Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Turns out you can't scrub an unwarped clip. :rolleyes:

Another question! I've had an Axiom Pro for years, used it for live performance and recording and I'm pretty fond of it. But recently it's been crashing and rebooting a lot, and when it does it seems to make my Launchpad stop working too and I have to reboot everything to get it working again. So I'm in the market for a replacement. I was looking at the M-Audio Code and it looks great, but it seems to be missing something that the Axiom Pro has which is a feature called HyperControl. This automatically maps MIDI parameters which means when you select a track in live, if it has an instrument, the 8 rotary encoders automatically get mapped to the macro knobs on Live's instrument rack. This is really useful for live performance.
It doesn't seem like the Code has this auto-mapping feature, so I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there a way of getting this behaviour with the Code and Live, with custom scripts or similar? If so, how hard is it to do and how well does it work?
2. Are there other models of controller that have something like this out of the box?

chippy fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Nov 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

chippy posted:

1. Is there a way of getting this behaviour with the Code and Live, with custom scripts or similar? If so, how hard is it to do and how well does it work?
Found this link which explains how to do what I think you want.
This link goes into working with remote controller scripts.

chippy posted:

2. Are there other models of controller that have something like this out of the box?
Push 2 of course.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Quick controller question.

The Push 2 is well out of my price range, but my Rock Band 3 keytar doesn’t really cut it in terms of key velocity or being able to launch clips. Is the MiniLab MKII a decent controller for the price?

I used to compose songs in lsdj, but want to make chiptunes on something easier to edit than a Game Boy.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Ableton is offering 25% off on Live, upgrades, and packs, through Monday:

https://www.ableton.com/en/shop/

I mostly play around in Live Lite -- messing around with beats, samples, and loops -- while doing most of my recording of guitar and bass in Cubase. I run into the limits of the mere 8 tracks that Lite gives you. Is it worth upgrading to Standard, or is the gulf between Standard and Suite so big that it doesn't make sense to make the incremental jump from Lite to Standard?

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Does anyone know if there's an easy way to map a fader to trigger a clip? Specifically, I'd like it to only trigger when I push it up from zero, sort of like a mixing board at a radio station can do.

And if there's no easy way, what's the hard way? I'm hoping to avoid the controller script api.

McCoy Pauley posted:

Ableton is offering 25% off on Live, upgrades, and packs, through Monday:

https://www.ableton.com/en/shop/

I mostly play around in Live Lite -- messing around with beats, samples, and loops -- while doing most of my recording of guitar and bass in Cubase. I run into the limits of the mere 8 tracks that Lite gives you. Is it worth upgrading to Standard, or is the gulf between Standard and Suite so big that it doesn't make sense to make the incremental jump from Lite to Standard?

The store page for Ableton has a a pretty easy to read breakdown of the differences between standard and suite.

With standard you basically miss out on all the synths, additional sounds, max for live, and some audio/midi effects. Otherwise you get a fully featured copy of live with no arbitrary limitations on what you can do.

You can also buy the instruments and max for live separately, but the extra effects appear to require suite.

susan b buffering fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 29, 2019

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Oldstench posted:

Found this link which explains how to do what I think you want.
This link goes into working with remote controller scripts.

Push 2 of course.

Thanks! This looks like the stuff. Surprised it doesn't do this out of the box, seems like a step backwards from earlier models, but if it can be added then it's all good.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I dove back into my Live template yesterday and after many years away from writing any kind of music, I am finding it a bit daunting again. I basically treat it like a traditional DAW; I think a lot of people end up going this way after discovering that they're not entirely as jazzed about the whole live clip triggering thing - don't get me wrong lots of people use the clip matrix incredibly creatively but I definitely know more people who treat Live as a traditional DAW. I might even make the switch to Cubase this Christmas, as stubborn as I am the Virus TI plugin still does not get along well with Live, and both Access and Ableton like to point fingers in each others' direction. I tried using Virus|HC (a third-party plugin that functions like the TI plugin but entirely based on MIDI CC so it works with older model Viruses as well) but I can't wrap my head around the Librarian function to use my wealth of patchbanks.

Anyway I have kind of a dumb question about send/return routing. With Live 10 and the advent of absurd levels of nested Groups (gotta say this is something I was really thrilled about as someone who busses everything), I'm wondering if there's really any purpose to using actual Return tracks anymore. For example if I'm adding some reverb to a snare drum, I generally want that reverb coming back inside the drum group so buss processing affects it as well. Previous to Live 10 I'd do this by creating another track inside the group and routing the Return track's audio to it - but therein lies a problem, as Delay Compensation doesn't seem to want to account for this and the manual Track Delay amount below the fader seems to never line up correctly, there's always a flam or phasing going on and even with absurd amounts of Track Delay incurred I can't seem to eliminate it.

