Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Gorn Myson posted:

Our PM ducks out of a debate and tries to send his dad. JRM gets his nanny to drive him around on the campaign trail.

Just a perfectly normal country. Maybe Gove should have sent his wet-nurse round, she might have had a better chance of getting on the stage.
Gove would have sent his author, but couldn't exhume the corpse in Rhode Island quickly enough.

edit: Michael Gove has consumed at least 384 souls this election campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Finallly getting off my arse and getting involved in campaigning stuff. Anyone have any cool tips about the party in SE Cambridgeshire?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Yank here, with a bit of a general curiosity about your upcoming election. Is there any chance you guys wind up with PM Corbyn, or are your old people voters as disastrously stupid as our old people voters?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Random Integer posted:

Bellingcat is literally funded the Open Society Foundations (Soros) tho, leading to the predictable conspiracies. Hence the original reference to Soros.

I don't think anybody ITT has criticized them for taking Soros money though, just for taking US government money.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Extremely low energy empty chairing in that debate! They should have put the sculptures behind podiums so they'd always look like missing leaders and be in every shot. Sticking them at the sides just made them look like part of the set, they were hardly ever in shot, and they barely even melted anyway

And both parties only got mentioned at the start and end, KGM kept opening questions by stating Tory policy which never got scrutinised, so they got off pretty lightly imo

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Rust Martialis posted:

Some people attack BM for being funded by Soros. Others attack him for being funded by the US. Sorry, what's the difference again?

ah yes, horseshoe theory, very good

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Cleverer people than me.

Is it antisemitic to question whether the Chief Rabbi had a partly political motive in making his statement this week? What about to question whether his statement could actually end up contributing to antisemitism by throwing fuel on the fire of conspiracy fears about Jews colluding with high office?

For the record I am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt re. his first motive being to protect Jewish people but I don't think it's racist to question his motives, I wouldn't hold back on questioning other religious leaders in general.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 28, 2019

druthers
Oct 12, 2012

Vlex posted:

Urgh I'm in a twitter fight with a Very Reasonable Just Asking Questions senior academic over anti-Semitism claims.

Edit: anyone got a source for anti-Semitism/racism being less prevalent in Labour than the general population?

https://antisemitism.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Antisemitism-Barometer-2017.pdf
page 6 in particular
and I'm sure there was another one I'm forgetting

the one i was forgetting was
https://www.jpr.org.uk/documents/JPR.2017.Antisemitism_in_contemporary_Great_Britain.pdf

druthers fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 28, 2019

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Vlex posted:

Urgh I'm in a twitter fight with a Very Reasonable Just Asking Questions senior academic over anti-Semitism claims.

Edit: anyone got a source for anti-Semitism/racism being less prevalent in Labour than the general population?

https://docs.google.com/document/u/...YJFdrk-s4j6XgWQ

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Zalakwe posted:

Cleverer people than me.

Is it antisemitic to question whether the Chief Rabbi had a partly political motive in making his statement this week? What about to question whether his statement could actually end up contributing to antisemitism by throwing fuel on the fire of conspiracy fears about Jews colluding with high office?

How would it be antisemitic to suggest that a human being who happens to be a member of the Jewish community can have ulterior motivations?

The only way that'd be antisemitic is if you suggested that their ulterior motivations were *because* they were Jewish

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Zalakwe posted:

Cleverer people than me.

For the record I am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt re. his first motive being to protect Jewish people but I don't think it's racist to question his motives, I wouldn't hold back on questioning other religious leaders in general.

He's a tory and congratulated Boris on becoming the conservative leader. Boris has backed openly antisemitic leaders like Orban in the past and it doesn't seem to bother Mirvis, so I reckon either it is a political thing, or he's dumb enough to conflate anti-semitism with saying 'israel is doing war crimes please stop' which also makes him an antisemite.

Miftan fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 28, 2019

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/rose_marie/status/1200145620662718464?s=20

Shocking if true.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Random Integer posted:

Bellingcat is literally funded the Open Society Foundations (Soros) tho, leading to the predictable conspiracies. Hence the original reference to Soros.

It's interesting watching the frothing crews on all sides screech about how evil BM is without actually having anything to go on. And then extend their caterwauling to anyone who points out the similarities.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Zalakwe posted:

Cleverer people than me.

