Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tahirovic posted:

You can buy elk and reindeer meat in Sweden, pro country!
And moose poo in glass jars!

LordMune posted:

(and don't mind relocating to Stockholm)
Dealbreaker right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
man I'm pumped for CK3, gonna be sweet am I right fellas

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

LordMune posted:

I need more content designers for CK3! We've had the occasional goon success story in the past, so if you think you have what it takes (and don't mind relocating to Stockholm) please give it a shot: https://career.paradoxplaza.com/jobs/784482-content-designer-crusader-kings-iii

Not my expertise, but I am considering applying to the positions of Community Developer/Manager.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Tahirovic posted:

You can buy elk and reindeer meat in Sweden, pro country!

Meatballs made with deer and boar meat are pretty great.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Oh man I have a craving to play a bit meaty strategy game. Never touched one of these before. I'm thinking ck2 but how do I choose between that and eu4? I've read the op, happy to take advice on dlc. Is adding extra dlc likely to overwhelm me even more than I will be already? I'm definitely tempted by these sale bundles, I don't dive into things lightly but I don't want to make myself give up either.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Oh man I have a craving to play a bit meaty strategy game. Never touched one of these before. I'm thinking ck2 but how do I choose between that and eu4? I've read the op, happy to take advice on dlc. Is adding extra dlc likely to overwhelm me even more than I will be already? I'm definitely tempted by these sale bundles, I don't dive into things lightly but I don't want to make myself give up either.

They are pretty different games. EU is about playing a nation, CK is about playing a family. EU is about exploration, war, colonization, development, etc; is more like a standard 4X. CK2 is about role playing, marriages, growing children, titles, religion, war too, but is not such a big part

edit: I think base CK2 is still free, you might want to try it first. Is a very unique game, personally I rank it among the masterpieces of videogame. I like EU4 too, but CK2 is a real gem

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

eu4 is a meaty strategy game

ck2 is a medieval life simulator grafted on top of a semi-meaty strategy game

they are very different despite being superficially similar, but both are very good

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah ck2 I've heard the most stories of, I'll probably go with that. I like the sound of playing as a dynasty. I'll pop on over to that thread. Are any of the steam bundles obviously worthwhile? I'm happy to pick and choose dlc based on recommendations but it seems like I may as well move during sale time.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Yeah ck2 I've heard the most stories of, I'll probably go with that. I like the sound of playing as a dynasty. I'll pop on over to that thread. Are any of the steam bundles obviously worthwhile? I'm happy to pick and choose dlc based on recommendations but it seems like I may as well move during sale time.

None of them are critical but they fall into two main categories: the ones that build on some specific corner of the game (Sword of Islam, The Republic) and those that enrich gameplay in general (Reaper's Due, Way of Life). The general expansions are usually better because they improve the game for every character, but sometimes you just want to play as a horse nomad clan so they're all worth looking at.

The one that's closest to critical however, is Legacy of Rome which unlocks you a small standing army. A few hours playing CK2 with no DLC will convince you this is very useful.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Mind you CK2 might disappoint you if want strategy game specifically cause in that regard it's probably more primitive than modern Total War titles but with a much bigger and denser world. If you try to play it as a challenging strategic puzzle you are at mercy of randomness in events abd AI decisions. Relax and be prepared for all your plans foiling because of drunks spilling secrets, all the heirs turning out to be girls, neighbours consolidating into unbeatable blobs and so on and so on.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

ilitarist posted:

Mind you CK2 might disappoint you if want strategy game specifically cause in that regard it's probably more primitive than modern Total War titles but with a much bigger and denser world. If you try to play it as a challenging strategic puzzle you are at mercy of randomness in events abd AI decisions. Relax and be prepared for all your plans foiling because of drunks spilling secrets, all the heirs turning out to be girls, neighbours consolidating into unbeatable blobs and so on and so on.
This is okay - mostly I want meaty and in-depth, moreso than something that allows for perfect planning - adapting to random mishaps is something I generally like across genres.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
God I loathe the new launcher. It adds nothing to me, prevents me from playing modded Stellaris without jumping through a ton of hoops every time the game is launched and manages to gently caress up my EU4 install intermittently, with nothing changing on my end to cause it. I imagine if I was still playing the other PDX games, there'd be something hosed up there too. Please unfuck your poo poo PDX, so I can play your games instead of giving up and playing something else.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
The lack of control is a big part of why I like CK2 and I disagree with people who say it makes it less of a strategy game. It's just a different (and honestly more true to life) type of strategy.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

