Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
Voted for Benoit but the Paul Heyman stuff made me think really hard about my decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Russo takes the cake cause of his role in causing WCW to close and ruining leverage for wrestler for years
This probably swings it towards Russo for me; he wasn't alone in ruining WCW, but he did enough and, judging how he subsequently booked TNA, learned absolutely nothing from destroying one company already.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Sticky Nate posted:

Benoit's arms were too short to put the crown on his head if he won King of the Ring.

Heyman, and ECW as a whole, were very bad for wrestling.

At least we don't have to deal with Benoit nostalgia.

My not-at-all bold prediction is that the further away we get from the murders the easier it will be for Benoit nostalgia to creep in. And that's without even discussing the weirdos who've insisted on his innocence from day one and spouted insane nonsense like Kevin Sullivan did it. I'm already long past the point where I can't watch his matches. poo poo, I enjoy the hell out of his in-ring stuff even having that lingering thought at the back of my mind that he's a monster & doing the poo poo he's doing here at least somewhat contributed to it.

None of this is me defending Benoit, hell, even if he hadn't murdered his own wife & son I think there's enough in Benoit where him vs Heyman is a hard contest to choose from with things like his abuse of Nancy.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I honestly thought any mention of Kevin Sullivan being responsible was a joke that had been beaten to death, are there really people that still push this as an actual theory?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I honestly thought any mention of Kevin Sullivan being responsible was a joke that had been beaten to death, are there really people that still push this as an actual theory?

I can't say I've heard it uttered sincerely in a decade, but that doesn't mean there aren't still believers.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Pope Corky the IX posted:

So was the flat earth in the 1800s but now people believe the joke because humanity is one large cargo cult.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Benoit nostalgia absolutely exists, not in the mainstream but in the dark corners of the internet.

Unrelated, I think ECW nostalgia has been milked dry by this point. All the good wrestlers are either dead, retired or Chris Jericho and nobody cares about the Tommy Dreamers of the world anymore. It helps that the "rebellious indie" niche has been satisfied a million times over, whereas only TNA and now AEW have really taken a crack at filling the "successor to WCW" market.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I still enjoy Benoit matches but they are super creepy to watch now so they never end up in my recommendations to others.

Although I do find it distressing that everyone that emulates dynamite kid ends up brain scrambled messes.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1200461488558870528

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Wichlinski is a new name to me, so er, thanks MRT?

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Sounds like Wichlinski abused more people so I gotta go with him.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TheKingslayer posted:

I think I gotta go with AJ here. Being so outwardly and publicly gross with slurs kinda cinches it up.

What's the list of people Brock has hurt by the way? I know he hosed up Bob Holly and Orton and I'm not gonna weep over those two assholes.

Lesnar also said in the article that ESPN wrote about him when he was trying out for the Vikings, and this is a direct quote

quote:

I don't like gays. Write that down in your little notebook. I don't like gays.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Wichlinski abused more people but wasn't in position to make them actual abused slaves whose lives and minds were destroyed the way Savage did. i don't know about that one. rather not vote

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

yeah, the savage/elizabeth stuff is incredibly disturbing and gross. had to go with the trainer though. guy like that probably abused more people than we'll ever know.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Anything specific about Wichlinski actively abusing people, or was he just an inappropriate pervert?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Aesop Poprock posted:

Anything specific about Wichlinski actively abusing people, or was he just an inappropriate pervert?

Here's the Anonymous complaint that was posted about him and DeMott.

quote:

First, please understand that it is of the utmost importance that I maintain my anonymity, and hopefully by the end of this you will understand why. I have told some of my story to a reporter, but it seems that unfortunately they were yet another outlet who has been told not to touch this story. Please bear with me as I've never used reddit before.

To be honest, I’m not really sure where to start. In developmental, Bill scared us so much that it made us ashamed and scared to speak up about anything. The abusive environment was so hard to operate within, but that fear is very hard to leave behind. The few people who have come forward have alluded to some of what I want to talk about, but understand that this is a harder story to tell.

The former divas who have spoken out against the instances of sexual harassment have been punished, up to and including being fired in a demonstration of the power Bill has. When our only female advocate in talent relations tried to speak up, she was removed from the position and sent to work in the office. Now that the conversation has been restarted, it’s been made known that she is no longer with the company. At any level, women who speak up for themselves are disposable. When rumors about their departures make it out, they’re immediately buried and become yesterday’s news, but believe me - it’s true.

One such instance that has been mentioned by Judas Devlin (Austin Matelson) is the complaint of harassment against Matt Wichlinkski, the current Strength and Conditioning coach. I have attached screencaps of one such photo that he posted alongside his WWE contract. When he was caught filming/taking photos of talent’s backsides, it was brought to their attention. Some of the male talent attempted to stick up for the developmental divas and help catch him in the act (again, the fear instilled into us made it very hard to say anything), but when it was presented to Bill it was made very clear that he was not going anywhere, and any further complaints would result in dismissal because there a million girls ready to step in and take our place. In all instances of complaining about sexual harassment (including those outside of this incident), women have been forced out of the company. After one of the talents’ dismissal, when we couldn’t figure out where she went, we were told “if you go over my head, ask HER how well that works.”

