Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Der Waffle Mous posted:

conspiracy theory

the what now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Kitchner posted:

Honestly dude I think you're over complicating it.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Like Kitchner said you are overthinking it a touch.

I get what you are saying but disagree a bit. I want to stick to a single faction/army so that there is a common aesthetic amongs my plastic bits. That was my idea when i first posted at least. Now that i have browsed a fair bit more i see that there isn't really that much shared visuals within a faction. Take Thousand Sons Rubik Marines for example. They are very distinctive with their egyptian looking head ornament. The other units in theThousand Sons category that has this are just variations of marines themselves. The rest of the stuff look completely unrelated, e.g. the Hellbrute or Pink Horrors of Tzeench. This is true for all factions (ok i haven't looked at ALL factions) and is kinda offputting to be honest. Its like they designed some cool looking unit first, then decided in which faction to put it.

Kitchner posted:

Don't worry about the colours they are "supposed" to be painted if you don't want to follow the standard schemes, and in terms of support it's highly unlikely your models will ever be discontinued.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Don't worry about paint schemes. Nobody will ever give you poo poo for painting different than the box, the box is just the "canon" example and clever paint jobs are celebrated, even by GW.

Yeah that is exactly my goal, i want to do my own paint schemes. My worry is that in the examples shown there is like a specific list of 33 colors, so if i want to change things up its not just a matter of taking out that blue and putting in a red, but i'd also need the apropriate highlighters and shaders, and that is a lot of info to know to pull off successfully.

Kitchner posted:

The only time this is bad advice is if you want to win tournaments, in which case you need to learn what the meta is and be comfortable with the fact you'll probably end up with like 6 armies or basically selling and re-buying your army once every 6 months or so.
I currently have no plans to play the game so playing tournaments is definitely not on the agenda.

Kitchner posted:

The important thing is you see whether you like it and have fun painting the models, and then if you play the game whether you enjoy playing the game. If the latter isn't so important for you, then just get whatever looks cool and don't worry. Worst case scenario you paint one model/unit and then decide you like some other ones which cannot be used together, at which point you've only "wasted" the cost of one unit, but you've had painting practice.

Ok that makes sense

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 28, 2019

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Kill team seems like it's more my jam, and I definitely have enough models to put together multiples, thanks for the info guys.

While i'm asking dumb noob questions...what exactly is a scrunt?

Scrunts were a beautiful dream, then GW blasted an airhorn and told everyone they didn't exist and never had

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

R0ckfish posted:

I dont see any changes that will really affect anything, it helps a bit I guess. It mostly seems to be on the bad stuff, but I dont think that the changes will make up for the units basic issues.

If other armies are getting similar changes then it does not really mean anything practically.

Agreed. It’s kind of like the last time around where it was a huge change for basically every army. But because everyone got a bunch of point drops it didn’t really impact balance.

Hopefully this time around the point changes are distributed so that the worse off factions get significantly better discounts.

E: or the simpler route would be to nerf the most powerful stuff.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Ineptitude posted:

I get what you are saying but disagree a bit. I want to stick to a single faction/army so that there is a common aesthetic amongs my plastic bits. That was my idea when i first posted at least. Now that i have browsed a fair bit more i see that there isn't really that much shared visuals within a faction. Take Thousand Sons Rubik Marines for example. They are very distinctive with their egyptian looking head ornament. The other units in theThousand Sons category that has this are just variations of marines themselves. The rest of the stuff look completely unrelated, e.g. the Hellbrute or Pink Horrors of Tzeench. This is true for all factions (ok i haven't looked at ALL factions) and is kinda offputting to be honest. Its like they designed some cool looking unit first, then decided in which faction to put it.

Yeah that is exactly my goal, i want to do my own paint schemes. My worry is that in the examples shown there is like a specific list of 33 colors, so if i want to change things up its not just a matter of taking out that blue and putting in a red, but i'd also need the apropriate highlighters and shaders, and that is a lot of info to know to pull off successfully.

