Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Playing as a Muslim realm with Steam Rich Experience active is a good way to find out which of your steam friends are lovely islamophobes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Neurion posted:

Playing as a Muslim realm with Steam Rich Experience active is a good way to find out which of your steam friends are lovely islamophobes.

??

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

One of my steam friends saw me playing as a Muslim and asked me if I was jihading Jews via suicide bombing. They did not understand and refused to learn why this question was stupid and awful. Severed.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Neurion posted:

One of my steam friends saw me playing as a Muslim and asked me if I was jihading Jews via suicide bombing. They did not understand and refused to learn why this question was stupid and awful. Severed.

:fuckoff:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's not much explosives in the time period, and even if there were, it'd more likely be christians suicide bombing muslims, considering the nature of a lot of the crusades.

Reminds me of this scene. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRRzyGEzph8

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
is it Islamic Golden Age Crossbow Shotgun?

Also are your friends 14 years old?..

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's not much explosives in the time period, and even if there were, it'd more likely be christians suicide bombing muslims, considering the nature of a lot of the crusades.

And Jews. And those perfidious Cathars!

Another Otter
May 14, 2012

Neurion posted:

Not only are they dumb for being Islamophobic but the Sultan title is culture not religion dependant, they'd see the same thing if you were trying to do a Nestorian game in Syria or Socotra.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Another Otter posted:

Not only are they dumb for being Islamophobic but the Sultan title is culture not religion dependant, they'd see the same thing if you were trying to do a Nestorian game in Syria or Socotra.

Racist shitheads don't let details like these stop them. I still remember how a bunch of racists assaulted a Buddhist priest (in full garb) and called him a Muslim, just a couple years ago.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kassad posted:

Racist shitheads don't let details like these stop them. I still remember how a bunch of racists assaulted a Buddhist priest (in full garb) and called him a Muslim, just a couple years ago.

:wtc:

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Kassad posted:

Well Crusader did the same to Jews so it's in line with the tradition.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
See also: Sikhs and orthodox Christian priests post-9/11

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Take it to gbs fellas.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

And heck the only Jewish realm at that game start is Khazaria and why would I want to wage an offensive war against nomads? That's just not worth it! Look at all this empty land I just won! It's gonna be 300 years before it provides a useful amount of levies or taxes :v:

Also I've made a habit of filling out council roles with Jewish characters via character finder, for the occasional bonus tech points they offer. I'm not sure if it's tied to religion or culture in that case, though, but if I have a position I can fill and I don't feel threatened by the powerful vassals in my realm I'm more than willing to risk favor-inviting Jewish courtiers to do the job.

Edit: Also starting a merchant republic in the Persian Gulf/Indian Ocean is obscenely profitable. I don't need to compete against any other existing merchant republics and building your trade posts on silk road trade post locations produces a lot of extra income, doubly so if you can get a trade deal from China. With a trade post on every silk road trade zone on the ocean, China in a Golden Age, and with a trade agreement, I was easily drawing in 4-5k per year from trade alone.

Neurion fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 29, 2019

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

In my most recent game, Venice has ended up under the control of a baron in a castle by a Cathar holy war of all things and Genoa lost their dukedom to the king of Italy, leaving Amalfi as the sole Merchant Republic in the Mediterranean functioning as a tributary to Byzantium. I did at least a triple take when I did my periodic check of trade zones and saw that Venice and Genoa had suddenly vanished.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Complications posted:

In my most recent game, Venice has ended up under the control of a baron in a castle by a Cathar holy war of all things and Genoa lost their dukedom to the king of Italy, leaving Amalfi as the sole Merchant Republic in the Mediterranean functioning as a tributary to Byzantium. I did at least a triple take when I did my periodic check of trade zones and saw that Venice and Genoa had suddenly vanished.

you should take that merchant republic as YOUR tributary

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

As a mongol horde I once had the Pope as a tributary and made sure to leave most of christendom intact so they could pay him religious taxes and I could rake in the cash from his tributary status.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Neurion posted:

As a mongol horde I once had the Pope as a tributary and made sure to leave most of christendom intact so they could pay him religious taxes and I could rake in the cash from his tributary status.

ah, the "everyone was actually right about the great khan being prester john" strategy

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
This has made me consider whether a vassal republic is even worth it vs. tributary republics. If you can't keep your vassal republic happy, you get zero tax from them, and you're limited on how many vassal republics you can have anyway. None of that would matter with tributary states right?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

How common is the Alexander the Great event for the AI?

Because I've got four empires descended from him running around in my current game :v:

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

abrosheen posted:

This has made me consider whether a vassal republic is even worth it vs. tributary republics. If you can't keep your vassal republic happy, you get zero tax from them, and you're limited on how many vassal republics you can have anyway. None of that would matter with tributary states right?

Tributary states can call you into their defensive wars and will break free and cost you a ton of prestige if you refuse. Merchant republics are real assholes and constantly get dunked on by people for embargo wars. That's just in theory, though, I haven't tried a strictly tributary relationship with an MR yet.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neurion posted:

Tributary states can call you into their defensive wars and will break free and cost you a ton of prestige if you refuse. Merchant republics are real assholes and constantly get dunked on by people for embargo wars. That's just in theory, though, I haven't tried a strictly tributary relationship with an MR yet.

This is true for tributary states, but you can always just beat people in an "extort tribute" war. This is shorter term because it ends on your ruler's death, but you make more money and have much less responsibility (your tributary can still call you into wars but you get no penalty for declining - it's entirely for your own benefit in case you decide you don't want someone else cutting off your revenue stream).