This isn’t to specifically go after Wichlinski, but rather to make sure that people understand that Bill DeMott is a problem, and everything else trickles down from there. It’s been made very clear, from the removal Rob McIntyre and to the firing of at least two divas (I won’t name names as theirs is their own story to tell, but if you’ve paid attention to rumors it’s very easy to put two and two together) to numerous male talents, some of whom will not come forward, that if you use your voice against Bill you will be removed. The day after Rob told all of us in a group setting that if we had any concerns about Bill we should call the office, he was fired.

The fact is that anyone who has spoken out, including myself, are only exposing what is the tip of the iceberg. Bill has been guilty of gay-shaming, physical, mental, and racial abuse for far too long, and something needs to come to light. The stories coming out are heartbreaking, but what’s worse is that we all knew about them. Bill would openly mock Judas during training sessions for writing and going above his head, and would encourage other “chosen” talent to do so as well. His patterns of abuse are well established, and I can only hope that more can come forward so people see that this isn’t just a vendetta from “bitter” wrestlers. Bill DeMott is a monster, and we need to start asking why he’s being protected when the evidence has been piling up against him for so long.

Thank you for taking the time to listen to my story. Again, I can only hope this inspires more people to come forward. Hopefully I can provide more information in the future.

https://www.instagram.com/p/fDLkpwPeob/?modal=true

One of the few social media posts still up. Note the still he chose for video.

Wichlinski was more harassment than straight up abuse but people were reportedly fired for speaking up.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I had to give it to Savage in this case. Wichlinski sounds like a pervert who was totally enabled by WWE's toxic culture but Savage almost had his own brand of insanity and cruelty (Macho Madness?).

I'm definitely lumping that Wichlinski post in with all the Demott stuff though when it comes around. What a shithead.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

That bit on Wichliski made me hate DeMott more than anything else.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Went with Savage because he should have been in jail decades ago. gently caress that guy.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I’m gonna go Savage on this one

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Joey McChrist posted:

yeah, the savage/elizabeth stuff is incredibly disturbing and gross. had to go with the trainer though. guy like that probably abused more people than we'll ever know.

Savage probably did too if we’re being honest here

bartok
May 10, 2006

Talking about Bill Watts reminds me is there anything scummy about Jim Ross? I only bring it up because of how J.R. will praise Bill Watts any chance he can. Plus there is plenty of proof he is kinda racist and gets really horny on twitter.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bartok posted:

Talking about Bill Watts reminds me is there anything scummy about Jim Ross? I only bring it up because of how J.R. will praise Bill Watts any chance he can. Plus there is plenty of proof he is kinda racist and gets really horny on twitter.

He basically tells Tony Jones in Beyond the Mat to get on roids if he wants to be signed

He also once asked if such a thing as a "goodlooking oriental" existed during a Great Muta match.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He basically tells Tony Jones in Beyond the Mat to get on roids if he wants to be signed

To be fair, that was probably accurate advice given Vince's preferences

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1200582556296581120?s=19

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Double J got a bad draw here

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Jarrett irritates me whenever he is on-screen, and he is basically a con artist off-screen, but I'm not sure if I can vote for him in this case!

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

voted Double j because he committed a heinous crime MRT failed to mention - removing the full Global Force Gold video from the internet

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I know WHY Benoit won over Heyman but I really think Heyman fit the tournament better as a pick and would’ve made for better debate against later choices

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Intentional or not, if Bruiser Bedlam blew up a police station he's a hero. Voting for JJ.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I would say that but apparently he was trying to blow up a strip club which is not praxis.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

njsykora posted:

I would say that but apparently he was trying to blow up a strip club which is not praxis.

Why the building was a combination strip club police station makes it a gray area.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1200829070877044736

Bix posted this which I didn't know before this tournament:

https://deadspin.com/fbi-records-show-vince-mcmahons-dad-caught-on-tape-brag-1793690848

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 30, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

If it wasn't for the reports of abuse getting leaked to the media the Performance center would still have Demott working there and abusing trainees cause that's what HHH wants. Easily HHH

Also his long epic matches suck and the whole Booker T angle

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

probably not a stretch to speculate on vince sr's potential mob ties.

still, voting for hhh

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Voted for the future of evil, not the past.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

HHH because the dude is in love with abusive systems and is obviously a dude who thinks hazing culture is fine and healthy.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he's bad but there's barely enough to put vincedad in the tournament compared to just about everyone else. at least when it comes to facts

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, Vince the older's biggest crime is probably leaving his family when Vince the younger was very young but there is no real way to quantify just how much of an impact it had on Vince jr. even though it's obvious it is the source of at least some brain worms of his.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
There's also the story that Triple H was allowed to sit in on creative meetings during the Booker angle, while Booker wasn't. If my memory serves they jumped into the deep end with the explicit racism, then did a random u-turn and claimed that Triple H hated WCW GUYS, not black people. Obviously I can't say for certain, but it smacks of Triple H making his presence felt in creative and convincing them that him versus Goldberg was the way to go after Wrestlemania.