Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

gonna lol when an argument about language is what split the rock pirates up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Just caught up and I like how Oden's story makes it 100% undeniable that Kiku is trans :3:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mr. Fowl posted:

Just caught up and I like how Oden's story makes it 100% undeniable that Kiku is trans :3:

Kind of interesting that she's drawn considerably prettier than the okama, who just don't give a poo poo about gender and will happily blend masculine and feminine aesthetics in any way they think is fun.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Lpzie posted:

gonna lol when an argument about language is what split the rock pirates up.

I bet it was Captain John who started it with his 4 page rant about the thesaurus breaking power of the word Nakama.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

10,000 word essay about why Ain't isn't a word by Big Mom.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I was going to say something about Whitebeard and family, but now I just want an OVA where he drinks Coronas, drives ships, and breaks everything because Family.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gyges posted:

I was going to say something about Whitebeard and family, but now I just want an OVA where he drinks Coronas, drives ships, and breaks everything because Family.

You really think Whitebeard of all people would go for something as weak and watery as a Corona? Either he's on water and fruit juice for his health, or he's downing terrifying Trappist beers all day, every day.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

You really think Whitebeard of all people would go for something as weak and watery as a Corona? Either he's on water and fruit juice for his health, or he's downing terrifying Trappist beers all day, every day.

You think he got the name Whitebeard from drinking that watered down baby formula? Nothing but old school 180 proof White Lightning moonshine and he likes the taste :colbert:

White Light fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 27, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Isn't Whitebeard introduced with a gigantic tankard his nurses are admonishing him about?

Probably the only way to keep him, Kaido and Big Mom from killing each other was to get them all sloshed.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

i flunked out posted:

if you did you would know that present participles act as adjectives.

Ah so it's a magic word

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't Whitebeard introduced with a gigantic tankard his nurses are admonishing him about?

Probably the only way to keep him, Kaido and Big Mom from killing each other was to get them all sloshed.

Yes and it’s still one of the best intros in all of one piece cause right after that panel shanks rolls up

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Professorjuggalo posted:

Yes and it’s still one of the best intros in all of one piece cause right after that panel shanks rolls up
Isn't it just Rockstar meeting with him at that time? I don't think the Shanks and WB meeting happens for another couple hundred chapters.

EDIT: drat, yeah, it's exactly 200 chapters apart. 234 -> 434. Oda is a madman.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Nov 27, 2019

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Blackbeard took over as the most piratey of pirates. After seeing him on his island partying with booze and girls I am fully on team Blackbeard and I want him to be the pirate king

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Terror Sweat posted:

Blackbeard took over as the most piratey of pirates. After seeing him on his island partying with booze and girls I am fully on team Blackbeard and I want him to be the pirate king

He also gets physically bigger and bigger every time we see him.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

big respect to the guy who's passionately wrong about the grammar thing

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

autumnal oddium posted:

big respect to the guy who's passionately wrong about the grammar thing

a man's dream never ends

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Pigbuster posted:

Ah so it's a mystery word

Ftfy

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Roger's crew didn't blab about the True History because they all had a massive and bitter argument about the tense of one verb on the Rio Poneglyph.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Roger's crew didn't blab about the True History because they all had a massive and bitter argument about the tense of one verb on the Rio Poneglyph.

Rayleigh implied that they found the conclusion they drew from the Poneglyphs unpleasant. My theory is that the Poneglyphs imply that Imu (or the World Nobles in general, assuming Imu is simply their current leader rather than an 800-year-old founder of the World Government) has access to Uranus, and that trying to outright overthrow the World Government is therefore futile, at least unless you have Poseidon or Pluton on your side.

But the Roger Pirates would probably have had no idea that Poseidon's power still existed, and in any case a war between two Ancient Weapons would apparently be enormously destructive of human life. As much as Roger may have disapproved of the World Nobles, he would, I assume, have considered the equivalent of a nuclear war too great a price to pay to be rid of them. (You can take this chain of speculation further and wonder, e.g., if Rocks was the equivalent of a Posadist, but I'm stopping it here for the purposes of this post.)

