Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gewehr 43 posted:

The Swamp Ghost is finally finished!

That looks amazing, how did you accomplish the mottled effect on the basecoat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Granite Octopus posted:

Finished the Bandai x-wing. I’m happy with it for my first non-car model. Weathering it was a lot of fun. The decals were a huge pain though, found it very difficult to get them to conform without tearing or breaking. Thankfully the kit comes with a spare canopy decal but it’s still pretty bad.

Hell yeah

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Granite Octopus posted:

Finished the Bandai x-wing. I’m happy with it for my first non-car model. Weathering it was a lot of fun. The decals were a huge pain though, found it very difficult to get them to conform without tearing or breaking. Thankfully the kit comes with a spare canopy decal but it’s still pretty bad.

I love those bandai star wars kitsch so much.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Started tucking into the Star Destroyer addon detailing kit while I wait for the main kit to arrive. Man, I think I've got myself into another PE nightmare.

Pictured, supports for the shield domes on top of the bridge, with thumbtack for size comparison. Each of those little supports was an individual piece, bent and then glued to the base. Thankfully I still have the Rokket Card Glue, which is so much better than trying to do this CA. :suicide:

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Phi230 posted:

That looks amazing, how did you accomplish the mottled effect on the basecoat?

Thank you. More or less let my twitchy hands do their thing. Spray from about 2-3" at 15psi moving in small, uneven, circles and random patterns. I did a second coat of each base coat lightened with white applied in the same fashion. The point is to make the coats uneven and allow the black to show through a bit.

SkunkDuster posted:

That turned out really great! The decals and stencil work on the roundels looks fantastic. Do you have a step-by-step on how you did the wood grained parts? I've tried doing wood grain with oils but it always turns into a nondescript smudgy brown.

Thank you! This is the method I used. https://www.agapemodels.com/2009/09/23/simulating-wood-grain/ The trick I think is not to overwork the oils. I laid down the base acrylic coat, put on a heavy layer of oils, then ran a large, flat brush across the surface like 2-3 times at most. If it doesn't look like wood grain by then, it probably won't.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Started tucking into the Star Destroyer addon detailing kit while I wait for the main kit to arrive. Man, I think I've got myself into another PE nightmare.

Pictured, supports for the shield domes on top of the bridge, with thumbtack for size comparison. Each of those little supports was an individual piece, bent and then glued to the base. Thankfully I still have the Rokket Card Glue, which is so much better than trying to do this CA. :suicide:

Don't make it and just say an A-Wing rammed into it.

Gewehr 43 posted:

I laid down the base acrylic coat, put on a heavy layer of oils, then ran a large, flat brush across the surface like 2-3 times at most. If it doesn't look like wood grain by then, it probably won't.

I also use this same technique. I've found that a Grainer brush is really useful for uh, graining.

https://www.dickblick.com/products/princeton-select-series-3750-synthetic-grainer-brushes/

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Symetrique posted:

Don't make it and just say an A-Wing rammed into it.

There are actually a fair amount of aftermarket addons for the Zvezda/Revell 1:2700 Star Destroyer, so you can make whichever variant/scene you want.

You can get Millenium Falcons, to attach to the rear of the bridge. Or Blockade Runners to add into the hangar bay. Destroyed shield domes for the A-Wing you mentioned. Hell, you can even get that hammerhead ship that rammed the star destroyer in Rogue One if you want to make that variant.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
What's the detail on the Hammerhead like? I am fond of that ship line and would like to have some of them.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Pretty basic from what I've seen. Most of the aftermarket ships are just 3D printed stuff from Shapeways, because of the odd scale.

Here's one attached to Randy Coopers amazing 1:1500 scale Star Destroyer. You can see at almost double the size of the scale that would go with the Star Destroyer I'm doing, the detail still isn't fantastic.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

There are actually a fair amount of aftermarket addons for the Zvezda/Revell 1:2700 Star Destroyer, so you can make whichever variant/scene you want.

You can get Millenium Falcons, to attach to the rear of the bridge. Or Blockade Runners to add into the hangar bay. Destroyed shield domes for the A-Wing you mentioned. Hell, you can even get that hammerhead ship that rammed the star destroyer in Rogue One if you want to make that variant.

I would love to like make a little rogue one diorama with those tiny bandai star destroyers. Maybe encase it in resin so you could have the debris floating through the resin. I have no idea how I'd do that though so eh

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Does anybody know who makes those water slide decals that have a thin plastic top sheet that peels off after you apply the decal? I think I've seen Plasmo use them in his videos.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Symetrique posted:

I would love to like make a little rogue one diorama with those tiny bandai star destroyers. Maybe encase it in resin so you could have the debris floating through the resin. I have no idea how I'd do that though so eh

Pour the resin in layers. Each layer you mix in debris, use a little stick to move stuff around in the resin to pose it. For your Star Destroyers, hang them from string in the correct pose. Once you have a few layers of resin around them, that'll hold them in place and you can remove the strings to do final pours.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Pretty basic from what I've seen. Most of the aftermarket ships are just 3D printed stuff from Shapeways, because of the odd scale.

Here's one attached to Randy Coopers amazing 1:1500 scale Star Destroyer. You can see at almost double the size of the scale that would go with the Star Destroyer I'm doing, the detail still isn't fantastic.

Shapeways is ridiculously expensive for what you get alright, and not being able to handle the stuff beforehand makes me very wary of it after I bought some bits for various Transfomers and found them to be ungood.

Symetrique posted:

Very careful layering?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Pour the resin in layers. Each layer you mix in debris, use a little stick to move stuff around in the resin to pose it. For your Star Destroyers, hang them from string in the correct pose. Once you have a few layers of resin around them, that'll hold them in place and you can remove the strings to do final pours.

Yeah figured it would be something like that. Maybe something to try next year.

SkunkDuster posted:

Does anybody know who makes those water slide decals that have a thin plastic top sheet that peels off after you apply the decal? I think I've seen Plasmo use them in his videos.

https://hgwmodels.cz/en/content/18-wet-transfers

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

SkunkDuster posted:

Archer fine transfers maybe?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Granite Octopus posted:

Looking good. This looks like the standard kit, not the Rogue One repack. Out of curiosity, mow many pieces were the red stripes along the forward fuselage? The R1 version used about fifteen tiny bastard pieces for color separation, and overall it was the Bandai kit I’ve liked the least. Kinda wondering if the regular version is less of a pain.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

That is certainly the type of decal I was thinking of, but I don't see any numbers or roundels on their site. Mostly woodgrain and biplane stuff. Anybody know where to get decals like that of numbers, letters, roundels, etc.?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Yeah their website isn't great. Depending on what kit you're working on, they might have a set that includes numbers and markings. They don't offer generic roundels and numbers though.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

grassy gnoll posted:

Looking good. This looks like the standard kit, not the Rogue One repack. Out of curiosity, mow many pieces were the red stripes along the forward fuselage? The R1 version used about fifteen tiny bastard pieces for color separation, and overall it was the Bandai kit I’ve liked the least. Kinda wondering if the regular version is less of a pain.

Thanks! and yeah it's the standard one (0191406 - mine lists 2017 on the box). There were maybe only 4-6 red pieces? I painted over the whole thing though, and the red you actually see is the decals. The red parts were easy to fit too.

Overall I really liked the kit, heaps of detail and very easy to put together. The way the instructions were laid out was kind of annoying, but that's a minor complaint.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

SkunkDuster posted:

That is certainly the type of decal I was thinking of, but I don't see any numbers or roundels on their site. Mostly woodgrain and biplane stuff. Anybody know where to get decals like that of numbers, letters, roundels, etc.?

Look again, they have hundreds of that type of stuff.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Good service too. If you are not satisfied for any reason you can return it or get a replacement.

In other news; my Universal Carrier is coming along nicely! I was afraid the base color I put on it was a bit too light, but it's turning out alright after some washes.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Look again, they have hundreds of that type of stuff.

Thanks for the kick in the butt. I was looking under "decals" before, but I looked again and found them under wet transfers.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Molentik posted:

Good service too. If you are not satisfied for any reason you can return it or get a replacement.

In other news; my Universal Carrier is coming along nicely! I was afraid the base color I put on it was a bit too light, but it's turning out alright after some washes.

Looks great, which kit is this?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
For those of you wondering where I would display the B-17, it ended up hanging from the ceiling in my son's room.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Anybody have any experience with Vallejo Plastic Putty? I tried it on my latest model and it doesn't seem to be filling gaps. It looked smooth, and felt smooth before I primed after heavy sanding but immediately after putting primer on, its absolutely noticeable.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I haven't used that particular brand, though I've used similar types of putty. A trick I like is to use a toothpick (preferably with the tip sharpened with a knife) and run it across the surface where the putty meets the model. A lot of times, you can't see a bump (especially when the putty is a different color from the plastic), but you can feel it.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Gewehr 43 posted:

For those of you wondering where I would display the B-17, it ended up hanging from the ceiling in my son's room.

Hot drat dude. You did a great job, coolest dad.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Thanks. He's 8 and a total airplane nut - go figure - so he was super jazzed. In a few years when he outgrows it, I'll hang it from the ceiling in my model room. :)

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Fulfill your destiny.

Make the 1:1 groverplane.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Phi230 posted:

Anybody have any experience with Vallejo Plastic Putty? I tried it on my latest model and it doesn't seem to be filling gaps. It looked smooth, and felt smooth before I primed after heavy sanding but immediately after putting primer on, its absolutely noticeable.
If you are gap filling then over-fill until it is obvious and sand back. Prime and re-sand until happy TBH.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So I found the problem: Vallejo putty shrinks as it dries, and you're really not supposed to sand it too much either

I'm gonna try tamiya

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Water based putties tend to shrink a fair amount. Solvent based ones like the Tamiya white and grey also shrink some, but are easier to wet sand, adhere better to the plastic, feather out at the edges better, and are easier to do fill over if they shrink too much.

The gray is much thicker than the white, and best used for larger fills. The white is more of a finishing surfacer.

I find water based putties to be best for things like joints between parts where there is detail nearby. A line of putty in a wing to fuselage joint can be cleaned up pretty easily with a swipe from a wet paper towel. That way you dont need to sand, which can damage surface detail nearby. Any shrinkage will fall on a natural joint line, so unless the gap was huge will look more like a panel line.

You can do the same with solvent putties, but you need to use a solvent when you clean up the joint.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Picked up an adjustable c-clamp lamp from ikea now I have more than like 2 hours of workable light a day, its magic! Did up the cockpit for the Su-33. It's a little disappointing that there's absolutely no raised detail. Compared to the Tamiya Zero I just did which is the same price point that had a fantastic cockpit.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I had my first try at painting a checkerboard. All that tape stuck to the front of the desk was used for masking. In my mind, I was figuring 20, maybe 30 pieces total - boy was I wrong! It took about 4-5 hours from start to finish (not counting the black primer). I did a black-based white base coat, laid down the yellow, the added the dark gray (Mr. Color Midnight Blue) checkers. Masking the intersection where the elevators meet the rudder was kind of a son of a bitch.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 3, 2019

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Checked masking is a bitch and a half, and I can't imagine doing it with the canted pattern you've got going on, but that looks great!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
How do you drill holes of uniform sizes? I've seen someone use a reamer but I can't seem to find reamers small enough for minis/models

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

grassy gnoll posted:

Checked masking is a bitch and a half, and I can't imagine doing it with the canted pattern you've got going on, but that looks great!

I actually didn't mind doing all the masking. It is much more enjoyable than filling gaps and rescribing panel lines. I did the horizontal stabilizers first and learned a very important lesson - if there are protrusions, arrange the checkers so the protrusion is not at a seam. There was some sort of protrusion sticking up on the elevators that ended up being right at the intersection of 4 squares that made it difficult to get the tape to lay flat. On the vertical stabilizer, I planned the layout so that the protrusion on the leading edge and the indicator lights were not on any seams and that went much better. After this, invasion stripes are going to be a breeze.

On a somewhat related note, what is everybody's favorite and least favorite part of building models? For me, the favorite is painting the cockpit and least favorite is scribing panel lines (mainly because I tend to slip when rescribing and have to fill, sand, and re-rescribe.)

Phi230 posted:

How do you drill holes of uniform sizes? I've seen someone use a reamer but I can't seem to find reamers small enough for minis/models

Is there a reason a set of #61-#80 drills won't work? I know machinists use reamers when they need a very precise and very round hole, but I can't imaging that level of precision would matter in models.

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 3, 2019

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Also when I drilled the holes with a pin vise it left a lot of burrs and plastic bits that love to go back into the hole when I try to scrape or sand them off, in addition to the holes being uneven

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Drilling the hole again from the opposite direction usually sorts that out, plus a tiny bit of sanding just to make sure it's flat against the surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Just pushing the bit in and out a few times is usually enough to clean out the shavings.