Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jobbo_Fett posted:

God what a bad song.

The instrumentals are passably cheesy but the lyrics and the singers just suuuuuuuuuuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Obviously if they don't say it is a scam it isn't a scam. Duh. What are you. Some kind of idiot?

No I am not. Btw thanks for the bridge you sold me. It is nice!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

no_recall posted:

I just ordered a rift s for $350.

What ship can i get with that money?

350 is scrub money. That's barely even second-tier. You could get a Terrapin, or a Vanguard, or a Constellation. You aren't really ready to play with the big boys until you've put in 600 or more though. You'll be at the mercy of anybody in a superfighter or a megaship like the hammerhead.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

hot ham water posted:

It's Citcon 2021 and Star Citizen is released and good. The PC gaming community is in awe as Chris Bear Roberts continues to singlehandledly make games good again. Sandi poses with her star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

There are stories that ask me for suspension of disbelief and then there are stories that insult my intelligence. This seems to fall in the latter category.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What are the odds of Roberts choosing to duck out at some point, effectively leaving the project like Dean Hall from DayZ?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Chris Robbers had just finished personally rendering every hair on a space man's rear end in a top hat when he turned to Sandi and said, "You know, this looks really smooth."

He said that is a feeling he sometimes has about his work. He had just finished rendering an rear end. When Sandi wanted to know why, Robbers said, "It's kind of glistening to the touch," which she found adorable.

Advertisement

"I think most of the times I have made it to the end of a day and haven't really seen or felt anything,

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What are the odds of Roberts choosing to duck out at some point, effectively leaving the project like Dean Hall from DayZ?

I do not see that one happening unless he can save face by virtue of an external unstoppable force imposed onto him that may be used as excuse, i.e. the FTC, CryTek lawsuit, Calders, serious health problems or similar externality. I.e. "I tried my best but the bad guys have won".

He has got a world record funding and no pressure from publishers. Unless the excuse is a "Force Majeure" (real or spinned) he can not leave.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Nov 29, 2019

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think the most likely conclusion is a messy divorce, which Chris uses as an excuse to go crazy and enter rehab, after which he apologizes very much for spending everyone's money without making a game but if you give him another chance he can finish it, promise

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

rePool posted:

Bitconnect would like to chat with this fine feller.

e:

For you Oldschoolsmart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCcwn6bGUtU

One thing I love about Bitconnect is how it discredits the US judicial systems. Goes to show that as long as you plan ahead and stick to robbing plebs (definitely don't gently caress with oligarchs/lackeys/wannabees), you can engage in any type of crminal activity.

Same with Star Citizen.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

MedicineHut posted:

I do not see that one happening unless he can save face by virtue of an external unstoppable force imposed onto him that may be used as excuse, i.e. the FTC, CryTek lawsuit, Calders, serious health problems or similar externality. I.e. "I tried my best but the bad guys have won".

He has got a world record funding and no pressure from publishers. Unless the excuse is a "Force Majeure" (real or spinned) he can not leave.

Thats been his MO though for everything else he has worked on outside of his time with Origin. He blamed everyone else on his movie from producers changing his script, set/costume designers getting that wrong.

Freelancer is the same,blaming Microsoft for turning what was effectively his scope creep to a watered down version of his vision to lack of supporting the game after he was kicked off it.

He ain't leaving till the locks are on the door or being forced out by the Calders. But I don't see the latter happening though because if Chris was forced out, would the backers keep funding this tire fire or start to worry if someone else was running the company.

It's like Steve Jobs death with Apple stock, even if he weren't apart of the day to day operations, Chris being removed will have a effect to backers.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

stingtwo posted:

It's like Steve Jobs death with Apple stock, even if he weren't apart of the day to day operations, Chris being removed will have a effect to backers.

That comparison breaks down since Steve Jobs shipped more than zero products in his last 16 years.

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?

precision posted:

I think the most likely conclusion is a messy divorce, which Chris uses as an excuse to go crazy and enter rehab, after which he apologizes very much for spending everyone's money without making a game but if you give him another chance he can finish it, promise

he's not cool enough for that, he's a dork

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WelcomeBowedDunnart-mobile.mp4

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
The ship AI is in, I see.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Commander B'Tak in the background there, trembling so hard at the thought of non-consensual PVP that it's actually making his ship quake in fear too.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The instrumentals are passably cheesy but the lyrics and the singers just suuuuuuuuuuck.

Its worse than the joke credit song from CoD Modern Warfare.

Its bad. Its really bad, but its bad because its such a tryhard song.

As for quality, yeah the singer lacks emotion, the lyrics aren't terribly evocative, and theres nothing about the beat that is memorable.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009
Took a programming break, figured I'd watch something - went to Twitch and saw someone was playing SC. Figured I'd watch to see what unfiltered Star Citizen game-play looks like at 6am.

