Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Rhesus Pieces posted:

episode 56 - Newport Sex Scandal

the investigator's "notes" are loving hilarious.

And to think all of that was approved by (then Assistant Secretary to the Navy) loving FDR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Thanks for the recommendations, all! The Soylent episode was great, and I'll try to get through all of the episodes everyone suggested.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shinji2015 posted:

Thanks for the recommendations, all! The Soylent episode was great, and I'll try to get through all of the episodes everyone suggested.

if you want a good episode and like animals, try Macquarie Island

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

Are you talking about the movie with Tony Curtis and Jack Lemon for the 1965? Don’t get me wrong I love The Great Race, but I really think it could be described as “Inspired By” at best. I certainly don’t recall a giant pie fight in the Dollop version.

That being said, I think a movie that held close to the actual facts and people involved could be make a hilarious movie with the right cast and director.

Yeah The Great Race was "inspired by" the 1908 New York to Paris race and honestly, if a pie fight broke out during the Dollop's telling of the story by about halfway through, would you have even blinked by that point

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I'm going through old episodes again, and in the Arthur Bremer live episode from Milwaukee, I had forgotten about the bit where Bremer goes to a Blood, Sweat & Tears concert, which makes Dave sing "spinnin' wheel" occasionally during the rest of the episode, but it's just that line, and it's off-key enough that Gareth is confused about what song it actually is. Later on in the episode, Dave finds and plays the song, and Gareth calls him out on it sounding nothing like the actual song.

It's funnier than it sounds.

Seconding Newport Sex Scandal as a good episode.

I like this part of the thread cycle, because I get to list other episodes that I don't think anyone's mentioned in the last page or so: Marion Zioncheck (222), Bass Reeves (176), Stagecoach Mary (135), The Fenian Raids (106), Porter Rockwell (74), The Jumper (158) and Pedestrianism (159). The last two aren't an actual two-parter, but they're pretty similar in content. Also, the Fenians show up in episodes after 106 as minor/side characters, but Gareth wouldn't have such a great reaction if it hadn't been for the one where they invade Canada but instead make Canada bigger. The rest of the ones I listed are just good fun Dollops (mostly - Zioncheck's death wasn't great, but his life more than made up for it). I like pretty much all the Australian episodes, but I'd especially recommend The Tichborne Situation (211), The Fine Cotton Scandal (124), The Emu War (111), and Mad Dan Morgan (109). Even if you already know about the Emu War, Gareth does (did) not.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 29, 2019

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I want a Dollop on the second Tour de France, the cheatiest race in recorded history, even though it's French.

That poo poo was Looney Tunes. One guy cheated by using a cable he locked onto cars that he held in his mouth.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

FedEx Flight 705 (#160) is another one of those crazy ones where it just keeps becoming more and more insane somehow

#181 Martin Tabert and Convict Leasing is also one of the ones that will make you very angry (and one of their few Florida episodes)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
America's Worst Lottery Winner (172) is a good one, and also a smollop. If you want to see a man lose their sanity from money...

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
did Dave ever do an episode on the guy who broke Press Your Luck

I feel like had has had to have

ed: episode 55

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 29, 2019

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

did Dave ever do an episode on the guy who broke Press Your Luck

I feel like had has had to have

ed: episode 55

That ep along with the Marvin Heemeyer one was removed from the main feed due to plagiarism accusations from drat Interesting (if you look at their articles on the subjects while listening to the ep, it's like Dave is literally reading them aloud) but you can find them off site if you Google them. I still enjoy both of them quite a bit though.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Some of the British Dollops are great in their insanity.

Cyril the Swan, The Glasgow Ice Cream Wars, and the Gin Craze are amazing. British alcoholism helped make America and Australia.

The Joseph Lister one will drive you insane in seeing how entrenched the old powers are against progress. Who would have thought cleanliness would be beneficial to surgery patient survival?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Forceholy posted:

Some of the British Dollops are great in their insanity.

Cyril the Swan, The Glasgow Ice Cream Wars, and the Gin Craze are amazing. British alcoholism helped make America and Australia.

The Joseph Lister one will drive you insane in seeing how entrenched the old powers are against progress. Who would have thought cleanliness would be beneficial to surgery patient survival?
I have not listened to the Glasgow one yet but those other three are great, especially Cyril the Swan. That episode feels like they are describing some comedy movie from the 1980s.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Yeah all the UK episodes were great. Though everything about witch trials is very :smith:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I recently tried to relisten to the St. Louis Olympics ep and the audio is hosed up to the point it sounds sped up or they are all on laughing gas. I had to listen to the YouTube version just to make sure it wasn't a problem with my phone. Hope they fix it since it's one of my favorite eps.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

This one and the one on Ferguson are some of the most infuriating things you can ever listen to. (And maybe the one on the Iraq War)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's pretty cool how even if Erik Prince wasn't a monstrous mercenary king he's personally abominable.

