Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
pro tip if you hate the starting swords try unequipping one or both and use unarmed. i almost dropped the game before realizing that the low damage of naked fists didnt matter because they have ludicrous attack speed and mobility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I had the chance to play another hour so I'm gonna post some random thoughts. Not sure what the spoiler policy is but I'll spoil it all. I think I'm still at the very beginning of the story and definitely don't know what these "routes" are that people are talking about.

I played up until just after the fight with Ken Doll Sephiroth.

The music is quite good--it's honestly probably the best part of the game so far.

The combat is frustrating. The lock-on just doesn't seem to work as intuitively for me as the lock-ons in Bloodborne or Assassin's Creed Odyssey did so I end up locking on to the wrong enemy or it not locking on at all and then I can't see the enemy so I just spam square and hope I hit.

Not sure what his deal is or why the robots want children even though they seem to be quite capable of making more of themselves--or at least there are a ton of them. I don't really understand where the drive for reproduction comes from. Honestly not sure what the robots even are yet or why they rebelled in the first place against humans. Although I wonder if the big twist reveal is going to be that the robots are somehow humans all along.

Speaking of humans, the timeline seems inconsistent? Like I thought one character mentioned that humanity had only been on the moon for 100 years but I got an email saying it had been 1000s of years. Maybe I misheard or maybe they're setting up for another reveal that humanity has been dead for forever and this is all just prerecorded messages from the moon.

Another thing I don't get is androids. They seem decidedly irrational for being machine creatures themselves. Like I got some email about astrology from one of the operators and another asked me to retrieve her mentor's black box as a memento. Again sure there's something to be revealed there.

Other mysteries currently:
-Why do some of the other androids act like 2B is such a big deal?
-Why did 2B remember what happened at the factory but 9S doesn't? I feel like that intro was probably a lot of foreshadowing in general.
-Why is there like a resistance if they're all just refugees? Shouldn't they just all be a part of YorHa?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rosalind posted:

I had the chance to play another hour so I'm gonna post some random thoughts. Not sure what the spoiler policy is but I'll spoil it all. I think I'm still at the very beginning of the story and definitely don't know what these "routes" are that people are talking about.

The music is quite good--it's honestly probably the best part of the game so far.

The combat is frustrating. The lock-on just doesn't seem to work as intuitively for me as the lock-ons in Bloodborne or Assassin's Creed Odyssey did so I end up locking on to the wrong enemy or it not locking on at all and then I can't see the enemy so I just spam square and hope I hit.

Not sure what his deal is or why the robots want children even though they seem to be quite capable of making more of themselves--or at least there are a ton of them. I don't really understand where the drive for reproduction comes from. Honestly not sure what the robots even are yet or why they rebelled in the first place against humans. Although I wonder if the big twist reveal is going to be that the robots are somehow humans all along.

Speaking of humans, the timeline seems inconsistent? Like I thought one character mentioned that humanity had only been on the moon for 100 years but I got an email saying it had been 1000s of years. Maybe I misheard or maybe they're setting up for another reveal that humanity has been dead for forever and this is all just prerecorded messages from the moon.

Another thing I don't get is androids. They seem decidedly irrational for being machine creatures themselves. Like I got some email about astrology from one of the operators and another asked me to retrieve her mentor's black box as a memento. Again sure there's something to be revealed there.

-Why did 2B remember what happened at the factory but 9S doesn't? I feel like that intro was probably a lot of foreshadowing in general.
-Why is there like a resistance if they're all just refugees? Shouldn't they just all be a part of YorHa?

Generally the deeper into the game the more you want to spoiler tag stuff.

Anyway the stuff that I can talk about without spoilering you for later stuff.
There is a timeline out there but the basics are is that the game is taking 9000 years or so in the future. Just be aware it may contain spoilers so be careful about looking it up.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rosalind posted:

I'll try not to say anything past where you are, but I may have accidentally. If so, I apologize. Just, in general, most of your questions have answers eventually. (Even if Taro had to make them up on the spot to appease a drunken Aoi Yuuki.)

The robots were made by aliens, not humans. They're not just pretending to have babies, but pretending to gently caress, which is weird.

Androids have all the human emotions, and can be just as weird as people. 2B's whole Emotions Are Prohibited bit is technically in the rules, but she's much stricter about it than average.

