Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

If it's the chair I think you mean, I got dialogue when I was offered a seat telling me just how uncomfortable and painful it looked but that might have been due to a skill check.

I guess in a way, Composure does watch your back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
you sure showed evrart who's the boss tho

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

You don’t need endurance, you just need to use a potion or whatever by clicking the health icon at the bottom left. Took me multiple runs of that exchange to figure this out. I, too of no endurance, kept dying.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Frankston posted:

So... I sat in a chair, a normal chair, took damage somehow and died (the chair was "uncomfortable" I guess?). And my last save was several hours ago. gently caress this.

Surely you have an autosave more recent than that. If not, well, that's what you get for running around on 1 hp and not saving :shrug:

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

Surely you have an autosave more recent than that. If not, well, that's what you get for running around on 1 hp and not saving :shrug:

Odd reaction given how early in the game that can be and how its all about fumbling blind for the first bits. In fairness, that part of the game is REALLY dense, you're very much directionless and go towards where the crowd are pointing is the only linear thing. Same thing happened me with the jacket. If you miss the tie (a crime I know), both can be your first interaction with a health system at all. I didn't even know until mid to late that you can replenish your bars with drink and drugs.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Xander77 posted:

"Overproductive Honour Glands
How to get: Pops up once you gain 5 "honor points". I'd recommend this guide to honor points.
While researching: 20m, -4 Drama
Result: Learning cap for Authority raised to 5"

I hope for more Authority (ie the honour obsessed skill) in whatever DLC we get. The incredible pettiness and stupidity of its insistence on always being stupidly assertive are great.

chesnok
Nov 14, 2014

Arrhythmia posted:

you sure showed evrart who's the boss tho

>fail volition check to keep standing
>next run, 6 volition
>LUL check impossible

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Just managed to finish this today.

The game is emotionally evocative in some brilliantly unusual ways. There's a brutality to certain bits, like giving bad news to the working class woman, and both the first and last dream sequences, much more so the last, which isn't something I've personally seen done well in a video game, but there's also some incredible levity. Pretty much everything with the church was gold, and I honestly think Egg Head might have been my favorite human character, besides Kim of course.

I ended up with a few different copo-types, mostly Sorry and Art-Cop, and spent a lot of time being a Communist.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Frankston posted:

So... I sat in a chair, a normal chair, took damage somehow and died (the chair was "uncomfortable" I guess?). And my last save was several hours ago. gently caress this.

I died on the first screen trying to put my tie on

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Frankston posted:

That’s kind on you for not saving for hours right? That’s an issue with your save habits, not the game.

chesnok
Nov 14, 2014

chaosapiant posted:

That’s kind on you for not saving for hours right? That’s an issue with your save habits, not the game.

Savescumming is bad and you should feel bad. That being said, punishing player with meaningless repetition is even worse.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i thought the game autosaved every 15 minutes

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

chesnok posted:

Savescumming is bad and you should feel bad. That being said, punishing player with meaningless repetition is even worse.

Reloading from death isn't savescumming and the HP bars are a clear indicator that you can actually die and should be saving regularly like any other RPG.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

What even is 'health'? Sounds like commie propaganda.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
I’ve realised I entirely missed the conversations with the necktie - I assume due to having low Inland Empire? I smell a new game in my future...

wit
Jul 26, 2011
I hope that being an unhelpful dick about gameplay is some dialog meme I've missed or has gone over my head.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

wit posted:

I hope that being an unhelpful dick about gameplay is some dialog meme I've missed or has gone over my head.

Posts end up looking like that if your rhetoric skill is too low.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

DoctorTristan posted:

I’ve realised I entirely missed the conversations with the necktie - I assume due to having low Inland Empire? I smell a new game in my future...

Yeah, Inland is how you start talking with the tie (it even says so in the description of the skill). Although I'm kind of bummed it's the only article of clothing that you might talk at yourself through - not only does it "force" you to keep it on always where you could want different stats ; but I'd also love to hear from my Krazov chapska, my pink bowtie and my cringe silk faux-Chinese kimono. I'm sure they'd have much to teach me.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Kobal2 posted:

Yeah, Inland is how you start talking with the tie (it even says so in the description of the skill). Although I'm kind of bummed it's the only article of clothing that you might talk at yourself through - not only does it "force" you to keep it on always where you could want different stats ; but I'd also love to hear from my Krazov chapska, my pink bowtie and my cringe silk faux-Chinese kimono. I'm sure they'd have much to teach me.