Some factions are definitely very specific in terms of their looks Necrons are a particularly strong example, as are the Astra Militarum. They have a very specific look and everything follows it (terminator meets vaguely egyptian and blocky functional military).

Others, like chaos, are well, chaotic. For these things though, don't underestimate how much a paint job and minor conversions of models can really tie the theme together.

The helbrute for example is painted like this by GW in one way on the box, but if you go through several different photos of paint jobs, there is one in blue and gold with a vaguley triangular head:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-WW/Helbrute

Then you have someone else who did this:

https://imgur.com/gallery/WXFJa/comment/1267768925

Not a great photo, but you can see the idea. Applying the same colour pallette and designs to other models can often tie the army together very well. The Helbrute is supposed to be a sort of corrupted dreadnought, so it is supposed to look vaguely space marine like but twisted by chaos, so it won't just look like a scaled up rubric marine.

The daemons though sort of do their own thing, so that's why they look different. They aren't shaped by the rubric marines to look good, they already exist and they are just summoned by them.

In terms of the colour schemes though, really don't limit yourself to what's shown, you don't even need to use GW paints. There are loads of guides online that help you pick complementary colour palettes and stuff, and ultimately if you take your rubric marines and paint them pink and purple, there's only really three types of players:

1) Players who mostly care about the game, in which case they won't care what colour your models are

2) Players who mostly care about the artistic side of the hobby, in which case they will likely think it's cool you've done your own thing

3) Players from the first two categories who think WH40K Lore is basically the Law and if you deviate from it at all you don't "get it" and it's bad.

You ignore everyone in group 3.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
They did also make rubrick terminators way after the fact and are still the only legion that have out of the box specific legion terminators.

All the rest requires non box modifications and it really only made sense for 1k sons.

Wait they did the same for Death Guard huh.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

For_Great_Justice posted:

They did also make rubrick terminators way after the fact and are still the only legion that have out of the box specific legion terminators.

All the rest requires non box modifications and it really only made sense for 1k sons.

Dark Angels have bespoke Terminator kits, too, even if they're not Chaos.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

goose willis posted:

Anvil makes some sick models and bits but for stormtroopers I use these guys:

You can get them on Amazon or wherever else for like 35 dollars and there's 24 dudes in the box and they come with weapon options and the bits are compatible with Games Workshop and third-party bits manufacturers

That plasma gun looks really good, very AdMech Caliver style.

For_Great_Justice posted:

Death Guard get two different legion-specific Terminators. Nurgle likes his bois thicc.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Space wolves also have their own terminators

E: Blood Angels too

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 28, 2019

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
only the blood angels assault termie kit is unique, they use the generic one for normal terminator squads

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Plugging away at these ork boyz, while my son makes fun of their color scheme. I can't wait to wipe his rear end off the board with my bright boyz. I plan to get around to basing them later, I just splashed some green on there to cover up the white primer.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 28, 2019

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
As a Tyranid player, Kill Team is looking mighty appealing right now. It's great marketing.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Just saw another Tyranid stratagem leak: 2CP at the start of the enemy psychic phase, any unit that fails a psychic test within 12” of any Synapse unit takes d3 mortal wounds. Seems neat but there aren’t too many other psyker-heavy armies that don’t have good buffs to offset the shadow.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

These look like 80s happy meal toys in the best possible way, I love them.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

PierreTheMime posted:

Just saw another Tyranid stratagem leak: 2CP at the start of the enemy psychic phase, any unit that fails a psychic test within 12” of any Synapse unit takes d3 mortal wounds. Seems neat but there aren’t too many other psyker-heavy armies that don’t have good buffs to offset the shadow.

I like this one. At renegade open over the weekend I had shadow in the warp make a difference way more than I thought it would. This strategem is the only thing that would have actually improved my list.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

PierreTheMime posted:

Seems expensive at 2CP unless there are some more psychic test debuffs hiding elsewhere. It would stack well with the current Kronos stratagem & warlord trait at least.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

xtothez posted:

Seems expensive at 2CP unless there are some more psychic test debuffs hiding elsewhere. It would stack well with the current Kronos stratagem & warlord trait at least.