2B's a big deal because she's a badass. High mission clear rate, and she just saved the day in a mission that could have lost the whole war.

She remembers and 9S didn't because he prioritized her memory data over his when transmitting data back to the Bunker.

And the Resistance is the survivors from previous failed landings. They're soldiers sent from space who've had to scrabble to survive for years, or even centuries, after their initial missions failed to drive the machines off entirely.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 28, 2019

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Rosalind posted:

I think I'm still at the very beginning of the story and definitely don't know what these "routes" are that people are talking about.

Structure of the game, no plot details:
So you play through the game, stuff happens, credits roll and the game shows that you've finished ending "A".
Some people stop playing here (those people are stupid).
If you load that clear save, you're back at the start of the story, but this time you experience it from the viewpoint of 9S.
That said, there is a lot of different content, and cleared sidequests stay cleared, so you're not actually repeating all that much.
Credits roll again, and you get ending B.
If you load that save, the story continues where ending A and B stopped and is almost as long again.
At the very end, you get one choice, which determines whether you get ending C or D.
After either of those, you also unlock the chapter select, which allows you to jump to any point in the story (including that final choice).
(Then there's ending E, which is more like an epilogue, and a bunch of bad ends you can get during the story, mostly by ignoring what you're supposed to do)

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
eat the mackerel

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Think of "routes" as "episodes". The game is basically structured as a miniseries

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I do love that they're are so many tiny endings that are like little forehead slapping Easter Eggs.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The best part of the structure is accruing a dozen speed boost chips and whipping through the over world at like triple speed

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Samuringa posted:

eat the mackerel

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Fhqwhgads posted:

I do love that they're are so many tiny endings that are like little forehead slapping Easter Eggs.

My favourite is a tie between removing your OS chip and self destructing on the bunker

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Party Boat posted:

My favourite is a tie between removing your OS chip and self destructing on the bunker

That first one made me laugh out loud, actually. It's not like you weren't warned.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

well why not posted:

The best part of the structure is accruing a dozen speed boost chips and whipping through the over world at like triple speed

Any other fun tricks with chips? I mostly didn't bother with them.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

What? That was half the fun of the game. Try stacking as much health regen as you can for functional infinite health, or boosting your critical rate through the roof, or adding heaps of iframes after every dodge. It’s not a hard game and the chips make it even easier / more broken. You can also take out your OS for predictable results.

It’s one of the clearest JRPG factors in the game.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

You could use shockwaves and pod damage+ chips for a ranged build.

Did anyone here do that? I assume we all went with the auto-healing deathblender style.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rosalind posted:

2B is a member of YorHa, a new generation of fighting androids who are significantly more powerful than earlier model androids. She's the latest, most advanced model and member of a small elite force., which are being used as prototypes for the next wave of general production androids.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Regy Rusty posted:

Personally this cannot continue at the end of the previous area was my big hook.

Yeah same, when the giant ball of robots form to birth Adam was the moment that really got me, as I had no idea what the original Nier or Drakengard were like, or who Yoko Taro was at that point, so I basically tell my friends to try it and play it up until that point at least if they're not feeling it otherwise. When I got the demo after a few friend recommended it, I played through it and liked it, but wasn't super into character action games or I hadn't ever really played any for more than like an hour, so I appreciated the vibes and stuff more than the combat, partly because I wasn't used to it and also because the game does an awful job at explaining the combat considering how deep it can be. But I loved the music, which might've kept me going, but I also didn't realize that the game wasn't going to be like the factory intro, and I didn't play it for like two months after I got it on sale, then I saw a friend play it and he was in the first area of the City Ruins and that was what made me start playing it again, and I've heard other people say the same thing basically, like Brandon Jones from Easy Allies said he didn't know it had a more open world and only played the demo which he liked but also didn't hook him then.

