Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Look Sir Droids posted:

I’m so happy to read this. Can’t wait for the PC version.

I’m looking forward to playing it again on PC. 60fps would be really nice for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

It's really loving good, Droids.

i'm gonna die

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Nthing the Death Stranding love.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Sorry if this has been covered a lot already, but we all agree that Hal loving sucks in MGSV.

I played peace walker twice, before MGSV. I loving love peace walker and it's one of my favourite MGS games. I'm not the best rememberer of plots though, but I don't remember Hal being a complete rear end in a top hat in peace walker, so I was quite glad to meet him in MGSV. Was there any foreshadowing in peace walker of him being awful? Or was he just the not-Otacon helper guy there that I remember him being?

edit: Death Stranding GOTY

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
The tip off that Hal is an rear end in a top hat is that he’s the one that wants to put a nuke in ZEKE and he’s responsible for the fall of Motherbase in Ground Zeroes.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Huey's outwardly a nice guy in Peace Walker, but he also turns on a dime from being totally against Hot Coldman and what the Peace Walker Project stands for to happily building Boss a nuclear armed Metal Gear to serve the exact same purpose as soon as the opportunity arises

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Don’t forget his gravest sin.

He made fun of Big Boss for still believing in Santa.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Christopher Randolph did such a great job as Huey in V. He's the perfect whiny dipshit lying nerd.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I was expecting there to be some big twist about how everything was a setup and Huey was completely absolved of everything they accused him of but no, the guy just kept digging himself deeper and deeper into his hole. It was actually kind of refreshing to see how straightforward it all was.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Huey was a bag of poo poo and I wanted to throw him into the ocean, but Boring Snake said no.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Shine posted:

Huey was a bag of poo poo and I wanted to throw him into the ocean, but Boring Snake said no.

See, I think Venom had some sort of future sight here, and he knew that Huey was going to get cucked by his own son so hard he'd die, and decided that was much better revenge than a plain into the sea with ye

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I saw some Death Stranding, and I don't know man, I think i'm done with Kojima's poo poo.

He had a chance of having an editor filter all the poo poo out, but at this point, i'm glad i'm not paying and playing this game. Was really looking forward to this game too

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What do you want filtered out? I think it’s his best paced game in a long time.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

He put baby yoda inside a bottle for you, turned your controller into a profound tool of human connection and child care simulation… and this is how you thank Kojima san

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

With MGSV, I ended up asking myself if the game actually had an ending that was cut, or if it just felt that way cuz of the disjointed nature of the writing.

Goddamn did I enjoy my playthrough... but I don't know if I can run it again

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

redreader posted:

Sorry if this has been covered a lot already, but we all agree that Hal loving sucks in MGSV.

I played peace walker twice, before MGSV. I loving love peace walker and it's one of my favourite MGS games. I'm not the best rememberer of plots though, but I don't remember Hal being a complete rear end in a top hat in peace walker, so I was quite glad to meet him in MGSV. Was there any foreshadowing in peace walker of him being awful? Or was he just the not-Otacon helper guy there that I remember him being?

edit: Death Stranding GOTY
Hal isn't in MGSV.

His dad, Huey, is.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

The best/worst Huey bit is when in the course of one conversation his lies gradually transition from ”I was never allowed to meet my son!” To “My son wanted me to make him testpilot my experimental nuclear weapons robot!”

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Fargin Icehole posted:

I saw some Death Stranding, and I don't know man, I think i'm done with Kojima's poo poo.

He had a chance of having an editor filter all the poo poo out, but at this point, i'm glad i'm not paying and playing this game. Was really looking forward to this game too

Why don't you actually play Death Stranding

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Sounds to me like you are not giving the game a fair chance. I've played the game for like 2 weeks now couple hours a day and I haven't seen anything that's unusual for Kojima.

Microtransactions from TPP and Survive are however curiously absent. It's almost as if Konami contributed nothing of worth to the series. :hmmyes:

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Roach Warehouse posted:

The best/worst Huey bit is when in the course of one conversation his lies gradually transition from ”I was never allowed to meet my son!” To “My son wanted me to make him testpilot my experimental nuclear weapons robot!”

Although, given his his son is Otacon that last part is at least partially believable.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Just started Death Stranding last night, met del Toro’s character before I had to go to bed for travel today. Seems ok so far.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Not that I want to turn this into the Death Stranding thread (which I am staying away from due to spoilers), but I am in the final chapters of the game and while I adore the Metal Gear series, this is easily the best game and most coherent statement Kojima has ever made.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hi Metal Gear thread, I'm in a kinda weird position with the series, I've never really touched an MGS game before getting talked into MGSV a while back. I'm loving the hell out of the gameplay a second time around and it's got me curious about playing some of the older ones.

