Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

e; oops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Stickman posted:

Why do you want to overclock it? There's really not much in the way of overclocking headroom on Zen 2 processors, and the small boost you get is generally not worth the enormous increase in power consumption and heat generation (unless you're overclocking for the heck of it).

If you're not overclocking, both boards are vastly over-engineered and a $200 board would be basically equivalent.

Yeah, look at B450 boards. X570's are catering to people with edge cases or suckers, likely overkill for anything you're doing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_chipsets#AM4_chipsets

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

B450 is a good chipset, mines probably overkill for at least half the ppl that get it and it's an matx

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I got an X570 board. It's okay I guess.

Synthetic Dreams
Jul 19, 2005

by Cyrano4747
I got a Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master and there is a lot of poo poo being talked about Gigabyte boards in some spaces I lurk, and I was wondering if there was any meaningful reason for it? Everyone swears up and down by MSI & ASUS nowadays, but the only two motherboards I've had be dead on arrival were from MSI & ASUS.

Apr 7, 2003

Synthetic Dreams posted:

I got a Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master and there is a lot of poo poo being talked about Gigabyte boards in some spaces I lurk, and I was wondering if there was any meaningful reason for it? Everyone swears up and down by MSI & ASUS nowadays, but the only two motherboards I've had be dead on arrival were from MSI & ASUS.

I'll say that I've got an MSI board and every bios update since I bought it is poo poo. I'm running on a July bios because of that

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Speaking of ASUS, BIOS 1405 for the X570s came out and seems to be getting things back to normal for all the people who had issues with DOCP but unsure about the sound cards.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Synthetic Dreams posted:

My Intel board is an aorus

No complaints

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Can anyone explain to me why the 3960x and 3970x lose to the 3950x in some game benchmarks? On paper, the 3970x should be at least as good at any task as the 3950x.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Lowen SoDium posted:

Can anyone explain to me why the 3960x and 3970x lose to the 3950x in some game benchmarks? On paper, the 3970x should be at least as good at any task as the 3950x.

Single core turbo frequency is very slightly higher on the 3950x. So things that favor frequency over lots of cores (like games) still like 3950x very slightly more. It is in the neighborhood of a couple hundred mhz difference.

At 1440p/4k, the fps difference is going to be very small though.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Cygni posted:

Single core turbo frequency is very slightly higher on the 3950x. So things that favor frequency over lots of cores (like games) still like 3950x very slightly more. It is in the neighborhood of a couple hundred mhz difference.

At 1440p/4k, the fps difference is going to be very small though.

Ah, I had missed that when comparing. I thought that the boost clock was the same and that the base clock was higher on the 3970x. That makes a bit more sense.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Lowen SoDium posted:

Slightly better single-core performance - on paper the 3950x has a 4.7GHz max boost the TR's max boost is 4.5GHz. Perhaps the ridiculous power consumption and heat generation also throttles the boost if cooling isn't top notch?

E: Cygni!! :v:

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Synthetic Dreams posted:

MSI put out a v.good selection of B450 motherboards which is sort of recent. People just complain about products more than they praise them. I did get myself a Aorus Pro Wifi X570 and its been fine sine day 1. I didn't get the board because I like Gigabyte, I bought it since it was on special near me and was only 30AUD from the X570 Aorus Elite Pro. A wifi card is worth 30 bucks. I could have easily chosen the Asus TUF Gaming X570 Plus. I could use my past experiences with Gigabyte and Asus not to buy their boards but a lot can change from year to year.

Apart from the lowest tier x570 motherboards - they all seem fine build quality wise.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Synthetic Dreams posted:

I don't know if they still do it, but a few years ago Gigabyte would use cheaper components for later revisions of their motherboards. It would allow them to sell boards of questionable quality based on reviews for the earlier actually good version, which is pretty scummy. I personally use a Gigabyte Z170 board but I made sure to get the earliest revision so I wouldn't have to worry about that.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'll say that I've got an MSI board and every bios update since I bought it is poo poo. I'm running on a July bios because of that
My essentially lowest-tier MSI X570-A Pro is running the newest BIOS and has been fine so far. The previous 1.0.0.4 B update was also running fine while I was on it. :shrug:

Genuinely asking, what specifically has been "poo poo" for you? There might be a fix by now, either in a newer BIOS or from something else.

Just as an example, there has apparently been a scheduler update for Windows in newer patches and an update in the newest BIOS for MSI's X570 boards that were both supposed to improve performance/boost behaviour in the 3000 series, but you might get further improvement through a few BIOS adjustments and a custom power plan from 1usmus to fix the way Windows uses the CPU's best cores.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

:staredog:

I've been running memtest for 2 hours and I still can't believe this is stable.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Synthetic Dreams posted:

I've heard the AUROS boards are ok.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
is there any kind of release date on RX 5500 custom cards?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

is there any kind of release date on RX 5500 custom cards?

Latest word was in 2 weeks time, but I don't think anyone is in a hurry to rush them market.
The distributors and retailers are gonna have to dump the mountains of 570/80/90's that didn't sell at a loss for 130$ in a landfill first.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Synthetic Dreams posted:

Gigabyte made some really lovely boards / cards and revised them into even worse versions in the past.

But giga x570 is good hardware wise, and frequently updated. They might release v1.5 or whatever and that'll change, who knows.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Gigabyte used to have a rep for releasing good hardware and then quietly replacing the components with shittier ones after the reviews had gone out. I don't think they do it anymore, but that and some really lovely Pascal GPUs didn't do wonders for their rep.

Maybe that's also why they created the Aorus top-tier brand - to assuage concerns that they were still pulling this stuff.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

KillHour posted:

You have the golden sample CPU + Memory :aaaaa:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Lowen SoDium posted:

There's also still this funky memory layout, it's just hidden away better by being solely contained in the sIOD, but it still can add up to 10ns latencies. Memory dependent workloads might be affected by this.