Yosuke Saito basically said that Yoko Taro would announce a new game at like the end of 2019/early 2020 and I'm assuming the next game is gonna be on PS5 so it might be even later, but whatever it is it's my most anticipated game rn, and I also need a Drakengard 1/3 remaster. I still haven't played 1 because Yoko Taro hinted at a Drakengard remaster thing, but hopefully the PS5's backwards compatibility means that if I buy a copy of it then I can at least play it at a solid 30 FPS, hopefully 60.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Imhotep posted:

Yosuke Saito basically said that Yoko Taro would announce a new game at like the end of 2019/early 2020 and I'm assuming the next game is gonna be on PS5 so it might be even later, but whatever it is it's my most anticipated game rn, and I also need a Drakengard 1/3 remaster. I still haven't played 1 because Yoko Taro hinted at a Drakengard remaster thing, but hopefully the PS5's backwards compatibility means that if I buy a copy of it then I can at least play it at a solid 30 FPS, hopefully 60.

Was there any word on a remaster of the original Nier? After how well Automata did I figured that would happen sooner or later, but then I forgot about it and it seems nothing has happened. I'd like to replay it but I don't have a 360 or PS3 anymore.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Give me HD Drakengard: my PS2 copy hangs on the loading screen.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

MonsieurChoc posted:

Give me HD Drakengard: my PS2 copy hangs on the loading screen.

It's doing you a favor.

(It emulates well)

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Imhotep posted:

Enjoy your remake of Drakengard 2, now with 50% more dialogue for Nowe!

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I'm not playing it if it's not related to 1 or 3 because I've heard it's even worse than the first two and/because Yoko Taro had nothing to do with it, right?

Boogalo posted:

It's doing you a favor.

(It emulates well)

I always forget this is even an option, as I tried it on the last computer I had and at the time it was a hassle to set up and then my computer couldn't handle it, but I recently tried with whatever the most popular PS3 emulator is and also a Wii U emulator and both worked surprisingly well. But I'm not in thaat big of a rush to play it considering he's mentioned a Nier remake as well, which would also be amazing, but I've played quite a bit of it before my PS3 stopped working recently, but yeah the thought of a Nier remake but with Platinum doing the same thing they did with Automata and with that engine even, would be so good. And they could actually make the combat in Drakengard 3 fun, maybe even throw in like one or two more enemy types.

pairofdimes posted:

Was there any word on a remaster of the original Nier? After how well Automata did I figured that would happen sooner or later, but then I forgot about it and it seems nothing has happened. I'd like to replay it but I don't have a 360 or PS3 anymore.

Yeah, but I think it was always mentioned along with Yoko Taro saying 'I'd basically do anything if they gave me enough money' as the headline, along with whatever he said along the same lines, and that he'd do an adult film if the money was good.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Nov 29, 2019

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
edit: Double post

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

Imhotep posted:

edit: Double post

This cannot continue

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Drakengard 2 has that Taro spirit on hating the player but none of the "worth actually playing" part of a Taro game.

It just hates you because it's the video game equivalent of making GBS threads your kidney out.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
Drakengard 2 is more fun to play than 1, I guess. At the cost of having very little of that Yoko taro feel.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Drakengard 2 is one of the worst games I've ever finished. Don't be fooled by it technically playing better than 1, you are still fighting endless numbers of enemies with really lame feeling weapons, you just happen to have two special moves as well.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
They hit the nail on the head with Caim in D2, though. That’s pretty much it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Imhotep posted:

Yeah, but I think it was always mentioned along with Yoko Taro saying 'I'd basically do anything if they gave me enough money' as the headline, along with whatever he said along the same lines, and that he'd do an adult film if the money was good.

:stonk:

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I don’t play MMO’s so I don’t fully understand how this stuff works, but will the Nier stuff be in FF14 forever or is it a limited time event? I’ve been curious about getting into it but I still have to finish Sekiro.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

SleepCousinDeath posted:

I don’t play MMO’s so I don’t fully understand how this stuff works, but will the Nier stuff be in FF14 forever or is it a limited time event? I’ve been curious about getting into it but I still have to finish Sekiro.

Forever AFAIK. Content in 8 and 24 person raids tends to be permanent, like it's baked into the story. If something's seasonal, it's usually announced prior to launch or at least with weeks/months of lead time (like the Garo stuff).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Boogalo posted:

It's doing you a favor.

(It emulates well)

If my dvd's scratched I doubt an emulator is gonna help.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Forever but it's really late game content. So if that's all you're curious about you've got like 100 hours of content before you reach it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Forever but it's really late game content. So if that's all you're curious about you've got like 100 hours of content before you reach it.