So I'm curious since I'm coming at the series backwards, especially since the refined gameplay is what grabbed me - is there much hope of enjoying the older ones without having played them first back in the day? Is there even a good way to play them now? I saw at least a few on the PS subscription service but don't know how the experience fares on there. I also tried the Snake Eater demo on 3DS (since it looks like the most likely one to grab me) but had an insta-nope for the controls on that system.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

MGS4 and Peacewalker controls are probably bearable for you, but if you couldn’t deal with Snakeeater anything before that is in the same boat or more difficult to deal with.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

3DS Snake Eater isn’t a good representation of the controls, try to play it on one of the Sony systems. Even the Vita would be more representative than the 3DS.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
MGS3 is often considered the best because it has very good pacing and lots of attention to detail not even many modern games have.

The controls are a product of its time but they work in the game's context once you practice a little.

PS3 HD Collection is probably the best way to play it.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello

Captain Hygiene posted:

Hi Metal Gear thread, I'm in a kinda weird position with the series, I've never really touched an MGS game before getting talked into MGSV a while back. I'm loving the hell out of the gameplay a second time around and it's got me curious about playing some of the older ones.

So I'm curious since I'm coming at the series backwards, especially since the refined gameplay is what grabbed me - is there much hope of enjoying the older ones without having played them first back in the day? Is there even a good way to play them now? I saw at least a few on the PS subscription service but don't know how the experience fares on there. I also tried the Snake Eater demo on 3DS (since it looks like the most likely one to grab me) but had an insta-nope for the controls on that system.

Did you play Snake Eater on a DS that had a second analogue stick? If you didn't then playing the HD collection would almost certainly control better

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah I was unclear, it was specifically the 3DS ABXY buttons as camera/aiming that I couldn’t get into, and skipped out before really getting into the game. I think the HD collection is what I saw for PS Now, guess trying that for a month is my best bet.

Peace Walker seemed like the best bet to try since it's the immediate predecessor, but I kind of ignored it since I don't have a PSP.

SatelliteCore
Oct 16, 2008

needa get dat cake up

Even with the second analog stick (3DSXL or Circle Pad Pro) the controls are rear end.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I have to think Snake Eater is way better with a gamepad on a full screen, but also I like to think that each game is distinct enough to be playable even with the parts that are dated. They're classics for a reason, and if you accept that you can't change the things which are improved upon in later games, they're very fun classics.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah I was unclear, it was specifically the 3DS ABXY buttons as camera/aiming that I couldn’t get into, and skipped out before really getting into the game. I think the HD collection is what I saw for PS Now, guess trying that for a month is my best bet.

Peace Walker seemed like the best bet to try since it's the immediate predecessor, but I kind of ignored it since I don't have a PSP.

Peace Walker also got an HD remaster for PS3 and you can play the original version on a Vita if that helps.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, the HD Collection is on PS Now and has MGS2, MGS3, and Peace Walker together in one package. The version of MGS3 it uses also has the first two Metal Gear titles included as a bonus too. MGS4, Ground Zeroes, Phantom Pain, as well as Metal Gear Rising are all on PS Now as well. The HD Collection is, in my opinion, well worth a month's subscription alone. My favourite is 2, but 3 and PW are great as well.

I'd say the HD Collection is a good place to continue on from, since MGS1 isn't as easy to play nowadays. I will always go to bat for 2 and I do think it's a good place to start from, but in terms of gameplay it probably hasn't aged as well as 3, and its... er, "philosophy" can be overwrought at the best of times.

To be honest, the only one I wouldn't recommend is 4. Both as a starting point and in general.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I started with MGS4 and it just made me curious about the series. MGS4 is stupid and it owns.

There’s really not a bad place to start. If the batshit lore mixed with goofy poo poo interests you, you’ll be hooked wherever you dive in.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'd just start with MGS. Its relative simplicity makes it a lot more accessible than the sequels. It's obviously dated, but it plays much much better than most games from 98.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Twin Snakes is cool and pretty accessible, haven’t had any trouble emulating it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ah sweet, I hadn't realized Peace Walker was in that collection too, I thought it was the first three games for some reason. Guess PS Now with the collection is my starting point.

I think I have the most memories of seeing playthroughs of 4, my recollection is that the gameplay looks solid but interrupted by story pretty excessive even for the series.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Necrothatcher posted:

I'd just start with MGS. Its relative simplicity makes it a lot more accessible than the sequels. It's obviously dated, but it plays much much better than most games from 98.

Plus you can knock it out in like an afternoon. MGS1 is not a long game, which I think worked towards its favor at the time. It's focused in a way future games would move away from.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 29, 2019

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Mgs 2/3/peace Walker are in the collection. I don't think mgs1 is though! But it should be $10 on PSN.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

collection is 2,3,4,PW and MGS1 is like $10 on PSN

I have a PS3 setup that is literally only for MGS games and SotN, love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Ambivalent posted:

collection is 2,3,4,PW and MGS1 is like $10 on PSN

I have a PS3 setup that is literally only for MGS games and SotN, love it.

Ok, my mistake. I have some other thing that must not be the collection, that is 2/3/peace walker. I think it's mgs remastered or something.