Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

jng2058 posted:

X-Force #2 was better than the first issue, mostly because of Kid Omega. But better isn't the same as good and they've got just one issue left to keep me on board, in line with my Three Issue Protocol.

Fallen Angels is likewise on the precipice. Most of the other books have at least some thematic links to the original books of that name. X-Men and New Mutants work especially well in that regard, but even X-Force has some carry over characters and the theme of "X-Men black ops team" still works. Excalibur is working hard on elements that were a big deal in the Claremont/Davis era, and especially so on the Davis solo books. Marauders, of course, is a brand new book with no predecessor unless you count Pirate Kitty from Kitty's Fairy Tale and the Nightcrawler mini. But Fallen Angels doesn't really have much to do with the old Fallen Angels mini, and instead seems to be aiming for "The OTHER X-Men black ops team" which just isn't working for me, not least of which because the keep backsliding Laura. (Where the hell is Gabby, anyway?) Not connecting to a title long left by the wayside isn't crippling, of course, but I'm having a hard time caring about brooding Psylocke, young man Cable, and out of character Laura. One issue left before I hit eject.

New Mutants continues to be a lot of fun. Of course they are kind of lampshading everywhere now that it was a really stupid idea to let Doug wander off into space, but that's part of the fun.

Reading New Mutants #2 first did the other two x-books no favours. It's just so fun, like Marauders, so more typical X-Men fare ain't gonna do it. Excalibur hasn't clicked as a team for me yet, but is full of interesting developments and has cool mythical beasties to carry it in the beginning. FA and X-Force feel like old x-books, but on Krakoa. There's craft there (though Laura is looking oddly young in FA - the art is very inconsistent and her lines are just weird) particularly with the plots, but the character's voices are pretty stock and there's nothing surprising or invigorating.

Not sure how I feel about Domino's treatment too - kind of a nastier homage to OG X-Force, which is jarring after she had her fun times with her posse recently. She will hopefully add some needed levity to the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm just really interested in seeing where the Psylocke stuff goes. She got a raw deal several times over the years so a book around her seems like a nice idea.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

If Fallen Angels were written by Hickman I’d probably be suspecting the same thing people did with Jean about Laura. What purpose does regressing her like 5 years of her best stories serve?? And why is she drawn even younger looking still?

Anyway New Mutants and Marauders are tied for the greatest, gently caress everything else

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I liked X-Force #2 way more than #1, but Fallen Angels is off my but list going forward. I'm sure my love of Quire helped, but still. New Mutants continues to be fantastic.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Is Psylocke really that big of a character in the world or fandom? She just seems like a Hot Topic Elektra knock off so far in FA

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She was a psychic ninja with her rear end hanging out in the 90s.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Sandwolf posted:

Is Psylocke really that big of a character in the world or fandom? She just seems like a Hot Topic Elektra knock off so far in FA

She is absolutely a big character in the world of fandom and a Hot Topic Elektra knockoff.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sandwolf posted:

i can guarantee you more people know who Psylocke is than Elektra

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

yeah, thats why I'll keep reading X-Men, NM and Marauders. They're just fun.

Not sure about Excalibur but the rest just eeeeeeeh.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I was reading through an old X thread not too long ago and everyone hated Si Spurrier's X-Force when that started and that ended up being my favorite run of the title. I'm not saying Percy's run is gonna reach that high but I'm not gonna throw it in the trash because I'm not immediately happy with it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm giving everything 3 issues, Fallen Angels is the most likely for to drop though.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Fallen Angels sucks. X-Force is mediocre. New Mutants, X-Men, and Marauders are the good ones. Watch in a year it's the exact opposite lol.

Alaois posted:

in honor of Chris Claremont's 69th birthday, every X line book that comes out today will have at least 1 panel of Storm getting naked and taking a shower by generating a rain cloud for no real reason.

If I was a nature god I would be naked and bathed in rainbows and rain showers 24/7, and anyone who told me to put clothes on would get lightning bolt'd. This would also be a really good reason for people not to like mutants.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The biggest sticking point against Fallen Angels is honestly the art for me.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Isn't Fallen Angels only a miniseries? I might stick with it if it's only going to be 6 issues or so. I'm not really enthused by it, but if it's 1/3 done anyway...

X-Force just sucks. Even Quentin Quire can't help it. The last page reveal is a really curious choice, too: we've already established that Domino has been captured and partially skinned. Gasp! It's Domino, captured and partially skinned!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Rochallor posted:

X-Force just sucks. Even Quentin Quire can't help it. The last page reveal is a really curious choice, too: we've already established that Domino has been captured and partially skinned. Gasp! It's Domino, captured and partially skinned!

I took the reveal a different way. They established that she'd been captured and had her skin used to bypass Krakoa's defensive net, but not that they were keeping her in a tank (potentially still alive?) and are actively using her to manufacture supersoldiers.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Yeah I'd assumed she was dead

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Rochallor posted:

Isn't Fallen Angels only a miniseries? I might stick with it if it's only going to be 6 issues or so. I'm not really enthused by it, but if it's 1/3 done anyway...