I will say that I love FF14 and that it's totally worthwhile if you are into MMOs and have the time for them. But that 100 hours is only if you not only buy the game with all its expansions (it is on sale this weekend) but also pay extra to get a character leveled to the latest expansion content and skip the story, which I don't think is worth it.

Because I have played all the way through and got to the NieR raid this week. And I may have done a bit of side stuff but still...

If you only want to see NieR stuff you can probably just watch the let's plays on YouTube

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
If you just want more 2B action and don't mind the genre humble has Soul Calibur 6 for like 12 bucks and Steam has the 2B dlc for it for like 2-3 bucks. Her moveset is extensive and amazing, i almost like it more than Automata's. You can pet the pod as a taunt (he has the same reaction voicelines) and they've even put in the self destruct move.

It's still (mainly) a PVP fighting game tho, so probably a harder genre shock than FF14. Though its character customization is surprisingly elaborate.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If you only want to see NieR stuff you can probably just watch the let's plays on YouTube
Is there any actual relevant story stuff in there (if you lack most of the FF14 lore context)? I've tried watching MMO raiding videos and the gameplay itself mostly just put me to sleep, so i'm unsure how much of a draw there would be for me.
An adult movie written by Yoko Taro would be horrifyingly depressing, yet somehow slightly less titillating than his games.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Is there any actual relevant story stuff in there (if you lack most of the FF14 lore context)? I've tried watching MMO raiding videos and the gameplay itself mostly just put me to sleep, so i'm unsure how much of a draw there would be for me.

Current speculation is that the "2P" in the raid is narratively the same one as in SoulCalibur somehow!? (because you know, 2P in a fighting game, she has the inverse color scheme to her outfit)

The raid series is in 3 parts and we've only seen the first part which is mostly setup but they are likely to go places in the next two parts in a few months. After the raid you can explore the area and collect data fragments like this one

Veotax
May 16, 2006

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Yes, it's got cutscenes and quests surrounding it. The actual raid itself has a small amount of story that doesn't get in the way, because filling a 24-player raid with a ton of story and cutscenes is an awful idea.

It's going to be in three parts released over the course of two years, there isn't much now because only the first part is out. Next part probably won't be out until like spring and the last part will be part of the last big patch before the next expansion comes out.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Sorry, i phrased that question poorly, i meant to ask if the story happening was mostly relevant to FF14 or if it actually gives further context for anything in Nier's setting. Like in SC6 the text blurb just says 2B wakes up in a castle and gets a Bunker message about her mission being to destroy <soul calibur universe plot gizmo>, which is about a little as expected for a guest character cameo (also no acknowledgement of the alternate 2P colorscheme being noteworthy). Basically i'm wondering how that stuff is contextualized and how "Yoko Taro" it feels.

Though i wasn't aware the FF14 content was a segmented long term project, so maybe that question can't actually be answered yet.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Sorry, i phrased that question poorly, i meant to ask if the story happening was mostly relevant to FF14 or if it actually gives further context for anything in Nier's setting. Like in SC6 the text blurb just says 2B wakes up in a castle and gets a Bunker message about her mission being to destroy <soul calibur universe plot gizmo>, which is about a little as expected for a guest character cameo (also no acknowledgement of the alternate 2P colorscheme being noteworthy). Basically i'm wondering how that stuff is contextualized and how "Yoko Taro" it feels.

Though i wasn't aware the FF14 content was a segmented long term project, so maybe that question can't actually be answered yet.

Previous crossovers with other Final Fantasy games have basically extended to "These are things you have seen in other games but aren't necessarily connected to the storyworlds of those , they are myths and legends in the world of FF14"

However Yoko Taro is much more directly involved with the design of this content compared to previous other guest designers, and he has been especially all about keeping stories even in other media part of a unified whole, plus this being a direct Square Enix property... lots of possibilities to come

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Thanks all, I figured it would probably take a while to get to that point in the game. I don’t know poo poo when it comes to MMO’s so the only ones I’ve been interested in are Elder Scrolls (don’t judge me, I liked playing Morrowind) and FF14 so I might give it a shot if I ever have free time and feel crazy enough.