Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I just checked and the manufacturer doesn't even sell this model anymore and all the other lights they sell use different connectors, welp.

Maybe I'll just replace it with some goddamn LED tape...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Well my thing lasted five days before "freezing" this time. However, before restarting it I had the bright idea to connect to the serial port and see if it's spitting out any debug data, and it is, in fact it appears to be running completely fine, except everything that uses the I2C bus isn't... happening... anymore. Huh.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Shame Boy posted:

Well my thing lasted five days before "freezing" this time. However, before restarting it I had the bright idea to connect to the serial port and see if it's spitting out any debug data, and it is, in fact it appears to be running completely fine, except everything that uses the I2C bus isn't... happening... anymore. Huh.

I am not proud to admit that I've worked on actual products that gave up on diagnosing i2c weirdness and just programmed in an auto-rebooter for everything on the bus.

Check for anything on your bus that supports clock stretching as a first area for scrutiny.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Shame Boy posted:

I can't remember the details of your project, but I2C busses getting jammed up is a common issue with the built in Arduino library. If you're using an Arduino, there are other libraries available to fix problems like yours, which may solve the issue.

If you're not using an Arduino, you'll have to find it yourself. Problem is usually related to devices in the wrong power states messing with the bus.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
This thread is huge but I’m looking for a digital oscilloscope. Preferably one with 2+ channels where I can use an open source firmware. Will be used for troubleshooting some older automotive ECUs and and hobby projects. Looking to spend something under $500.

Anyone have a favorite or seen a neat one hit the market recently?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rigol DS1054Z is the all-season recommendation, 4 channels 100MHz 14-megabyte memory depth for $350.

it doesn't have open-source firmware but I can't see any reason you'd actually need that.

google "riglol" for massive damage

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Rigol DS1054Z is the all-season recommendation, 4 channels 100MHz for $350.

it doesn't have open-source firmware but I can't see any reason you'd actually need that.

google "riglol" for massive damage

I think they actually come pre unlocked now.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Spazzle posted:

I think they actually come pre unlocked now.

The two I bought in the last year were.

I also bought a bigger one - I forgot which model number, but one that includes a 16-ch logic analyzer - at the same time and that one was not unlocked in any way. Had to do that one myself.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Thanks y’all!

That looks like a solid rec.

Open sores is just a preference for my autistic broke brain.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You can be the one to launch the open source rigol firmware replacement :eng101:

Also rigol is the best scope option in that price range hands down.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I'm tired of how my scopes keep serving me targeted ads and are always leaking my credit card information.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Spazzle posted:

I'm tired of how my scopes keep serving me targeted ads and are always leaking my credit card information.

Oh god this is going to be a real thing eventually isn't it :smith:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fortunately some hotshot MBA hasn't convinced anyone to put microtransactions into test equipment yet

Giganticon
Mar 10, 2010

Pillbug
On this topic I could also use a hand, my boss gave me 1000$ to buy some test equipment for work. I already have a fancy picoscope that can do FFTs, soldering stuff, lots of debuggers and programmers, a fine bench power supply. I really have everything I need. So I want to buy something frivolous and fun but that won't get me in trouble. Was thinking of an IR camera maybe, or one of those surface mount soldering hot plates. Any tips?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Splode posted:

I can't remember the details of your project, but I2C busses getting jammed up is a common issue with the built in Arduino library. If you're using an Arduino, there are other libraries available to fix problems like yours, which may solve the issue.

If you're not using an Arduino, you'll have to find it yourself. Problem is usually related to devices in the wrong power states messing with the bus.

Nah it's a PIC32MX and I'm using whatever weird libraries and frameworks Microchip makes. I did go into the I2C "driver" and there seems to be some mutex locks without timeouts that could be a problem, I might just bypass the driver layer entirely since it's not really doing anything besides brokering access between multiple clients, then add some checks to reset the bus if stuff times out too much.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Spectral_beard posted:

On this topic I could also use a hand, my boss gave me 1000$ to buy some test equipment for work. I already have a fancy picoscope that can do FFTs, soldering stuff, lots of debuggers and programmers, a fine bench power supply. I really have everything I need. So I want to buy something frivolous and fun but that won't get me in trouble. Was thinking of an IR camera maybe, or one of those surface mount soldering hot plates. Any tips?

If you do surface mount anything for any length of time having one of the hot plate things is a goddamn miracle. It's not as fun as an IR camera though :v:

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

BattleMaster posted:

Fortunately some hotshot MBA hasn't convinced anyone to put microtransactions into test equipment yet

No they have, you have to buy and load digital tokens into some test equipment now, but I forget my example. Definitely seen it though

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sorry, single-shot capture can't be used again until it has cooled down. 23:59:59 remaining...

NEW! Unlock the one-time use Special Cooling Gem Powerup for only 25 KeysightCoins® to cool down single-shot capture immediately!

10 KeysightCoins® - $1.00
30 KeysightCoins® - $1.50
100 KeysightCoins® - $2.50 (BEST VALUE!)

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Spectral_beard posted:

This isn't the fun answer, but is any of your equipment ever borrowed (or requested to be)? If you have everything you need, redundancy is the best pound-for-pound quality of life improvement in my experience.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
get yourself a 50-ton shop press, for testing “anything” to failure. you will become unstoppable. your boss will wish he had fired you while he was still capable of opposing your Hydraulic Will

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

BattleMaster posted:

They've tried. I had one try and tell me that what our multimeter needed was a scoreboard where people could compare measurements ???

Spectral_beard posted:

IR cameras are incredibly useful for finding shorts, highly recommended

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Splode posted:

They've tried. I had one try and tell me that what our multimeter needed was a scoreboard where people could compare measurements ???

