Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OzyMandrill posted:

Wtf dude?
He never jumped the barrier, that was the plain clothes policemen who chased him down and shot him for having brown skin.
He did wear a puffa jacket though.

The Criminal Law Act 1977 39.7 defines the offence of wearing a big coat what we don't like in a public place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
NPR has led with this for their last two hourly updates.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

willie_dee posted:

When they are a threat.

Which comes back to the old hitting moped criminals with cars argument I got rinsed for in here last time.

If the cop hadn’t of engaged the criminal would have gotten away and no one would of got hurt, so by confronting him in an attempt to arrest him the cop created the threat in a way. But capitulating to criminals and allowing them to commit crime so they don’t get hurt seems like a fairly terrible way to uphold the law.

lol, you brought up your previous 'police should splatter moped thieves across their car bonnets' argument like it was something to be proud of.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

OwlFancier posted:

If your cops have only two settings which is ignore people or murder them, perhaps your concept of justice needs looking into.

How else do you deal with someone with a knife who isn’t dropping it?

It’s firearms sadly.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Darth Walrus posted:

lol, you brought up your previous 'police should splatter moped thieves across their car bonnets' argument like it was something to be proud of.

it was funny I was sitting here thinking "this dude sucks and I can't remember why"

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

willie_dee posted:

It’s firearms sadly.

There are literally no other options available. Shoot them all.

InflateableFerret
Dec 1, 2005

I pooped my pants

willie_dee posted:

It’s firearms sadly.

a taser? rubber bullets? sound cannons and water jets?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Darth Walrus posted:

What? Hardly. I got rinsed for it in here and it taught me a lot and gave me a point of view that I didn’t find any where else online at all. Stop reading and placing emotion into words that isn’t there you weirdo.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

willie_dee posted:

It’s firearms sadly.

Simply expose your swords which have been carefully hidden inside your xxxxl imitation leather trench coat and talk the attacker down using logic showing there is no god. One simple tip from dozy depressed dipshits that the police don’t want you to know about!!!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

willie_dee posted:

It’s firearms sadly.

The general public literally fought the guy on the bridge to the ground with weight of numbers before the cops showed up to wave their guns around. If you're going to have police maybe you could, I dunno, give them training and equipment so they can subdue a guy with a knife in some way other than murdering them?

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

willie_dee posted:

It’s firearms sadly.

this is wrong. the use of firearms in public places is wrong. Many other solutions exist; you could, for example, throw your billy club at'em. Or keep people away and wait the knife-holder out. Escalation of violence is cowardly.

e:

Bape Culture posted:

Simply expose your swords which have been carefully hidden inside your xxxxl imitation leather trench coat and talk the attacker down using logic showing there is no god. One simple tip from dozy depressed dipshits that the police don’t want you to know about!!!

Which side are you arguing, here? if you're cheerleading willie dee, you should gently caress off. If not, you should be less tongue-in-cheek.

Superterranean fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 29, 2019

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
look we get enough Americans coming in after every quasi-terrorist attack going "bet you guys wish you had guns now" without Brits starting to do it too

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

InflateableFerret posted:

a taser? rubber bullets? sound cannons and water jets?

Ah yes or how about some other magical martial art like Akido training and chakra magic.

Give me a knife and give you all of those things and you try and arrest me. The risk to your life is significant. Rubber bullets and tasers very very often do not work.

Or are you of the opinions we should be asking police officers to openly and willingly sacrifice their lives to arrest people that are trying to kill them?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How can you possibly deal with a man with a knife other than by shooting him?

https://twitter.com/GeorgeRobarts/status/1200445403839246336

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

The general public literally fought the guy on the bridge to the ground with weight of numbers before the cops showed up to wave their guns around. If you're going to have police maybe you could, I dunno, give them training and equipment so they can subdue a guy with a knife in some way other than murdering them?

How many injured members of the public are there?

How did that work out in the last attack?

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Sounds like this shooting may be justified. I don't blame the police for shooting if they had any suspicion that the guy was wearing a suicide vest.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
As an american I can tell you that the proliferation of guns and free reign for police to "defend themselves" has led to nothing but good things for my country

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
gently caress OFF WITH YOUR GUN WANK YOU UTTER oval office

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

willie_dee posted:

Ah yes or how about some other magical martial art like Akido training and chakra magic.

Give me a knife and give you all of those things and you try and arrest me. The risk to your life is significant. Rubber bullets and tasers very very often do not work.

Or are you of the opinions we should be asking police officers to openly and willingly sacrifice their lives to arrest people that are trying to kill them?

Escalation of violence is cowardly. the assumption that mY LIfe iS in MOrtaL daNGEr all the time is the reason ACAB.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

willie_dee posted:

Mate the police aren't going to gently caress you

You've got to be in a left-wing activist group for that

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

willie_dee posted:

It’s firearms sadly.

