Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

Is DQ XI relatively short? I just have 1 more Orb to get but I was half expecting it to be like VII where you do all this stuff at the beginning and then the game actually starts and there's another 100 hours. But it doesn't look like that's the case? howlongtobeat says it's 50-something hours for the main quest.
I'm nearly at this point as well but I feel like there's a surprise coming. There are a bunch of locked skill trees lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Why... why didn't they do this with Dora

Didn't they? I heard that was one of the first ones to get rebalanced to 2 attacks per turn on harder monsters mode for the switch.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah if you are wondering how far along you are in DQ11, the percentage of your skill tree you have unlocked is a good estimate

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Didn't they? I heard that was one of the first ones to get rebalanced to 2 attacks per turn on harder monsters mode for the switch.
I'm playing on harder monsters and she definitely goes berserk and hits three times... sometimes? It's a bit weird. I only beat her because when she gets fed up and starts deleting people in one hit she focused on hero, so one person could res him while another attacked and another buffed

Barudak
May 7, 2007

People in DQ11 thread seemed very confident that on switch with harder monsters Dora is still locked to 2 turns.

irlZaphod posted:

Is DQ XI relatively short? I just have 1 more Orb to get but I was half expecting it to be like VII where you do all this stuff at the beginning and then the game actually starts and there's another 100 hours. But it doesn't look like that's the case? howlongtobeat says it's 50-something hours for the main quest.

You're about 1/2 the way into the games main story and 1/3rd through if you do the games optional post credits third act. How long to beat is based only on beating act 1+2 iirc. Note that despite the 3rd act being completely optional without playing it most of the games story will feel odd because the game only gives you like actual story lore at that point.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jet Jaguar posted:

OK this dancing boss in Phenom Nomh is annoying as hell. "Sure, let's give him three turns in a row, including the ability to summon infinite henchmen. Oh and he can force the entire team to dance for multiple turns."

This is the worst boss I've fought so far.

Snap, Crackle, Poof is a godsend for basically every boss at that point.

Bounce as well, if they cast magic.

Mogki
Aug 2, 2016

RareAcumen posted:

Snap, Crackle, Poof is a godsend for basically every boss at that point.

Bounce as well, if they cast magic.

If you're using Sylvando, Sobering Slap can help a lot with Dora as well.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just crafted angels sandals or whatever accessory have you a better chance to resist status ailments and hoped for the best

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

They did, she only has two attacks in the switch version. It's possible she has some low % chance to get a third each round or something and I just never saw it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mogki posted:

If you're using Sylvando, Sobering Slap can help a lot with Dora as well.

It literally did nothing for me in that fight. Is there something you need to do to get it to work or some sort of accessory that prevents it from working?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Barudak posted:

People in DQ11 thread seemed very confident that on switch with harder monsters Dora is still locked to 2 turns.

There's a DQ11 thread? This whole time I thought this was just it as far as Dragon Quest on this website.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

There's a DQ11 thread? This whole time I thought this was just it as far as Dragon Quest on this website.

There was... for PS4.

I forgot where I was for a hot second.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Barudak posted:

It literally did nothing for me in that fight. Is there something you need to do to get it to work or some sort of accessory that prevents it from working?

I'm pretty sure it stops everything she can effect on people doesn't it? If I remember right she mostly goes for Confusion, Paralyzing and Beguilement/Mind Control

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Azathoth256 posted:

They did, she only has two attacks in the switch version. It's possible she has some low % chance to get a third each round or something and I just never saw it.
Lmao she just fuckin hated me I guess. I got tentacled, flicked and charmed without any turns for me in between. I'm not 100% on how the game calculates "rounds" though, maybe I got unlucky and she moved at the end of one round and the start of the next?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I am not sure I fought this boss but I thought I fought them all. Where is Dora in the story?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

DQ11 - is there anything that indicates how much I should be leveling at any point? I’m now in galipolis (sp?) around level 14ish and started finding metal slimes should I farm them?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I'm pretty sure it stops everything she can effect on people doesn't it? If I remember right she mostly goes for Confusion, Paralyzing and Beguilement/Mind Control

It would not remove status effects at all is why I asked. I never even tried using the skill after that since it didn't work there.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I am not sure I fought this boss but I thought I fought them all. Where is Dora in the story?

It's the mandatory story boss the first time through Phnom Nonh.

Avalerion posted:

DQ11 - is there anything that indicates how much I should be leveling at any point? I’m now in galipolis (sp?) around level 14ish and started finding metal slimes should I farm them?

You don't need to farm them, but you may want to gain a level or two before the next boss depending on your difficulty. It's the first real stumbling block people run into.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Barudak posted:

It would not remove status effects at all is why I asked. I never even tried using the skill after that since it didn't work there.

Was she charming you or beguiling you? There is a difference and Slap doesn’t work on the former. I’m trying to remember what all she uses because she has a bunch of different status ailment attacks.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Avalerion posted:

You can’t really reliably farm metal slimes in a way that matters until you have a few more party members - in general, don’t worry about level grinding unless you’re getting your rear end kicked. I found that just being a completionist and doing stuff like quests that require I kill a rare monster and getting all the loot meant I always felt slightly over levelled until right near the very end, and at that point, you have the tools to farm metals on demand and get triple XP for it and get to 99 much more quickly.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Was she charming you or beguiling you? There is a difference and Slap doesn’t work on the former. I’m trying to remember what all she uses because she has a bunch of different status ailment attacks.