Apr 7, 2003

Grog posted:

My essentially lowest-tier MSI X570-A Pro is running the newest BIOS and has been fine so far. The previous 1.0.0.4 B update was also running fine while I was on it. :shrug:

Genuinely asking, what specifically has been "poo poo" for you? There might be a fix by now, either in a newer BIOS or from something else.

The August update made everything unstable, and the updates after that have hurt performance significantly. MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi board.

I'm just gonna sit on everything as it is until I see endorsements from a trusted source.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

KillHour posted:

I bet that performs really, really well

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Those are some p nice timings, but...

KillHour posted:

Oh, you sweet summer child. The fact that it hasn't crashed is a good sign, but memory stability testing is hell on earth. I've had settings I thought were stable after something like 12 hours of Karhu RAMTest only to run it again the next day and get errors repeatedly after 15 minutes. And RAMTest is by far the best tool I've found for finding memory overclocking instability in a "reasonable" amount of time.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

KillHour posted:

drat what memory do you have? My 3950X is sitting in the box waiting for me to make up my mind on the other stuff.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I left memtest running for 6 hours and did get a single error during a random cycle. No errors on the other 100 or so passes though.

My secondaries are stupidly tight as well, so I could try loosening some of those up, but this is quickly approaching too much effort territory for something that could be anything from a repeatable problem to a cosmic ray bit flip. I'm gonna leave it as it is and if I notice any instability during real world use, I'll loosen something up.

MaxxBot posted:

drat what memory do you have? My 3950X is sitting in the box waiting for me to make up my mind on the other stuff.

This stuff.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232378

It's out of stock, but it was $230 - by far the cheapest 32GB kit of B-Die I could find.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Funny as this sounds I’ve found the game PUBG to be the most sensitive for memory stability. I can pass a bunch of different stress tests but PUBG will crash if it isn’t rock solid.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

B-Mac posted:

Funny as this sounds I’ve found the game PUBG to be the most sensitive for memory stability. I can pass a bunch of different stress tests but PUBG will crash if it isn’t rock solid.

Good thing I don't play pubg :). I'll give it a shot though.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

B-Mac posted:

Yeah games can sometimes be the best stress test, I had a weird issue where my PC would shut off randomly during certain games. I suspected an issue with the PSU but it could run Prime95 Small FFT + Furmark simultaneously for days. It turned out it was the PSU and The Witcher 3 was a bigger stress test than Prime95 and Furmark were.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah I had plenty of attempts at (Intel) CPU OC and recent RAM OC with a Zen+ CPU that looked fine in Memtest and Prime95 but would reliably become crash happy in recent demanding games.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

KillHour posted:

I left memtest running for 6 hours and did get a single error during a random cycle. No errors on the other 100 or so passes though.

My secondaries are stupidly tight as well, so I could try loosening some of those up, but this is quickly approaching too much effort territory for something that could be anything from a repeatable problem to a cosmic ray bit flip. I'm gonna leave it as it is and if I notice any instability during real world use, I'll loosen something up.

This stuff.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232378

It's out of stock, but it was $230 - by far the cheapest 32GB kit of B-Die I could find.

That, plus 2x 2TB ex950 nvme drives were ordered earlier this morning. Though I'm going with 3700x, I'm still excite.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Prime 95 had a failure after like 4 passes so I took a wild stab in the dark and bumped my TRAS to 22, figuring 21 was just stupid and bound to cause errors. We'll see if that helps anything.

FE: Sorry for hijacking the AMD thread. I forgot there was an OC thread because nobody posts in it anymore :(

Beverly Cleavage posted:

That, plus 2x 2TB ex950 nvme drives were ordered earlier this morning. Though I'm going with 3700x, I'm still excite.

Let me know if you get memory timings anywhere near as bonkers as I did. That memory might be the deal of the century.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Eh Ryzen benefits quite a bit from memory overclocking so I think it’s worthwhile to post in here. I have my b die kit overclocked to 3700 CL15 so 3733 CL14 is pretty drat good.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I can't even use the safe preset in BIOS for my Trident Z's on Zen+, it's all just a weird lottery. Guess it wouldn't make sense if everyone could overclock and tighten timings on their Ryzen setups.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

B-Mac posted:

Eh Ryzen benefits quite a bit from memory overclocking so I think it’s worthwhile to post in here. I have my b die kit overclocked to 3700 CL15 so 3733 CL14 is pretty drat good.

Fair enough. Yeah, I'm really happy with it. It can even get into Windows and do an AIDA throughput test at CL13, but stress tests get real unhappy at that point. Just crazy, crazy memory.

ufarn posted:

I can't even use the safe preset in BIOS for my Trident Z's on Zen+, it's all just a weird lottery. Guess it wouldn't make sense if everyone could overclock and tighten timings on their Ryzen setups.

Not all Trident Z's are b-die. You have to specifically look for it. It's kind of a pain in the rear end.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

KillHour posted:

Not all Trident Z's are b-die. You have to specifically look for it. It's kind of a pain in the rear end.
Nah, it's b-die, it's just that variable, apparently. At least I get to run 3200 CL14 at stock unlike a lot of people who had to turn down their frequency.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ufarn posted:

Nah, it's b-die, it's just that variable, apparently. At least I get to run 3200 CL14 at stock unlike a lot of people who had to turn down their frequency.

drat, that sucks. Guess I really won the lottery here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Even though your setup should be stresstested more, my improved timings wouldn't even pass the BIOS boot check. Guess we're on both of our sides of the silicon quality distribution!