Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Felix is trying to talk Ingrid out of dying like Glenn.

He fails because he is, above all, a teenager.

Also Sylvain has no idea how to interact with women which is why hes so awkward with Marianne. He genuinely wants to help her but again, teenagers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Felix is trying to talk Ingrid out of dying like Glenn.

He fails because he is, above all, a teenager.

Also Sylvain has no idea how to interact with women which is why hes so awkward with Marianne. He genuinely wants to help her but again, teenagers.

Teenagers emotionally stunted by trauma no less.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Saying she should be a wife and not a knight doesn’t seem to fit the setting even a little bit. Every noble seems to get trained in combat and is expected to fight regularly. They’re sending half trained kids into battle, for God’s sake.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

BurningStone posted:

Saying she should be a wife and not a knight doesn’t seem to fit the setting even a little bit. Every noble seems to get trained in combat and is expected to fight regularly. They’re sending half trained kids into battle, for God’s sake.

Charitably, it might be Felix rejecting that system altogether. He loathes chivalry, and as much as he seems to think the only thing that gives him value is strength and combat ability, its pretty clear that he doesn't want that for Ingrid and this might be the only way -however stunted and wrongheaded- he can imagine her getting out of that fate.

Also, about Ferdinand's philosophical position, I don't know if there's a better term for it than "teleology", or the belief that all things have an in-built purpose for which they're designed and are best off when fulfilling. It was a core of Aristotelian logic and thus became a crux of all European thought, philosophical and theological, in the middle ages. It was part of the authoritarian ethos of feudalism and spread into Calvinist predetermination in a manner, but it doesn't have to be a tool of vicious authoritarianism. Some thinkers in the 20th century thought that one of the critical ideological mistakes of the Enlightenment was trying to take away this intrinsic sense of purpose, creating a recipe for nihilistic capitalism or laying the foundation for people seeking meaning to find it as cogs in fascist machinery.

And that's all for my terrible summary of philosophical concepts. Since I'm posting, wanted to chime in and say that I'm really enjoying the LP, and I even enjoyed the talk about TEA. Looking forward to the next update.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Felix's problem with chivalry is the part where knights keep sacrificing themselves for their lords. He sees this as the reason why his brother died and really doesn't want anyone else doing the same crap. Given how Ingrid holds the values of knighthood in esteem, it's a concern with basis, too.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The Byleth tournament is beyond ridiculous. My latest Byleth was so absurdly, utterly, insanely blessed and even he struggled in it.

And, I haven't been able to confirm this myself, that Nuvelle battalion with the DEF+6 gambit apparently applies the buff the whole battle, not just one turn. So, drat good! As if +8 MAG on another wasn't strong enough.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Sinner Sandwich posted:

Also, about Ferdinand's philosophical position, I don't know if there's a better term for it than "teleology", or the belief that all things have an in-built purpose for which they're designed and are best off when fulfilling. It was a core of Aristotelian logic and thus became a crux of all European thought, philosophical and theological, in the middle ages. It was part of the authoritarian ethos of feudalism and spread into Calvinist predetermination in a manner, but it doesn't have to be a tool of vicious authoritarianism. Some thinkers in the 20th century thought that one of the critical ideological mistakes of the Enlightenment was trying to take away this intrinsic sense of purpose, creating a recipe for nihilistic capitalism or laying the foundation for people seeking meaning to find it as cogs in fascist machinery.

Do you mind if I put that in the update? This is interesting stuff.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Do you mind if I put that in the update? This is interesting stuff.

By all means, though I don't think I did a very good job of explaining it. If you want some better explanations of it, I know a good podcast that explains some of this stuff in a very comprehensive way for folks who don't have a backing in philosophy.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011

Sinner Sandwich posted:

By all means, though I don't think I did a very good job of explaining it. If you want some better explanations of it, I know a good podcast that explains some of this stuff in a very comprehensive way for folks who don't have a backing in philosophy.

I’d like to know the podcast.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

BurningStone posted:

I’d like to know the podcast.

It's Philosophize This! by Steven West.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/5QeUVCeJNGzW0BHSPanxFx?si=AL_OujWPTTa9M_upzPggRA

Here's one of the episodes relevant to Teleology and whether or not the Enlightenment was right (in the view of Leo Strauss) to do away with a structure of logic that necessitated Meaning and Purpose to things.

e: somehow forgot to paste the link, go me

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 24.
(SSLP Test Poster version.)

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Whew.

Y’know, I don’t think I’ve said this before, but big Credit to the artists doing Abby’s facial expressions. Her more empathetic emotions like concern and sadness always come through beautifully.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Anime dad, no!