Hope that comes with a lifetime warranty.

"The meter was reading about 50 amps until the thing melted, that should count for the leaderboards."

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Whoever measures the highest voltage or current shows up at the top of the online leaderboards and is awarded a free branded company coffin.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

The other funny suggestion from this guy was "it should be easy to change from voltage to current mode"

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Splode posted:

IR cameras are incredibly useful for finding shorts, highly recommended

not that it's a proper substitute for an IR camera but i've seen a bunch of $10 infrared thermometer + pan-tilt servo gimbal + microcontroller "single-sensor IR camera" builds that produce p impressive results, if you can live with it taking a long while to 'develop' a single image, ie

but i bet you could get higher-res scan times down to seconds or minutes instead of hours by using one of those still-cheap 4x16 ir sensor arrays and decent servos for the gimbal

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 26, 2019

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

That's very clever. Not a great tool for short detection though, as you really only want to keep the circuit powered for a few seconds to avoid burning anything

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

This discussion got me searching around, too. There are some cool looking DIY projects, there is a 32x24 sensor from Melexis for < $50 used in the cheaper projects and the fancier ones use FLIR lepton modules at $200-300.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Splode posted:

That's very clever. Not a great tool for short detection though, as you really only want to keep the circuit powered for a few seconds to avoid burning anything

i can't program my way out of a paper bag, but from my limited vantage point it oughtn't be too difficult to to wrap an imaging duty cycle mode into the scanning program + add the basic needed components to permit the microcontroller to directly switch the tested circuit on and off. raster-scan the desired area as per normal (with all desired sampling points being divvied up into array grid-sized sectors), except instead of scanning as fast as possible the tested circuit is 'pulsed' in a predetermined way, with one scan occurring at the same time in each cycle.

if you used a decently-sized array to begin with i don't think the scanning times would be prohibitive. i bet it'd also help even out the ~~~temporal smudging~~~ that apparently causes a lot of the noise in this raster-scan approach to IR imaging, because it'd sort of replicate a single shared moment in time for all the sample points (or at least in the way that matters for short detection) vs. having each pixel in the scan actually represent a different moment across a two-hour period or w/e

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Ambrose Burnside posted:

i can't program my way out of a paper bag, but from my limited vantage point it oughtn't be too difficult to to wrap an imaging duty cycle mode into the scanning program + add the basic needed components to permit the microcontroller to directly switch the tested circuit on and off. raster-scan the desired area as per normal (with all desired sampling points being divvied up into array grid-sized sectors), except instead of scanning as fast as possible the tested circuit is 'pulsed' in a predetermined way, with one scan occurring at the same time in each cycle.

if you used a decently-sized array to begin with i don't think the scanning times would be prohibitive. i bet it'd also help even out the ~~~temporal smudging~~~ that apparently causes a lot of the noise in this raster-scan approach to IR imaging, because it'd sort of replicate a single shared moment in time for all the sample points (or at least in the way that matters for short detection) vs. having each pixel in the scan actually represent a different moment across a two-hour period or w/e

You're a genius

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Real electronics aimed reflow stuff for <$1000 is likely to be pretty crappy and frustrating. Just get a normal hot plate/toaster oven, then get an ir camera if you want to fun, or something like a better dmm/hot air+solder station/pcb preheater if you want to be practical

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Splode posted:

The other funny suggestion from this guy was "it should be easy to change from voltage to current mode"

It should automatically switch between voltage and current measurements every second so you get both readings!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I mean, it has like 4 holes for probes, get with it. I want to use them all, all the time.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Spectral_beard posted:

I definitely vote for the IR camera. If you do anything with power it’s extremely comforting to have an IR camera pointed at your board. And you’ll inevitably find hot areas you didn’t expect. Plus it’s the best tool for finding shorts.

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

This thread is huge but I’m looking for a digital oscilloscope. Preferably one with 2+ channels where I can use an open source firmware. Will be used for troubleshooting some older automotive ECUs and and hobby projects. Looking to spend something under $500.

Anyone have a favorite or seen a neat one hit the market recently?

Rigol is nice for $350 but Siglent’s 1104 is better if you spend $500. It’s a newer architecture with better performance. No lag, simpler user interface. Bus decoding and all the other bells and whistles.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've been comparing the two and it seems like the Siglent is nice but if you want the logic analyzer, you're paying 400 bucks on the siglent vs 200 with the Rigol.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Who doesn't want a logic analyzer at some point?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking to source some boards to run pi wall across a dozen or so CRTs (so, a composite output is needed).

Is there a trick to purchasing multiple rpi zero or zero w? Or is there a clone with composite out (pi zero w has it on two pins instead of the trrs jack) and preferably wifi?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
The earlier Pis have composite outputs don't they?

Also if you look up the Gert VGA 666, that gives you a crappy VGA output from the header pins, might be cheaper / more fun to turn that into composite

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ante posted:

The earlier Pis have composite outputs don't they?

Also if you look up the Gert VGA 666, that gives you a crappy VGA output from the header pins, might be cheaper / more fun to turn that into composite

Every other time I've looked up old pi's they don't appear to actually drop in price much, new or otherwise. Unless I come across a lucky bin full of old ones on ebay I guess.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

moron izzard posted:

Every other time I've looked up old pi's they don't appear to actually drop in price much, new or otherwise. Unless I come across a lucky bin full of old ones on ebay I guess.

Hah I actually have about 40 old Pi 1's sitting in a bin at work, but there's no way I can sell them or otherwise get rid of them on account of government property tags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Even the Pi 4B has composite out but it's part of the TRRS audio jack, one of the conductors is composite video. They turned it off by default in the image but you can re-enable it in the config.txt and use it with the right cable:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt/video.md