Unfortunately it is when its an area of importance like central London.
This isn't the first attack on the bridge, and the impetus is to stop whatever it is asap.

Tasers, rubber bullets, whatever non-gun would be more moral and humane, but these are not a 100% that it will stop the attacker.
Bullets do, and will be used.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

willie_dee posted:

Yes??? This is supposed to by why we have to fellate the bastards at every opportunity. "thank u brave cops for showing up and gunning down a guy on the pavement that the general public had already fought to protect themselves from" doesn't really have the same ring to it.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

FiftySeven posted:

Sounds like this shooting may be justified. I don't blame the police for shooting if they had any suspicion that the guy was wearing a suicide vest.

I wonder why these attackers are wearing fake suicide vests all of a sudden. Oh well, if we kill enough violent people I'm sure we can get rid of violence soon enough

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

OzyMandrill posted:

Wtf dude?
He never jumped the barrier, that was the plain clothes policemen who chased him down and shot him for having brown skin.

He was pinned to the ground, then shot in the head, iirc it was because he was wearing a puffa jacket after 1998

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

willie_dee posted:

:fuckoff:

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

unwantedplatypus posted:

As an american I can tell you that the proliferation of guns and free reign for police to "defend themselves" has led to nothing but good things for my country

No ones arguing for free reign and guns to be the norm in every defence situation.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

happyhippy posted:

Unfortunately it is when its an area of importance like central London.
This isn't the first attack on the bridge, and the impetus is to stop whatever it is asap.

Tasers, rubber bullets, whatever non-gun would be more moral and humane, but these are not a 100% that it will stop the attacker.
Bullets do, and will be used.

bullets aren't 100% either just fyi

better start arming the police with flamethrowers straight out of Wolfenstein

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

willie_dee posted:

No ones arguing for free reign and guns to be the norm in every defence situation.

Nobody argues for that in america either, and yet that's the reality of my country. Funny that

What's funnier, we don't have people arguing for free reign and guns to be the norm in every defence situation, but we have a lot of people that make the exact same arguments you do!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

willie_dee posted:

You literally are arguing that if a cop feels their life is threatened we need to let them murder people. This provably leads to the police just murdering everyone because they believe their lives are always in danger.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Yes??? This is supposed to by why we have to fellate the bastards at every opportunity. "thank u brave cops for showing up and gunning down a guy on the pavement that the general public had already fought to protect themselves from" doesn't really have the same ring to it.

How many people have been wounded?

Considering it’s just been announced that the dude had an explosive suicide vest on this isn’t the hot take you think it is.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Police in the UK are specifically trained and expected to arrest people with knives without shooting them. It's what stab vests, tasers, and truncheons are for. On the other hand, I don't blame someone for not wanting to play the 'is this a real or fake bomb vest' game when they're right inside the blast radius.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Julio Cruz posted:

the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a Mecha-Hitler is a good guy with a Mecha-Hitler

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Of course the police were justified in shooting this guy, he was in the middle of committing a terrorist attack. I can't believe there are people in this thread having a pop at the police barely minutes after they stopped a terrorist clearly aiming to kill random innocent people.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

The only way to stop a terrorist attack is to prevent it from happening in the first place, which is why its a sad necessity that we have to put individuals with high risk factors (such as having brown skin or left wing ideology) on special watch lists.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Did I miss the story about how police are constantly being murdered with knives? Or is this the first knife attack to ever occur in London the police have dealt with?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

willie_dee posted:

How many people have been wounded?

Considering it’s just been announced that the dude had an explosive suicide vest on this isn’t the hot take you think it is.

TIL that steroid use causes lack of reading comprehension, in addition to bursts of aggression and testicular shrinkage

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The police didn't stop him, the random people on the bridge stopped him.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

FiftySeven posted:

Even if he wasn't wearing a vest they'd say they suspected he was since otherwise they just shot a man for no reason. Not that that's stopped the Met before but y'know.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

You literally are arguing that if a cop feels their life is threatened we need to let them murder people. This provably leads to the police just murdering everyone because they believe their lives are always in danger.

Where have I ever said “if a cop feels their life is threatened”?! Simply feeling threatened is not an excuse which is why it’s an absolute disgrace the cop that tasered the race relations Bristol guy in the face kept her job.

I’ve said when someone has a knife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

willie_dee posted:

Yes? Police frequently us a shield as their symbol/badge. A shield is meant to take the blow to protect the person behind. If you have a shield that refuses to be put in danger, you have a pretty useless shield.

Cops being more interested in protecting themselves is how you get massive abuses of power and a victimised citizenry