Anime dad, no! Again!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I really appreciate Abby not losing her cool and going from zero to murder in minus five seconds. Good on the writers to remember the MC has limited time travel available.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Remembering that Divine Pulse is an option in-universe is UNBELIEVABLY refreshing after Fates ignoring Dragon Veins outside of gameplay or Echoes not updating its story at all to reflect Mila's Turnwheel.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Faillen Angel posted:

Remembering that Divine Pulse is an option in-universe is UNBELIEVABLY refreshing after Fates ignoring Dragon Veins outside of gameplay or Echoes not updating its story at all to reflect Mila's Turnwheel.

I can't think of any encounter in the story that would change by using the Turnwheel.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It's a little unfortunate that the event gets telegraphed so hard because it is honestly a well-done scene. Between his lack of supports, the fact that you can't give him presents, and his narrative role in the game, it's ends up kind of obvious how it's going to go.

As for Flayn, it's better to wait till her promotion at 20, since that'll guarenteed put her speed floor up to 12. I've honestly never had a Flayn who DIDN'T need that level 20 boost to up her speed.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

Keldulas posted:

It's a little unfortunate that the event gets telegraphed so hard because it is honestly a well-done scene. Between his lack of supports, the fact that you can't give him presents, and his narrative role in the game, it's ends up kind of obvious how it's going to go.

As for Flayn, it's better to wait till her promotion at 20, since that'll guarenteed put her speed floor up to 12. I've honestly never had a Flayn who DIDN'T need that level 20 boost to up her speed.

I love when games properly hide that stuff like this is coming, or even mis-direct you with that stuff
Ys 8 does it very well with some of it castaways

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I can't believe Jiraiya died, what a type cast

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tae posted:

I can't believe Jiraiya died, what a type cast

I only just noticed that they shared the same VAs.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 25.
(SSLP Test Poster version.)

Content warning: discussions of loss, grieving, death, and the emotions that come with each.

Also, we need to vote on who to take into the Sealed Forest. Abby is the only forced deployment, so you can vote for any of these characters:

• Edelgard
  • Hubert
  • Ferdinand
  • Linhardt
  • Caspar
  • Bernadetta
  • Dorothea
  • Petra
  • Felix
  • Sylvain
  • Annette
  • Mercedes
  • Ingrid
  • Lysithea
  • Marianne
  • Flayn
  • Shamir

Same rules as normal.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Hubert, Bernie, Dorothea

They're my three favorites.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Edelgard, Hubert, Sylvain.

While I do understand why you would be emotional about this moment... I'm sorry, playing way too many FE games ruined this for me. Jeralt may as well have had a giant flag over him that said "I AM GOING TO DIE" over him. The dead parent trope has been beaten to death from other FE games.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Oh and I know a lot of people dont get Hubert, but I get him. I understand his sense of duty and his application of logic instead of emotion.

slink_bot
Aug 1, 2016
Shamir, Dorothea and Caspar

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Caspar, Ferdinand, Shamir are all great

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

I can predict the future! And you're going to be OKAY.
I'm not sure I understand Hubert's motivations beyond blind devotion to Edelgard but against my better judgement I really like him.

Jeralt's death was poorly telegraphed in advance, but it was very touching to talk to everyone around Garreg Mach who offered advice, support or condolences.

Also his journal entries just make me angry at Rhea even more.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
The fact that fiction has power and sways us and we connect with the characters of it and gain meaning is always something integral to it. HOwever we identify and view the events, the characters, the circumstances.. The fact it can do this is often signs of it being good fiction. And that it hooks in those engaging in it. So.. Your own words on top of here to give significance and elaborate make reading it a lot more powerful (as someone who can't play the game) and give moments meaning.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
I'm of the opinion that despite the fact Jeralt's death was pretty telegraphed, it still completely works. In a way, it's like the Hitchcockian nature of suspense. Any player paying attention basically knows that the tragedy is coming, but not the exact nature or how it's handled, and it's not really a twist or anything so much as it is a major character moment for Abby and many others. Heck, they don't even totally go through with the move of his death cutting you off from the information, because his journal that he warned them to find has the information, almost as if even Jeralt himself could see the death flags and wasn't sure he could dodge them all.

It's not a punch in the gut because the player didn't see it coming. It's a punch in the gut because the characters didn't, and the game takes the time to explore their grief.

Unrelatedly, I like Hubert, the goofball. He's endearing to me.