Possibly too expensive, but nids are capable of running brigades and it might be well worth it on occasion.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Wolf Guard and Deathwing have their own bespoke Terminator kits with their own special rules.

Blood Angels Terminators are pretty much just codex Terminators with the assault squad getting unique iconography and the option to build an ancient.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Wolf Guard and Deathwing have their own bespoke Terminator kits with their own special rules.

Blood Angels Terminators are pretty much just codex Terminators with the assault squad getting unique iconography and the option to build an ancient.

Blood Angels have always struck me as the more "normal" non codex marines which is saying something.

You know until they become megavampires

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

JBP posted:

Blood Angels have always struck me as the more "normal" non codex marines which is saying something.

You know until they become megavampires

I mean that was kinda their thing before the 4e codex went all blood blood blood.

pretty much codex compliant aside from the 1/6 chance of going insane and being thrown into the death company.

and I guess super special scout squads?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Dregs posted:

Plugging away at these ork boyz, while my son makes fun of their color scheme. I can't wait to wipe his rear end off the board with my bright boyz. I plan to get around to basing them later, I just splashed some green on there to cover up the white primer.

The brighter the blue, the more the luck. Truth.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Anybody know of good Black Friday sales? Or an online USA vendor that has good deals generally?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Played a game with my 40.1k theme wolves today. I've got to admit that blood claws and terminators are really good. Like they die easily, but they absolutely loving wail with the extra attacks and stuff. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with their new stuff. Thunder hammers with no negatives are golden. I took fifteen terminators in two squads and as leaders and they absolutely wrecked poo poo with bolter discipline and their extra attack. Like you need to think more than my Primaris army does but the tricks you can pull with sw strats and a good core of bodies and long fangs is pretty good imo.

I lost by five points.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

JBP posted:

Played a game with my 40.1k theme wolves today. I've got to admit that blood claws and terminators are really good. Like they die easily, but they absolutely loving wail with the extra attacks and stuff. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with their new stuff. Thunder hammers with no negatives are golden. I took fifteen terminators in two squads and as leaders and they absolutely wrecked poo poo with bolter discipline and their extra attack. Like you need to think more than my Primaris army does but the tricks you can pull with sw strats and a good core of bodies and long fangs is pretty good imo.

I lost by five points.

I read that as 401k and immediately imagined them dressed as bankers and screaming have you met your contribution this year as a battlecry.

:suicide:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
:pcgaming: Fffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck :pcgaming:

30k only

:pcgaming:

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
With the Black Friday sales at a local shop i bought a Start Collecting Thousand Sons pack as well as a Noise Marine and a Daemon Prince as the Goonhammer 1k Sons list had a lot of positive things to say about this one (well specifically Daemon Prince of Tzeentch, i assume the one i linked is the same one)

Now for the huge task of navigating in the land of paint selection and knowing what to get there...

The same store has Citadel, Vallejo and Army Paint.
From what i can gather Vallejo is the "best", they have dropper bottles, they are larger than Citadel, they have good color consistency and paint viscosity and they have a huge color selection.

If i have a color scheme in mind how do i know which paints to get?
Say i want the main armor color to be yellow, i'd need a deep yellow for the main color, a slightly brighter yellow for highlights and an even brighter one for edge highlights, then a wash for contours?

I've been watching plenty of miniature painting videos. The GW ones are interesting since their painters are so drat good but the whole video is basically "ok we take paint x and paint here, then paint y and paint here" etc, little to no explanations as to WHY, and no explanations on how to improvise.

Other videos have touched on general tips like removing mold lines, doing the "white primer from the top" technique, etc but also nothing on how to select your own colors.

(Should i take paint talk to the paint thread?)

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Nov 29, 2019

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Taking your yellow for example, no you don't need to buy 4 different shades/tints of yellow. You can get a nice strong yellow for the base, and then use a little brown or some other dark color along with lots of water to make a wash for the dark tones. For highlights, you can add a drop or two of white to your yellow, and then do the final highlights using a mix that is primarily white with a little yellow. Or maybe even pure white. I tend to buy all my primary colors (red, blue, yellow, black, white, brown, metallic), then the major colors of whatever I am painting do I don't have to mix them.