Please do not listen to the kimono, it will only teach you to be racist, like itself.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
You just reminded me that "Super logical for a cop to wear this" is my favorite flavor text ever

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I actually kind of prefer my first run where I missed all the Doloress stuff, made the game and the ending come off as much more positive and uplifting. That last dream is hella depressing. :ohdear:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Kobal2 posted:

It's particularly bad because the Inland Empire skill leads you to get an item that has the same bonus as the tie the charm from the Doomed Commercial Area, but also another bonus as well, so it's logical to swap the tie for the new item.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

wit posted:

It’s not you, it’s just that the game is already so beloved that any even slightly negative opinion must be corrected.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's not weird to suggest that in any game with a manual save system you should be saving your game. This is not a new or novel concept.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

New guy: I didn't save for hours and I died gently caress THIS GAME
Some posters: You probably have an autosave, also try saving sometimes
Other posters: Stop white knighting the game omg!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Despite my overwhelming technical incompetence, I've managed to figure out save-editing at least long enough to provide a basic guide to the Gluten-Free-Topping pie achievement.

Talk to Gary the Cryto-Fascist (day 3 or later, but before the cryptozoologists return to the inn). Ask him whether he is a cryptozoologist too. If your Conceptualization is 4 or less and your Authority is 5 or more, you'll get the option to pressure him about what he does for a living. Once he mentions he delivers pies, a passive Endurance check (gently caress if I know, but someone suggested 6 is the magic number) pops up to ask him for a pie.

Get Morell to head back to the Whirling-in-Rags, check all the traps, meet the cryptozoologists back at the hotel. You can now ask Gary for a pie. Eat it for the achievement.

Christ do I hate editing these save files. Still haven't figured out how to edit items into my inventory, at that.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 29, 2019

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

You can talk to the kimono??

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

The Saddest Rhino posted:

You can talk to the kimono??

Technically, you as the player can do that yes. Harry won't.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They should have a quicksave button

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

They do.

Try hitting F5

ETA: While we're at it, hit F1 and blow your mind.

Perhaps a hamster fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 29, 2019

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The gently caress, I had no idea there was a quicksave button. I swear I clicked through the hotkeys menu specifically looking for it. I've been saving and loading by going through the loving menu

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

there's also quickload (f7? i forgot)

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Games have bugs and if you are betting hours of your life on the idea that a game won't gently caress up, you did something wrong. The earlier people learn that lesson the better.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I would have hated this game if I hadn't savescummed at a few points. If you're planning on doing countless playthroughs and see how they turn out then okay, let the chips fall where they may, but I'm not putting time and effort into building a specific character and then letting it not pay off at all because whoops, critical failure, your choices didn't matter after all. This game is a CYOA and I'm going to choose my own drat adventure!!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

multijoe posted:

It's not weird to suggest that in any game with a manual save system you should be saving your game. This is not a new or novel concept.

The autosave is pretty terrible though. I don't know if the way I played didn't trigger it much, but I didn't see it save much during each day.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

NewMars posted:

Please do not listen to the kimono, it will only teach you to be racist, like itself.

It's very possible it might suggest I wear it "ironically" (milk emoji, OK emoji) and refer to Kim as a slant-eyed monkey to make very valid points about the importance of freedom of speech and his need to chill and be civil + respectful instead of getting all monkey mad.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Xander77 posted:

Despite my overwhelming technical incompetence, I've managed to figure out save-editing at least long enough to provide a basic guide to the Gluten-Free-Topping pie achievement.

Talk to Gary the Cryto-Fascist (on day 3, before the cryptozoologists return to the inn). Ask him whether he is a cryptozoologist too. If your Conceptualization is 4 or less and your Authority is 5 or more, you'll get the option to pressure him about what he does for a living. Once he mentions he delivers pies, a passive Endurance check (gently caress if I know, but at least in this case more = better) pops up to ask him for a pie.

Get Morell to head back to the Whirling-in-Rags, check all the traps, meet the cryptozoologists back at the hotel. You can now ask Gary for a pie. Eat it for the achievement.

Christ do I hate editing these save files. Still haven't figured out how to edit items into my inventory, at that.

10 is usually the point where your stats start regularly piping up

that seems like a weirdly specific skill requirement to get a pie though

Danger - Octopus! posted:

If it's the chair I think you mean, I got dialogue when I was offered a seat telling me just how uncomfortable and painful it looked but that might have been due to a skill check.

I have no idea how to refuse The Chair, volition informed me that even a titan of volition like myself could not do it

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 29, 2019

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Yinlock posted:

10 is usually the point where your stats start regularly piping up
Are you sure about that? I don't think I had a single stat above 10 when I played and had plenty of internal conversations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Volte posted:

Are you sure about that? I don't think I had a single stat above 10 when I played and had plenty of internal conversations.

I mean 10 total which is fairly easy to get, my int/psy skills chatted at me constantly at 10-11 while my body skills very rarely spoke

I got some clothes to bump electrochemistry to 10 and it suddenly wouldn't shut up about beer