Michael Rosen (michaelrosenyes) is a good follow on twitter. He wrote a blog post on this subject:

https://michaelrosenblog.blogspot.com/2019/11/im-jewish-im-voting-labour.html

Mirvis is a tory and I believe has form for this around general election time. Problem is google is absolutely dominated by Monday's effort by him and I haven't been able to find links. Hopefully someone else has them.

There is also a list that appears called something like "50 reasons why Corbyn doesn't have an anti-semitic bone in his body". I have to say the title of that list makes my skin crawl. But it does have some good points in it. I might share items from it but not the stupid title.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Rust Martialis posted:

Some people attack BM for being funded by Soros. Others attack him for being funded by the US. Sorry, what's the difference again?

nobody has tried that antisemitic smear here so gently caress right off

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Hellblazer187 posted:

Yank here, with a bit of a general curiosity about your upcoming election. Is there any chance you guys wind up with PM Corbyn, or are your old people voters as disastrously stupid as our old people voters?

Depends, how willing are you to conduct electoral fraud?

Please don't. His party is around 10 points behind in the polls atm but they're closing with enough momentum that a hung parliment/labour minority government is pretty plasuable.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Qwertycoatl posted:

Finallly getting off my arse and getting involved in campaigning stuff. Anyone have any cool tips about the party in SE Cambridgeshire?

According to my Little List in the OP you want to be talking to Stoic Fnord :sun: I'm next door in South Cambridgeshire (for now).

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Labour is 10 pts behind? Shouldn't Alan Moore's vote count for like 100,000 votes though?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Rust Martialis posted:

It's interesting watching the frothing crews on all sides screech about how evil BM is without actually having anything to go on. And then extend their caterwauling to anyone who points out the similarities.

"we're attacked by the left and right so clearly we're objectively correct" - the bbc

"there is no difference between good and bad things" - wint

I'm not interesting in criticising BM here but this is a really loving stupid argument you're making

Hellblazer187 posted:

Labour is 10 pts behind?

no

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

it's interesting the enemies made through investigating war crimes and the attack lines manifested through willful ignorance and deceit

if only there were parallels to the current political discourse

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

There is also a list that appears called something like "50 reasons why Corbyn doesn't have an anti-semitic bone in his body". I have to say the title of that list makes my skin crawl. But it does have some good points in it. I might share items from it but not the stupid title.

These articles also make pretty good points backed up with evidence:

https://www.jewishvoiceforlabour.org.uk/article/smoke-without-fire-the-myth-of-a-labour-antisemitism-crisis/

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opendemocracyuk/first-time-my-life-im-frightened-be-jewish/

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

:siren: :siren: :siren: Folks, I need your assistance. I've gotten so sick of the endless smearing of Jeremy Corbyn by the conservatives and NewsCorp papers that I've decided to start doing something to push back against the narrative. In particular, I want to write a piece debunking the notion that Corbyn in an anti-Semite. I want it to be as exhaustive and complete as possible to ensure that it won't get any "yes, but what about when Corbyn did..." responses. So I would really appreciate it if you could all help me compile a list of as many concrete things people have used in the past to "prove" that Corbyn is an anti-Semite. Then I'm going to spend the next week or so researching as many of them as possible and writing up my findings in one big Medium article.

Hopefully, that article will come in handy for anyone who needs a one-stop link to send to people who have been fooled into believing that Corbyn is an anti-Semite. Because at the moment there is so much third-hand hearsay about Labour anti-Semitism out there that it's almost impossible to verifiably prove that it's all hogwash without putting in a lot of legwork.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hellblazer187 posted:

Labour is 10 pts behind? Shouldn't Alan Moore's vote count for like 100,000 votes though?

Much like in yanksville, the polls are garbage.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

They rebutted with this https://jewishnews.timesofisrael.com/most-uk-jews-think-labour-is-too-tolerant-of-anti-semitism-yougov-poll-finds/

Which should give an idea of the level of good faith they're operating on

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Hellblazer187 posted:

Shouldn't Alan Moore's vote count for like 100,000 votes though?
Unfortunately he's not a high enough wizard to convince the Electoral Commission to allow him to register each one of his socks as a voter.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Michael Rosen (michaelrosenyes) is a good follow on twitter. He wrote a blog post on this subject:

https://michaelrosenblog.blogspot.com/2019/11/im-jewish-im-voting-labour.html

Mirvis is a tory and I believe has form for this around general election time. Problem is google is absolutely dominated by Monday's effort by him and I haven't been able to find links. Hopefully someone else has them.