So what I've been doing lately (pfft, one time, in the only song I've got going on right now which is a skeleton of a cover/lift/remix of End Credits by Chase & Status) is just simply creating a new Audio Track with ValhallaRoom on it inside the drum Group, setting its monitoring to In and pointing its input to the snare track. This works without any delay, but so far it only works for single tracks I need to apply that effect to - if I have to start routing multiple things to a room reverb, for example, I can't really do that this way. Thoughts?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

I doubt you'll think this is helpful, but have you considered just printing the effected sound to an new audio track?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
That doesn't necessarily solve the track latency issue - I suppose I could go into the burned reverb track and back its start point up but it's another matter of guesswork as to by how much. Same issue with bussing multiple things to the track, too.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

That doesn't necessarily solve the track latency issue - I suppose I could go into the burned reverb track and back its start point up but it's another matter of guesswork as to by how much. Same issue with bussing multiple things to the track, too.

e: ignore this poo poo - I don't know what the gently caress I'm talking about.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 12, 2019

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Safe to update to Catalina yet? Soundtoys released a compatible version of their VSTs only today...

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

DreadCthulhu posted:

Safe to update to Catalina yet? Soundtoys released a compatible version of their VSTs only today...

nooooooo

After dealing with lots of folks’ legacy things, you gotta go check every plugin you use to see if it’s ready, if it doesn’t say it, it’s probably not.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I got a push 2 for christmas. I feel so bad because I don't want to look like ungrateful for what is probably the most expensive gift I ever got.
But I only work in arrangement view anymore, and it looks not very useful for that, and not even remotely nicer than just using a mouse and keyboard shortcuts, and using my ancient midi keyboard to play notes.
I also mess around with captain chords plug in; And after hours of loving around with the Push 2, i can't get it to play chords with it; it just plays single notes, unlike when i use my computer keyboard or midi keyboard;
I'll have to bring it back to the store and make my wife very sad.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK5hQHoFMjI

Top comment:
"Push lacks in Arrangement view."

Just tell her "this is the single greatest gift I've ever received, but I can't use it." and go get yourself an Akai Force.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Top comment:
"Push lacks in Arrangement view."

Just tell her "this is the single greatest gift I've ever received, but I can't use it." and go get yourself an Akai Force.

Thanks, I found that video too:)
messing around with the push, I feel don't really need any extra hardware for the creative part in ableton. I'm fine with my old midi keyboard like I said.
It's the mixing, EQ, compressors, delays, endless details blahblah that I really loving struggle with and where some dedicated hardware could potentially make it less annoying.
But yeah, it's clear Push isn't gonna do that so I'll have to find a nice way to bring this back to the store.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Is it just me or is Splice Projects just not that game changing compared to simply storing your sets in Dropbox?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

DreadCthulhu posted:

Is it just me or is Splice Projects just not that game changing compared to simply storing your sets in Dropbox?

Not really as far as I can tell, and it's been super flaky for me so far.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

chippy posted:

Not really as far as I can tell, and it's been super flaky for me so far.

I can't even get their auto-update to work. Sad.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Where do you find great drum loops that you can use in your tracks? I'm not really great at drum programming yet, and it will be a minute before I can hyper focus on that area to get good, but I'd still like to put out some work that sounds good in the meantime.

Splice? Output Arcade? MIDI grooves downloaded online combined with your own drum kit of choice?

Ideally it'd be something that's also genre specific, and sounds appropriate for it. e.g. Sullivan King's stuff on Splice can be ok but then it's also pretty particular to genre x, not genre y.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Anyone have experience using a foot pedal to control looping in Ableton, and have any recommendations (ideally on the smaller, more modestly priced side of things)? I mainly want something to control the looper while I'm playing the guitar, just noodling around at home (not for playing live). Something with an expression pedal, that I could use for fooling around with Ableton's pedal effects would be a nice bonus.

From googling and reading articles and forums posts about this, I see the Behringer FCB1010 being flagged fairly often, but something smaller would be a better fit for me -- the thing seems massive (and also quite old -- seems like there must be decent MIDI over USB options at this point). The Line 6 FBV Express MKII is one I've also seen mentioned, which seems closer to the size I'd like, and they're cheap enough used from Guitar Center that I'd be tempted just to take a flyer on it. Never having used something like that in Ableton, should it be easy enough to map the MIDI from the pedal to whatever I want to control in Ableton?

