Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

SirSamVimes posted:

That's extremely depressing.

Yeah. It's much more depressing in the new canon since the clones are actual individuals instead of unthinking automatons. Which means once Order 66 is complete a lot of clones are traumatized by being forced to murder Jedi who were their friends against their will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Farm Frenzy posted:

I didn't want to go back

Then you barely need the map in the first place!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SirSamVimes posted:

That's extremely depressing.

yeah it is. the whole clone wars cgi cartoon makes a bunch of clones main characters and there is some dark and depressing poo poo that happens to them.

OhFunny posted:

Yeah. It's much more depressing in the new canon since the clones are actual individuals instead of unthinking automatons. Which means once Order 66 is complete a lot of clones are traumatized by being forced to murder Jedi who were their friends against their will.

this too. than they basically all get replaced by recruits and dumb kids and conscripts who are even more indoctrinated because they are basicaly trained since preteens in academy.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

If we get a squeal I hope they let us play as Cere. Cal is alright, but she has the better character and conflicts, hands down.

I was very glad they didn't kill her off, as tends to happen with mentor figures in stories like this one. The partnership of equals she and Cal evolve into by the end was cool.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 28, 2019

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

It’s a good story beat though, I guess I’ll spoiler it
you find Cordova’s lightsaber in his workshop. Cal decides to use Cordova’s workbench to attach it to his so Cordova will “always be with him”
It’s actually kinda neat he’s running around with his old master’s saber and his new “master”s saber until Cal can build his own

It's really neat storywise but it equally sucks that the upgrade path is simply single saber -> double-bladed saber with no option for dual sabers. Least of all because I really hate the double saber, always have and avoid it in games wherever possible.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Double Bladed Sabers are sick because Wushu staff forms look awesome as hell even if you can't grip the ends for obvious reasons

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Eej posted:

Double Bladed Sabers are sick because Wushu staff forms look awesome as hell even if you can't grip the ends for obvious reasons

SWTOR introduced the lightsaber pike, which is like a double saber but not completely ridiculous to use in practice

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Facing Vader is probably what it's like for normal stormtroopers when they try to go up against Cal

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Bust Rodd posted:

Strong disagree. This game isn’t doing anything wrong by incorporating different elements together, but the half-bakes nature of components is what is dragging it down. If this game had the exact same content BUT the combat was tighter with better lock-on and the Meditation circles worked as Fast Travel points and the cosmetics did literally anything cool it would be a full letter grade higher.

I agree, but that's not the case and they could have streamlined their design into a better game than trying to do everything at once.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bust Rodd posted:

Strong disagree. This game isn’t doing anything wrong by incorporating different elements together, but the half-bakes nature of components is what is dragging it down. If this game had the exact same content BUT the combat was tighter with better lock-on and the Meditation circles worked as Fast Travel points and the cosmetics did literally anything cool it would be a full letter grade higher.

Meditation points absolutely should not have been fast travel, part of the point of a metroidvania game is the traversal.

They should have done the Metroid Prime Corruption thing of having multiple landing points per planet though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I would have been satisfied if "Return to Ship" was a menu option. Or even a meditation option. Full fast travel doesn't really jive with this game's layout...but a quick "time to leave" option would be a great QoL touch

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Just saw some commercials for this that spoil both the double saber and Vader at the end. What the hell, commercials!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

10 Beers posted:

Just saw some commercials for this that spoil both the double saber and Vader at the end. What the hell, commercials!

Why would anyone be surprised about either? The double saber is in literally every Star Wars game involving lightsabers since The Phantom Menace. And why would anyone NOT expect X to show up in a game about Jedi set between the PT and OT?

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 28, 2019

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Jose Oquendo posted:

Why would anyone be surprised about either? The double saber is in literally every Star Wars game involving lightsabers since The Phantom Menace. And why would anyone NOT expect Vader to show up in a game about Jedi set between the PT and OT?

:shrug: I was surprised by Vader showing up. And you don't need to be a dick by posting an untagged spoiler about the end of the game.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Why would anyone be surprised about either?

I was surprised. It's a good moment and also the ultimate conclusion of the game and that's not worth spoiling.

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.

skasion posted:

Warp between circles should have been a late late game powerup triggered by getting Merrin to join the party. Since you know, she can teleport and everything. And also that’s the time when you will be poking through the rear end ends of the levels looking for those collectibles you missed before the end of the game.

:five:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The double saber is "spoiled" in the options menu, pretty sure it wasn't meant to be a secret

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

precision posted:

The double saber is "spoiled" in the options menu, pretty sure it wasn't meant to be a secret

Yeah, you're right. I didn't even think of that.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Got all trophies on PS4, normal difficulty. Had to use guides to find about a dozen datapoints/secrets/chests that I missed, most of which were in spots where you needed to stop and look backwards during a bit of level traversal that encouraged you to keep moving.

The one achievement where you kill a trooper with their own slowed blaster bolt was loving DUMB. Cool as poo poo to actually do, because I never really considered using force pull to pull a dude into a blast they just fired. Had a similar problem with the tongue cut achievement, spent ten minutes trying to dodge and still have time enough to slow and chop the tongue off before getting frustrated enough to just google it. Force pull for the win again!

Finally, I got super lucky on the three kills with one saber throw, I was herding up stormtroopers and some distant ones fired at me, when I reflected all three of their bolts back at them, it somehow triggered the achievement.

