Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
They should just use saran wrap like they do in The Naked Gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Beachcomber posted:

How'd they handle Rogue's powers?

At first Beast made her a necklace that was a power dampener but it was apparently a literal pain to wear. Then after an a couple of adventures, Rogue gained greater control of her powers plus Beast remade the power dampener as a bracelet which wasn't a pain. So that's that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It should be noted that Rogue is currently a statue.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Pizza dog and Jonathan

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Skwirl posted:

It should be noted that Rogue is currently a statue.
A thing that can happen if you let Beast "help" you

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Alhazred posted:

A thing that can happen if you let Beast "help" you

Could be worse.

Could have had Reed Richards "help" her.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

That didn't actually happen. Emma Frost made an accusation about it.

Kitty explicitly banned him from being alone with her.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

The X-Men has had multiple versions of Cyclops' son as a member, each from a different version of Jean Grey. I think they are well aware that leaving Cyclops alone with a version of Jean Grey will just lead to another one, and I don't blame them for wanting to take countermeasures.

Maybe he ought to get the snip, to be on the safe side?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LashLightning posted:

The X-Men has had multiple versions of Cyclops' son as a member, each from a different version of Jean Grey. I think they are well aware that leaving Cyclops alone with a version of Jean Grey will just lead to another one, and I don't blame them for wanting to take countermeasures.

Maybe he ought to get the snip, to be on the safe side?

One of those versions was a test tube baby clone created by Sinister. That Scott didn't even meet Jean until like 10 minutes before they both died.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Rhyno posted:

One of those versions was a test tube baby clone created by Sinister. That Scott didn't even meet Jean until like 10 minutes before they both died.

Mr Sinister is just the most unbearable shipper.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Alhazred posted:

The X-Men is basically creep cenyral. The moment young Jean entered old Cyclops started to hit on her for example.

This is not at all how I remember it going, but I haven't read that run in years. I recall the old and young team briefly fighting right when All-New began, and then, a few issues later Scott showing up to talk up his new team, at which point he did sort of address Young Jean by just telling her she should go back to her own timeline, more or less. IIRC the two teams were pretty separate at the time since he was widely blamed for killing Xavier, so there wasn't a ton of overlap. Do you have an issue number?

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 30, 2019

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Much as I hate Cyclops, I appreciate that he takes Kitty seriously, if only because her power means his eyebeams from the punch dimension don't mean dick so he can't just optic blast til he gets his way.

This is where someone tells me there's some bullshit about his blasts getting through her intangibility

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Much as I hate Cyclops, I appreciate that he takes Kitty seriously, if only because her power means his eyebeams from the punch dimension don't mean dick so he can't just optic blast til he gets his way.

This is where someone tells me there's some bullshit about his blasts getting through her intangibility

Cyclops could zap her if she wasn't expecting it easily enough, but apart from that I don't think there's any way he could hurt her. Kitty's one of the most dangerous mutants there is on a physical level. It's why Logan respects her so much - she's one of the very few people who could permanently kill him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
In addition to her powers making her invulnerable she's also a ninja.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

She's also a pirate now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

She's also a pirate now.

A drunk pirate with tattoos, and the Red Queen of the Hellfire Club. I'm not sure if this is an endorsement or an indictment of Wolverine's mentorship abilities.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Porque no los dos?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Depending on the story, either Cyclops would bank a shot to hit Kate in the back when she’s not expecting it, or she’d phase his visor off his head, leaving him functionally blind.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Also they were, y'know, colleagues and fellow soldiers. I don't think the respect has anything to do with who could beat the other.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I dug these issues out because I was curious.

This was a bad plot and I think "a grown man's tragically lost ex manifests before him as a teenager"/"a teenager is pulled into the future and told that the gawky guy she goes to school with will grow up to be both a radical and her ex-husband" was also destined to be a bad narrative road to go down, but this feels like him actively not hitting on her? The previous page shows her reaching out for his hand which is why he flinches away.

But yeah Kitty is entirely right to tell him not to go in there, I feel like the only reason he even does is so this specific scene can be contrived. The context is that he hears her scream in the night and goes to knock on the door and check in on her, which is fine, but then he just moseys on in. It's like they needed this scene to happen and wanted there to be some weird frisson between them and realized "we're 26 issues into this, let's just make it happen."

To be fair there is a deeply creepy scene earlier in All-New I found where Beast is ogling young Jean and thinking how beautiful she is, which is how she deduces that young Hank is also in love with her. I don't know why she was reading old Hank's mind and not young Hank's to begin with but whatever. It's a gross scene. You can check it out in All-New X-Men #15 if you really want to, an otherwise really lovely issue with great David Lafuente pencils.

Anyway I think Wolverine respects Kitty Pryde because she's smart and idealistic in a way that doesn't remind him of herself, and he likes being able to mentor someone who sees him as a real source of experience and insight instead of just an unstable rear end in a top hat. I think most of the reason writers keep putting him in mentor positions with young characters-- and why his stint as a teacher made sense and was fun-- is because it allows him to reframe the hard-knock life he led as a source of wisdom, and gives him a chance to use the mistakes he made as a way to help people who are still young and ambitious but maybe a little reckless (Kitty, Jubilee, Quentin Quire-- I don't know enough about Armor to say one way or the other if this makes sense for her). I definitely don't think "who can beat up who" plays into it very much at all? I think Claremont deciding to gradually shift him from a real erratic loner to someone who wants to or finds himself surprisingly adept at mentoring and teaching was one of his best decisions.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 30, 2019

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jedit posted:

Cyclops could zap her if she wasn't expecting it easily enough, but apart from that I don't think there's any way he could hurt her. Kitty's one of the most dangerous mutants there is on a physical level. It's why Logan respects her so much - she's one of the very few people who could permanently kill him.
I figure Logan chooses his mentoring recipients in part on the metric of "How hard would it be for Creed to kill this person?" This does not really explain Jubilee though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Archyduchess posted:

I dug these issues out because I was curious.

