch any videos on Youtube for the next few days :)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

biosterous posted:

https://forum.waypoint.vice.com/t/youtube-walkout-dec-10th-13th/24769

Please don't post or watch any videos on Youtube for the next few days :)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
For anyone who doesn't really leave LP or has missed the site-wide announcement or whatever the case may be, I just wanted to comment on the FYAD/QCS thing and all the horrific transphobia and hate within. It's horseshit. It is profoundly disturbing and shameful that it has taken this long for action to be taken, and it is further embarrassing that more has not been done to stop such blatant bigotry.

Things are happening behind the scenes to deal with it. There's the bureaucratic crap to deal with and there's the fact that everyone on the admin and mod team are volunteers and have real lives--but that doesn't excuse or justify the slow mod/admin response time. I am hopeful, genuinely hopeful, that changes will be affected to assure this community remains a place where posters feel welcomed and safe. That said, this issue is still ongoing.

Aside from the site-wide announcement Smythe made, there's more being discussed in the mod forums. Lowtax included. But there's still some bad poo poo happening. Kiwifarms is trolling the site for information to doxx LGBTQ+ users on SA. LGBTQ+ users across the site are being harassed, though QCS seems to be seeing the worst of it. It's loving dire.

Let's Play has a not insignificant number of LGBTQ+ posters in it who are wonderful, caring, and valued. I am glad to be a part of online community with you. You are all great human beings. LP is generally chill and welcoming, but it is still just as publicly visible to the internet as anything else on the forums. If anyone has any immediate concerns about doxxing or something else, please let someone on the mod/admin team know. Message me on here, DM me, PM me. If something needs to be removed in LP, myself or crow or Fedule will be happy to help, or at least to pass it on to someone who can. If it's elsewhere, or hell, if you just want to know that your voice is being heard, I will pass it up the chain and make sure someone above me at least sees it.

I recognize that may be of small comfort. I am in many ways a bit of a fairweather mod. I have an incredibly busy life and can only access SA at certain hours during the day, and not at all during work. As I've mentioned, LP is generally chill and welcoming--we don't get lots of reports, and the community generally doesn't need lots of moderating. Having more mods than most forums certainly helps, but it's not perfect. So again, small comfort. I know. My response time is not, and cannot, be great. If this shitshow had originated in LP, I know for a fact I would not have been able to adequately respond to it.

That said, if there is a concern, please let me know. I am happy to pass it on, anonymous or not.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

All three of you do great work, and I'm glad to have you all as mods.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I vaguely learned something due to the increasing numbers of banned, permabanned and cat-jailed posters but I missed out because I wasn't too active when this went down. What happened?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I admittedly don't even look into FYAD and most other sub boards so all that passed me by completely. Good to hear that the Administration has put their foot down either way.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Siegkrow posted:

I vaguely learned something due to the increasing numbers of banned, permabanned and cat-jailed posters but I missed out because I wasn't too active when this went down. What happened?

Basically there was a tribunal for Death Ray, who ate a ten year probation on the grounds of threadshitting, transphobia, uncensored use of n*****, you know. The usual. Then various LGBT+ posters went 'actually how about we get rid of all the transphobia', and there was a lot of yelling back and forth in the QCS of 'it's ironic tranphobia', 'ironic transphobia that's indistinguishable from regular transphobia is still bigotry', 'you just don't get FYAD, it's comedy' 'it's 2019 and you still aren't funny' etc. And that escalated for, like, a day and then FYAD was temporarily (?) closed and the purging fires began.

Edit: the main thread starting this is here if you're interested.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 12, 2019

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Good.

Maybe FYAD posters who think bigotry is funny should just leave for 4chan. That'd seem appropriate in more than one way.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 12, 2022

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
If there's a safe space for ironic bigotry, it will inevitably be invaded by actual bigots, assuming it wasn't created by them in the first place.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If there's a safe space for ironic bigotry, it will inevitably be invaded by actual bigots, assuming it wasn't created by them in the first place.

And for the record LP sure as poo poo isn't that place and won't be under our watch.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I wonder if I could pull off a successful LP of Mecha Ace, or Predynastic Egypt, or successfully psyche myself up enough to do SRW J or Civ V.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Someone did an LP of Mecha Ace, several in one thread, with thread participation.

SRW J is one of my favorites so I'll be yapping in the thread if you post it.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

Fivemarks posted:

Predynastic Egypt

Or the followup, Egypt Old Kingdom, which has similar gameplay but more stuff (such as pyramids).

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
To be honest, for a long time now I’ve wanted to do a LP of one of the Impressions city builder games. But the problem is that it’s not something you can keep exciting just covering the strategy.

So the question is, I guess as a mental exercise, how would you even cover something like that? There isn’t a lot to say about samey construction.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
I think that depends on your narrative bent, or else lack thereof. I would think there'd be enough strategy in, for example, the Caesar series, to keep things going for a while. Or like some have done with SimCity or Civ, you come up with a few useless advisors and write dialogue, create a bit of a story, etc. No plans for such a thing myself but I'd go for one of those two styles if it was me. One of these days I'm likely to get off my arse and do a hybrid of the two with Banished.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Hi everyone. I've been wanting to LP something for a while, but I haven't followed through until now. I decided to cover The Age of Decadence, because it's an RPG with a great story and significant focus on player choice that's sadly been overlooked. At the moment I'm tweaking the screenshots.

https://lpix.org/3603212/art_test
https://lpix.org/3603211/enviro_test
https://lpix.org/3603213/journal_test

These are just tests, but I think they're representative of how the game looks at the maximum allowed resolution. If anyone has advice, I'd appreciate it. For reference, I captured and edited these with Irfanview.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Some of the text is a little hard to read but I think that has more to do with the game than anything you've done.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Hey, for those posters who check their bookmarks more often than not: the fine folks of BYOB have sent us a holiday greetings card/thread!

In the spirit of good cheer, I thought it might be nice to try and make a card of our own for them. If you're interested in joining the process, check out the link below. If you just want to see BYOB's card, also check the link below--it's all the same thread. If you just want to give your well wishes, again, see the very same thread below. It can be used for all of those things:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3907556

Happy holidays, Let's Play! You all rock! Thank you for consistently being the best drat subforum on Something Awful to moderate!

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
if I was going to do SRW J, what should I do for music?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fivemarks posted:

If you're doing a SSLP then just link to the soundtrack on YouTube if it is available there.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Fivemarks posted:

I can confirm that a lot of the soundtrack is on YouTube.

You could post both a link to the OG anime song and the Game's version, I think it gives a nice contrast on the midi heavy games.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Siegkrow posted:

I can confirm that a lot of the soundtrack is on YouTube.

You could post both a link to the OG anime song and the Game's version, I think it gives a nice contrast on the midi heavy games.

Or to versions from newer SRW games.
Sometimes they change up the arrangement to be a little better.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Test post.

It's scant at the moment, but I'll add more as the LP goes on. I didn't delve into character creation yet because I think that deserves its own post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
Here is my test post.

Let me know if I need to change anything. I don't know how to hard sub a video so for now, I am just going to use the Youtube subtitles feature.

I know that it is quite sparse atm and the 4th episode isn't fully uploaded at the time of this post but that one is a bonus video anyway.