Pochoclo posted:

How would it be antisemitic to suggest that a human being who happens to be a member of the Jewish community can have ulterior motivations?

The only way that'd be antisemitic is if you suggested that their ulterior motivations were *because* they were Jewish

Miftan posted:

He's a tory and congratulated Boris on becoming the conservative leader. Boris has backed openly antisemitic leaders like Orban in the past and it doesn't seem to bother Mirvis, so I reckon either it is a political thing, or he's dumb enough to conflate anti-semitism with saying 'israel is doing war crimes please stop' which also makes him an antisemite.

Cheers for all of this, comforting to know. Issue is minefield. That blog is particularly useful.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

It's not at all unusual for the us state department to fund all kinds of journalistic organisations. Not even for propagandistic reasons, it's generally a way for them to outsource research and investigation because they like to be in possession of a solid set of facts to base whatever cataclysmic imbicilery they want to engage in next.

I know of several in Latin America alone who get us state department funding to basically present facts and figures to back up telling them to gently caress off out of the hemisphere on a daily basis.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

oh if anyone wants a contact for truro and falmouth then hi, somehow I'm involved despite not normally living here. it is wet.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Jose posted:

nobody has tried that antisemitic smear here so gently caress right off

I'm pointing out you (and others here) attack him for using NED money to do good things, as others (elsewhere) attack him for "taking Soros's money" to do good things. Your attacks have nothing to do with anything he does, just your reflexive need to attack anything remotely connected to the US, in this thread and others, is unremitting. You're really no different than the RT shills, except you don't get paid.

The fact he has actually achieved something good in the world, and repeatedly helped people really means nothing to you. All you care about is he got some funding from Sorosthe US.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Vlex posted:

They rebutted with this https://jewishnews.timesofisrael.com/most-uk-jews-think-labour-is-too-tolerant-of-anti-semitism-yougov-poll-finds/

Sounds like a real good academic who can rebut hard data with opinions.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Spangly A posted:

quote:

Labour is 10 pts behind?
no

Fine, 11%.

It's gonna tighten up though, still 2 weeks to go.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

blunt posted:

Fine, 11%.

no

I could write a poll saying that Corbyn, personally, is on 110% in every seat and it would be exactly as statistically valid as any one in that tracker

the raw data shows you 1-3% and it's poorly representative

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Rust Martialis posted:

I'm pointing out you (and others here) attack him for using NED money to do good things, as others (elsewhere) attack him for "taking Soros's money" to do good things. Your attacks have nothing to do with anything he does, just your reflexive need to attack anything remotely connected to the US, in this thread and others, is unremitting. You're really no different than the RT shills, except you don't get paid.

The fact he has actually achieved something good in the world, and repeatedly helped people really means nothing to you. All you care about is he got some funding from Sorosthe US.

i mean you love US backed right wing coups in latin america and look how well thats going in bolivia rn

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Spangly A posted:

no

I could write a poll saying that Corbyn, personally, is on 110% in every seat and it would be exactly as statistically valid as any one in that tracker

the raw data shows you 1-3% and it's poorly representative

Urgh let's not go down the "unskewing polls" route.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

if the question is "why are labour 15 points behind" then the only valid answer is "because they're all loving miles out"

if the question is "are labour 10 points behind" then the only valid answer is "no"

Vlex posted:

ok let's just repeat obviously bullshit propaganda without pointing out it's obviously bullshit propaganda

why not just link to laura K's twitter feed every 30 seconds with no further comment than "horrifying if true"?

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 28, 2019

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

quote:

It's gonna tighten up though, still 2 weeks to go.

Huh, if the line is supposed to be an average why are all the most recent points for Labour above their line and the most recent one for the Tories below theirs?

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Vlex posted:

respond with https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/british-public-wrong-about-nearly-everything-survey-shows-8697821.html

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Rust Martialis posted:

next go on about russian bots, I have a bingo going

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Vlex posted:

We literally know that the weightings for a fair few polls are absolutely bonkers, though. That's not unskewing anything, it's pointing out that the polling companies aren't giving us an accurate picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Pollsters, hard at work: