Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i hosed her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Mr. Lobe posted:

greenwald is gay and also it's a good article

so what im gay for amber

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Groovelord Neato posted:

Matt's right about Baby Yoda's board room creation

The crazy thing is, it might not be. According to all accounts, Rise of Skywalker is a loving mess, and it's all hands on deck at the Star Wars part of Disney desperately trying to fix it. If Mandalorian is good, which people say it is but I kinda doubt, It's probably because there was nobody minding the store and they accidentally let some weird sci-fi Lone Wolf and Cub thing slip out

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I want to say that I'm surprised that there's been zero backlash to baby Yoda like there was with Porgs and Ewoks, but I'm not. We've been conditioned to consume product and then get excited for next product, especially if it's from Disney.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Disney has Kathleen Kennedy and JJ Abrams as ‘the people in charge’ of the SW films

Meanwhile as far as I know Disney gave Jon Favreau a good amount of control over The Mandalorian

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

get that OUT of my face posted:

I want to say that I'm surprised that there's been zero backlash to baby Yoda like there was with Porgs and Ewoks, but I'm not. We've been conditioned to consume product and then get excited for next product, especially if it's from Disney.

I mean, the other side there is the idea that there's 'backlash' to cute things that have no meaning other than 'aw, cute' is absolutely bonkers. Like it's fine to not like them but the idea of being 'mad' about them is way creepier than the deluge of 'SMOL GREEN BEAN UWU' poo poo

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I think Baby Yoda is cute even though I understand exactly why they put him in. The last good Star Wars came out right before I was born so I can't be too upset about this trash.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Groovelord Neato posted:

I think Baby Yoda is cute even though I understand exactly why they put him in. The last good Star Wars came out right before I was born so I can't be too upset about this trash.

yea baby yoda is cute if pointless, like all stars wars, so who am I to judge

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

T-man posted:

so what im gay for amber

then I suppose you are eligible for

"She's not gonna gently caress you etc etc"

if you're into that kind of thing

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

baby yoda is cute and my girlfriend wants one for xmas so v0v

virgil has a porg which is way less cute and from a much worse star wars property

i spent waaaay more time playing a powertech tank mando in swtor than i care to admit which might explain why i enjoy the mandalorian so much though the show works and confirms what everyone thought a long time ago, the criminal underbelly of star wars provides much better original story telling than rehashing the original trilogy with new actors

Percelus fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 29, 2019

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

The Muppets On PCP posted:

she referenced steinbeck's temporarily embarrassed millionaires line using the common misinterpretation which given her area of study she of all people should know better

cancelled, utterly cancelled

Steinbeck didn't say this

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

They probably would have had a lot more backlash if they had lined store shelves with Baby Yoda tchotchkes. I guess the official explanation is the they wanted to keep it a secret, but whatever the reason is, it helped.

Either way gently caress baby yoda. Daigoro 4 Lyfe

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Lobe posted:

greenwald is gay
*Stav cackle*

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Mr. Lobe posted:

then I suppose you are eligible for

"She's not gonna gently caress you etc etc"

if you're into that kind of thing

<nixon voice> i am not a cuck!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

nickel and dimed was assigned reading for my high school civics class, i believe. being a 10th grade depressed shithead, i remember being like "she's dipping into savings, that's cheating!" and doing my best fishmech impersonation despite it being 2 or 3 years before either fishmech ( :rip: ) or i signed up for SA. that said, i do recognize that my attitude at the time was that of a contrarian shithead, but i also do remember it being a ridiculously easy to read book that was engaging.

nickel and dimed: read it!

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

FlamingLiberal posted:

Disney has Kathleen Kennedy and JJ Abrams as ‘the people in charge’ of the SW films

Meanwhile as far as I know Disney gave Jon Favreau a good amount of control over The Mandalorian

Favreau and Dave Filoni, who's spent the past decade making really good Star Wars stuff in the form of The Clone Wars and Rebels.

I dunno, critiquing Star Wars as, "Ugh, they're just making it to SELL TOYS" has always been a pretty boring and substance-less take. Especially in this case, when they kept Baby Yoda completely under wraps until the show premiered and haven't really had any merch ready to go once everyone found out about it. If they created it solely for merchandising purposes, they kinda hosed that up.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I want a Baby Yoda with suction cup hands to stick in my rear window goddammit.

Oh I forgot Matt was right about how stupid the baby being 50 is. 50 for a yoda would be about 5 years old for a human if we were doing a 1:1 comparison.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I wanna see baby yoda fight the Darth maul with robot legs from solo

Who would win? Watch my 7 hour youtube video about this to find out

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

I wanna see baby yoda fight the Darth maul with robot legs from solo

I do remember a coworker showing me the latter from one of the cartoon shows (as I didn't believe him) and dying a little inside. It was just funny in Solo.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Other things I would like to see baby yoda fight:

-the lady yoda from the prequels (his mom??!!!)

-darth maul's brother named "savage oppress"

-that ghoulish cgi tarkin from rogue one with dead eyes

-an evil luke skywalker with a red lightsaber from one of the hundreds of novels or comic books where this probably happened

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean the man did create the MCU out of nothing, I'd give him control over everything

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

I'm not watching the show is the baby yoda force sensitive is that why they want it dead or whatever

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

slicing up eyeballs posted:

I'm not watching the show is the baby yoda force sensitive is that why they want it dead or whatever

Yeah he uses the force to stop a rhino from charging the Mandelbrot it's super dumb.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Wow way to perpetuate the racist stereotype that every yoda is a jedi master, favreau

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

slicing up eyeballs posted:

Wow way to perpetuate the racist stereotype that every yoda is a jedi master, favreau

According to the expanded universe Mace Windu comes from a planet of force-sensitive jungle dwelling black people.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I

freaking

love

STAR WARS

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah he uses the force to stop a rhino from charging the Mandelbrot it's super dumb.

SHE :colbert:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

baby yoda is trans now, sorry

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

In my headcanon all Star Wars aliens are genderless like in the Culture. We're the outlier.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Matt is right but also the mandalorian is pretty good

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

terrorist ambulance posted:

Matt is right but also the mandalorian is pretty good

I haven't listened to the episode yet so I don't know his exact criticisms, but I don't think Matt likes any TV show other than The Simpsons.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Dave Filoni was behind the most successful star wars tv show ever and also the ones which were just alright. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave him and Favreau a lot of room to do whatever with mando and not micromanage it while the disney executives just fight over who gets to gently caress with the movie instead

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
have you ever just wanted to

punch your computer screen?

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1192151774074933248

:bang:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Race Realists posted:

have you ever just wanted to

punch your computer screen?

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1192151774074933248

:bang:
That ratio is way too tame

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Matt is absolutely right that these guys are theatrically screaming 'oh no, not Elizabeth Warren!!' to take the spotlight off of Bernie

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I mean the man did create the MCU out of nothing, I'd give him control over everything

He made the MCU in a CAVE! WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

multijoe posted:

Matt is absolutely right that these guys are theatrically screaming 'oh no, not Elizabeth Warren!!' to take the spotlight off of Bernie

Yeah it's obvious when Sanders would take a lot more of their money and said they shouldn't exist when Warren wanted to sit down and chat with Gates after he whined about only having 9 billion left over.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

multijoe posted:

Contrarian Corner: this is actually good, it lets Bernie organize his ground game to the working class without media attention which will obviously always be at best hostile at worst straight up lie about him. The Bern is in stealth mode, hiding his lefty power level, as all good lefties should. Warren has the same sort of base as Clinton, and I think sufficient organizing far outweighs media panic / faux-Trump attention grabbing for Warren.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I think its deliberate in some cases, and in others is just because they regard him at best as basically Ralph Nader. They think a horse could be president before Bernie. They dont criticize him because in a way they dont even see him

They'd be scared of him if their own ideological commitments didnt entirely blind them to his huge popularity and the real chance he could win. They'll get more serious about opposition as he gets closer to the nom. Same as obama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
In other news, Nate is forced to deal with someone who has correct opinions and literally. Cant. EVEN.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1200215889452290048?s=19

I really wish they'd do an ep on how loving dogshit he is and particularly his dumbass podcast