I've also seen things specifically designed for looping in Ableton, like the Datalooper, but I think that's probably overkill for my use case, and quite a bit more than I'd like to spend while I'm just fooling around.

Any other options I should be looking at?

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

DreadCthulhu posted:

Where do you find great drum loops that you can use in your tracks? I'm not really great at drum programming yet, and it will be a minute before I can hyper focus on that area to get good, but I'd still like to put out some work that sounds good in the meantime.

Splice? Output Arcade? MIDI grooves downloaded online combined with your own drum kit of choice?

Ideally it'd be something that's also genre specific, and sounds appropriate for it. e.g. Sullivan King's stuff on Splice can be ok but then it's also pretty particular to genre x, not genre y.

Splice

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

McCoy Pauley posted:

The Line 6 FBV Express MKII is one I've also seen mentioned, which seems closer to the size I'd like, and they're cheap enough used from Guitar Center that I'd be tempted just to take a flyer on it. Never having used something like that in Ableton, should it be easy enough to map the MIDI from the pedal to whatever I want to control in Ableton?

a buddy has this and it works great. dunno how easy it was to set up etc, but as someone who just showed up and used it it's rad

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

The metal selection is not that bueno tbh though, there are basically only 2 different sample sets for the genre. There's Sullivan King, and his samples are all pretty darn aggressive, I'm assuming to fit nicely into the dubstep theme, vs something more tame from the "post-metal" world (think Tool).

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

well if you're making metal then your only real option is to learn drum programming or record a real drummer unless you wanna make bland poo poo. Metal riffs need very specific rhythm accompaniments and you won't find that from any drum loops.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Fair enough, point taken.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah, you're going to want to start drum programming. Having a background as an actual drummer is a huge leg-up in this realm too, so if you need to, learn some drum kit theory - pay attention to how a real drummer would play things - like which hands to use moving across the kit and how the basic rudiments can be applied across different drums and cymbals to create rhythms. My recommendation would be to get Superior Drummer and the Metal Foundry kits, they sound fantastic. You're still going to be doing a lot of post-processing to make them sound like the enormous artillery batteries that are modern metal drummers though. SSL channel strip plugins, good tape saturation VSTs (I use Izotope Trash), backbus compression, etc. There are a few good tutorial videos on YouTube to this end.

But if you want some drum loops (I mean, like the classic breaks and some generic dubstep/breakbeat/house soundsets) PM me, I can hook you up.

EDIT: In other news, I bought Cubase 10.5 Pro. I love Ableton and learning another DAW is going to take some time, but I'm just so tired of my Virus TI not agreeing with Live, dropping sync or clicking, all the loving time. Hopefully Cubase is more stable in this regard, because having my favourite synthesizer decide to gently caress off on the rare occasion I'm in a creative groove really shrimps my youngman.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 7, 2020

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Don't those "real drummer" sample kit VSTs have MIDI loops of all kinds of blastbeats, fills, double bass, etc. that you can mix and match to create believable sounding patterns?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I’ve been watching this guy on YouTube who uses a Push 2 and it looks like tons of fun. I’m a complete beginner and I’ve never used Ableton before but I have an extra bit of cash and there are some used ones around me for $500. What version of the software do I need as someone who just wants to screw around and make beats? I’m fine buying the Push because I can resell it but I’m more wary of plunking down a lot of cash on software.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

dantheman650 posted:

I’ve been watching this guy on YouTube who uses a Push 2 and it looks like tons of fun. I’m a complete beginner and I’ve never used Ableton before but I have an extra bit of cash and there are some used ones around me for $500. What version of the software do I need as someone who just wants to screw around and make beats? I’m fine buying the Push because I can resell it but I’m more wary of plunking down a lot of cash on software.

The Push2 requires Live 9.5 or higher to function, but it doesn't matter which version of Ableton you have (Lite, Standard, Suite). It will work on all 3. I think you just missed out on a bundle for Ableton Live Suite + Push2 for like $800 which is a pretty solid deal, but you might be able to convince someone at Guitar Center to honor it.