This is the Horse Lords one and it's available to non-nomads, too (nomads just get more benefit from it).

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Blooming Brilliant posted:

How common is the Alexander the Great event for the AI?

Because I've got four empires descended from him running around in my current game :v:

Only the player can get it so it’s just people you’ve married.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
I was playing as the current Monarch's Journey character Konstantinos of Samos. I worked my centralization up to maximum before grabbing enough of Anatolia to make a kingdom title. When I made the kingdom title, it reset my centralization to min. Was this because vice-royalty laws don't carry over to more traditional title laws?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Frida Call Me posted:

I was playing as the current Monarch's Journey character Konstantinos of Samos. I worked my centralization up to maximum before grabbing enough of Anatolia to make a kingdom title. When I made the kingdom title, it reset my centralization to min. Was this because vice-royalty laws don't carry over to more traditional title laws?

Probably. I went a different route. I took the Theology focus and secretly converted to Shia via the Assassins. I had to restart over and over, though, until the RNG decided for the Crusade to target Byzantium instead of Egypt. With Byzantium broken up I was able to come out as Muslim and eat up chunks of it and swearing fealty to the Turkish Sultan of Rum. Converting to his religion and culture allowed me to raid, so I'd raise vassal fleets and send my demesne levies out to raid the Mediterranean for cash to fund mercs and blob across into Thrace, Greece, Bulgaria, and Epirus. One revolt for Independence later and I was able to create the 4 kingdom titles.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

This is by far the easiest least cheesy monarch journey. I seduced a bunch of lustful teens and then switched to theology and joined saint basil once I had 10 kids. I became super holy which made all the electors like me and vote for me and I became emperor with the first character despite him becoming inform at 40 for no reason. I haven’t actually completed the challenge yet because I’m trying to beat the score component before I create a bunch of kingdoms for no reason.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
I figured it out, the only title you start with is the count, the duchy title is a viceroyalty. Counts don't get to increase crown laws. So if I wanted to maintain my laws I'd have to first create a duchy title that isn't a viceroyalty, make it my primary title, then adjust those laws before making a kingdom title.

I finished the challenge with triple gold star no problem, I did exactly what Knuc U Kinte did but just ran into a weird roadblock.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I kinda wish they'd stop doing challenges that are "get X children with your first character", because starting every game by inviting every elegible bachelorette with positive genetic traits and having them take turns really gets old quick.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The kingdoms dont have to be independent or even hereditary, I got it by giving a bunch of kingdom viceroyalties to my family as Byz emperor. Also once you reach the goal your dynasty can lose control of kingdoms and it doesnt like, take away your score

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Buschmaki posted:

The kingdoms dont have to be independent or even hereditary, I got it by giving a bunch of kingdom viceroyalties to my family as Byz emperor. Also once you reach the goal your dynasty can lose control of kingdoms and it doesnt like, take away your score

I held them myself until it said I’m gold and then handed them out to regular vassal viceroyals. My rulers are living for too long and I’m 2k score away so I flipped everyone Hellenic and gonna see if I can reform before my ruler dies and finishes the challenge.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Only the player can get it so it’s just people you’ve married.

Are these not Alexander the Great events then or something else entirely:

The border gore is real.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Are these not Alexander the Great events then or something else entirely:

The border gore is real.

Nah that’s a different bloodline for being a descendent of a child of destiny. It just also happens to mention Alexander which can be confusing, but it’s not nearly as powerful.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The real Alexander bloodline mentions giving a free invasion once per character.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Okay I liked the free version enough to keep playing this. I read the second post and got old gods, way of life, holy fury, conclave, sons of abraham, and legacy of rome. Any second opinions on must-haves? May as well take advantage of this steam sale.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Okay I liked the free version enough to keep playing this. I read the second post and got old gods, way of life, holy fury, conclave, sons of abraham, and legacy of rome. Any second opinions on must-haves? May as well take advantage of this steam sale.

reaper's due for sure, it overhauls the disease mechanics into an actual strategic consideration. i'd also say monks and mystics because it makes peace time a lot more interesting, but i'm sure some folks will push back on that because the societies can be incredibly powerful and encapsulate a lot of the supernatural stuff that a lot of people don't like. so that's more a matter of taste, but i can't imagine playing without it because peace time is a huge drag without it.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Coolguye posted:

reaper's due for sure, it overhauls the disease mechanics into an actual strategic consideration. i'd also say monks and mystics because it makes peace time a lot more interesting, but i'm sure some folks will push back on that because the societies can be incredibly powerful and encapsulate a lot of the supernatural stuff that a lot of people don't like. so that's more a matter of taste, but i can't imagine playing without it because peace time is a huge drag without it.

Societies are a bit OP (at least some) but I like that they give us a lot of stuff to do

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah i know how people get frustrated by demon worshipper cults (my first posts in this thread are just spitting fire about how frustrated i was about them) but having to call off the constant maneuvering for the next ratfuck conquest to conduct a hunt for actual, factual warlocks and witches that are trying to give you cancer is such a thrilling change of pace.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Also as of continuing this game today:

I've gotten a new one in India :v:

Is this unusual? In my last playthrough I had this happen once throughout a whole 400 years. Now I've had five in 100 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The satanists are the one I hate playing against and you can just turn them off in the rules. The other societies are op but also fun so gently caress it.