CK2 is probably now the best game to get into Paradox-style games with, primarily because the base game is now priced very reasonably at $Free.00

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah I'm gonna try it with no DLC and figure out by steam-sale end whether I'll go the distance.

cogito ergo incommo
Apr 2, 2010

Yeah I'm gonna try it with no DLC and figure out by steam-sale end whether I'll go the distance.

You can get the Old Gods expansion for free by signing up to their newsletter.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Gobblecoque posted:

The lack of control is a big part of why I like CK2 and I disagree with people who say it makes it less of a strategy game. It's just a different (and honestly more true to life) type of strategy.

I wasn't even talking about parts of CK2 that lack control. I'm fine with no plan surviving meeting with a reality. It's also about obscure mechanics that are relatively easy to play around, but due to the random nature of a game you'd never know without looking into files or doing a research. E.g. there are objectively right ways to educate children depending on what you want from them even though the system looks like it's for roleplaying. Same for mysterious effectiveness of a doctor, there's no way you'd just learn one simple trick to make your doctors more effective. Or obscure combat mechanics. Or that there are specific actions that AI will or will not do depending on their traits but it's very hard to notice on your own because of lots of random noise. Or diplomacy system that begs for something like EU4 macro diplomacy filter but instead is extremely inconsistent in its feedback. E.g. it will tell you that holy war might bring other rulers into the fight but never tells you that everybody loves this guy so they'll help him, or that he has tributaries so actually that number of troops thing is a lie.

EU4 has a lot of randomness too, and sheer number of actors doesn't let you have a perfect plan. But in CK2 you can accidentally inherit HRE or can struggle for century never getting more than a duchy. Both playthroughs might be equally enjoyable cause you're forging an interesting story, not a path to victory, and playing CK2 as a challenge is punishing yourself.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

ilitarist posted:

or that he has tributaries so actually that number of troops thing is a lie.

fwiw this is fixed now. tributaries, allies, and tribal vassals now show up in the troop totals when you mouseover.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

ilitarist posted:

E.g. there are objectively right ways to educate children depending on what you want from them even though the system looks like it's for roleplaying.

I feel sorry for anyone who uses the term “objectively” when talking about this game. Relax.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Yeah dude don't give the kid that you want to be an army leader a martial education, you're so uptight lol just click random buttons

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

It's hard to read those posts and not know which level of irony they are on. Yeah, just choosing martial education isn't enough, https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Education#Strategies

The point is that you can't talk about "objective" things in this game except when you can, it's inconsistent and unreliable. So you'd better not to think about it as a strategy game and not to try to play it well, play it fun. And there is the way to play it well, but it's not that fun, unlike EU4 where those playstyles are as close as they can be.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

ilitarist posted:

It's hard to read those posts and not know which level of irony they are on. Yeah, just choosing martial education isn't enough, https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Education#Strategies

The point is that you can't talk about "objective" things in this game except when you can, it's inconsistent and unreliable. So you'd better not to think about it as a strategy game and not to try to play it well, play it fun. And there is the way to play it well, but it's not that fun, unlike EU4 where those playstyles are as close as they can be.

I was just making fun of the "relax" comment. I normally turn off the Conclave education mechanics because I enjoy it far more to try to educate children personally and give them every good trait imaginable, so I'm definitely the guy who would be hunting own the best way to do anything in the files.
What you find fun isn't what everyone finds fun.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The game gives you a loose idea as to what traits you can get from each educational path, even if it leaves out important potential results. It can give you the illusion of making optimal choices even if it's not actually the objectively correct decision. That's a lot more common than you'd think with complex systems in games, and it's not even necessarily intentional to design it like that, because designers could've been fooled in the same way, or even didn't mean to put in an "optimal" path.

It's a little like how climbing in Assassin's Creed looks complex and sometimes makes players feel like they're doing a bunch of things, when in practice it's mostly just holding a direction and one or two buttons while the game shows you complex animations you barely have control over. In the absence of real precision or complexity, games can still give you the illusion of control.