Loved the game, would have rather had a multiple landing spots and fast travel to the ship along with arkham styled fighting. Really want an exploration of magick and other weird expressions of force sensitivity.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Fights against multiple enemies were definitely something that needed more work. A few moves you get were basically useless because they left you vulnerable and have no I frames. Like the triangle triangle combo that does overhead slash then leaping slash, doing that was never a good idea, but it was clearly intended to be powerful

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

precision posted:

Fights against multiple enemies were definitely something that needed more work. A few moves you get were basically useless because they left you vulnerable and have no I frames. Like the triangle triangle combo that does overhead slash then leaping slash, doing that was never a good idea, but it was clearly intended to be powerful

I pretty much used that move when I got a stagger opening on tough enemies. It's one of if not Cal's most damaging move.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

precision posted:

Those moves are great for using when an enemy is stunned or knocked over or whatever. You don't really need Iframes when you have the ability to stun pretty much any enemy in the game in like 4-5 different ways. Even in groups you can knock most of them over and then go to town.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Just finished this.

Sure there are quibbles but it was a solid single player starwar with decent gameplay and a good and reaonably compelling story. I actually liked the first battlefront but it's still a breath of fresh air to have a sp star wars that's a complete package without mtx and loot boxes. They nailed the characters and I want to see their further adventures. I also want Cal and Merrin to do romance. I ship it.

I love how they handled vader. You don't fight him, you survive him. They really sold it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Surprisingly Cal and Merrin have pretty decent chemistry. I loved their little exchanges after the Malikos fight.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

Surprisingly Cal and Merrin have pretty decent chemistry. I loved their little exchanges after the Malikos fight.

Yeah, that's true, it's a real pity Merrin is such a late game character, she'd be fun to have around much more. It was most fun when she's following you around for a little bit outside the ship just commenting on stuff, I could have done with way more of that - appearing every now and then on some ledge commenting about what's happening around you, but not helping.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Nov 29, 2019

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
It felt like maybe that character was supposed to be around for more of the game.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
"Hey, Cal, Listen!"

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

OhFunny posted:

But this was kind of always the case they are just expanding it. The clones are symbolic / metaphorical representations of those who follow the idea of state and country over religion.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this too. than they basically all get replaced by recruits and dumb kids and conscripts who are even more indoctrinated because they are basicaly trained since preteens in academy.

Case in point. Just like real life.

The bigger change is the mandalorians that are being fleshed out in the TV show but the change there does not effect all that much in canon. Jango being the 'template' for all the clones (including his own son) is another way of saying the state copied the ideas an individual which is now a group in canon that lived for an idea, so arguably a religious group. If we believe the claims of judaism then they were the first and possibly the states of canaan copied them replacing 'god' with a singular king or queen. If we don't then they stole the idea and refined it. The joker and the thief.

Catsplosion fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Nov 29, 2019

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Really wish there was a New Game+

I'd enjoy playing the game against with all my poo poo unlocked, but screw starting from scratch with no fast travel.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Skippy McPants posted:

Really wish there was a New Game+

I'd enjoy playing the game against with all my poo poo unlocked, but screw starting from scratch with no fast travel.

i assume they will push one out at some point. probably keep upgrades but lose you powers until story moments but get them fully upgraded immediately

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dogen posted:

It felt like maybe that character was supposed to be around for more of the game.

Not gonna lie, a big part of me 100%ing this game was to spend more time getting interaction moments with her. When Greeze starts to warm up to her it's great.

BTW, I have another gently caress ZEFFO complaint: On one of the map sections in there, you cannot fully explore the map unless you use an air current in another map section to travel back to it. Every other planet map section had full exploration just by finding chests, secrets, and echos. This was bananas because there was no indication on the map display of where the missing section was.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I spent an awkwardly long time on Zeffo's first tomb because I found the first and third balls, completely skipping over the second one sitting in a room that opens up when the first switch is pressed (that raises the two platforms on the left side of the room)

Was pretty cool using Slow to stop a ball in midair so you could Push it another way though

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The ball puzzles were really neat and it's a bit weird that the game just stopped having puzzles at all after that

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
There were some on dathomir, but only like two step push and slow panels

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That was probably the biggest part where I felt the game suffered a bit in trying to do too many things. The simpler environmental traversal puzzles were fine, but the big ball puzzles never really gelled with the rest of the game for me, I felt like either having more large puzzle sections or taking them out would've fit better.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

That one Zeffo sage really loved playing with their balls and demanded that anyone who wanted their secrets must do the same

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

the first puzzle requires you to blow on them

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Ball Puzzles were definitely "we played Breath of the Wild" but then they ran out of time to add more balls everywhere

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just chiming in to say that this is probably my favorite Star Wars game since I was a wee lad getting my uncle to beat Super Star Wars levels for me. I don't understand why it took this long for EA to figure this poo poo out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

Just chiming in to say that this is probably my favorite Star Wars game since I was a wee lad getting my uncle to beat Super Star Wars levels for me. I don't understand why it took this long for EA to figure this poo poo out.

:capitalism:

It's harder to "monetize" a game you just sell people and let them play and enjoy, instead of the usual multiplayer skinner box where they need to gamble to get the gun or skin they want. They had to try it every other way they thought was going to let them milk nerds to buy virtual scratch off tickets before landing on the correct way to make a game.