Hubert, Petra, Dorothea.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I just want to stop for a moment to thank you for sharing such a personal story. I can definitely sympathise with crying at the end of a beloved series, regardless of age.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I remember crying at video games ending. The ones that come to mind are Grandia and Lunar 2 Eternal Blue on the approach to their final dungeons. When I was thinking 'man, this is it. Come along all this way, met and shared time with these characters, enjoyed their story and it's almost over. I'm sad to see them go.'
Similarly I've done the same with books and shows. It's sad to see good things end but all good things end.

Jadecore posted:

I'm of the opinion that despite the fact Jeralt's death was pretty telegraphed, it still completely works.

It's not a punch in the gut because the player didn't see it coming. It's a punch in the gut because the characters didn't, and the game takes the time to explore their grief.
I'd say Jeralt's death isn't the most impactful gut punch of the FE series (I'd give that to Greil in Path of Radiance) but that's more a consequence of how 3 houses is structured: he doesn't get as much time with the player as the students of your house do. He shares a rough standing with the rest of the faculty in terms of significance and unlike them he shows up a bit late. I think another another event or two between him and the PC showing/exploring their relationship (and teasing at the mysteries) would have done him well. The events I have in mind are, IIRC, pretty much summed up in some text boxes anyway ('hey it's been a bit, i hear your a professor now, hows that going?' and 'you led a mission to save people from being sacrificed by a crazy death knight on a horse underneath our own monastery, how you holding up?') but sometimes it pays to stretch out those moments and provide additional depth to the characters.

I'll be waiting to see if later plot beats recontextualize his death like certain beats in Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn does for Greil's though.

Edelgard, Lysithea, Shamir.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
Edelgard, Hubert, Lysithea.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Bernie leaving her room is super touching to me, too. I like how you're rewarded if you don't embarass her by making a big deal out of her leaving her room and just thank her instead.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Fear the edge of dawn.

Edelgard, Hubert, Lysithea.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Add me to the Hubert-likers; I wasn't super fond of him at first, but he grew on me after a while. I love one (1) scheming bastard man!

I wonder how I would feel about Jeralt's death if I went into it blind; knowing about an event in a story always takes some of the impact from it, even if it's also really obvious what will happen because this is fire emblem and we can't have good, alive dads in fire emblem. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I don't like Hubert in general (so far), but for my two cents on the subject of grief and dealing with loss, I appreciate his response to Jeralt's death. I'm one of those people who's found I handle grief best by throwing myself into work. If I sit still and ruminate, those feelings tend to eat me alive, so I always find something to do, something that gives me a sense of purpose. It helps me carry on, and I tend to feel that the person who died wouldn't want me to curl up and cry. Hubert seems to be the same way.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Like Clockwork posted:

Add me to the Hubert-likers; I wasn't super fond of him at first, but he grew on me after a while. I love one (1) scheming bastard man!

I wonder how I would feel about Jeralt's death if I went into it blind; knowing about an event in a story always takes some of the impact from it, even if it's also really obvious what will happen because this is fire emblem and we can't have good, alive dads in fire emblem. :v:

After playing most of these it’s astonishing that Eliwood survives FE6.

Hubert I realized pretty quickly is basically Snape, which added enough of a framework for how he acts to latch onto his softer moments rather than hating his abrasiveness. Although I also played BE first, so I was immediately getting supports and didn’t realize he has just one line about Jeralt here, which definitely makes a difference.

For the life of me I cannot remember ever seeing this Doro/Casper support. It’s weird seeing her immediately zero in on his boisterousness being a cover for feeling weak or looked down on, I don’t this this sorta complex ever shows in most of his supports even though it’s a natural explanation.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ragnar Homsar posted:

because even a year and a half after graduating, I still can't find a godsdamned entry-level software job that will take me.

Goddamn that hit close to home. I'm about to hit the year mark myself. I think the best part is constantly hearing everyone talk about how it's a hot field.

Caspar
Shamir
Hat

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

FoolyCharged posted:

Goddamn that hit close to home. I'm about to hit the year mark myself. I think the best part is constantly hearing everyone talk about how it's a hot field.

I'm sure it's hot if you're not stuck in California, where there's a glut of established companies that want the impossible out of you, because California is the Tech State. That's how that works, right?

I've had a sinking feeling of dread for a while that I ended up majoring in what might as well have been law for how saturated the job market for it is, all because I genuinely like programming.

It's also fun being LGBT+ and, therefore, feeling unsafe in most states that don't have absurd costs of living...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Right, votes, I forgot those.

quote:

Hubert: 5
Shamir: 5
Caspar: 4
Edelgard: 4
Dorothea: 4
Lysithea: 3
Bernadetta: 3
Petra: 3
Felix: 2
Ferdinand: 2

Felix and Ferdinand are tied for the 9th slot.

quote:

Annette: 1
Sylvain: 1