Oh cool, pointless shock cruelty. That's one less book I have to buy.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

X-Force really does feel like a pre-Krakoa X-Men book that's missing the ostensible point of the reboot. Feels like their whole thing should be about black ops spy games on behalf of Krakoa, rather than them just doing generic edgy stuff with Krakoa as a home base.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
X-Force starts with responding to a key incident, so they'll get around to more formal missions later.

Don't think it's "missing the point" either. Humanity threatening (or planning to) Krakoa is relevant.

That said, definitely one of the two "darker" books but, IMO, it's more solid than Fallen Angels so far.

I think it's good for the line to have room for variety. Everything can't be as chill as Marauders.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

also the loving panel borders on most other pages are so busy all the time just let my eyes rest

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

when you turn on the front camera by accident

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

lmao, I was thinking the same thing.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Imnotliketheothergirls.jpg

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
The scene in New Mutants where everyone is hanging around playing cards is exactly what I want out of these X-Men books. I love Magik's line about not having a formal education.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Cloks posted:

The scene in New Mutants where everyone is hanging around playing cards is exactly what I want out of these X-Men books. I love Magik's line about not having a formal education.

Another student let down by the curriculum at Xavier's 'School' for Gifted Youngsters.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

personally i like that the line is a gradient of tones

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Imnotliketheothergirls.jpg
Ugh. Has the writer come out and apologised for this, too?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The first 3-4 issues were probably already scripted when the feedback/resulting apology came in so Laura's not changing for a bit

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

just losing all her character development for the last few years, nbd

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Obviously New Mutants was the best, but I thought X-Force was alright too. I'm intrigued by the mystery that Domino was investigating. What did Jean see inside the mind of their captive? Who is behind these designer Reavers? I think it's pretty solid.

Fallen Angels was not as good as Issue #1, tbh. The pacing was all over the place. This one might read better in trade, maybe?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

X-Force is getting better. It’s an interesting non-team, and I want to see where they go with it.

Fallen Angels just seems like some Psylocke mini that rolled into this big relaunch. It doesn’t really do anything to build up this new world. Of course Apoth is probably one of Apocalypse’s family or whatever that person was in X-Men #2.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/OliverSava/status/1201612177867755520

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Ugh. Has the writer come out and apologised for this, too?

What is there to apologize for? Genuinely curious, but I do not follow...whatever comic that is from.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

is there a new timeline of releases for the x-books?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

enigmahfc posted:

What is there to apologize for? Genuinely curious, but I do not follow...whatever comic that is from.

The character in question, X-23, just spent the last several years in her own book (All-New Wolverine) dealing with these very issues, and was doing much better, thank you. The writer of Fallen Angels has decided that the best thing to do would be to ignore all that growth, growth that most every fan of the character quite enjoyed and thought was a positive development for the character, mind, and reset her back to where she was before All-New Wolverine, in effect invalidating a much beloved run. Having been called on this very thing by readers after the first issue of Fallen Angels, the writer then apologized for the error and promised to characterize her better in the future.

This being the SECOND issue of Fallen Angels, there's some annoyance that X-23 is STILL acting out of character.

That said, given comic production times it's entirely likely that as many as the first four or even six issues of Fallen Angels have already been written and are at the artist or even further along in production, making it difficult if not impossible to make significant changes, so I'm grudgingly inclined to give them a pass on that score. If things haven't improved by the second arc (around issue seven or so) then there will be some upset fans out there. Though since I'm not particularly enjoying Fallen Angels for other reasons, including the art, tone of the story, and characters I don't care about, there's a significant chance that I won't even be reading the book and won't know or care if they get X-23's character right by then. :shrug:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Well that's a gigantic Havoc in the back judging from the headgear, the egg in the middle is Nanny, has to be Nanny it's an egg and Nanny is the only egg so Orphanmaker must be in front of her even though neither of them are mutants (I guess the egg could be Sugar Man maybe but he loving sucks), the leaping clawed woman is Feral, that's Sinister's cape, gloved dude in the front is probably Vulcan, so that just leaves dude behind Vulcan and the woman with the katana which has to be either Kate Pryde in demon ninja mode or Psylocke. I can't think of any other X-women who used a katana.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'd say sinister, havok and Vulcan for sure. Leaping person looks like sabertooth to me, and yeah egg thing looks like nanny but idk about that. Maybe deathstrike with the sword?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

So a villain team? What old name could you resurrect for this? The Brotherhood? Nasty Boys?

... Freedom Force?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Little Mac posted:

So a villain team? What old name could you resurrect for this? The Brotherhood? Nasty Boys?

... Freedom Force?

The Sinister Six

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The woman with the sword is definitely Rasputin from the House/Powers of X books.

And I'm going with a definite Nanny and the Orphan Maker, Sinister, and Havok. The others I'm not sure of.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 3, 2019