Guy is riding a train, which is slamming around bends and hitching violently - nothing surprising, but still hard to look at. He gets to the station and you can immediately see an NPC stutter-stepping around. He wanders around a place that appears to be Hurston Dynamics' HQ/Showroom, which looks quite pretty: sharp edges, glass and marble, with some very high-quality ship railgun models on display. After a moment I realize that all of the 10+ railguns on display are the same railgun model. All of the NPCs are sliding around, staring at nothing, clipping through each other, LITERALLY STANDING ON TOP OF EACH OTHER, and one was embedded in the ceiling. He actually acknowledged that last one, commenting that it "probably isn't right". Before I closed out I saw him miss the return train by a second or so, which isn't a problem considering waiting for transit is a great way to make conversation with other players (there were no other players). The atrocity, though, was that a few seconds later a different train came into the station from the direction the first train came from.

I've not seen any video of Star Citizen - live or otherwise - since the beginning of the project that didn't contain horrible issues. That's not some hyperbole to snark on the project, it's just an unbelievable thing to me. When I see this level of dysfunction in games, they're Unity asset-flips.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

HexiDave posted:

I've not seen any video of Star Citizen - live or otherwise - since the beginning of the project that didn't contain horrible issues. That's not some hyperbole to snark on the project, it's just an unbelievable thing to me. When I see this level of dysfunction in games, they're Unity asset-flips.

Early days, man. Early days.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

HexiDave posted:

it's an alphaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

precision posted:

Oh god, another Kickstarter.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Blockbuster quality character animations are in!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXvhBi33Vqk

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Quavers posted:

Out of all the companies in the world we have CIG tossing shade at Musk. What a time to be alive. Their amount of hubris is astounding.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Quavers posted:

FUUUUCK :barf:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The subreddit is so weird, it'll be weeks of screenshots and fawning praise, and then a thread like this where people are pretty candid about how scammy the ship prices and marketing are: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/e3d2v0/sc_community_on_black_friday?sort=new

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Quavers posted:

What a time to be alive. :laffo:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The subreddit is so weird, it'll be weeks of screenshots and fawning praise, and then a thread like this where people are pretty candid about how scammy the ship prices and marketing are: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/e3d2v0/sc_community_on_black_friday?sort=new

"There's nothing to spend money on so I'm literally spending money on nothing"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Ok, that made me go watch the cybertruck unveiling and jesus loving christ none of you better be investing in Tesla because what the gently caress was that demo and why did they get the scrawniest loser to barely swing at the truck.

I haven't seen someone pull a swing that hard since I played baseball when I was 9.

Who the gently caress swings like that? Who can't get some heft to the sledgehammer? You have to prove its a loving tough vehicle!

The answer is because revealing the obvious flaws in their design hurts their market value and that's why Tesla lost almost 1 billion dollars in value after that demo

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019
oh loving hell. Reading that second post where Chris Roberts doesnt approve of something that's detrimental to the visuals pissed me off.

No wonder what you're left with are simple quests like sending boxes and bounty hunting.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Colostomy Bag posted:

Out of all the companies in the world we have CIG tossing shade at Musk. What a time to be alive. Their amount of hubris is astounding.

To be fair, everybody is tossing shade on Musk. It has less to do with hubris and more with, well, Elon Musk

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It's a lot less impressive to bash something and not have it break when it happens in a CGI animation.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

It's a lot less impressive to bash something and not have it break when it happens in a CGI animation.

I'll have you know that even CIG's animations are so hyper-realistic that the only reason we aren't in space ships right now is because Chris Roberts hasn't yet trusted the human race with the ability to live amongst the stars.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Star Citizen: unlikely to be favoured with CR

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

These poor graphics artists, you can tell a lot of them have talent and ambition but CR has to strangle any sense out of the games design. They know what the problem are but aren't allowed to fix them in a sane way.

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019
You would also think that a ship that's clad in shield in space would not have noticeable scratches on the glass.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Imagine having your army of artists working on useless poo poo like "biome accumulation" because the actual functionality of the game is so far behind that there's nothing real for them to work on.

They should probably let half their artists go to free up a ton of salary room and then use it to hire half their number in actual competent developers and at least 1 person that can prevent Chris' "vision" from continually loving up the project.
As usual though, the actual ongoing issue is that everything has to be approved by Chris which must be slowing down the progress to a crawl, while also making the game completely incoherent.

What gets me is that in that interview where they talked about the Wing Commander movie he said something about how he wished he had someone around to rein him in and make him cut stuff out of the movie to make it maintainable. Now it's the same drat thing happening and he refuses again to have someone play that role. Chris can be the vision guy, sure whatever, but he needs someone else to actually be running the design of the game and push back against his nonsense.

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019
Think it would hard for them to get anyone notable, when they are working with a vision that is close to impossible with the computation, bandwith, power that we have.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

echothreealpha posted:

Think it would hard for them to get anyone notable, when they are working with a vision that is close to impossible with the computation, bandwith, power that we have.

jennison_letter.txt

(For any new people who haven't seen it, google it — it will explain 90% of what's going wrong at CI¬G).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

MedicineHut posted:

Jump points done right! NSFW

https://kapwi.ng/c/GXaYmwBo

Take your goddamned :five: and get the gently caress out of here.