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

This show is weird man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVMnKgPhjFg

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Pigbuster posted:

Ah so it's a magic word

Yeah like opening as in opening act or running as in running gag.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Silver2195 posted:

Rayleigh implied that they found the conclusion they drew from the Poneglyphs unpleasant. My theory is that the Poneglyphs imply that Imu (or the World Nobles in general, assuming Imu is simply their current leader rather than an 800-year-old founder of the World Government) has access to Uranus, and that trying to outright overthrow the World Government is therefore futile, at least unless you have Poseidon or Pluton on your side.

But the Roger Pirates would probably have had no idea that Poseidon's power still existed, and in any case a war between two Ancient Weapons would apparently be enormously destructive of human life. As much as Roger may have disapproved of the World Nobles, he would, I assume, have considered the equivalent of a nuclear war too great a price to pay to be rid of them. (You can take this chain of speculation further and wonder, e.g., if Rocks was the equivalent of a Posadist, but I'm stopping it here for the purposes of this post.)

The way Rayleigh phrased it made it sound like they barely understood it and could only parse some of it due to lacking the specific knowledge that Ohara had. I'll look for that page later on.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

doomrider7 posted:

The way Rayleigh phrased it made it sound like they barely understood it and could only parse some of it due to lacking the specific knowledge that Ohara had. I'll look for that page later on.

That would make sense with what we've seen of the Roger pirates; while a smart and cunning bunch, none of them seemed to be bookworms or historians, and couldn't actually read the Poneglyph language. (Though seems to be Roger's ability gives him a limited ability to write it- maybe while in the presence of one anyway. Presumably a sort of empathy with a very significant object that was specifically built to carry a message) I'd imagine it'd be hard for them to understand a world-shaking revelation without any historical context to work with.

I've said before that Robin is very much the key to not only Luffy becoming the Pirate King, even if he didn't know it at first, but to him being able to do what Roger couldn't. Interestingly, we've seen Robin able to read the Poneglyphs and that she carries knowledge from Ohara that no one else knows, but little to nothing of what she actually knows, aside from that she was able to identify Poseidon. (I think) And she plays her cards very close to her chest, I get the feeling we might get hints out of her as to what she actually knows and its significance, but isn't gonna do an infodump til she knows the whole truth.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I get the feeling we might get hints out of her as to what she actually knows and its significance, but isn't gonna do an infodump til she knows the whole truth.
I think even if Robin worked out what One Piece was, she wouldn't tell Luffy what she knows until he finds it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cat Machine posted:

I think even if Robin worked out what One Piece was, she wouldn't tell Luffy what she knows until he finds it

I mean, the crew's seen Luffy react violently to the idea of getting spoiled on it. Though I wouldn't be surprised if no one's more bemused than Roger's old crew about the reputation that's grown around what was a very vague statement.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

He also gets physically bigger and bigger every time we see him.
One of his minions is going to eat the Tori Tori no Mi, Model: Parrot and sit on his shoulder.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Supersonic Shine posted:

One of his minions is going to eat the Tori Tori no Mi, Model: Parrot and sit on his shoulder.

Honestly Lafitte may already have that.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Why can't I play as Kaidou in that lovely Jump Force game and how come I can't put him against Kenpachi

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

:siren: Chapter 964: ROGAAAAAAAAAAAAA :siren:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

lmao @ that whitebeard face

Wano is a loving treasure trove of reactions

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Roger looks more like his son than usual.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

shiiiiiiiitt

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 29, 2019

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

That's gold

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I just know someone is going to make a joke that Toki is a weebo.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Looks like Toki is from the Void Century.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Wano: it's good.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Holy poo poo everything in this chapter is amazing. One Piece is amazing. I love One Piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I cannot believe Toki is a weeb, this manga is so good :allears:

Also, the thread title is accurate again!