You definitely don't need the full Suite version to make beats and could probably get by with Live Lite + Push2 for a while. Lite comes with the instruments "Simpler" and "Drum Rack" which would probably be all you need to start making beats. The reason I recommended the bundle is because if you are already getting a Push2, it would be nice to save a lot of money on the full software.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 7, 2020

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
Could someone recommend me an inexpensive controller to start/record in Ableton? I previously had a Push 2 but sold it in favor of a Linnstrument two years ago. I recently purchased a Maschine which I'm loving in conjunction with the Linnstrument, but unfortunately neither controls Ableton and now that I've been getting comfortable live looping (with my wireless mouse) it would be a lot easier if I had a small dedicated controller.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
APC40? The mkII model is quite small. Its native mapping is almost entirely based around clip triggering in session view, but it has a lot of potential for custom mappings with the endless encoders (and if you get into dummy clip automation, you'll fill out the board with effect triggers in no time).

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Oldstench posted:

Don't those "real drummer" sample kit VSTs have MIDI loops of all kinds of blastbeats, fills, double bass, etc. that you can mix and match to create believable sounding patterns?

Superior comes with tonnes of MIDI patterns, as does EZ drummer. They're really well categorised too, lots of variations within each.
I don't think my copy of Slate Drums 5 came with any.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah, you're going to want to start drum programming. Having a background as an actual drummer is a huge leg-up in this realm too, so if you need to, learn some drum kit theory - pay attention to how a real drummer would play things - like which hands to use moving across the kit and how the basic rudiments can be applied across different drums and cymbals to create rhythms. My recommendation would be to get Superior Drummer and the Metal Foundry kits, they sound fantastic. You're still going to be doing a lot of post-processing to make them sound like the enormous artillery batteries that are modern metal drummers though. SSL channel strip plugins, good tape saturation VSTs (I use Izotope Trash), backbus compression, etc. There are a few good tutorial videos on YouTube to this end.

Great advice, thank you. I actually started watching a bunch of people do this on Youtube and that helped a little, although, like you said, getting actual hands-on drumming experience would make a huge difference.

I'm currently using https://www.getgooddrums.com/collections/homepage-collection/products/modern-massive-pack , I generally dig anything Nolly puts out, and it seems nicely punchy and big right out of the box, but I'll look into the processing you recommended as well.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I'm getting pretty frustrated with my ability to keep good time with ableton's metronome. Often I have to go back and move the wave forms back and forth to line with the timing. I am planning to begin MIDI due to the quantization feature. I have a collection of soundfonts that I use to play .mid files off the command line. Today my goal is to load 8bitSF.sf2 into Ableton as a midi library and play these tones with via 5 pin midi with my 88 key Ensoniq. I really hope this works, because pointing and clicking is extremely tedious and I feel like giving up and just playing straight piano + field recorder.

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 11, 2020

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I bought Suite and a Push 2 today! No idea what the heck I’m doing but it’s going to be fun. What are your favorite intro videos/courses/you tubers/articles etc.?

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

dantheman650 posted:

I bought Suite and a Push 2 today! No idea what the heck I’m doing but it’s going to be fun. What are your favorite intro videos/courses/you tubers/articles etc.?

i despise all youtubers and think the lessons built into ableton itself are a pretty good place to start. View>Help View if you immediately closed them right off the bat like everyone else does

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

excellent bird guy posted:

I'm getting pretty frustrated with my ability to keep good time with ableton's metronome. Often I have to go back and move the wave forms back and forth to line with the timing. I am planning to begin MIDI due to the quantization feature. I have a collection of soundfonts that I use to play .mid files off the command line. Today my goal is to load 8bitSF.sf2 into Ableton as a midi library and play these tones with via 5 pin midi with my 88 key Ensoniq. I really hope this works, because pointing and clicking is extremely tedious and I feel like giving up and just playing straight piano + field recorder.

are you sure this couldn't be latency? i'm a pretty bad musician but with enough takes I can kinda get it so I don't have to fiddle much. for a while all audio was a few ms off and adjusting the latency compensation in settings fixed it for me.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

Gaspy Conana posted:

are you sure this couldn't be latency? i'm a pretty bad musician but with enough takes I can kinda get it so I don't have to fiddle much. for a while all audio was a few ms off and adjusting the latency compensation in settings fixed it for me.

i was gonna say this but was not enough confident in my answer. i had a friend adjust mine and it was way better after that

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Spent all day yesterday playing with Suite. The built-in tutorial is really quite impressive.

Is there a way to have a loop playing and record outside the loop? For example, a 4-bar chord progression is looping while I solo for 32 bars, and the entire 32 bar solo is recorded. I suppose this is easy enough by just extending the initial loop, but I’m curious if there’s a better way.

Also, is there an idiot’s guide to record vs. session record? The tutorial did not explain it super well.

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

if you loop the 4 bars and just record in another track you can extend the clip it recorded backwards when you're done to get the full recording