Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

XMNN posted:

also some guy who was on television in the 80s and had been dying for the last 10 years died on Sunday so that was big news which should eat up loads of attention

no offense to Clive James, I listened to two ten minute segments about him on BBC radio's flagship evening news programme and it seems like he was a nice guy, but using 20 minutes out of an hour to do an obituary and then burying 2 minutes of discussion of the trade talks 45 minutes into the program was loving obscene

It was a 3'fer in deaths the last few days.
Clive James, Gary Rhodes, and Jonathan Miller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

drat David Runciman loving hates Corbyn lol

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

THS posted:

if yall dont vote labour in then im going to fly over there myself and kill all the swans and burn down hogwarts

Those swans are the adequate food the Tories talked about

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

they did the headline everyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPjD-2sP_Is

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Doctor Nick posted:

As someone who's visiting from the US, I find it very odd that only ONE newspaper has the "NHS for sale" story on its front page:

is that Edinburgh airport

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
peedom of the press

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i just cant stand old, worn out spapers

Doctor Nick
Dec 27, 2003

kru posted:

is that Edinburgh airport

No, it was some rest stop near Aberdeen

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Who could've predicted that a state-run media organization could've turned to supporting the party in power and denigrating the opposition? Who?

Lotsa EU countries have state broadcasters who manage to be marginally more neutral.

Still just a gentlemans agreement though.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Pre-Hutton report the BBC wasn't afraid to go after the government of the day. Another thing to thank Tony Blair for.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Corbyn finished !

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Newspapers?

Neh, spapers!

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

ahahaha channel 4 did the ice sculpture thing

they really ought to have commissioned actual snowmen, though i gather that this might've been a little difficult

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Farm Frenzy posted:

they did the headline everyone

what the actual gently caress

how can people look at this and think "this is normal"

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

wow johnson just threatened to shut down channel 4 for not letting gove (or his... dad???) sub in for him in the leaders' debate

that's, uh, incredibly egregious

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Squizzle posted:

also there is not req that the pm be a party leader. the cabinet manual says that they normally will be, but

I wanted to say Robert Borden, WW1 Canadian PM, despite winning a heafty majority in a party he created lost his seat in the election of 1917. Because of this, the government and the opposition went to the Governer General and said "Can Borden still be PM for continuity of government in wartime?" and the GG said "okay"

But wikipedia says nothing about this so it may be wrong

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Tory party rules say their leader needs to be an MP.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

nuclear!!!!! ilu jeremy!

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Squizzle posted:

that said, there is strictly speaking no requirement that the pm be an mp—just the strong implication that they are expected to be one at the time they become pm

Decorum.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

bit bloodless, this debate

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
theres a reason boris and farage didn't show. boris can't be trusted not to say brexit brexit brexit constantly and farage is an outright climate change denier and knows its unpopular and would destroy him

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
What is even going on if both Johnson and Farage are hiding? Is it just a Corbyn interview, or did they invite Jo Swinson to come get dunked on by the absolute boy?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

also pretty bad for corbyn. everyone here pretty much agrees, bar the lib dems who witter on about some sentimental bollocks - corbyn's the clear target to attack for everyone in here

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its corbyn, swinson, sturgeon and the leader of plaid cymru and the greens. basically everyone is mostly in agreement except for swinson who refuses to say how things will happen except taxes on air travel

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Nicola is there too, and the Greens and Plaid

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Jose posted:

theres a reason boris and farage didn't show. boris can't be trusted not to say brexit brexit brexit constantly and farage is an outright climate change denier and knows its unpopular and would destroy him

hmm yes quite, it would play very poorly with the shithead base a key demographic in this post 9/11 world

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

johnson doesn't care at all about this and a debate all about it would expose his complete vacuity on the issue - it's absurd that labour's got probably the single best environmental policy of any major party in the world and is likely not going to get much traction for it at all

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Climate change denial is a very fringe view here. There's a reason Farage never talks about his yank-style views on privatising the NHS, gun control, and climate change. Now his racism, that's very popular with the great british public.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

lol corbyn, the man whose hobby is pottering around on his allotment, is a vegetarian and who tries to ride his bicycle to work, is challenged "what will you do to improve your personal emissions" and is, for a moment, completely baffled

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i am not watching the debate so this thread is giving me strong teletext football update vibes. it is not unpleasant

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

oh but seriously I posted:

i am not watching the debate so this thread is giving me strong teletext football update vibes. it is not unpleasant

yeah this has been my preferred way of watching political debate for a long time, it's pro.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

marktheando posted:

Tory party rules say their leader needs to be an MP.

as if they won't boris all over their own rules if they need to

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Who could've predicted that a state-run media organization could've turned to supporting the party in power and denigrating the opposition? Who?
We're one executive order away from nationalizing Fox News.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
https://twitter.com/notstelfc/status/1199824212397109248?s=19

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

V. Illych L. posted:

lol corbyn, the man whose hobby is pottering around on his allotment, is a vegetarian and who tries to ride his bicycle to work, is challenged "what will you do to improve your personal emissions" and is, for a moment, completely baffled

"Eat more pineapple"

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Where is that dog that Boris adopted, by the way

Did Gove drown it with his bare hands and no expression

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

presumably it didn't turn out to be the ratings boost it was hoped it would be

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Wait nevermind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Jo Swinson on the debate lamenting how her kids had never seen a hedgehog in their garden. No mention of squirrels.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-50577118

Meanwhile, Theresa May unveils a statue of a "truly remarkable woman", Nancy Astor, the second woman to be elected as an MP (the first woman MP was Constance Markievicz for Sinn Féin so she doesn't get a statue). While she was a pioneer in some respects for women's rights, she was also a strong supporter of Hitler and his Jewish solution, and spent her later years convinced she was a target of the global "Jewish Communistic propaganda".

Funny that the media isn't making a bigger deal of that considering how obsessed they are with rooting out anti-Jewish sentiment in all its forms.