Showing up with the visibly pregnant babysitter at your wife's funeral is probably the most sociopathic thing I've ever heard.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Binowru posted:

This one and the one on Ferguson are some of the most infuriating things you can ever listen to. (And maybe the one on the Iraq War)

i found iraq war pretty depressing on a macro level. like as they said, "it could have worked" but the bush admin basicaly just hosed up every step of the way or just put morons in charge of poo poo. ferguson is depressing because there are a million fergusons in this country and they are all equally hosed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i found iraq war pretty depressing on a macro level. like as they said, "it could have worked" but the bush admin basicaly just hosed up every step of the way or just put morons in charge of poo poo. ferguson is depressing because there are a million fergusons in this country and they are all equally hosed.
In Iraq, they absolutely did everything the opposite of how you would do it if you were trying to rebuild

It ended up being the playground for political donors who didn't know the first thing about Iraq

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I've never listened to their episode but they put a 26 year old with no economic expertise in charge of re-opening the Iraqi stock market.

And I can't imagine being stupid enough to think de-baathification was a good idea.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

I've never listened to their episode but they put a 26 year old with no economic expertise in charge of re-opening the Iraqi stock market.

And I can't imagine being stupid enough to think de-baathification was a good idea.

alot of the people were loving liberty U grads and such. basicaly W put tons of donors and failsons and weird inbred evangelicals into places they had no right to be.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They sealed the fate of the entire country when they announced the de-Baathification plan, while (I assume) not understanding that almost everyone had to be registered as a party member to get a government job, whether they were actually pro-Saddam or not

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

FlamingLiberal posted:

They sealed the fate of the entire country when they announced the de-Baathification plan, while (I assume) not understanding that almost everyone had to be registered as a party member to get a government job, whether they were actually pro-Saddam or not

Yeah the episode goes over that particular shitshow.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

They tried to shift the country to credit cards and electronic food stamps before anyone had even looked at trying to get Iraq's electrical grid re-functioning.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
The gift never ends

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

like from an idiots perspective i get the idea but baathism isnt comparable to nazism really and pissing away the glue that holds a super sectarian society together is really bad.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

We half-assed denazification and handed it over to the Germans who pretty much dropped it (that's how even people that attended the Wannsee Conference were able to get normal jobs and die free). The Soviets went all-out on it in East Germany though.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

We half-assed denazification and handed it over to the Germans who pretty much dropped it (that's how even people that attended the Wannsee Conference were able to get normal jobs and die free). The Soviets went all-out on it in East Germany though.

yeah but they also hosed up too and east germany is hotbed for nazi poo poo. alot nazis manged to survive under the soviets and the soviet method was basicaly "it was all hitlers fault and your all blameless" to the east germans instead of the more self interrogating methods which led to them blaming themselves for hitlers rise and such. basically, we needed to purge all the nazis hard and than self interrogate.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Groovelord Neato posted:

I mean, yea but the core difference there is A) the soviets absolutely did not 'go all out', they very much centered their efforts on 'if you were a nobody pencil pusher we will let you back into society as long as you agree that whole nazi thing was just hitler going nutty' so a lot of proud nazis were able to slip in, and B) the soviets wanted to actually build up eastern germany and we had all of zero interest in making Iraq a functioning nation if it in any way delayed us making bank off them

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

What? No. They just put up the wall and called it a day. Saxony was always a hotbed for Nazis.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Veskit posted:

Uber is worth it alone for jam pad

Just finished this episode and Holy poo poo does it make me happy I never used an Uber in my life.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Digital Jedi posted:

Just finished this episode and Holy poo poo does it make me happy I never used an Uber in my life.

I think that episode was recorded before Ubers self driving cars murdered a woman.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

I think that episode was recorded before Ubers self driving cars murdered a woman.

they mention the ai deathmachines a little but it just better to riff off the jam pad

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I think they recorded that episode a week before the shithead CEO of Uber got fired, it was impeccable timing.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Why did they huff helium for the Olympics episode(#150)?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

PJOmega posted:

I just listened to this episode, and I assumed that it was at a higher speed (which was highlighted by a current ad by the guys in the ad break which sounded normal). Very off-putting.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

PJOmega posted:

Like I mentioned above, that episode seems to have been reuploaded with screwed up audio. If you look up the ad on YouTube, they sound normal.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
This pleasant and very normal news about Uber just came out today:

Uber Office Had Separate Bathrooms for Drivers and ‘Employees’
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/wjwwqw/uber-office-had-separate-bathrooms-for-drivers-and-employees

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Only 300 episodes left to listen to till I finish them all.

The Newsie Strike might be the most adorable episode I've listened to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Digital Jedi posted:

The Newsie Strike might be the most adorable episode I've listened to.

One of the best Gareth episodes