I like Vallejo. I have some sitting here that is ten years old and still works great. Nothing wrong with GW stuff other than it costs way too much, like everything else they sell. I also use lots of Tamiya.

I won't get too deep into it here because I also, am not sure if this is better in the painting thread, and there are far better painters around here than me anyway.

Here is an easy beginner guide on painting yellow.
https://www.thearmypainter.com/painting-guides-presentation.php?GalleryId=181&Gallery=Yellow%20Sci-Fi%20Marine&page=1

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Nov 29, 2019

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Yeah essentially if you use the GW paints the biggest advantage is the fact the paint tones match what is in the pictures of the models straight away pretty much. The downside is it's expensive and they use pots so if you don't want a pot you're poo poo outta luck.

Frankly though if I picked 5 players and gave them a Thousands Sons model and said "paint this as a thousands sons marine" and walked off, they would all look slightly different when you come back anyway. So unless you're trying to copy a specific theme, just use the colours that look good, and focus on what technique you are using. For example most GW tutorials are: Undercoat, base coat, shade paint, layer paint, edge highlight 1, edge highlight 2. So for blue you pick a mid tone, a dark wash, a the blue you actually want as a layer, then a lighter blue for the edge highlights, and then an even lighter blue for the really sharp/high edges.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I just use super cheap art store acrylics (like less than a dollar a bottle) and have never had a problem because I just paint the colors inside my head

Also Krylon Fusion instead of official primer because gently caress paying $20 when I can just pay $3 for a can of loving spray paint lmfao

Plus these for clipping sprues https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IBOOWQ/

loving lol @ the people who buy Official Citadel Branded Hobby Supplies (The Finest In The World)

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

goose willis posted:

I just use super cheap art store acrylics (like less than a dollar a bottle) and have never had a problem because I just paint the colors inside my head

Also Krylon Fusion instead of official primer because gently caress paying $20 when I can just pay $3 for a can of loving spray paint lmfao

Plus these for clipping sprues https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IBOOWQ/

loving lol @ the people who buy Official Citadel Branded Hobby Supplies (The Finest In The World)

Yeah cheap primer is fine. I use Walmart stuff. I really like their plastic color+primer for some things when I plan to cover most of a model in, for example, green. Dollar acrylics are really bad, though, don't use them! The pigments are just too sparse and if you thin them enough to not obscure detail, you run the risk of breaking them.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I paint giant horde armies so the dollar acrylics are good enough for my purposes but there are still cheaper Fancy Paint alternatives to Citadel stuff

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Paint with whatever works for you. Don't shame people for using what they like.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Dropper bottles are so loving useful tho, just saying

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

goose willis posted:

Not gonna lie, Citadel mold line remover is the finest in the world :colbert:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

goose willis posted:

Do you get off on being a dick or is it just inherit to your personality

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?
Found out on Facebook about a local store I’d never heard of offering 50% off today for all GW products, and it turned out to be for real

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

DotyManX posted:

Found out on Facebook about a local store I’d never heard of offering 50% off today for all GW products, and it turned out to be for real

Jesus, 25% is best I've seen anywhere up here in Canuckistan.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

goose willis posted:

God drat you're insufferable.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Re: Citadel stuff that is indeed worth it, I'm also a true believer in Contrasts. I'm an absolute loving painting dipshit who's never been able to get good results with anything, doesn't understand the layering process, etc and I can just slather that poo poo basically in the right places, wick it into the crevices, wash it, and have a table-ready model I'm proud of compared to my normal efforts or grey plastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Paint with whatever works for you. Don't shame people for using what they like.

I wasn't trying to shame him. Sorry if I came off that way. I've just seen lots of minis ruined by craft paints and I have done it myself.

Honestly, if you're managing to paint with craft paints, post some pics. I aint too proud to admit I am wrong.