Its been long enough Im gonna assume its that I was charmed and it doesnt work on charmed. She was by far the hardest boss in the game for me.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It's the mandatory story boss the first time through Phnom Nonh.

You don't need to farm them, but you may want to gain a level or two before the next boss depending on your difficulty. It's the first real stumbling block people run into.

I think I was just overleveled for that fight because I played through a decent chunk of the game again in 2d mode to see the differences

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Lmao she just fuckin hated me I guess. I got tentacled, flicked and charmed without any turns for me in between. I'm not 100% on how the game calculates "rounds" though, maybe I got unlucky and she moved at the end of one round and the start of the next?

Oh right, it's possible the turn order screwed you over like that. Or all of the characters who would have gone before her the second round were already charmed or dead. She can still be pretty nasty even with only two actions.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
My biggest complaint about DQXI is that it does an absolutely piss poor job explaining and distinguishing between status ailments. And there are like a hundred of them. I just beat the fifth trial at angri la and I still don't know what purple mist does off the top of my head, or what being danced at inflicts, etc.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Barudak posted:

There was... for PS4.

I forgot where I was for a hot second.

You've confused me too now, gimme a link if yo remember where you were

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Barudak posted:

Its been long enough Im gonna assume its that I was charmed and it doesnt work on charmed. She was by far the hardest boss in the game for me.

Yeah, I think the only thing that fights off getting charmed is having your own party wearing high charm gear. At that point in the game it’s kind of hard to find and most people never really realize what it does either.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I kinda had to brute force through the more frustrating fights. Whenever I'd plan on using someone's ability to counter the boss's strategy, that character would instantly get targeted, killing my strategy. Or I'd get some charm to nullify an attack and have a "the goggles they do nothing" moment.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Papercut posted:

My biggest complaint about DQXI is that it does an absolutely piss poor job explaining and distinguishing between status ailments. And there are like a hundred of them. I just beat the fifth trial at angri la and I still don't know what purple mist does off the top of my head, or what being danced at inflicts, etc.

Yeah, I didn't keep track of stuff very well either. I just had to use the party status menu to keep track of what was happening when I wasn't buffing them.

Dancing can do three things, as far as I'm aware, steal MP, make you start dancing, or make people start laughing. The last two are basically the same thing though, you just end up losing a turn.

Barudak posted:

Also Sylvando can slap people to get out of charm so making sure that he can't get charmed sounds like a decent enough starting point for handling that fight. Is there a tier to charm like the poisons? I thought it was only the one.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Like I said earlier, Slap doesn’t break Charmed (which is basically another Lose a Turn), but it does break Beguiliment (which is basically Mind Control). I’m pretty sure Dora likes to use both a lot which is why this can be confusing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Like I said earlier, Slap doesn’t break Charmed (which is basically another Lose a Turn), but it does break Beguiliment (which is basically Mind Control). I’m pretty sure Dora likes to use both a lot which is why this can be confusing.

I also didn't realize that there was a distinction between them. I thought they both made you attack your allies but just lost a turn.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
The key is to pay attention to the icon next to the character's info. If it's a red x, then it's a missed turn effect. A lot of status effects which seem like different things are actually just generic "miss next 1-3 turns" effects. If it's a pink heart, they're beguiled instead, and sylvando can slap them out of it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

One time I swear the hero feel asleep for 20 God drat turns in a row

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Azathoth256 posted:

The key is to pay attention to the icon next to the character's info. If it's a red x, then it's a missed turn effect. A lot of status effects which seem like different things are actually just generic "miss next 1-3 turns" effects. If it's a pink heart, they're beguiled instead, and sylvando can slap them out of it.

And it should be noted that anything with a Red X means it gets resisted by accessories that say “resistance to Skip a Turn effects”

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Is there any reason to choose the SFC versions of DQ1-3 over the Switch/mobile versions? Or does it just boil down to aesthetics?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

BisterdDave posted:

Is there any reason to choose the SFC versions of DQ1-3 over the Switch/mobile versions? Or does it just boil down to aesthetics?

Aesthetically nah, but it is worth noting that the mobile version of 3 lost the Tricks and Trapdoor boards (kind of a shame, if was a fun enough diversion in V) and there are no animated monster sprites. Otherwise it really boils down to what kind of translation you want; 3’s is more conventional but 1/2 keep the Olde English from the NES versions which is pretty great

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

frustratingly there's typically no way to stop "miss a turn" effects, which is why you see The Almighty doing the underpants dance at you in DQVII

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 27, 2019

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I completely spaced on DQ Builders 2 being out. How is it? Specifically, did they fix any of the gripey parts of the first game, like literally all of chapter 4?

The PC version is coming out on my birthday :shobon:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 29, 2019

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Been playing DQ1 for the first time, and holy poo poo talk about "Grind - The Game"! It seems like >50% of the game is grinding. Are 2 and 3 the same?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

BisterdDave posted:

Been playing DQ1 for the first time, and holy poo poo talk about "Grind - The Game"! It seems like >50% of the game is grinding. Are 2 and 3 the same?

2 kind of is. 3 is not, and to me that's the game where the series finally became itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

BisterdDave posted:

As a kid at least, the grind made me feel really proud when I became strong enough to reach a new town.

2 and 3 are grindy, but not to the same level. 3 is legitimately enjoyable on its own merits still.