Of course, it doesn't matter as much to me because I often am too busy with other things to worry about how my kid is growing up. I put enough time into trying to track down a good strategic marriage for the little fucker, I'm not gonna keep doublechecking his traits when I need to be busy destroying Scotland or something.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's a little like how climbing in Assassin's Creed looks complex and sometimes makes players feel like they're doing a bunch of things

Does it? I'm willing to be overruled here but I didn't know anyone felt that the shift + W parkour system made them do a bunch of things. I vaguely remember people complaining about it on AC1's release, in fact, but that might be misremembered.
I mean, there's that infamous jump up to a beam (in AC2 I think) that most people took ages to figure out because they didn't even know that you could just jump upwards, since most of the game is just auto-parkour.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GrossMurpel posted:

Does it? I'm willing to be overruled here but I didn't know anyone felt that the shift + W parkour system made them do a bunch of things. I vaguely remember people complaining about it on AC1's release, in fact, but that might be misremembered.
I mean, there's that infamous jump up to a beam (in AC2 I think) that most people took ages to figure out because they didn't even know that you could just jump upwards, since most of the game is just auto-parkour.
I haven't played AC, but Sonic's railroaded spin around on the track parts have the described effect - you feel like you're flying around at high speed even if, ultimately, it's illusory and the player has little control at all.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Huntress X Thompson has a video specificially talking about the politics of Paradox games that is pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX-0pn_Xyyk

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Huntress X Thompson has a video specificially talking about the politics of Paradox games that is pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX-0pn_Xyyk

Obviously she is mistaken about Paradox being a singular entity that makes conscious decisions about mechanics and localisations... those are things individual developers do. You can at best say a particular project is biased/ignorant in a particular way

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Enjoy posted:

Obviously she is mistaken about Paradox being a singular entity that makes conscious decisions about mechanics and localisations... those are things individual developers do. You can at best say a particular project is biased/ignorant in a particular way

Death of the authors.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Death of the authors.

What do you mean

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Enjoy posted:

If Paradox allows the product out under their name then they're implicitly endorsing it.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If Paradox allows the product out under their name then they're implicitly endorsing it.

Okay, I guess Ebba Ljungerud thinks Pol Pot was an anarchist

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I'm not going to watch a half hour youtube video by someone named "Huntress X Thompson".

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

I'm not going to watch a half hour youtube video by someone named "Huntress X Thompson".

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Don't judge a book by its cover.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

I'm not going to watch a half hour youtube video

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Poil posted:

Don't judge a book by its cover.

I wouldn't read a book by Huntress X Thompson either.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

GrossMurpel posted:

Yeah dude don't give the kid that you want to be an army leader a martial education, you're so uptight lol just click random buttons

Holy poo poo watch out for that point, it went just over your head!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I watch few lengthy youtube videos but pdox games do present an inherently sort-of-bad message about how the world works, and despite protests by people who don't want to think about it, they do influence how people (especially kids and teenagers who do in fact play the poo poo out of these games) see history and by consequence modern society. It's an interesting topic and enjoyable to talk about imo, and I'd like to see Paradox take stronger steps against the outright fash section of their fanbase. Any sort of historical strategy game attracts various brands of crazy nationalist but you don't have to, as a company, be polite to them or sidestep telling them to gently caress off.

But again, it's video games so it doesn't matter and besides it's a total coincidence that nazis make memes about CK and EU more than about Pokémon.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

I was just making fun of the "relax" comment. I normally turn off the Conclave education mechanics because I enjoy it far more to try to educate children personally and give them every good trait imaginable, so I'm definitely the guy who would be hunting own the best way to do anything in the files.
What you find fun isn't what everyone finds fun.

Can you turn off the Conclave education mechanics without turning off Conclave's Council mechanics as well? Because if I have to choose between one or the other I would choose the council, but I definitely do like the original education mechanics better than what we have now, so I would love to split the difference like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Any sort of historical strategy game attracts various brands of crazy nationalist but you don't have to, as a company, be polite to them or sidestep telling them to gently caress off.

Ah but you see, that might cost this publicly traded company money, and it is capitalism we live under. Number Must Go UP.