This was a bad plot and I think "a grown man's tragically lost ex manifests before him as a teenager"/"a teenager is pulled into the future and told that the gawky guy she goes to school with will grow up to be both a radical and her ex-husband" was also destined to be a bad narrative road to go down, but this feels like him actively not hitting on her? The previous page shows her reaching out for his hand which is why he flinches away.

But yeah Kitty is entirely right to tell him not to go in there, I feel like the only reason he even does is so this specific scene can be contrived. The context is that he hears her scream in the night and goes to knock on the door and check in on her, which is fine, but then he just moseys on in. It's like they needed this scene to happen and wanted there to be some weird frisson between them and realized "we're 26 issues into this, let's just make it happen."

To be fair there is a deeply creepy scene earlier in All-New I found where Beast is ogling young Jean and thinking how beautiful she is, which is how she deduces that young Hank is also in love with her. I don't know why she was reading old Hank's mind and not young Hank's to begin with but whatever. It's a gross scene. You can check it out in All-New X-Men #15 if you really want to, an otherwise really lovely issue with great David Lafuente pencils.

Anyway I think Wolverine respects Kitty Pryde because she's smart and idealistic in a way that doesn't remind him of herself, and he likes being able to mentor someone who sees him as a real source of experience and insight instead of just an unstable rear end in a top hat. I think most of the reason writers keep putting him in mentor positions with young characters-- and why his stint as a teacher made sense and was fun-- is because it allows him to reframe the hard-knock life he led as a source of wisdom, and gives him a chance to use the mistakes he made as a way to help people who are still young and ambitious but maybe a little reckless (Kitty, Jubilee, Quentin Quire-- I don't know enough about Armor to say one way or the other if this makes sense for her). I definitely don't think "who can beat up who" plays into it very much at all? I think Claremont deciding to gradually shift him from a real erratic loner to someone who wants to or finds himself surprisingly adept at mentoring and teaching was one of his best decisions.

It's also why he and Spider-Man make a good duo

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

It's also why he and Spider-Man make a good duo

Yeah for sure. And just like Jubilee and Quire he's also not afraid to push back on Logan's machismo and force him to lighten up.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm grateful that no matter how bad X-Men has gotten, nobody has had Logan try to get frisky with any of his proteges/students

Just because dude already has a lot to answer for

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Reminder that Astonishing Spider-Man and Wolverine was a really fun book. Doom the Living Planet was only topped by the mash ups from the future Thor timeline.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Wolverine using his history of mistakes and bad decisions as a way to help people around him avoid making those same mistakes is one of my favorite things about the character. The idea that someone who's suffered can use that suffering to move on and help people is powerful.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wiegieman posted:

Wolverine using his history of mistakes and bad decisions as a way to help people around him avoid making those same mistakes is one of my favorite things about the character. The idea that someone who's suffered can use that suffering to move on and help people is powerful.

One of my favorites runs was Old Man Logan (and the finale of series which they renamed Dead Man Logan). Just filled with regret and trying to find closure and some measure of grace to the poo poo sandwich that was his life.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wolverine's involvement with the X-men strikes me as stemming from a desire for the world to never produce (or need) another Wolverine.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Wolverine's involvement with the X-men strikes me as stemming from a desire for the world to never produce (or need) another Wolverine.

Well, much like Jean Greys there never seems to be shortage of Wolverines.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm grateful that no matter how bad X-Men has gotten, nobody has had Logan try to get frisky with any of his proteges/students

He sleeps with a teenager Jean Grey in like the first arc of Ultimate X-Men.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

He sleeps with a teenager Jean Grey in like the first arc of Ultimate X-Men.

ultimate anything doesn't count and you know it

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Alaois posted:

ultimate anything doesn't count and you know it

:haibrow:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I mean, the Maker, James Howlett Jr and Miles Morales all crossed over. Most of it doesn't seem to count for now, but it only doesn't count until it does.

I do think Hickman is very unlikely to make an alternate universe version of Wolverine sleeping with a teenage version of Jean Grey a major part of current X-Men.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
It's also implied he tried to bone Mary Jane when he got body swapped with Peter. Ultimate Wolverine was a fuckin creep.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Bituva reason why no one was particularly surprised when Parker threw him out a penthouse window, I'm sensing

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Lurdiak posted:

And when the world got one, she ruled, so it was ok.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Reminds me of that weird hinted at relationship he had with Squirrel Girl that eventually got retconned into something else entirely

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Bituva reason why no one was particularly surprised when Parker threw him out a penthouse window, I'm sensing

On the one hand that moment was hilarious, but on the other it felt kinda out of character for Logan

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

drrockso20 posted:

Reminds me of that weird hinted at relationship he had with Squirrel Girl that eventually got retconned into something else entirely

On the one hand that moment was hilarious, but on the other it felt kinda out of character for Logan

Doreen absolutely broke his heart into a million pieces and no one can convince me otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

SonicRulez posted:

And when the world got one, she ruled, so it was ok.

She didn't need to be Wolverine tho. She could have been her own thing.